Her Life by Daphneshaggydoo
Summary: "I, Kagome Higurashi, hereby make this my last will and testament...."
Categories: General, Drabbles, Angst/ Drama Characters: Kagome Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 16512 Read: 128593 Published: 27 Feb 2012 Updated: 22 Feb 2013

1. Her Will by Daphneshaggydoo

2. Marco Polo by Daphneshaggydoo

3. His Inheritance by Daphneshaggydoo

4. The First Entry by Daphneshaggydoo

5. Wonderful News and The Decision by Daphneshaggydoo

6. O' Blessed Day by Daphneshaggydoo

7. To Him by Daphneshaggydoo

8. Concerns by Daphneshaggydoo

9. What To Do by Daphneshaggydoo

10. Proud by Daphneshaggydoo

11. The Loss by Daphneshaggydoo

12. Anniversary by Daphneshaggydoo

13. Moving by Daphneshaggydoo

14. Watching by Daphneshaggydoo

15. Incidents by Daphneshaggydoo

16. Ponderings by Daphneshaggydoo

17. Around The Corner by Daphneshaggydoo

18. Bothersome by Daphneshaggydoo

19. Unthinkable by Daphneshaggydoo

20. Prolonging The Truth by Daphneshaggydoo

21. In A Land Far, Far Away by Daphneshaggydoo

22. Letting Go by Daphneshaggydoo

Her Will by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 1 – “Her Will”


“I, Kagome Higurashi, resident of Tokyo, Japan, being of sound mind and strong (well, semi-strong) body, hereby make this my last Will and testament. Any other Will’s that are found shall now and forever be, revoked and non-existent.

My full name is (or now I should say ‘was’) Kagome Higurashi; the date of my birth being April 24, 1982 in Tokyo, Japan. My mother’s name was Arisu Nakashima and my father’s name being Satoru Higurashi.

Not once have I ever been married. And as per earlier request with my family I would like that no one knew this detail for a while for reasons previously stated. They will know when to tell such information.

However, I do have two sons. Though never were they legally under my guardianship (i.e. officially naming me as their adoptive mother) they are still my boys. My wonderful boys – their names are:

Hikaru Higurashi - DOB 1/1/1882 (demon records) ~ 1/1/2001 (human records)
Hitoshi Higurashi – DOB 9/1/1900 (demon records) ~ 9/1/2009 (human records)

Once again, the details regarding my children are not to be revealed until the proper time.

In the event that I do pass on before my children (who are technically my nephews) come to be the age of men, I leave them in the care of their legally adoptive father, my brother, Sota Higurashi. I appoint no other “guardian” for them for no one else will be able to take care of my children. Sota and I were the only ones who knew/know how special they truly are.

With regard to the property that I owned in life, it is to be divided as follows:

Immediately after my death, all deeds and land papers concerning the “Sunset Shrine” and any other acreage I own will be transferred into Sota Higurashi’s name and care. I trust him to take care of it just as Mama and Gramps taught us growing up. I also leave to you one third of whatever money there may be of mine. Use it well.

To Hikaru and Hitoshi I leave the rest of my money and all of my worldly possessions EXCLUDING the large wooden trunk setting at the foot of my bed and its contents. (Along with what is stated above.) Do with it as you will, my boys, and may you lead long and happy lives.

Finally, I leave my large wooden trunk, including all its contents, to the most influential person that has ever entered into my life. (I just hope that you can find him) I do not know what name he goes by now, (for, no doubt, he has changed it again) but when I knew him; his name was simply “Inuyasha”. If you are able to deliver my trunk to him I would appreciate it, though I must ask that it be someone from the law firm to surrender it to him. For reasons know to my family, I truly do not wish for him to know my state of life and health before my death. Also, I request that this trunk not be given to him until at least twenty years after my death – he’ll blame himself too much if you don’t.

I, Kagome Higurashi, hereby sign this will at Tokyo, Japan on this day – 19 December, 2011 and state that it is, and forever will be, my final wishes for my life’s possessions.

My love to all of those I left behind.”
End Notes:
A/N – Total words ~ 578

Yet ANOTHER brain child of mine that was in need of getting out of my noggin. The basics of this story is that the trunk that Inuyasha will receive is filled with journals detailing the life of Kagome from when she left the well until her death. Most of the writings aren’t just letting her feelings out but are actually addressed to him – like “Dear Inuyasha”. Kagome felt like it was some sort of therapy; a way to function and move on with her life by “sharing” it with Inuyasha.

But what he finds in the last of the journals will shock him straight to the core.

Sorry I haven’t been updating much as usual – been going nuts here. Got a job at Jo-Ann Fabrics, then another part-time job at our 4-H Extension Office. Then to top it all off I have to keep an eye on dad because we think he’s got short term memory loss. Fun…  >_<

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
Marco Polo by Daphneshaggydoo
NOTE ~ PLEASE READ A/N AT END TO UNDERSTAND FUTURE CHAPTERS!

Her Life – Chapter 2 – “Marco Polo”


It was quite funny. Kagome had stated in her will to wait twenty years before handing over her trunk to this “Inuyasha”. The comical part of it all was that it actually took his law firm twenty-five years just to find him.

Of course he had thought Sota was delusional when it was revealed to him the secret his sister’s double life. However, when he was shown the evidence that backed up such a claim, his eyes were opened up to a whole other world filled to the brim with demons; most of which had no interest in helping a human lawyer.

Sure, the mystical creatures lived among the humans; some even in plain sight, but, that didn’t mean that they liked the mortal population. Not a single demon would help him in his search…

That is until about ten years ago.

During that period was when the youkai class decided to reveal themselves to Japan; wanting to live freely instead of behind their human masks. Surprisingly, Japan’s residents had welcomed them with open arms; not once ever being fearful of the supernatural creatures. Yet one person still hadn’t been revealed – the hanyou Inuyasha.

~~~~

Fifteen years more was how much longer it had taken Hojo to track down the mysterious hanyou. Fortunately, he was a patient man, but he wondered, in the long run, just how the entire situation surrounding Kagome’s death and the time elapsed that had passed since would come to flourish itself into something even worse. Would there be future repercussions?

Guess there was no time like the present to get the ball rolling.

After a four hour drive into the mountains, Hojo finally reached the almost hidden walkway that would lead him even further up into the foothills. Pulling out a collapsible wagon, the now fifty-four year old lawyer loaded the wooden trunk and began to make his way to what was hopefully the home of the man he’d been trying to find all these years. Hopefully this “Inuyasha” wouldn’t be upset that it took so long to find him. That is, if he released that bit of information.

~~~~

“Amazing” was too trivial a word to describe the huge house that stood next to the rocky alcove of the mountain. The outside appeared as if the entire thing was created through years upon years of standing through the elements. The weather beaten walls held such a beauty to them that the entire house appeared as if it was created for the God’s themselves. He just knew that Kagome would have loved it; she had always enjoyed things that had an older sense to them.

Pulling himself out of his reverie, Hojo continued to make his way up to the front door. After setting the trunk beside him and straightening up his suit, the lawyer gently rapped the door three times and not even a second later did the door open to reveal a familiar face he had not seen for over twenty years.

“Yes, may I help you?”

Closing his gaping mouth, Hojo bowed and responded, “Good afternoon. I’m with the law firm of Nakamura, Hojo, and Cline and I’m here to call on a man that, from what I’ve been told, lives at this residence. My research shows that he could have possibly gone by the name of ‘Inuyasha’ at one time. Might he be in? I’ve got some business to discuss with him.”

Obviously the name that was mentioned had surprised the woman standing before him, but, he noticed, that she quickly regained her cool and stepped out of the doorway to allow him to walk into her home. A questioning glance was thrown his way when he pulled the cart with the trunk in after him, but, Hojo figured everything would be explained soon enough so he left her silent question hang. Once again asking if the man he was searching for was home.

