Dandelions and Lilies by Taiyoukai_Nile
Summary: Drabble for LJ community iy_fanfiction. Kagome should really stop thinking too much. (Inu/Kag)
Categories: Drabbles Characters: Inu Yasha, Kagome Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 746 Read: 1997 Published: 21 Apr 2009 Updated: 21 Apr 2009

1. Dandelions and Lilies by Taiyoukai_Nile

Dandelions and Lilies by Taiyoukai_Nile
InuYasha sneezed and Kagome grew concerned.

“You have been sneezing a lot. Are you okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, just the change in season,” the hanyou replied.

Kagome accepted his response as she had battle a sinus infection the previous week, which got her a well rested week in bed at home. She smiled remembering how her mother doted on her and sighed.

‘Sometimes I miss it. I am sure she does too,’ she thought.

InuYasha saw that she was still thinking and said, “Quit worrying, wench.”

The futuristic priestess smiled and her friend. However, inside her emotions were at work once more.

‘I wonder if he ever called Kikyo a wench,’ she wondered. ‘He probably did not as she is too perfect in his eyes. I would never be able to live up to his expectations. All I can do is be happy for him.’

All of a sudden she found herself out of her thoughts and nose to nose with InuYasha.

“You really should stop thinking so much, Kagome,” he said.

“I would not get in her face InuYasha. Last time you did, she sat you,” Shippou piped up.

“Shut up, runt,” InuYasha growled.

“We should set up camp. It is getting late,” Miroku said.

“Feh,” the silver-haired half demon replied, and then jumped up into the nearest tree.

Kagome sat down and started unpacking as Shippou scurried around the area and collected branches for the fire. When the fire was blazing and she had the water pot set over it, she let her thoughts drift.

She picked a nearby flower and brought it to her nose to smell it.

‘If I were a spring flower, I would be a dandelion and Kikyo would be a beautiful lily. I am not refined. I know some think I am mouthy. I cannot even control my power. It is like Fate decided to start over after Kikyo had died and got it all wrong,’ she frowned.

“Are you okay?” Sango asked her, drawing her out of her thoughts.

“Am I worthless?” Kagome asked.

Sango grew quiet with thought before she replied, “No, Kagome-chan. Why would you think that?”

“InuYasha keeps telling me about all of my shortcomings. I am beginning to believe it is true,” the priestess explained.

“InuYasha is rude. We all know that, but you and he have shared a lot. You cannot give up on him just because he tries to act like he does not care. He does or he would have left a long time ago,” Sango said, wrapping an arm around her.

“Can you finish dinner. I want to go think. Thanks, Sango-chan,” Kagome said, and then rose from the ground.

Kagome took up her bow and arrows before leaving as she had promised her group that she would at least carry them with her. Only minutes away, she reached a meadow filled with tall grass and lilies.

“Perfect! I can relax and have a little time to myself,” she said to herself softly.

She ventured through the waist high grass and settled in a spot, stamping down the grass so she could lay down.

“Ah, much better,” she sighed and laid down, her hands comfortably positioned behind her head.

She watched the clouds slowly roam across the darkening sky and by the time the sun had fully set, she heard InuYasha, “Hey Kagome. You missed dinner.”

“Yeah, I know. Just having some time alone,” she said as he settled down next to her.

“I heard what you and Sango were talking about,” he bluntly stated.

“Oh,” Kagome replied averting her eyes from him.

“I keep telling you to stop thinking so much for a reason,” he said gruffly.

“And why is that, InuYasha?” she asked.

“Because you dummy, I love you,” he replied, his voice soft and loving.

Kagome felt like the world had stopped. Her chest, which had been filled to the brim with hurt, finally broke loose, and she cried, “You are the dummy! Why did you not say that sooner? All this time I thought you were hung up on Kikyo and that is why you said those terrible things!”

InuYasha turned to his side and reached out to wipe her tears away.

“I am a bastard. I am not good with all these mushy feelings. I am sorry for hurting you. Damnit! It just has become a habit that I just cannot break!” he replied and then sneezed.

Kagome laughed and jumped on him, hugging him.
End Notes:
I do not own InuYasha. Copyright goes to Takahashi Rumiko.
This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1195