When All Else Fails, Just Stare ‘em Down by doggieearlover
Summary: InuYasha gets more than he bargained for from a ride on the subway
Categories: General, Angst/ Drama, Romance > InuYasha/ Kagome Characters: Inu Yasha, Kagome Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: Confessions of Two Hearts
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1157 Read: 2240 Published: 22 Aug 2008 Updated: 22 Aug 2008
Story Notes:
This was written for the FirstTweak community at LiveJournal. The minimum word count was 30` and the prompt was Race Relations.

1. When All Else Fails, Just Stare 'em Down by doggieearlover

When All Else Fails, Just Stare 'em Down by doggieearlover
Author's Notes:
Warnings: Spoiler Manga chapter 520

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. 



When All Else Fails, Just Stare `em Down

InuYasha was trying to figure out how in the hell he had gotten himself into this position. No - he wasn't battling Naraku or trading insults with his brother. He wasn't even watching Miroku get slapped by Sango for the tenth time in a day or listening to the non-stop chatter of Shippou. No - somehow, he'd let himself be dragged onto a subway car with Kagome.

They were back in Kagome's era. After the crazy incident with the train and her book bag, back when she was going to take her high school entrance exam, she'd convinced him that he needed to ride in the subway car instead of on top of it so that he could see why he couldn't just attack it and slice the car open with Tessaiga. She'd even made him leave his sword at home so he wouldn't be tempted.

It was a good thing that she had.

The hanyou couldn't decide what was more annoying - the other riders on the car who stared at him blatantly or the same ones who looked up at the ceiling and pretended to be innocent of any such thing when he glared back at them. When they thought he wasn't paying attention, they just sat and looked at him, like he was on exhibit or something.

He wondered if anyone had ever done that to him when he was pinned to the tree.

InuYasha looked down at himself and was thinking that he'd be staring, too. He felt so out of place in the loose-fitting jeans, Rugby shirt, and sandals that Kagome had produced from somewhere for him to wear. While he did understand why he had the bandana tied over his ears, he didn't understand why he wasn't allowed to wear his firerat and hakama. It was bad enough that she made him leave Tessaiga back at the shrine. He couldn't help but to growl softly under his breath.

Kagome squeezed his hand. "We can get off at the next stop, all right?" she said softly. She didn't say his name since she didn't want to attract even more attention than he was already getting.

InuYasha nodded and closed his eyes. He regretted that he couldn't shut off his nose as well to all of the smells trapped in the car with them. He wished he did have Tessaiga so he could open the roof and let some fresh air in. He couldn't wait to get off of the train.

The car slowed down, and they swayed as it came to a stop. InuYasha automatically reached forward to steady Kagome who was standing in front of him. They both had given up their seats when an elderly couple came on board. InuYasha was wondering why they had done them the favor since they had then proceeded to drill a hole in his backside the entire ride. The only reprieve had been when a tall foreigner with flaming red hair and bright blue eyes got on at the last stop. At least then many of the eyes had something new to focus on.

He was grateful when the doors opened, and Kagome took his hand to lead him off. She kept a good grip on him until they were clear of the station and the hordes of people it contained, all hurrying to go to one destination or another.

They slowed their pace as they approached a park, and InuYasha finally couldn't keep his questions contained any longer. "What the fuck was wrong with them? What's wrong with me? Why were they all staring like that?"

Kagome sighed as she turned to face him. "I'm sorry, InuYasha. The Japanese people aren't very good at race relations. You see, everyone here is so much alike that anyone who isn't attracts attention. They stare because you're different. You have long white hair and gold eyes; the gentleman who got on at the last stop, who was probably either American or from the UK, got the same treatment. They stare, and then they pretend they weren't if you catch them. I'm sorry, InuYasha, I should have warned you."

InuYasha had closed his eyes again, though this time to breathe in the cleaner scents of the park around him and the soothing scent of the girl in front of him. When he opened them, he realized that she was now staring at him.

"What?" he asked roughly.

"I'm sorry, InuYasha, I couldn't help it. You're just so beautiful..." Kagome's voice trailed away as she blushed and looked away. "I stare at you a lot, you know. I'm just as bad as they are."

"Keh?"

Kagome turned away from him, embarrassed at her confession.

Softening at her reaction, InuYasha reached out and gently caught her arm. "You're not the only one," he whispered. "I watch you, too."

She still couldn't face him. "I know - you have to. I'm always getting into trouble."

This time he stepped in front of her, now holding her by both arms, though she was still looking down. "No, that's not why."

She slowly raised her head until she met his eyes. They were becoming dilated, and she could tell he was starting to pant a little though he had done nothing to become winded.

They stared at each other, gazing into one another's eyes. Finally, InuYasha could resist no more, and he slowly lowered his mouth to hers.

Her eyes widened as his lips met hers, and then she closed them and melted into him. He folded her into his arms, and her body melded against his as she wrapped her arms around him. It seemed as though time had stopped until the undeniable demand for oxygen forced them to pull apart.

They were both panting and flushed when they separated. Kagome looked up at the flustered hanyou and giggled.

"What?"

"If I'd known that would happen, I would've done this a lot sooner," she said with a chuckle.

"Keh." InuYasha now matched the color of his firerat, or he would have had he been wearing it. However, it didn't stop him from kissing her again.

When he let her come up for air, Kagome said, "It's getting late, and Mama will be worried. Are you ready to go home?"

"Can't I just carry you? We don't have to get on there again, do we?"

Kagome shook her head. "I don't think I want anyone staring at you other than me. I wouldn't want any of those other girls getting any ideas. I think we'll work on our own race relations - just between us."

"I can live with that," the hanyou muttered before he captured her lips one more time.

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=670