- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I do not own Inuyasha or anything else created by the great Rumiko Takahashi.
Inuyasha was fuming with rage as he walked up the familiar path home. The cicadas were loud and the summer night was peaceful, but he was to upset to enjoy it. He was just returning from a simple slaying out east near the coast. The villagers were cruel, even after he killed the youkai that was plaguing them. They refused to pay him the usual fee. They said if the rice was going to feed him and his whore, they would have no part. So Inuyasha left the village with nothing in hand.

He turned off the path; he was still to upset to go home. Running to a place he knew all to well, he jumped into Goshinboku’s branches. Sitting on his favorite branch with Tesusaiga nestled in his arms, Inuyasha looked through the leaves at the stars above.

'Why? Why did she have to come back?` He asked himself as he raked a clawed hand through his bangs. 'I never wanted her to go through this, what my mother went through...`
`It seems to be getting worse as time goes by… Once rumor spreads about our pup, who knows what will happen. What if some one attacks them while I’m gone… Who will protect them?'

'Was it a mistake to ask for her hand? Why can’t people just leave us alone?!'

'No, Kagome came back to be with me. I don’t give a shit what those bastards say, she’s staying!'

He sat there for awhile thinking about all that has happened this passed year. Ever sense Kagome came back, he has never been so happy. Sure, things have been hard with people’s prejudice towards their union, but as long as he had Kagome at his side, he was okay.

He sighed loudly. 'Man it’s late. She’s probably asleep already.' And with that final thought, he lept out of the tree and ran straight towards home.

Their hut sat on top of a hill over looking the village, it wasn’t that big, but it was larger then the usual one-roomed huts. It had a vegetable and herb garden and a chicken coop in the back. It wasn’t much, but Inuyasha was proud of it. He landed right in front of the house. Opening the shoji door quietly, he snuck in and walked down the hallway to their sleeping room. He noticed a dim light through the rice paper. Opening the door, he saw Kagome sitting up from their bed, nursing their baby girl, Akina. “Welcome back.” She said quietly as she looked up at him with tired eyes.

“Hey, you’re up late.” He said as he walked over and knelt beside her, giving her a chaste kiss. Turning his head he looked down at the nursing baby. Her golden eyes were filled with concentration as her claws gripped her mother. Inuyasha reached out and patted her silver hair down, and gave her little dog ears a rub. He heard her growl in contentment. “Was she good?” He asked.

“She was good, cried a lot. But that’s what babies do.” She said happily. Their baby finished, so Kagome placed her on her shoulder and began to pat her back till she heard the burp. “Sango and I did laundry today, so your sleeping yukata should be in one of the baskets.” She told him. Inuyasha just stared at her and smiled. “I love you so much, koibito.”

“I love you too, Inuyasha.” She said as she handed Akina to her husband. He took her cradled her in his arms. He began to growl softly to lull her to sleep. He looked up to see Kagome staring at him. “What?”

“You two are so cute.” She replied with a loving laugh.
“I am not cute.” He retorted back quietly.

Turning away from the sight of her family, Kagome went to the corner of their room to retrieve his sleeping attire. Inuyasha watched her from the corner of his eye, smirking as he watched her hips sway as she walked. Placing the sleeping baby down on her futon to sleep, Inuyasha walked up behind his wife and embraced her. Kagome leaned back into him.

They stood there for awhile until Inuyasha released her to dress for bed. “How was the trip?” She asked as she watched him undress. He threw his clothes in the hamper to be washed. “Inuyasha, didn’t you here me?”

“It was fine!” He snapped. He really didn’t want to talk about it.

“What happed?” She asked, her eyes filled with concern. She walked up in front of him to look him in the eyes, but he turned away. “I’m afraid, Kagome” He whispered. Tying the obi, he went to their futon and lied down on his back, covering his eyes with his arm.
“What are you afraid of?” She asked as she knelt down to blow out the candle.

“People can be cruel sometimes.” Was all she got for an answer.

She slipped into the covers and snuggled into him. “Do you want to talk about it?” She was worried. What could have happened to make him so upset?

“Are you happy Kagome? I mean, you don’t regret marrying me do you?” He asked as he raised his are from his eyes to look at her. They were filled with sadness. “Kagome… I’m afraid that people will come after you and Akina.” He finally admitted.

“Inuyasha… I know that.” She said in surprise. Wrapping her arms around him, she continued. “Their will always people, ningen and youkai that will not like us being together. But remember Inuyasha, the villagers here are nice and seem to like us enough, we have friends here. Sure, some of the villagers don’t like us being together, but they still appreciate us. Who cares what others say.”

He sighed smiling, returning the embrace. “You can be so stubborn sometimes wench.”

“And yes Inuyasha, I am happy. Life without you was miserable during the three years. Now I have you and Akina, I have never been happier. As long as I’m with you, Inuyasha, everything will be okay.” Kagome said. Letting out a tong-curling yawn, she snuggled into her husband.
“Keh.” He was all he as sleep took him.
Chapter End Notes:
RATE AND REVIEW!!!