“If you will please follow me I will lead you to his study.”

~~~~

The familiar woman led him to the study, poured him some tea, and left to find, and hopefully bring back, Inuyasha. While waiting he noticed the paintings that lined the walls. Each had one thing in common; they were all scenes from the Feudal Era. Every one of them different, yet you could see the same people and settings repeated. There were only four that he saw heavily constant though; an elder priestess, a monk, what appeared to be some sort of slayer and her cat, and finally, Inuyasha himself. Hojo recognized him instantly from the few photos that Sota had showed him.

He got closer to one of the paintings, just to get a better look, and noticed the name of the artist written in the corner. Before he could investigate it more though, a voice stopped him.

“I see you have an eye for fine art as well.”

Turning, Hojo didn’t find Inuyasha, but an older gentleman that had just a few hints of Inuyasha’s features. Figuring it was just a concealment spell to fool him; Hojo straightened his suit again and bowed slightly in respect.

“Hello my name is Akitoki Hojo and I’m with the law firm of Nakamura, Hojo, and Cline. To whom do I owe the pleasure of speaking?”

Hojo noticed the frown that marred his face. Had he done this man wrong before perhaps?

“I am Miroku Fujioka and the woman whom you met earlier was my wife Sango. What business do you have with me?”

Wanting to get to the point, “Miroku” had them both sit down while the woman from earlier came back in with snacks and fresh tea. Hojo quickly pulled the important documents out of his briefcase. He wanted to get this over with quickly, he could tell that this man wasn’t too happy to have him in his home, though he couldn’t quite pinpoint why. But onto business -

“I must say you are a very hard man to track down. Took me quite a while, but the point is that I’m here now. Mam, I don’t know if this will affect you as well so you might want to stay for this.”

Sango, who was almost out the door, took a seat beside Miroku; ready to hear what Hojo had to say.

“Will you please get on with it? I’m a busy man.”

“Of course; I am here because you sir have inherited something in one of my client’s will’s.” He waved his hand to the chest setting near the wall.

“If you will allow me, I will read her will verbatim.”

The yellowed paper crinkled as it was unfolded, declaring that it wished not to be read, but Hojo knew this was important. He began to read,

“I, Kagome Higurashi, resident of Tokyo, Japan, being of sound mind and strong (well, semi-strong) body, hereby make this my last Will and testament. Any other Will’s that are found shall now and forever be, revoked and non-existent.”

A barely audible gasp erupted from the old man across from him and sadness overtook his face. Was he honestly in so much shock?

Hojo skipped to the part involving the man before him.

“Finally, I leave my large wooden trunk, including all its contents, to the most influential person that has ever entered into my life. (I just hope that you can find him) I do not know what name he goes by now, (for, no doubt, he has changed it again) but when I knew him; his name was simply “Inuyasha”. If you are able to deliver my trunk to him I would appreciate it.

I, Kagome Higurashi, hereby sign this will at Tokyo, Japan on this day – 19 December, 2011 and state that it is, and forever will be, my final wishes for my life’s possessions.

My love to all of those I left behind.”

When Hojo looked back up from the will, the elderly gentleman was gone and in his place was the hanyou Inuyasha. The woman beside him had her arm wrapped tightly around his shoulders; obviously trying to keep her emotions in check. Inuyasha though, his face was unreadable. So many emotions were overcoming his face at once that no one could give a precise name to it. Did Kagome truly mean so much to him?

With bating breath, Inuyasha stood and eased his way towards the trunk where he ran his clawed fingers over the lid gently; seemingly lost in his thought. Never had Hojo seen a man look so forlorn and broken. He suspected he should hurry the paperwork along so that he could leave Inuyasha to his thoughts.

“Pardon,” Sango interjected. “Do you know what is in the trunk?”

“I don’t really think that matters at the moment Kikyo.” Inuyasha’s deadpan voice sounded throughout the room. A deep breath was taken and Inuyasha removed himself from beside the chest and heatedly grabbed a pen from his desk while he faced the older lawyer sitting before him. Anyone could tell from just a glance just how badly this news was hurting him.

“What the hell do I have to sign?”

Honestly, Hojo couldn’t blame the man for being so blunt. He’d just revealed to him that a woman, who had apparently had a huge impact on his life, had died. If he were in that same boat he would certainly be acting the same way. The one thing he couldn’t figure out though was if Kagome possibly played such an important role in his life, then why hadn’t this man been a part of hers? Not once had Kagome ever talked about this man in all the years he’d known her. Was there a reason this man was kept so secretive?

Sensing that Inuyasha was getting impatient, the forms were immediately whipped out and signed off on, the chest unloaded and set against the wall, and, Hojo’s briefcase closed and tucked under his arm. With the cart rolling along behind him, Hojo followed “Sango”, whose real name was apparently Kikyo, to the front door. One last thought crossed his mind though and, before stepping out the front door, returned to the study to take one last look at the paintings.

“You know, she must have meant an awful lot to you to have some of her paintings.” He stated while staring at a particular piece.

“What are you talking about? No one knows who even painted these.” Inuyasha harshly answered. Did he really annoy him that much?

“I beg to differ. Kagome always did hide her signature in her artwork. This one for example,” Hojo pointed to the larger work of art over the mantel piece; the huge tree overtaking the canvas being recognized almost immediately. “One can’t see it unless they look hard enough, but for me, I can see her mark clearly amongst its leaves.”

Out of the corner of his eye, the lawyer noticed Inuyasha come to stand next to him to gaze intently at the painting. After a few minutes of silence, Hojo decided to leave the hanyou to his own devices since he, of course, had a four hour drive back home.

~~~~

It wasn’t until hours later that Inuyasha finally spotted Kagome’s words within the branches of the painted Sacred Tree and quite frankly he wasn’t happy with what he found. In a way, he didn’t quite understand what the words meant, yet, in another light, he thought that he did.

Guessing that he had used his brain enough for the night, Inuyasha turned to head to bed but not before taking one last glance at the now bold words staring him right in the face. He wondered again why she signed it like that.

Just why did she call herself “The Lonesome Miko”?
End Notes:
A/N – Total word count ~ 1,976

IMPORTANT – You are all probably suspecting drama within the folds of Kagome’s journals, but, you must understand that the entries will be of about a “happy life” that Kagome lived. This is a world that she created for Inuyasha so he wouldn’t worry. But the life within the pages isn’t what happened in real life. What actually happened will be revealed in the last of her journals, which she wrote on her deathbed – wishing to make everything right before leaving the living. This info won’t be revealed until the final chapters though.

As you may have noticed, Inuyasha is married to Kikyo in this fiction. THIS WILL BE EXPLAINED IN TIME. It is actually a huge part of what will come to manifest at the end of this fic. Also, they are using Sango and Miroku’s name because A) they’re paying homage to them & B) obviously they needed to change their names every few decades.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
His Inheritance by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 3 – “His Inheritance”


It had been days since the old wooden chest had come to take up residence within the confines of the Fujioka household. Not a sole had even dared to neither touch it nor open it to discover what lay within its depths for fear of being punished. All could tell that the hanyou who received it was in a depressed state, though none could figure out why. Of course they’d heard stories of Kagome Higurashi and her adventures surrounding the Shikon Jewel and Inuyasha’s group of friends, but, not one of them had known that the clumsy girl had meant so much to him, or that he would take her death so hard.

Said hanyou was in the study now; seemingly going over paperwork, but the elderly woman sitting across from him could tell that his eyes were wondering over and over again to the trunk.

“Why don’t you just open it Inuyasha?”

A growl was her only reply as he slammed his work down and walked over to the window to gaze out into the garden.

The old woman stood and made her way over to the incredibly quiet man. Never in all her years had she ever seen him in this way; not when he was searching for the shards or when he started his new life with Kikyo. This was a whole other side to Inuyasha that no one had ever seen before; and it scared her.

She had already cried her tears over the news and now she needed to help Inuyasha to release his. Gently, she laid a hand on his shoulder in silent comfort and it was no surprise to her when a clawed hand rested atop her knurled one.

“No one will hold it against you Inuyasha if ye let your emotions free.” She gave his shoulder a squeeze. “It is to be expected.”

“It wasn’t supposed to be this way Kaede.”

Anyone could hear the emotions laced in his voice. The once-priestess didn’t blame him for being so upset; it was just one of those things to be expected. If only the poor boy would learn to let it all out instead of keeping it bottled up inside.

She let out a slight sigh before removing her hand and moving to exit the room. One last thing was just irking her to be said though so she turned to throw Inuyasha one last thought.

“You know, there must be something pretty important in there if Kagome took the time to leave it to you in the event of her death. Surely there is possibly a trinket or such that she wished you to have. Will you really dishonor her by letting it set by the wall for the rest of your life?”

Those words tumbled in his head as old Kaede closed the door. What in the world would Kagome ever want to leave him? Was it truly something so worthwhile? Now he couldn’t stop wondering. His eyes were now gazing at the weathered-looking lid and his legs were moving towards it of their accord. Even his arms had joined in the fun; deciding to open the trunk without ever being prompted. What he found inside struck him odd though.

There were stacks upon stacks of old journals, all of which had a year engraved upon each cover. Amongst them were other small knickknacks as well; a couple old pictures here, what he supposed were a couple of her sketches, and even the old glass bottle she used to keep the jewel shards in. He supposed there was more than that, but, his eyes though kept flittering back to the books. Why did she leave him a bunch of journals? Shouldn’t they have gone to her brother?

With curiosity getting the better of him, Inuyasha grasped the first journal in the stack, sat Indian style, and began to read.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 645

To clear up any confusion, yes, the Kaede mentioned is actually Lady Kaede from the past. Yes, she is alive, not a reincarnate either. All will be explained soon.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
The First Entry by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 4 – “The First Entry”


July 3, 1497/1997

Dear Diary,

A wonderful thing has happened today, but, a damper has been put on our parade as well.

We’ve finally defeated Naraku and the whole jewel is now ours, but, I fear that it has come at a price. When Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Kikyo, and I delivered the final combined blow something terrible happened.

Somehow, a couple of Naraku’s tentacles scourged the attack and came straight towards Kikyo and I. Neither of us were scared, we were prepared to die, but fear consumed us instantly when Inuyasha jumped before us and took the hits for us. As you know, he’s done this before, but this was worse than all of the other times. He took an appendage to his gut and the other dangerously close to his heart. We’ve already had to bring him back to us twice and I have a feeling that we’ll have to again. Plus I’ve been attempting to sew him back together the entire time. Hopefully I’ve hooked everything up right and none of my stitching comes loose, but, you know I have my doubts.

It was scary; none of us had any idea that any miasma had been pumped into him, so much so that even my skin is marred because of my continued contact with it. I think I even frightened Kikyo a bit with how I was frantically working to piece all of his innards back together. But it had to be done. Honestly, if I hadn’t of been here with my medical book I think Inuyasha would be dead by now.

I’m afraid though, more like scared to death actually, that we are going to lose him. It’s the night of the new moon and although it isn’t sunset he is already writhing somewhat in pain. I can see the worry etched in everyone’s eyes. We are all praying that he’ll survive the night. Kikyo especially.

Did I remember to tell you that Kikyo has agreed to stay on this plain as she is? She and Inuyasha have decided to stay by each other’s sides until the day he dies. They feel it would be better to live and see the world blossom and change than to burn in the fiery pits of hell.

I am happy for them. They deserve to be happy, they all do.

All we must do now is make sure that he survives the night. You know, I once told Kikyo that Inuyasha would be lost if she ever died. She even told me the same thing. However, I think she would die of a broken heart if anything ever happened to Inuyasha. I just hope that that doesn’t ever happen.

I must stop now for it is getting dangerously close to sunset and I can already tell that it is going to be a long night.

I only pray to all the God’s above that Inuyasha will survive the night.

~Kagome H.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 497

The first entry in Kagome’s journal. You guys can probably tell when it takes place.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!!!!
Wonderful News and The Decision by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 5 – “Wonderful News and the Decision”


July 10, 1497/1997

Dear Diary,

You’ve no idea how ecstatic I am right now! Inuyasha made it through his human night even though there were a few bumps along the way. To make a long story short and without going into too much detail, I ended up having to give Inuyasha open heart massage most of the night just to keep him breathing. It was disturbing having to do such a thing, but, when it comes to Inuyasha, I would lay my very life on the line for him if it meant that he would live.

It did take a couple extra days to allow his demon blood to work the miasma out of his system but everything is just fine and dandy now. Since the goal of destroying Naraku has been fulfilled our focus has been turned to preparing for two delightful events – the planning of two weddings.

