- Text Size +

Chapter 22 - Concerns

 

This was written for Iy-Fanfiction on Livejournal's Prompt: Hostage

 

"I can't believe you guys let her go off with him!" Inuyasha practically howled after Kagome had been gone for little more than ten minutes, the pressure building inside him until he could hold it back no longer.

 

"Us?" Sango asked. "You were there too. You didn't even try to stop her. You're the one who agreed they should date."

 

"It was you're damned idea!" the hanyou shot back. "How do we even know that he'll bring her back? He might decide it's easier just to keep her! She could be a hostage right now and we'd have no idea. She didn't even say when she'd be back!"

 

"Calm down, Inuyasha," Miroku said, patting his anxious friend on the shoulder in what he hoped was soothing. "Of course she'll return. Sesshoumaru would not hold her hostage. He is trying to impress her, get to know her. Holding her against her will would be completely counter-productive."

 

"Yeah, well, I'll believe she'll be back when I see it. Until then, remember, this is all your fault, Sango."

 

"It's not Sango's fault!" Shippo exclaimed. "It's no one's fault. Mama deserves to be happy!"

 

"No one said she can't be happy," Inuyasha growled.

 

"Just not with him, right?" the kitsune clarified.

 

"You're damn right, not with him! You've seen what he's like!"

 

"It is not up to you who Kagome decides to spend her life with," Miroku said. "And if the palm reader is correct and Sesshoumaru is her true love, then you'll simply have to get over it. She told you she would choose love over friendship if you pressed the issue. Do not test her, Inuyasha."

 

"I can't believe she'd leave me for that ass," he muttered in frustration, her words from two days ago still stinging. His heart ached at the thought that she might leave him for his brother. She'd promised she would always be by his side. How could she break that promise, even for love? And how could she think she could love Sesshoumaru anyway?

 

"She would and she will if you force her to do so," the monk spoke calmly, knowing that Inuyasha was on edge as it was. "I suggest you adjust your attitude so that she can remain your friend and be with her true love."

 

"Me? He's the one that shows up just to attack me! What the hell have I ever done to him?"

 

"Besides taking his arm and hitting him with the wind scar?"

 

"He asked for that, both times. He started it. I just finished it."

 

Sango couldn't help but laugh. "Yes, but now the two of you will need to get along. I am certain Sesshoumaru realizes that. If he wants Kagome to be happy, he will have to adjust the way he treats you. I say you wait and see. I'll bet he's a heck of a lot nicer to you when they come back than he's ever been before, and more and more so the more time they spend together."

 

"And we're supposed to just sit around and wait while she 'dates' him? What about the quest, the jewel, and Naraku? We've got more important things to do than sit on our asses while she's out playing with that jerk."

 

"I think a break is just what we needed," the slayer said with a smile, stretching out her muscles where she sat leaned against a tree trunk. "And I know Kagome will enjoy herself. She works so hard to keep up with her schooling while being here hunting down shards. She deserves a break as well."

 

Suddenly something dawned on Inuyasha and a huge grin spread across his face.

 

"I don't like that look," Miroku murmured to the woman by his side. Sango nodded her agreement and they both watched, just waiting for the big reveal. Finally it came as Inuyasha opened his mouth.

 

"If he's her true love, then that means she stays here when the quest is over. That means she's wasting her time with all that school crap! She won't have to do it anymore. We won't have to go back to Kaede's so she can take exams! We'll be able to really travel and hunt that bastard down!"

 

"I don't think Kagome is going to stop doing her schoolwork just because she may end up staying in our time," Miroku said with a frown.

 

"Why the hell not? She'll be free! If I were her, I'd be thrilled."

 

"Her education means a lot to her, Inuyasha," Sango said, shaking her head. "She will not simply give it up."

 

"We'll see. If she falls for him and realizes she's not going back home for good, we're all set. No more school!"

 

"Oh, so now you want them to be together?" Shippo asked with a smirk.

 

"Awww, hell," the hanyou muttered, torn between wanting Kagome free from school and the desire to keep her away from his brother. "I can't win."