- Text Size +

Title: Tempting Fate
Word Count: 479
Prompt: sibling rivalry
Genre: drama, romance
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: mild language
Summary: Inuyasha knows more about pack than Sesshoumaru gave him credit for.

 

In a flash, Inuyasha had yanked Kagome away from his brother, pacing his body between them. "What's going on here?" he growled angrily.

 

"Oh, nothing much," Kagome said with a grin while absently rubbing her arm where the hanyou had grabbed her rather roughly. "Just, your brother's in love with me."

 

"Half-brother," Sesshoumaru corrected reflexively.

 

Inuyasha's eyes widened for a moment. "That's what you correct her on? That's what you have a problem with? What's the matter with you, eh? She's human, and not even a great looking one. Why the hell would you want anything to do with her?"

 

Kagome huffed in offense. "At least he's not chasing after an empty shell fueled by young women's souls. Do you know how that makes me feel, Inuyasha? To know that those women's souls will never cross over or be reincarnated because Kikyo is too selfish to care? All because she wants to be alive again? If it weren't a piece of my soul in her, she wouldn't be here at all!"

 

Sesshoumaru growled softly, angered by seeing his desired mate so upset. "That can be easily rectified," he said darkly.

 

Inuyasha whipped his head to the side, once more focusing on his only living family/second-worst enemy. "The hell it is!"

 

"Oh? I do not imagine killing that which is already dead would be much of a challenge for this Sesshoumaru."

 

"It don't matter," Inuyasha snarled. "You're gonna stay the hell away from Kikyo."

 

"Who are you to give me orders, whelp?"

 

An evil smirk spread across the hanyou's face. "I am. Kagome's a part of my pack and I am alpha. You can't mate her, can't even court her, without my approval, so I'd suggest you start treating me with a little respect!"

 

Sesshoumaru's left eye twitched minutely. He'd had no idea that Inuyasha knew pack law, being a half-breed with no pack elder to give him guidance. This was not good. So long as Inuyasha was Kagome's alpha, he could keep them apart and there was nothing he could do about it. His lips twitched up at the corners and behind Inuyasha, Kagome saw it and smiled. The hanyou may be alpha now, but it didn't have to stay that way. Siblings often battled for pack placement.

 

"Do you truly desire to tempt fate, little brother? Standing in my way would be unwise."

 

"Like hell. There's nothing you can do about it. You need my permission to court the wench, so I think maybe you should get on your knees and beg."

 

"Inuyasha, perhaps you should take a moment to think this through," Miroku called out.

 

"I know what I'm doin'!"

 

"As you wish," Sesshoumaru said, his tone giving away his pleasure at the situation, which made Inuyasha pause for a moment in confusion. "Then you have left me no choice. This Sesshoumaru challenges you for your pack."