That’s right. Four certain people in our little group are planning on having a double wedding within the next few days and everyone is buzzing around like crazy just to make sure everything is prepared. Since Kikyo joined the group, she, Sango, and I have basically become the three caballeros so there was certainly no problem when the idea was proposed to have one big double wedding instead of two small ceremonies.

So I am happy to announce that in just two days’ time, Sango and Miroku along with Kikyo and Inuyasha will be husband and wife.

Of course I’m trying to help out with the preparations as much as possible but as you can understand I don’t exactly know how the whole wedding thing works in this era. I hope I’m not doing anything wrong.

There is one thing that has laid heavily on my mind throughout all of this though; the fate of the sacred jewel. I’ve come up with so many paths to travel down that I just don’t know which to choose, although I have a pretty good idea of which one I’m leaning towards. I’ll have to keep the details to myself though because I know a certain person would be furious if they knew what I was planning.

You know what? I am going to make that wish no matter what the consequences are.

With any luck everything will go smoothly. The one thing that I know will happen is that the wish will be made before the wedding and the after effects will please one of the two lucky couples greatly; of that fact I am sure.

I wish I could explain things further but I can hear Sango calling me. Let’s just hope that my little escapade goes well, after all, we all know how the jewel tends to twists the wishes it is asked.

I guess I’ll get back to you after the wedding.

~ Kagome H.

~~~~

Inuyasha stared down at the second entry in puzzlement. Would the life entailed within these hundreds of pages reveal to him what happened to the Shikon Jewel? Or perhaps, did he already know? These two questions moved his mind into overtime as he tried to decrypt the many, many cliffhangers left within her first two entries alone.

Forgoing sleep for the night, Inuyasha cozied up to a spot by the roaring fireplace and let his memories travel back to the years gone by. Back to what was, hands down, one of the happiest days in his life.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 582

DOUBLE UPDATE FOR YOU ALL!!!! Cause I love you guys so much and with how popular this story is getting I figured you all deserved a treat for reading!!!

SPECIAL SHOUTOUT TO LadyyT013!!!!!!

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!!!!
O' Blessed Day by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 6 – “O’ Blessed Day”


*Feudal Era – Day of the wedding*

Never in all his life had he been so nervous. Then again, he, a hanyou, never once expected a day to come that he would be married either. Was he doing the right thing? Would the God’s punish him for marrying a priestess?

No, they were smiling down upon him and he was grateful. Why else would such a wondrous thing have happened to Kikyo?

Thinking of Kikyo made him smile. When she started preparing for the wedding a whole different side of the conservative priestess emerged to plan the event. She was so excited about getting married that she just couldn’t contain her happiness. The woman that was busily bustling around warmed the hanyou’s heart in ways it never had before because now he saw the true person Kikyo was and not the false front she had held up for so many years.

It was just too bad that he couldn’t see her right now, but, at least he had a buddy to suffer right along with him until the wedding started. Dear God the monk was a nervous wreck, pacing all over the place and mumbling to himself all the damn time. Inuyasha was just about ready to knock him out if he didn’t have to face Kagome and Sango’s wrath. His anger was nearly ready to get the best of him, but hearing the excited women in the next hut certainly calmed his inner turmoil immediately.

~~~

“Oh Kaede,” Kikyo spoke as he fingered the clothing in her hands. “I can’t believe you kept it for all these years.” Tears were coming to her eyes as her younger, well, older sister caressed the find silk along with her.

“Ye know, I once thought I would wear it at my own wedding. I guess it’s a bit late for that now.” She cleaned her face of tears and went back to preparing for the wedding.

“You never know Kaede; your soul mate could appear and sweep you off your feet at any given moment.”

Kikyo nodded, eagerly agreeing. “She is right. Besides, mother would be proud if both her daughters wore her wedding kimono, no matter what age either may be.” She hugged her sister tightly.

The elder woman chuckled as she moved to help her sister into her clothing. “Though it is a nice thought I don’t believe there is a man alive that would want to marry me.”

“Just remember one thing Kaede, ‘expect the unexpected’. After all, we’ve certainly had a lot of surprises today. So what’s one more?”

Kagome smiled knowingly before taking another sip of her tea, not one of the other women noticing her slip in a slight pinch of herbs.

~~~~

It was almost time to begin; the boys were waiting near the village center with Kaede along with the entire village. The townspeople will amazed them with how accepting they were of the entire situation and had even banded together to prepare a feast in celebration of the two marriages. All that was left now was to start the procession to the men, but, Kagome had one last thing for the two women before her.

“There is a tradition in my era that I thought we could use here if you want. It’s sort of a tradition.” Not revealing her surprise, she began pulling items out of her bag and adorning her two best girlfriends.

“Something old,” Each girl received a bracelet made from the necklace that the Shikon Jewel once hung on, though neither girl noticed this. “Something blue,” A small, decorative handkerchief, “Something borrowed,” Two ornate hair clips were put into place. “And,” Kagome pulled out two velvet boxes and handed one to each woman. “Something new.”

The brides collectively gasp when they saw their wedding presents. Each received a gorgeous golden heart pennant necklace with a single diamond taking up residence within its center. On the back of each there was a heartfelt inscription, both stating each name of the couple and then the words “Our love shall never be lost, and death will have no dominion.” A take on a famous storyline, one that Kikyo and Sango felt described their relationships with their soon-to-be husbands.

“Oh Kagome this is too much!”

“Nonsense Sango,” Ushering them out of the hut, “Now you two better get going, your future husbands are waiting.”

“But,”

“No buts,” Kagome shoed them outside, “I wanted you both to have something from my era and this was what Mama and I came up with. Now get going! You’ve got two handsome men waiting for you and I don’t think they’re going to what forever!”

~~~~

Both couples were amazed at the sheer volume of attendants. They had only expected the village inhabitants but what they got was more than that. Humans and even demons that the group had saved over the years made up the huge crowd surrounding the wedding alter. Never had any of them ever thought that all these people would show up. It made them happy to see all the people who wanted to share in their special day.

The brides were a sight to behold; dressed in all the proper attire for the time period. The grooms themselves had to pick their jaws up off the ground at the sight of their soon- to-be wives. Kikyo and Sango (to them) had never looked so feminine before and they stole everyone’s breath at their beauty. But now wasn’t the time to lollygag, there were weddings to preform!

Kagome even went as far as to video tape everything and take photographs as she stood by the alter, for not only was she recording the event, but she was also standing of place of two families. The young miko stood proudly as the representative of both Kikyo and Miroku’s kin, since Kaede couldn’t (as she was officiating) and Miroku had no living family left. It thoroughly surprised everyone though when Sesshomaru showed up with Rin in what appeared to be their very best.

Would this day be the beginning of the road to recovery of Inuyasha and Sesshomaru’s brotherly bond?

She just wished she could see the outcome.

Her mood instantly brightened though when she saw Inuyasha grasp Kikyo’s hands; her warm hands. Yet is also brought on a sense of sadness for she knew the circumstances behind such a “miracle” and the things that had to be sacrificed to make such a life changing event happen. But, Kagome knew in the end just how it would affect their lives and exactly how different everything was going to be.

Pausing, she took another sip of her herb laced tea…

~~~~

The festivities were in full swing now. A battery operated boom box from the modern era was playing soft music throughout the entire village center. Everyone was having a grand time, especially the two couples of honor. Each pair stared lovingly into their partner’s eyes as they danced and feasted along with all the other attendants. Even Sesshomaru had allowed Rin to dance with him a time or two. It truly was a time of togetherness.

“Are ye having fun child?”

Shading her eyes from the blazing sun, Kagome moved to gaze up at the elderly priestess while said woman was sitting down next to her.

“Oh yes. It’s nice to see everyone so joyous and carefree.” Another sip of tea.

Noticing the frown that marred Kaede’s face, the young priestess just continued to watch the dancing crowd and sip her tea once again.

“Child,” Kaede began nervously, “I’ve been sensing something within…”

“Don’t.” She kept her eyes trained on the crowd.

The old woman eyed her worriedly, obviously knowing something was up with her sister’s reincarnation.

“You don’t need to worry about anything. I know what I’ve done and I will accept the consequences with open arms. Today’s focus needs to be on the two lovely couples not me.”

“Ye can’t be serious.”

“Can’t be serious about what?” A new voice entered the conversation. Both women looked up and saw a newlywed hanyou staring at them.

“Oh nothing; you know how some girls can be.” Kagome smiled before gulping down the rest of her cup when she saw Inuyasha’s nose twitch.

Silently, Inuyasha offered his hand to Kagome in request to rise and join him. When she did the young miko was thoroughly surprised when Inuyasha placed one hand in hers and the other near her lower back and begin to dance. Her breath was taken away by how flawless his moves were. Within minutes she realized exactly why the movements he was guiding her with seemed so familiar; they were waltzing.

“I had to do something while you were at school.” Was his reply when she’d questioned as to where he’d learned such a modern dance.

It felt as if they’d danced for hours before he’d finally pulled her off to the side and gotten her something to drink along with something precious she would keep with her for the rest of her life.

Lovingly, for the first time she could remember, Inuyasha tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and then laced a beautiful rose through her hair above said ear.

~~~~

*Current Time*

Little did he know that that moment would be the last time that he would ever see her. Mere moments after he’d spoken and seen her eyes sparkle he was called off by his bride to join her in their new hut since it was so close to sunset and with one last goodnight, Inuyasha had left without a second thought. Now the hanyou wished he had known just what was going through the teen’s mind at the time so that, possibly, he would have been able to stop it. The following morning, he’d recalled, had brought sadness to a time that was supposed to be happy when the group discovered that their young companion was gone, without even one goodbye to boot. Inuyasha wanted Kagome to share in these new happy times in his life, not abandon everyone. Was it something that any one of them had done? Could the outcome have been prevented?

Would these dozens of journals provide the answers to the questions that have been plaguing the hanyou’s mind for years?

The only way to find this out of course was to continue reading, so that was what he did.

