A Brief Interlude by ananova
Summary: In the aftermath of another argument with Inuyasha, Kagome storms off toward the well. What does she discover on the way there?
Categories: Drabbles Characters: Inu Yasha, Kagome Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: Inuyasha Challenge Responses
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 718 Read: 2086 Published: 01 Feb 2012 Updated: 01 Feb 2012

1. A Brief Interlude by ananova

A Brief Interlude by ananova

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Originally posted to At First Tweak on December 18, 2011 for Prompt #59 Red and Green.


Title: A Brief Interlude

Author: ananova

Rating: T

Genre: Friendship

Universe: Canon

Word Count: 614

Summary: In the aftermath of another argument with Inuyasha, Kagome storms off toward the well. What does she discover on the way there?




“Inconsiderate, rude, obnoxious jerk!” Kagome grumbled as she stomped through the forest. “He makes me so mad! Ooh!” She threw her hands up in the air angrily as she continued toward the well.


It was the same old story. They had returned to Kaede's village and Kagome had mentioned wanting to go home for a while. Inuyasha had immediately spoken up against the idea, demanding that she remain in this time. That had led to the usual argument which ended when she 'sat' Inuyasha and stormed away, muttering angrily about what a jerk the hanyou was.


Snap!


Kagome's head shot up as her ranting cut off. She began to warily look around for the source of the sound. Another twig snapped and she jerked her head to her left but saw nothing. She gulped as she remembered that Inuyasha hadn't yet had a chance to run through the forest and make sure that no youkai had settled in in their absence. Her hands automatically reached for her bow and arrows, only to grasp at nothing. She stifled an uncharacteristic curse as she realized she had left her weapons at Kaede's hut.


“Who's there?” she called upon hearing another twig snap. She immediately berated herself. 'Nice going. If by some chance whatever it is didn't know I was here before, it does now.' She moved so her back was to a tree as she again tried to spot whatever was making the noise while simultaneously judging the distance to the well in case she had to make a run for it. No further twigs snapped and she began to relax.


Creak!


Her head shot up as the branch above her protested something large landing on it. The scream died in her throat as she spotted the familiar red amongst the green leaves and she nearly wilted in relief. “Inuyasha,” she breathed out. Then, her fear faded and anger took it's place. “Osuwari!”


“Gah!” Thud! “What was that for?!” Inuyasha demanded as he pried his face from the ground.


“For trying to scare the living daylights out of me! Why were you sneaking around?” Absently she wondered how he was able to do just that while dressed in bright red. Really, the red stood out way too much against the green of the forest. She brushed those thoughts aside as she continued to glare at her friend.


“Keh! I wasn't sneaking!” He stood, crossing his arms over his chest. “Besides, if you're gonna be so determined to wander through the forest by yourself then someone's gotta keep an eye on ya and make sure ya don't get yourself killed.” He turned his head away.


Her anger immediately died off as she realized that he was only looking out for her, like always. Even after their argument and being 'sat' he was making sure that she was safe. “Thank you,” she said quietly.


“Feh,” was all he said but she noticed the faint color on his cheeks. She smiled and took his hand as she resumed her walk toward the well.


They walked in silent companionship, their earlier troubles forgotten. Upon reaching the wooden structure the girl dressed in green turned to her companion in red. “I will be back soon, I promise.”


Conflicting emotions flitted across his face before Inuyasha sighed and crossed his arms over his chest. “You better. Or else I'll come looking for ya,” he mock-threatened. “And don't forget the ramen!”


With a laugh, Kagome swung her legs over the side of the well and let the magic of the well engulf her. Some things would never change.

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2083