- Text Size +

Chapter 26 - Finally, Conversation

 

Ventus - wind, rumor, favor (Stella's Latin Challenge)

 

The group was traveling again and Kagome was only half-surprised when Sesshoumaru appeared on the road ahead of them. She had a feeling he wouldn't be able to wait to see her again. Without a word, the miko brushed past a cursing Inuyasha to approach the taiyoukai.

 

"Hi again," she said with a small smile.

 

"I was wondering if, perhaps, I could talk to you," Sesshoumaru said in an almost pleading tone. "I know that I did a terrible job dating you," he continued, unsure if he was even using the word correctly. He needed to explain himself and beg for another chance. Perhaps if she knew why he had done the things he had, she would take pity on him and his foolishness. Whatever he had to do, he needed to gain favor with the miko.

 

The miko's smile widened and his shoulders relaxed somewhat. "Sure. Do you want to take a walk?" Sesshoumaru gave a single nod and Kagome waved at her companions as she led the taiyoukai into the forest.

 

"Oh, come the fuck on," Inuyasha hollered after her. "We're never going to get anywhere like this!"

 

"Calm yourself," Miroku advised. "She will be back soon enough. We could use a rest anyway. It is nearing time for lunch."

 

Thrilled that she seemed willing to give him another chance, Sesshoumaru slowed to a stop and turned to the miko with a smirk. "If you desired to touch me, all you needed to do was say so," he said, his smirk widening at her blush.

 

Kagome reached out almost hesitantly, disappointed that he was wearing his armor. She ran her palm over the bone armor before toying with his sash. "Well, how was I supposed to know that?" she asked with a smirk of her own. "Explain it to me, Sesshoumaru, because I really don't get it."

 

"I was attempting to court you. There are things a male must prove before the female will accept him."

 

"Like? Why didn't you eat with me?"

 

"It is customary not to. The meal, the tour, and the shopping trip; they were all an attempt to prove that I can adequately provide for you."

 

"And the fighting?" she asked.

 

"To prove that I would be able to protect you and whatever pups we may have."

 

"You... you want children? With me?" she asked in shock. After everything he'd said in the past about hanyou, she couldn't believe that he would desire to have hanyou of his own.

 

"Our pups would be beautiful and powerful with you as their mother. Their being hanyou means nothing."

 

"Sesshoumaru, why would you try to court me like a demoness?" She had to know. Was he really that inept? Did he know nothing about human women?

 

"Because I had no idea how to date, let alone how to court a human."

 

"You might not know how to court a human woman, but you should still know enough about me to know that wasn't the way. I don't care about money, Sesshoumaru, or things. Hell, I used to think I was in love with Inuyasha and he has nothing but a sword and the clothes on his back to his name. It never mattered to me. And I know you can protect me. I've seen you fight enough times. I didn't need you to prove anything to me. All I wanted was to talk to you, to get to know you."

 

Genitaliter - in a fruitful manner (Stella's Latin Challenge)

 

"Ask me anything," he said, more than willing to give her what she wanted. He'd had no idea it would be something as simple as talking.

 

"What's it like to be Lord of the West?" she asked curiously as they walked side by side, the miko still holding on to the end of his sash, her fingers sliding over the fine silk.

 

"It is mostly tedious paperwork and politics," he explained. "I receive dozens of scrolls per day and most of them are unnecessary updates on village food stores or other day to day drivel. The rest are invitations to pointless events. The Lord of the North is not happy unless he is entertaining."

 

"Oh? What are the other Lords like?"

 

"The Southern Lord is an ancient fool with too many wives," he told her.

 

"I thought demons mated."

 

"They do and he has. He has also decided, however, to take on numerous young wives. His mate is rather displeased with him for doing so."

 

"I would imagine so," Kagome said with a smile. "And the Eastern Lord?"

 

"The wolf is young and impetuous, though I imagine he will calm once he mates his intended. A good woman can do wonders for a male," he said with a smirk.

 

"Wolf?" Kagome repeated nervously.

 

"Lord Kouga. I believe you know him."

 

"I do," the miko said slowly. "Do you know who his intended is?"

 

"No, though I have heard she is a human as well."

 

Kagome laughed dryly. "Yeah, she's human all right. She's... me."

 

"You?" Sesshoumaru repeated, wide-eyed.

 

"He's been claiming me as his intended since he first met me, no matter how many times I tell him no. I would have thought you'd know that, creepy stalker that you are."

 

"I have never stayed when Kouga approached your pack. I did not wish for him to sense my presence. So you have rejected his claims?"

 

"Every single time. He doesn't listen."

 

Sesshoumaru let out a sigh of relief. So long as Kagome rejected Kouga's claims, he would not have to challenge the wolf for the right to mate her. Kouga might not be pleased when he found out that they both desired the same woman, but he was not true competition for the miko.

 

"I... I don't want to cause political problems for you," she said hesitantly. She knew how strongly Kouga felt and she was worried it would turn into a huge issue for Sesshoumaru.

 

"The East and the West have been allies for centuries. The wolf would not be so foolish as to go to war over a woman that does not want him."

 

"Except he thinks that I do. He doesn't hear me."

 

"Do not worry yourself unnecessarily," he set out to reassure her. She had no need to worry over his problems. If it came to it, he would confront the wolf and settle things once and for all. Of course, to do so, he would need to know if the miko was interested in being his mate, something he wasn't sure of yet. "So, now that you understand what I was attempting to do, do you think you could find it in your heart to give this Sesshoumaru another chance?"

 

When Kagome smiled brilliantly at him, Sesshoumaru sighed with relief.

 

"I already have," she said happily. "This is all I wanted, to be able to talk to you, get to know you, and I think we've made good progress. But from now on, I decide what we're doing. Deal?"

 

Sesshoumaru nodded. "Agreed."