Opening the book to his place, Inuyasha removed the bookmark and flipped to the next page only to reveal something he never thought would be seen again. Pressed between the page and a clear piece of plastic was the very rose he had given her on that fateful day. What amazed him more were the five simple yet significant words, written in her hand that lay beneath the rose,

“He said I was beautiful.”

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 1,817

Sorry for the late update. Work has been calling me in like crazy, then there’s 4-H starting up again, and of course the sleep deprivation. Then I had a fight with my dad regarding him not taking his breathing treatments and meds correctly – let’s just say I finally got it through his skull that he wasn’t taking care of himself and now he is.

Also, on DeviantArt my group IY-Unsung-Spirits is having a Fanart contest for “Odd Ball Couples” of the Inuyasha fandom. Full rules can be found in their journal. Anyone is welcome to participate even if you’re not a member of the group.

“If Only In Reality” will be the next story updated.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
To Him by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 7 – “To Him”

It was becoming harder and harder to stay focused on his work knowing that just across the room a lone book held the answer to what had happened next in his klutzy friend’s life. More and more time passed while his mind kept going back to the page with the pressed rose. Did it truly mean so much to her that he’d said such a thing? Nah, it couldn’t of, she was just a kid at the time right?

Or was he wrong?

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Inuyasha continued to fill out paperwork for his clients and current work, but, within minutes that annoying little voice came rolling back. Stopping to think for a moment, he did have some vacation time coming. Should he take that time to go through the huge trunk still sitting in his study?

Decision made, the hanyou tucked away all his paperwork, shut off his computer, and made his way over to the red faced book that was practically begging to be read. (Which it obviously had been) He took a moment to finger the outer binding before jumping out a window to take a seat in a nearby tree. Taking a deep breath, seemingly to calm his nerves, Inuyasha opened the journal to the marked page. Once again he took a moment to finger the dull color rose before turning to the next page. What he was now reading caused his eyes to widen.

“Dearest Inuyasha,

I know that you must be frustrated with me right now. No, I should say full blown angry. You’re probably also wondering ‘Why?’ or ‘Was it something I did?’ Well, let me assure you that it’s not and never was your fault. There were reasons behind me doing what I did to ensure certain things, things that you didn’t need to know about. But don’t worry, I’m fine.

God it feels so odd writing instead of talking to you. It’s just that I want to share things with you. I want to share in the joy and happiness that walks into my life and, if I you were around, I would love to experience yours too. I can envision how happy you are even now. I bet you’ve made a wonderful father. You always seemed to have that underlying sense of parenting skills with Shippo. No doubt Kikyo has been an awesome mother as well. She was always so good with kids.”

Pausing, he sniffed the aged paper, detecting the scent of tears.

“Please remember that my decision had, in no way, been your fault. It was my choice alone and no one else’s. All I ever wanted was for you to be happy in life, so that is what I made happen.

You’ll always be in my heart Inuyasha. I pray for your and the other’s health and life every day.

My love to you forever -
~Kagome H.”

It was her choice? What did she mean by that? Could she have done something irreversible just for the group? What was it that she had obviously done?

Again he sniffed when another scent lifted off the pages. Why was this scent laced with… pain? Scrutinizing the page even closer Inuyasha spotted something else. Now to a normal person they would just think “oh someone just got a paper cut” but to the trained eye a person could spot the purplish tinged red that laced the dried blood on the page.

What did it all mean?

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words - 587
Concerns by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 8 – “Concerns”


They were starting to worry about him. For almost the past week the patriarch of the family had stowed away in his study, pouring over the first of many journals from Kagome. Most of the time it seemed like he hadn’t even read a lot of the book at all, more like he would read a couple entries then skim through them again and again. Besides that, Inuyasha had barely eaten or spoken since the day the news came of Kagome’s death. The other members of the household were truly afraid for his health.

“Don’t you think this is going a bit to the extreme momma?” A seemingly teenage boy asked.

She didn’t answer for a few moments while she chopped the rest of the vegetables.

“I understand how you feel darling but you must realize how your father feels as well. You’ve heard all the stories of his shard hunting days and of Kagome, so you must see how much of a shock this is to him. You know as well as I do how badly he wished to see her again.”

“We all desired to see her, or in Tadao and the rest of the children’s case, meet her.” Kaede spoke from her place at the stove.

Tadao retreated into his own thoughts while he helped to finish dinner. Thinking of his father, Tadao noticed how not once, at least in his lifetime, had he ever acted like this before. Of course he’d heard the stories of his father’s antics from his mother, aunt, and older siblings but there were never any stories passed on regarding anything like this, and that concerned him. Was he liked this when Sango and Miroku died? Who would know such a fact though?

An image of a red haired uncle flashed through his mind.

~~~~

The matriarch of the house balanced a tray of food in one hand and knocked on the large oak door of the study with the other. Not hearing a reply, Kikyo went ahead and entered the quiet room and set the tray on her husband’s desk before turning to address him.

“I brought you some food dear. We made stew for dinner and I thought maybe you might like some.”

Again no reply was received. Her brow furrowed together while she made her way over to the hanyou that was sitting in his favorite chair close to the fire, seemingly reading over more of the first journal. Kikyo placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Inuyasha, I understand how much of a shock this was to you, but you’ve got to return to your normal routine. Your actions are starting to scare the children and worry the adults, including me.”

She paused to gather her thoughts.

“I’m not saying that you need to stop reading her journals completely, but, just leave your study every once in a while, get some sleep, eat a little something, and spend some time with the children. If you don’t begin to turn around soon I fear for what will happen to you, health wise I mean.”

Slender arms somehow maneuvered between the chair and the man occupying it to wrap themselves around the hanyou’s shoulders, tightly squeezing them in silent support. A kiss was placed upon his crown.

“Remember Inuyasha, we’re here for you. You don’t have to suffer alone. Throughout all of our years together you’ve been our pillar of strength and now it’s time for us to return the favor. I know how deeply she meant to you darling and you know she wouldn’t want you to hold all of your emotions in like this.”

Another tight squeeze and Kikyo removed herself to move towards the door, planning to return to the rest of the family and put the children to bed, but a soft voice stopped her in her tracks.

“They’re not normal journal entries.”

Her full attention was back on him and she followed her instincts to go stand back by his side, waiting for him to continue.

“Each one is a letter. She wrote to me of her life. She wants to share everything with me.”

For the first time Kikyo stared at the yellowed pages of the book laying in her husband’s lap; curiously taking in the smooth markings of Kagome’s handwriting. She didn’t even get to finish half of the page before Inuyasha turned to next one and ran a clawed digit against the edge of a faded picture.

“Through everything she’d been through.” His voice was laced with so much emotion. “Missing all those days of school and barely passing her tests, she still managed to succeed.”

His finger moved to lightly outline the robe and hat that the young girl, no, woman, was wearing in the photo.

“Kagome graduated.”

It was those few sentences that truly brought it home for Kikyo. It was then that she realized just how hard it was for him to deal with this.

For not only has he lost his one time traveling companion, but his best friend as well.
End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words - 845
What To Do by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 9 – “What To Do”

“Inuyasha,

It’s been a week since I graduated and I just don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t decide whether to jump for joy because, by some miracle, I passed or to weep because you aren’t here to share it with me. I know you never did like me leaving so often for school, but, deep down, I know you did embrace it.

You’ve no idea how many times I’ve walked in on you where right at the last second you would throw one of my textbooks right back where I left it. Or even wake up in the middle of the night to see you sitting by my bedroom window or in the boughs of a tree reading by moonlight. You were particularly taken by the works of Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe. It amazed me that you would be interested in them and not an author from Japan. I guess, perhaps some of the tales you could relate with. I remember how you would get when you couldn’t find them in my bag when you were seemingly searching for ramen. That’s why I left my copies with you, so that you would never be without them again.

I wonder what you’re doing now. Knowing you, most likely getting into another fight with Sesshomaru or saving the village from an attack. All the while complaining about how your brother was a cold heartless bastard and how us humans were to weak to defend ourselves. You were always a good man Inuyasha. Remember that, no matter what anyone says, it’s how you see yourself that counts.

You know, maybe I shouldn’t be thinking of what your doing in the past. What if you’re in this era? What would you be doing? Hmmm, well the first thing would be eating a bowl of ramen. I can’t imagine what you’d be doing other than that. Guess I’m not to open minded huh?

I do know one thing though. By the time you read this I’ll most likely be dead and I know how you get when someone close to you dies. Please remember Inuyasha, I didn’t make any of my choices based on something you did. Nothing you could ever do would upset me to the point of abandoning you. I’ve got my own reasons behind my decisions.

But you mustn’t just sit around and mope! I know Kikyo is worried about you and your children (if you have any, though I’m sure you do) are too. The Inuyaha I know wouldn’t just do nothing, he would continue on. So please, continue on for me. With any luck I’m in a better place now.

Sorry for all the rambling and getting off the beaten path, but, you know how us girls are.

Remember what I said, er, wrote.

~Kagome H.”

~~~

Inuyasha read over those last few passages again. Would Kagome ever cease to amaze him? It was like she had been watching and answered all of his unspoken questions, and for that he was greatful.

Thinking about what his wife had said earlier when she was in and part of what Kagome wrote, the hanyou marked his place in the book and headed over to the shelf behind his desk. Deftly he moved away a stack of books, seemingly real, but not. Opening the false book, Inuyasha proceded to pull out an old book, clearly worn out from how many times it had been read. The binding protested just a bit to being opened before revealing to its owner the inside cover where a special message was written.

“To my most favorite hanyou,

I used to love these poems when I was little. Lewis Carrol took me to places I could never imagine until I met you. I related to the tale of Alice in Wonderland so much if you think about it. Perhaps one day, you could read them to your children or even grandchildren as they go to sleep.

Give your pups and grandpups my love.

~Auntie Kagome”

And that’s just what he did.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 685

Just wanted to note that I have two jobs now (three if you count babysitting dad) so I am going to try to update as much as possible. Might be a bit slow starting in mid May through mid July because that’s when 4-H goes full tilt.


PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
Proud by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 10 – “Proud”


Almost the entire Fujioka family was seated in the audience, watching as the third youngest child of their family, Tadao, waited to go up on stage to receive his high school diploma. All had dressed in their best attire for the exciting event, just like they had with all the other children. Not one of them was going to be treated any differently than the other. Though some would say that they seemed a bit extravagant for doing so, the Fujioka’s didn’t see it that way. They saw it as a family tradition, to show each child that passing through school was a momentous event to be celebrated, not just any other day.

Funny, he remembered how much he had been fascinated with Kagome’s books; how many doors it had opened up for him into new worlds, yet, he never once went to school to get any kind of diploma. The way he figured it, what use was it to go someplace and study for Lord knows how many years for just a stupid piece of paper. Inuyasha always told people that he had his street smarts and he didn’t need some document to tell him what he knew the most about. Even though those were his beliefs, that didn’t mean that he didn’t want his children to have an education of their own.

From an early age, Inuyasha began teaching each of his children everything he could remember from Kagome’s textbooks. At times the hanyou did seem to even amaze his wife at the facts he knew of from the future. It was thanks to his readings that he was able to save his family from illness outbreaks and even the upcoming wars. His knowledge even went as far as to know where to direct the boats full of demons that had fled the country during the rebellion of the 1700’s. If it hadn’t of been for him and his curiosity of the future born miko’s books the entire population of demons would have been decimated.

Who would’ve thought that the once despised hanyou would save the entire demon race?

~~~~

All rose to clap when Tadao crossed the stage and shook each of the teacher’s hands, but one family member watched with his eyes while his mind was in a completely different place.

Inuyasha’s mind wasn’t paying attention to his son, he was thinking of the two newest photos that now held a place in the wallet resting against his breastbone. After reading through the first of Kagome’s journal’s and then through another he had discovered a photo pasted to one of the pages from Souta’s graduation. Turns out the kid was some sort of super wiz and had graduated three years early. The kid had no idea how proud his “Inu-nii-chan” was of him, and neither did Kagome. He wished they did though. Could Souta still possibly be alive? Was he running the shrine as generations did before him? Some research would need to be done.

Many asked him, mostly his children, why he had copies of the two photos made and why he placed them in his wallet. They couldn’t seem to understand the meaning behind his thoughts though. The new generation of the House of the West knew that the Higurashi family meant a lot to him, but, none of them exactly understood how much. Thanks to Kagome, Inuyasha had gained something he hadn’t had (at the time) in over two hundred years; a family. He got a grandfather who bugged him, a little brother who idolized him, and a mother to dote on him. It hurt him to know that he missed out on so much of their lives all because he didn’t know the date of the miko’s return. The hanyou felt that thanks to the photos in his pocket that somewhere, somehow, Kagome knew that he still thought of her often and that he was proud that she had succeeded in something that she had once feared that she would fail.

For a moment, just one mind you, Inuyasha’s eyes glazed over and the next graduate on stage suddenly became Kagome. Wearing her green and white outfit, the mirage turned, looked directly at him, and sent a smile his way filled with so much happiness that he couldn’t help but grin a bit himself. Sure, his wife was staring at him oddly but that didn’t matter to him, it was the happiness from the vision that he was feeling now.

Slowly he raised his hand to rest upon the concealed inner pocket of his suit, silently sending a prayer to the heavens to a certain girl, saying sorry for missing such an important day in her life.

But now isn’t the time to be down in the dumps. It is a time to celebrate the sacred passage into adulthood.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 807

SOOOOOOO wasn’t happy with this chapter. Don’t think I got the point across that I wanted. Honestly, I forgot what my point was halfway through anyway. So this is I guess what you could call filler. I’m babysitting my niece and I can’t seem to concentrate.

Just so ya’ll know, this story isn’t going to be day-by-day journal entries. For instance, in this chapter I have Inuyasha read the rest of the first book and then to the second where we discover Sota graduated early. I don’t know where I’ll be heading in the next chapter but I do know that when we get towards the end there will be the ending plus an alternate. Have the tissues ready folks.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
The Loss by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 11 – “The Loss”

“Dearest Inuyasha,

It is a sad day in the Higurashi household. Gramps has finally gone home to be with Grammy in that beautiful place in the sky. I know that now he is at peace and he is with the woman he has missed so dearly for the past twenty years, but, that doesn’t mean that those of us left are having the time of our live either.

I’ve watched Souta over the past few days, trying so hard to hold his emotions together just like you always did. I believe he feels that he must be strong for Mama and me since he is now the man of the house. Numerous times I have tried to talk to him, get him to let it all out, but all he does is frown and turn away; making up some excuse about something needing to be done around the shrine. It’s tearing Mama up inside even more.

Mama, I think I feel even worse for her. Gramps was all she had left of her family before she married Daddy and now that he’s gone she’s so broken. Right now she’s just sitting on his bed staring at his various artifacts around the room with tears running down her cheeks. I’m beginning to fear for her health. She won’t talk to either of us because she doesn’t want to be a burden and I can already see everything taking its toll on her. Already I can see hollows in her cheeks and her eyes becoming sunken in. It’s truly beginning to scare me.”


Inuyasha took a moment to stare at the watermarks and the barely running ink on the yellowed page, silently taking in the old scent of salt, wishing he could have been there to support her in her time of need.

“I just don’t know what to do Inuyasha. I’m trying so hard to keep my family from drifting apart but I just keep losing ground. No matter what I try I can’t get Mama to talk or Souta to let his tears flow freely. This is one of those moments that I wish you were here. Maybe you would have a way to get through and help us get through this grieving process as a family instead of individuals.

I’m sorry. I feel like I’m laying all my problems on your shoulders, but, I just don’t have anyone to cry out to. You’ve no idea how alone I feel right now. Well, I guess you do. Gah! My hand is writing before my brain even has a chance to process my thoughts.

Forgive me if it feels like I’m dumping everything on you. This is one of those times when a girl just needs to let it out. I guess I’ll go give it another round with Souta and Mama.

~Kagome H.”

~~~~


“So much sadness permeates her writing. I feel like she too was trying to hold it together for the sake of her mother.”

Lately, he’d been sharing some of the entries with Kikyo. The reading of an entry becoming a late night routine before going to bed, unless they were doing other “strenuous” activities of course. Sometimes Kikyo helped him see certain things from Kagome’s perspective since she herself was a woman as well.

There were certain things though that Kikyo noticed in Kagome’s journals that she found odd, but she kept those thoughts to herself of course. Perhaps, throughout the next few entries, some of her questions would be answered.

“Ya know,” Inuyasha broke the silence. After setting the book on the nightstand and shutting off the light, he turned to gather Kikyo in his arms. “I knew that by the time we came back into her life the old man might be gone, but I was kinda hoping he wouldn’t be. Gramps always seemed to wryly to let death take him.”

A palm was brought to cradle his cheek. “True. Though you have to remember, we all must face death sometime.”

“Yeah, but Kagome sounded so alone…”

Fingers to his lips stopped him cold. “She did. Though now, although it’s hard to think about, Kagome isn’t alone now wherever she may be.”

Silence overcame the room once again after that. Inuyasha snuggled into Kikyo’s neck, taking in deep gulps of her scent, knowing that it was one of the only things that would keep his emotions in check. The hanyou tried valiantly to not cry out at the loss of another member of his family.

And Kikyo did the only thing she could do; be his pillar of strength as he had been for her and so many others a million times before.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 785

WOW – I got SEVENTEEN emails within four hours about people faving, alerting, and reviewing this story. I’ve never had that happen before! Thank you SO much for the kind reviews! And sorry to those of you I made cry.

While you guys are waiting for the next chapter, how about reading “If Only In Reality” – my other fanfic. Once you’ve read it, you won’t get enough.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
Anniversary by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 12 – “Anniversary”

“Inuyasha,

I cannot seem to fathom that it has been a year since I last saw you. To me the time has passed by so fast that I feel like it was just yesterday that I watched you bound yourself to Kikyo in holy matrimony. I can still remember clearly how you both looked that day. I don’t think I’d ever seen you in something other than your fire rat before that day. You looked so handsome all cleaned up and…

Oh boy, I’m rambling again. Sorry!

I bet you’re wondering what I’m up to. Well, as a, I guess you could call it ‘hobby’; I’ve begun writing down every tale of our quest. Everything from our smallest of fights to all of the blood thirsty battles are being jotted down into my little green book. Nobody knew I was even writing it until Souta somehow got ahold of it and then decided to show it to Mama. At first they were shocked; I’d never exactly told them everything that we’d done, but then they were amazed. They’d had no idea that we’d faced such dark creatures. Before long both came up with an idea that I’m frankly not too happy about.

Mama and Souta want me to publish our adventures, telling me I need to call it the ‘Feudal Fairytales’. It’s not that we need money or that it’s a bad idea, but I just don’t feel right about doing something like that. The way I see it, if I publish any of it then it would basically be invasion of privacy because I’d be exploiting your lives. That just doesn’t seem right to me, but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to stop writing either, although their suggestion did give me an idea though.

I’ve started taking up drawing. Dear Lord I’m bad at it, but I figure that I’ll get better with time. I know that most people will most likely think that our tales are just made up fantasies, but, for those few that truly believe; I want to give faces to the names. Do you know how much I wish Shippo was with me right now?

I’ve gotta go. I can hear Mama calling me for dinner.

Before I go though, I want to wish you and Kikyo a happy anniversary. Wish I could be there to celebrate with you. I can’t help but wonder; do you have any children yet? Are you happy? Did you have your first spat yet? Did she have to ‘sit’ you? Did you,

Oops, rambling again.

 I did get you something though. Look in the trunk for the gold wrapped package.

Love,
~Kagome H.”


End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words - 450
Moving by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 13 – “Moving”
 

She was still in the family room, exactly in the same spot she had been since her husband had presented to her the newest occupant of the mantelpiece. Even though it was far past the hour of bedtime, Kikyo just couldn’t tear her eyes away from Kagome’s gift. In all her years with Inuyasha, never had they received such a thoughtful and heartfelt gift.

“Ye are still here I see.”

Light from the hallway revealed the form of Kaede. Something about seeing her sister right at that moment set something off inside of her which caused another round of tears to fall free from her eyes. The comforting arm of her sister was felt being wrapped around her shoulder; tightening ever more as the silent sobs rocked her frame.

“What has got you so emotional sister?”

Kikyo sniffled and wiped her eyes before answering Kaede, still staring at the gift.

“I had always wondered what those little gadgets were that Kagome had at our wedding. I remember secretly memorizing what every one of them looked like and what they did; determined to find out at a later time how they worked. Over time though, I’d forgotten what they’d looked like, therefore the connection wasn’t made when we finally lived until this century. That is, until tonight.”

She paused for a moment to take in Kaede’s form. Never had she thought that her only blood kin would live for so long. Her presence reminded her of something Kagome had once said long ago.

"You never know Kaede; your soul mate could appear and sweep you off your feet at any given moment."

“Why do you cry Kikyo?”

“It isn’t fair.” She wiped her eyes. “I’ve got this beautiful piece from one of the most important days in my life and you don’t.”

A knurled hand was felt rubbing soothing circles on her back. Calmness overtook Kikyo, the same one that soothed her when she was small and her mother was comforting her. Dear Lord it was annoying to have to keep reminding herself that Kaede wasn’t her mother; although, in a way, she could be considered as such. Besides, of course, being older than them all (except Inuyasha), her elderly sister had stepped in and became the matriarch to all of the family; becoming the mother to so many that had lost their own. Even when Cornelius came along he had, naturally, become her counterpart and took on the role as everyone’s father without even a second thought.

“It matters not Kikyo what I do or do not have. What matters is that we have our memories,”

“And that we have each other.”

Both looked over to the hall to find Cornelius leaning against the doorframe, smiling lovingly at them. Casually, he walked towards them and gathered Kaede into his arms, kissing her chastely on the cheek before turning back to Kikyo.

“I understand that I never met Kagome, but, I believe that I’ve heard enough of her tales to guess that she wouldn’t have wanted you to fret over frivolous things. She seemed like a woman who only wanted to make others happy and I am certain that is what she was trying to do for you and Inuyasha. From the events that have taken place and the clues given within her journals so far, that has been her only goal from the beginning.”

“Such an insightful man you are my love.” Kaede smiled up at him.

“And that is one of the many reasons why you married me.” He gave her a kiss before gathering her up into his arms and headed out the door.

“I hear the bed calling our names so we bid you goodnight dear Kikyo.”

Silently, Kikyo watched as Cornelius carried Kaede back their room. It still amazed her how a demon of his immense age still possessed the strength to do such a thing. That though was something to ponder on later, for her bed too was calling out to her.

Rising from her seat and stretching her muscles, the hanyou’s wife made her way across the room to the hall. She prepared to shut off the light, but, not before taking one last gaze at the glittering gold frame that encased one of the most memorable moments in her and Inuyasha’s life;

Their first kiss as husband and wife.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 731

Side note – those last two lines were intended to rhyme, total coincidence.

Also, Cornelius is the name of Kaede's husband. Yes he is a demon, a very old demon and he is from a different continent. (Hence his odd name)


PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
Watching by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 14 – “Watching”


She sat by herself in this place; still feeling the aches and pains as she had in life. Was it not written somewhere that when you die you are to be “normal” as you once were in your youth? The lone person guessed that luxury was only meant for those who left their earthly home with a clear conscience and she most certainly, against everyone’s thoughts, had died with a heavy heart; hence her suffering.

It was lonely in this place. Sure, it was a calm and beautiful place, but, she was the only one inhabiting it. No one to talk to, no way to pass the time. All she could do was sit and reflect back on her life, going over again and again on the things she did wrong.

Thankfully though, she had these moments with her little “looking glass”. The scene she was seeing play out in the lake’s clear water brought a smile to her face.

The scene consisted of Inuyasha and a large group of children; whom she was his grandpups or nieces and nephews. It certainly was a lovely sight; the hanyou who once thought he was worthless, surrounded by people who loved and respected him. What brought even more warmth to her heart was the story he was telling them; their story.

He was so animated while he weaved the stories of their youth, thrilling the children of their fight against Kaguya and her dream castle. She thought it funny how he was making her out to be much more of a hero than she ever was, in a way glorifying the story for the mere sake of the children.

Happiness soon left her though when the image in the water slowed before coming to an end completely. Now a whole year will have to pass before she will get to see his smiling face again. But that wasn’t what bothered her the most, it was the heartache she knew he was about to endure because of her choices in life.

Sure, the journals Inuyasha already read gave him a sense of what had truly, well, partially gone on in her life, but, the woman knew that when the truth of her life was finally revealed the, as the old saying goes, shit would hit the fan.

And there was nothing Kagome wanted more than to be by his side when he found out so that she could take the pain away.

End Notes:
A/N – total words – 414

As you can guess, Kagome has got a huge secret she’s hiding. The question is, what?

REMINDER – This story is told mostly in drabbles/journal entries. The entries are not a day to day thing. You may be hearing about a fifteen year old one day and a twenty year old the next. I am only posting important events in the journals plus feelings and such regarding what is happening and how Inuyasha and the people feel around him.

I am working with the 4-H office this year so I will be VERY buy throughout the months of May, June, & part of July. I will post as often as possible but most likely I will be too tired to even think straight.

Oh, and sorry for making anyone cry.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!
Incidents by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 15 – “Incidents”


“Dear Inuyasha,

Things have slowly gotten better since the latest incident. Did I even tell you about that? Guess not, see, since Gramps died almost five years ago Mama turned to sake for comfort involving anything. Even the littlest thing would set her into a drinking spree. From the way I saw it, she felt like since Gramps she was all alone in the world even though Souta and I were with her almost twenty-four seven. Mind you Mama did, and still does, have her good moments; unfortunately she is mostly in a drunken state now. She is a mere shadow of the woman that we used to know.

Back to the incident though; Souta and I have gotten to the point where we’ve had to keep her under lock and key, especially at night. Sometimes there was no way of knowing where we would end up finding her come morning. Well, this morning we woke up to the most horrifying discovery either one of us would make in our entire lives.

Mama had always told us about the voices that talked to her and tried to convince her to do things. Well, it looks like one of them finally got through to her.

I found her in the bath tub when we woke up with her wrists slit. We both rushed her to the hospital and the doctors got her taken care of, but we discovered why she was acting so differently.

Apparently, Gramps death sent her into a huge bout of depression. The doctors say that it is a most severe case because she never exactly got over Papa’s death so when Gramps died it made those feeling reemerge and take hold.

The worst part of the entire day was being told that she would have to be put into psychiatric care so that she could possibly be cured. I’ve got the feeling though that she will never be the same again.

It really hurts though; knowing that someone so close has been hiding behind a fake mask all of these years. I’m starting to wonder what else she kept hidden from us. Will I possibly turn out the same way when I am older? Will Souta? Guess we’ll find out as life goes on.

On a lighter note, Souta and Hitomi have still been together for all these years and I believe that I hear silver wedding bells starting to ring. Do you remember helping him gain the confidence to ask her to go out with him when he was little? I guess you could consider yourself the ringmaster of their little tryst.

Something else I must tell you. (That you might not like) I met a wonderful man a few weeks ago and he is to kind to me. I don’t want to reveal too much yet because I don’t know how everything is going to work out. I can’t help but thinking, with the way my stomach flutters, is he the one?


~Kagome”

~~~~

End Notes:

A/N ~ Total words – 504

Want to say sorry for the extremely late update. As you know I had 4-H fair going on – where I actually got a couple chapters written – but I stupid laptop decided to die on me. Now I’m waiting for the warranty company to send the box so I can ship it back to get it fixed. Don’t you just love it when hard drives quit working???

PLEASE REMEMBER – this story/diary IS NOT filled with day to day entries. You could have a couple days worth of entries then skip to a couple years down the line.

I do have another chapter ready (as soon as I get the time to type it) and I’ve got a partial chapter of “If Only In Reality” ready. This would be so much easier if I could just speak it instead of type.

Would you guys like that? If I just spoke/read a chapter and posted it on Youtube for you to listen to? Sometimes it’s easier for me to just spout things out than to just type them.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED

Ponderings by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 16 – "Ponderings"

~~~~

He was spending another late night in his study, pouring over many old books filled newspaper clippings of articles and the like. Not once did he ever look up from his work as he heard the door to his room open and shut; nor did the shuffling of feet making their way closer disturb him either.

"So they were telling the truth. You are keeping yourself holed up in here."

Finally the hanyou realized someone else was in the room. Looking up, he came to see the adult that a certain kitsune kit had become.

"What do you want runt?" Inuyasha asked gazing back down at his books.

Shippo didn't answer for a few moments, simply observing what his friend was reading over, catching a few words here and there of an article but never fully understanding what was happening. Of course he had some idea of what was going on in the home due to the grilling he'd gotten from Tadao regarding Kagome and the relationship shared between her and his father. The kitsune figured the teenager had been exaggerating from the way he'd been talking but seeing Inuyasha like this, barely even aware of the world around him; he knew that something was wrong.

It was awkward, trying to start a conversation about someone so attached to the both of them. It had to be done though, it just had too.

"I, I heard about Kagome. I'm so sorry."

How were two men supposed to talk about something like this?

"You don't need to go through all that bullshit. Did you not think I wouldn't hear that conversation you had with my son?"

Inuyasha turned his gaze to the red headed man before him, a wry grin crossing his face.

"I know what the family been thinking concerning all of this, well, mystery surrounding Kagome and my studying of it. It's just that I can't seem to stop reading her journals she left behind for any amount of time. I have to know what happened to her, to Souta, and everything in her life that mattered until the end."

"You think that since you missed out on so much that you need to discover all that was missed. Figure out what made her tick for all these years." Shippo finished for him.

A resounding hum was his only answer as he went right back to his clippings. It began to get uncomfortable just standing there so Shippo pulled up a chair and scooted up as close as he could so that he too could read the articles, whatever they were.

"I realized from the last entry from something that Kagome mentioned that I knew nothing about her father." Inuyasha answered the unspoken question.

"Figured it would be interesting to find out what her old man was like and who he was. Turns out he was quite popular around here at one time. Used to be an Olympic swimmer before quitting and settling down and building a family. Guess we now know the answer to where Kagome's love of water came from huh?"

Both men continued to read for hours after that; firstly going through the articles about "Heroic Higurashi" (as Kagome's father was once called) and then turning once again to the wooden trunk full of journals. There was one thing that the kit did notice throughout the entire time though and that was the sadness in the hanyou's eyes. Was his assumption right about Inuyasha blaming himself over… well, whatever it was he was blaming himself for? Did he not understand that it wasn't his fault that the year of Kagome's return through the well had been mistaken?

Did he blame himself for an innocent death that had happened almost thirty years ago?

Shippo had gotten his answer when the hanyou lovingly grazed his hand over a photo of their lost miko and witnessed a teardrop leave a trail down his cheek.

End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words - 660
Around The Corner by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 17 – "Around The Corner"

"Dearest Inuyasha,

I've got wonderful news! After only a few months the doctors say that there is a major improvement in Mama. They're even letting her come home for short visits every few days, which is wonderful since it's so quiet here. As you know though, every upside has its down and poor Mama has one that will be following her the rest of her life.

It turns out that part of the problem was the fact that an early onset of Alzheimer's decided to rear its ugly head. In her mind, from what I've been told, Mama believed that she'd lost both Papa and Gramps within days of each other and she just couldn't handle the loss. This of course caused her depression and the drinking, which in the end only made things worse. They've got her on medication now though and she seems to be under control but I still have that fear that one day, the side of Mama that we'd been witnessing will be returning to visit us again.

I feel especially bad for her though when she is here. In her mind I'm still fifteen and Souta is ten years old, despite his obvious height difference. The saddest part of all this is when she asks for you and when you'll be coming to visit. I hate having to constantly lie to her about it but I honestly can't break her heart by telling her the well closed up years ago. I feel that if I do she'd relapse and that is something both of us don't want to see happen.

There are sometimes though when she talks to nothing but thin air while sipping her tea in the kitchen. I've watched her a few times and I'm beginning to think that she is talking to you, and it is that little fantasy that brings a shimmer of light back to her eyes. It brings a semblance of peace to the house when she is like this, and for that, I am grateful.

Your presence alone brought some sort of happiness into her life that will never leave her. You should be very proud to have made such an impact.

~Kagome

End Notes:
A/N - Total words - 373
Bothersome by Daphneshaggydoo
Her Life – Chapter 18 – "Bothersome"

He believed a pattern was beginning to form within the miko's writings. At first it wasn't bothering him, but as he read more and more of the same thing again and again a red light began to flash in his mind. This wasn't just the usual rambling anymore, no; it all appeared to be something far, far worse.

She'd talked, well, wrote, quite highly of a particular man whom he supposed she was seeing. Without ever mentioning his name, Kagome was suddenly moving on to another man. The next fee journals were full of the same happenings. Talk about her love interest, drop him, and move on to another. It was a seemingly endless cycle. Was her love life truly so bad?

Another thing that struck him odd was the numerous pictures she stored within her chest. Granted, they weren't disgusting or anything, but, it was the lack of her within them that annoyed him so. There were photos of Souta, his marriage to Hitomi, Mama, things she found beautiful, and millions of other things.

Yet, not one of them contained even a glimpse of her.

Wouldn't Kagome have wanted him to see how much she'd matured throughout the years? Give him a picture to go along with an event in her journal? Possibly to see her happy with one of the men in her life? Why did all this seem so suspicious?

Of course Kaede told him he was thinking into everything to much; that just maybe she forgot to put any into the trunk, but he knew better than that. The wench was obsessed with taking photos when they meant so what would have made her change so drastically? After all, she'd included images of everything else so why not of herself?

The rest of the family had their opinions as well, yet Kikyo stayed silent the entire time, simply lending him silent support throughout his troubled time. Yet, there was something striking him wrong about her too. Nothing big mind you, just a little something he couldn't figure out.

Closing the journal in his hands, Inuyasha made his way over to the trunk and opened it wide. Bending down, he took in the sight of all the little trinkets she'd left him. Easily, he grazed the edge of an arrowhead with his hands, caressed the faded red fabric that was once worn about her neck, teased the decaying cord that was strung through an old cork stuffed into a small glass jar, and gently palmed a tarnished locket, lost in the wonders of yesteryear. Shaking his head to clear out past memories, Inuyasha set the newly finished journal down and turned to take the newest one from the pile only to discover that he'd finally come to the final book.

Grasping it and hauling it up, he noticed something odd about this particular book. It reeked of grief and sorrow; the scent of both pouring off in such huge waves that he practically choked on nothing but air. What event could be confined in such a small object to cause such a mishmash of emotions?

The hanyou would soon wish he'd never opened that book.

End Notes:
A/N – total words - 533
Unthinkable by Daphneshaggydoo

Her Life – Chapter 19 – "Unthinkable"


They all feared for him now. Not a single soul within the Fujioka household knew what either themselves or another had done to put him into such a state. They'd tried everything to get him to open the door, even if it was only the tiniest crack. Shippo, Kouga, and even Sesshomaru made an appearance to try to coax him out, or to just talk to them, but none prevailed.

If his own wife couldn't get him to open the door, then who could?

There was only one last option. Kikyo was sure they would be mad though since this was their yearly vacation in Spain, but desperate times call for desperate measures.


She'd arrived at the house two days later and, by their standards, not a bit too soon. The strong smell of sake was starting to waft out of the room. Only problem was it wasn't regular sake they smelled; it was demon sake.

Without even greeting her nieces and nephews, Kaede dashed to the room that held her brother-in-law. Noticing that others were following her, she quickly shoed them away before lightly rapping the door with her knuckles and waiting fretfully for an answer. The elderly woman had already decided that if no reply came that she would have Sesshomaru break the door down. Waiting a few moments more, Kaede was about to tap again when a barely whispered voice was heard.

"Come in ya old hag."

Knowing now that this was serious (since he hadn't called her that in centuries) Kaede twist the doorknob that was now unlocked and let herself into the ill smelling room.


Within seconds of being with him she had already heard the door lock, not allowing another living soul in with them both. Only, it wasn't the fact that her only way out was secured or that the mild scent of the demonic sake was making her sick that bothered her; the clearly slumped over man sitting by the fire was what disturbed her more.

Never once in her extended human life had he ever acted like this. In all his years Inuyasha had never been much of a drinker, but, something had clearly sent him into a drinking frenzy from the amount of bottles sitting by his side. Silently, she went over and sat in the chair opposite him, truly getting a good look at her brother-in-law for the first time.

Seeing his face for the first time made her heart drop. His face was a complete blank, showing the complete signs of heartache yet not. He appeared to be a man with too much on his shoulders; so much so that he couldn't feel anything. Those amber eyes though revealed pure sadness. And every time he took a drink of sake they just seemed to become even worse. Anyone could clearly tell he was holding everything in, but for what purpose?

Seeing as he wasn't going to acknowledge her presence, Kaede decided to look around for any sign of what could have sent him on this downward spiral. The first thing she laid eyes on, of course, was one of the journals. Figuring that a book couldn't have done this she went on to look for something else but a gruff voice stopped her.

"Go ahead," He threw the book roughly in her lap. "Read it."

Taking this turn of events by the reigns (so to speak) Kaede did begin to read Kagome's entry silently when she was stopped again.

"Out loud!" He growled menacingly.

Something dropped in the pit of her stomach when she heard him demand such a thing. Quickly mentally preparing herself for what might be ahead, Kaede took a deep breath before she began.

"My dearest Inuyasha…."


He stared at his sister-in-law, silently watching her sip her drink and nibble on a few crackers. Clearly both were waiting for the other to bring up the elephant in the room. Knowing that she most likely wouldn't, he decided to do it for her.

"Have you told him yet?"

A small meaningful smile crossed her face while she gently pat her slim stomach, knowing what was taking place inside her body.

"No," She answered. "And I won't until after this blows over. He needs to grieve for her, not push everything down because of such a wonderful miracle."

End Notes:

A/N ~ total words - 729

Prolonging The Truth by Daphneshaggydoo

Her Life – Chapter 20 – "Prolonging the Truth"


"My dearest Inuyasha,

Regret runs through my veins now; much more now than it ever has. Over the years there have been so many things that I've wanted to tell you; wished to tell you in person even and I've just been too cowardly to do it. Now the guilt is eating at me more than ever before. I believe it is time to let my secrets be known.

I do hope that when you read this you won't hate me to your very core. You see, I haven't exactly been honest with you in these journals and I feel that you at least deserve to know the whole truth.

I am on my deathbed after all, so if I don't tell you now, then no one will ever know the real truth.

The life I wrote for you within these pages isn't real; it's merely a world I conjured up for you since I didn't want you to know the truth. I really hope that you'll find it in your heart to forgive me after you've read through my little story. I just don't know where to start though…

I guess the beginning would be best.

The thing is I just don't know how to put into words what I want to get across to you, so I suppose I'll tell you like I do my nieces and nephews."

Kaede paused there for only a moment when she felt Inuyasha's emotions rise; fearing that he didn't wish to hear any more of what was to come. She gazed at him quietly above the brim of her glasses while watching him take a swig of sake and then pouring himself another cup.

"Well what are ya gaping at? Continue on old hag."

And so she did…

End Notes:

A/N – Total words – 304

Would really love some feedback on this. What do you think? I would love your reactions!

We're also winding down to the end. I am guessing another 10 or 15 chapters before this story will be ending. There will be an ending and an alternate ending. (Which will both be VERY different.)

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS – FLAMES WELCOMED!

In A Land Far, Far Away by Daphneshaggydoo

Her Life – Chapter 21 – "In A Land Far, Far, Away"


"Once upon a time there was a young girl who discovered she could travel to a magical world far in the past. On her very first day in this land she was met with terrible, life-threatening danger. Only with the help of an elderly miko and a young half-demon that had been released from his enchanted sleep did the young girl survive that night. The three of them combined was what it took to destroy the evil Mistress Centipede and retrieve the enchanted Shikon Jewel that was forcibly taken from where it had laid dormant for fifteen years within the young girl's body.

Not after that fateful day did an important journey began. You see, the girl, being the klutz that she was, accidently broke the Shikon into hundreds upon thousands of shards while trying to recover the stolen jewel. Hence the beginning of a wondrous journey…

The young woman from another world and the half demon set off to not only find the jewel shards, but to stop a menacing evil man who was plaguing the lands by trying to increase his own powers using the cursed jewel.

Along the way the duo met others whose goal either was or quickly became the need to destroy such a monstrous person from the lands. A fox kit, lecherous monk, demon slayer, and a neko made up a ragtag group of hunters defending the side made up of good. The most amazing part of the entire situation was how five people from entirely different ends of the spectrum somehow became a family.

Yet another soul was brought into the situation, literally. The half-demon's first and only love was brought back to his world by what could only be described as a wicked witch. At first the old pain from their betrayal fifty years prier was heavily present, but over time the pain passed and they began to trust each other again…

To fall in love…

Over the coming months the group would face dozens of ups and downs yet they always stuck together. Even when the evil hanyou attempted to pit them against one another, each of them toughed it out and that simple trust is what lead them to defeat the evil, bring peace back to the lands, and restore the Shikon Jewel to its entirety.

Although, it almost cost them their most precious member.

The days following the battle weren't met with happiness, only worries. The half demon had been so badly injured while saving the young girl and his love that he himself almost perished. It was only thanks to the future knowledge of the girl that he survived the next few nights.

Once all in the group were injury free a joyous event was planned. When all were planning for the upcoming double wedding, the young girl was preparing to give the man she loved the most meaningful gift in the world.


During the night before the wedding, the young girl snuck out into the woods with the entire Shikon Jewel resting in her palm; giving no mind what so ever to the possible danger she could be bringing herself. Once she was confident that the half demon wouldn't sense what she was about to do, she braced her back against a thick tree trunk, rolled the troublesome bauble in her hand a few times, took a deep breath, and began to pray.

The jewel shone brighter and brighter the more she prayed, clearly stating that it was hearing what she was silently saying. Silently, a barrier was set in place around the woman to protect her physical body while her soul was taken to another realm; a realm so breathtaking that no words could describe its beauty. When the young girl broke herself away from the scenery her gaze moved to set itself upon an armor-clad priestess staring at her from the crest of a hill.

"We have heard your request." The miko began, "Yet there will be consequences with such a feat."

A long pause arose between the two before the miko continued on.

"If we were to grant what you request then your wish will have been worthless. With the poison writhing in the pot the wish will only last a couple months, perhaps a year at most. Are you willing to accept that?"

The girl thought it over, realizing quickly that it wouldn't be enough, but, what could she do to make it last? The invisible light bulb went off above her head.

"Could such a thing be transferred?" She questioned, "To another being perhaps?" The more she thought about it, the more hopeful it sounded. A hand lightly brushed her cheek; finding the miko in front of her suddenly sent the wind out of her.

"You would truly give up so much just to make him happy?"

"Yes."

"Then you must realize that by doing this the well will be sealed off. Never again will you travel back to the village of Edo; see the woman you think of as a grandmother, the slayer a sister, the monk a brother, the kit your child, and the man you love…"

"It will all be worth it, so long as he is happy. All I request is that I be allowed to remain until the night of the ceremony. I wish to see them off to their new lives."

The miko could see the determination in her eyes along with the fear of the unknown. Had the god's known they'd created a soul so selfless.

"It will be painful."

"I am prepared. Whatever it takes for him…

She never got to finish her sentence after calloused fingertips touched her forehead and pain engulfed her.


When she'd dressed for the ceremony the next day the young girl could see the telltale purple hue coming to her skin right above her heart and she'd known that the poison had taken. Though it was true that throughout most of the day she was immersed in pain the feeling left her for several minutes when she'd watched him take hold of his love's hands; her warm hands. It felt like everything was right with the world in those few measly moments.

For it was true that for the rest of her life she would suffer with Naraku's miasma eating away at her, it didn't matter though. The genuine smile lighting up Inuyasha's face before he kissed the warm flesh of Kikyo's cheek made it all worth it.

After all, if you had the chance, wouldn't you let the one you truly love go so that they could be happy?

The young girl, Kagome, had such strength and knew that she would never regret her decision because the one she loved was finally truly happy.

End Notes:

A/N – total words – 1,106

NOTE – To clear up confusion, Kagome wished for Kikyo to be human again and while it was true that the jewel could grant that wish, it would all be fruitless since the miasma in the clay body would eat away at her new human flesh until she died. (As it did sorta in one of the Inuyasha episodes) Kagome decided then and there that she would have the miasma transferred to herself so that Kikyo and Inuyasha would have many years of marital bliss together.

Essentially, Kagome is now filled with Naraku's miasma and it is slowly killing her. (You'll find out more about this in upcoming chapters.)

Thanks for the reviews I received and the WONDERFUL NOTE! (Boy will you guys be surprised at what's in store!)

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS!

Letting Go by Daphneshaggydoo

Her Life – Chapter 22 – "Letting Go"


Never in a million years did Kaede think that this was what she was going to be reading. This… tale wasn't what she was expecting when the truth about Kagome's disappearance was finally revealed. It was no wonder her brother-in-law was so upset.

"Do ya get why I'm a wee bit upset now?"

Kaede turned and simply gazed at him; not knowing what words to form to express what she was feeling at the moment.

Not being able to stand the silence, Inuyasha got up from his place, drink still in hand, and began to pace the room. Milliseconds didn't even pass before the drunken ranting began.

"What in the hell possessed the wench to do that? Did she not think that we couldn't find another way to save Kikyo if what Midoriko told her came true? Did she have so little faith?"

"Inuyasha I don't believe that was her reasoning behind…"

"No Kaede!" He was becoming louder by the second. "Look, no, THINK about what all she gave up for us! For that stupid quest! Back then we had no concept of what she was giving up because in no way did we know what the hell she was talking about half of the time, but now… now that we lived to this era we know Kaede; WE KNOW!" He bellowed before throwing his almost full glass of sake into the fireplace; making the flames climb higher for a few mere seconds.

Anyone could tell that he was still trying to hold it all in; desperately trying to keep some sort of control over the emotions raging within him. True, the alcohol did loosen him up a bit, but not enough for him to fully let go. How long would he allow this to go on? The former priestess knew he needed to get it out of his system, but this certainly wasn't what she expected.

"Don't you realize what all she did for us old woman?! All that food and medical supplies she brought back; how much yen do you think she and her family had to spend on all of it? And not once did she say a word about it."

He was starting to destroy random items about the room now. Kaede knew he would never hurt her, yet the ruckus he was causing was drawing their family towards the room. Even she could hear the frantic footsteps making their way down the hallway. How long would it be before they attempted to break down the door?

"What of the numerous times she had to leave her schoolbooks behind because there wasn't enough room in her pack? How far could she have fallen behind? What punishment did she face in school for failure to complete her work? The missed days of classes with Gramps using so many outlandish and bogus excuses must have raised some eye brows.

"What of her family's honor?! In this day and age that is what schooling is to the population! Sure she graduated but at what cost?!"

He stopped to think for a moment.

What if the photo from her graduation wasn't real either; and what about everything else written in those yellowed pages? Were all the emotional ups and downs all a fake? Now that he thought about it, there were an awful lot of entries that looked like they were written with the same ink and they smelled approximately like they were the same age. Was the entire thing a lie?

"Inuyasha are ye…?" Kaede never got to finish for his current thoughts began voicing themselves.

To say she was shocked by his current logic would be an understatement. She knew Kagome would never go so far as to write to him of a fake life; or so she thought. Before she could even get to contemplating though Inuyasha was visibly beginning to hyperventilate and rambling things that didn't make sense, half of which she couldn't understand. Not once did Kaede interrupt him though because she knew he needed to let it out but what he was spouting did worry her some. He just kept on telling her things she supposed no one ever knew about their young miko; going from one end of the spectrum to another in a matter of seconds. It was when he talked himself into a corner, literally, that she stood up from her chair and made her way towards him.

"I didn't even have a second thought about it,"

"About what Inuyasha?"

"I could smell it," He picked up one of the journals lying about the room. "I could smell and feel the slight aura of Naraku's miasma in those slight drops of blood and I never even thought…" He was getting so choked up that anyone could see he was becoming blue in the face.

Kaede tried to speak but was cut off again.

"It wasn't supposed to be this way." The hanyou trembled. "The wench was should have found herself a human husband and settled down. She would have had a lot of brats because she loved them so much. Her grandkids would be playing at her feet now while she would be rocking in her chair; maybe even cuddling her newest grandchild."

It was beginning to sound like he'd imagined quite the life for her but this train of thought was starting to scare her. Kaede moved to where she was now directly before him.

"All I ever wanted was for her to succeed and be happy. I just…"

The dam broke then; the tears were leaking down his face freely and in no way did either stop them, knowing that this was needed.

Quite a few seconds passed before either gathered their thoughts.

"Inuyasha…"

"I… I didn't get… get to say good…bye."

Instantly Kaede wrapped her arms around him, and he her, and under Inuyasha's weight they both collapsed to the ground in a heap. Both sets of arms were tightly enveloping the other while Inuyasha hid his face in Kaede's shoulder and cried while she comforted him as best she could.

"I… I… I loved her so… so much… and I didn't… didn't get to… to tell her…"

"Shhh… she knows Inuyasha. Wherever Kagome is, she knows. Just let it out child, let it out."

A long, grief-stricken howl entered the air of the Fujioka household as the initiation of many mournful hours of grieving began.

End Notes:

A/N – total words – 1,074

Wasn't entirely happy with the ending, but, ya know, I'll take it.

In case you all were wondering where I've been. My dad had to have another surgery – some of you may remember the aneurism emergency surgery from last year, so, make a long story short, my parents truck got rear-ended and the jerk of the impact gave my dad a big hernia and many small ones around the incision scar from last year's surgery. Therefore he had to have another operation to take care of that and he ended up spending a week in the hospital.

PLUS the damn extended warranty company Wal-Mart uses keeps sending my laptop back to me broken. I've got to send it in for a THIRD time. Damn I hate that f****** company.

PLEASE LEAVE REVIEWS/COMMENTS! PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES FUEL MY BRAIN POWER!

PLEASE SAY HI TO SKRUPHIE WHEN YOU REVIEW! IF YOU DO I JUST MIGHT UPDATE FASTER!

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2099