- Text Size +

Chapter 32 - A Plan Foiled

 

*A loveless life is a living death.* (Stella's Proverbial Challenge) Words: 958

 

Sesshoumaru had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach that something bad was going to happen. Inuyasha had been leading them consistently east, almost directly towards Lord Kouga's den, and the taiyoukai was wary of the inevitable confrontation that would occur when the two of them came together. He wondered if, perhaps, that was Inuyasha's plan.

 

Things were going so well for him and in his life that almost never lasted long. Ever since their nighttime visit to the youkai fish spring, Kagome had been going out of her way to touch him. She held his hand as they walked. She leaned against him as they rested or ate, and she would even put her head on his shoulder when she was tired. It was wonderful, unlike anything he'd ever experienced before, to have physical contact with another being. He'd always denied himself the pleasure, thinking he was above such things, but now he knew he was not. Being able to touch her was like a gift directly from the gods and he knew it couldn't last.

 

He had no idea how Kouga would react when he discovered his interest in Kagome. Yes, the East and the West had an alliance that had stood for centuries, but love was strong enough to break even the longest and most powerful bonds. Would the wolf fight for her even though she had denied his claim time and time again? Would he challenge him for courting rights? It was definitely possible.

 

Sesshoumaru had heard Kouga speak of his intended, not knowing who she was, of how much he loved her. His devotion was unparalleled, except by his own. The taiyoukai loved Kagome so strongly he would do anything for her. He would abandon his lands, forget his responsibilities, and surrender his wealth, anything if it meant that they could be together. He doubted Kouga would do the same, not for a female that didn't even want him. Kouga was a proud demon, more so even than he, and he had a pack to protect and care for. Would he risk his life, his lands, and his people all for Kagome?

 

Sesshoumaru knew he couldn't live without her, which meant if Kouga challenged him, he would have to fight. He also knew Kagome would not approve of such a battle. She was friendly with the wolf and would not want to see him injured. Would she understand that a battle was the only way? He had assured her that Kouga would not be a problem, since she had denied his claims, but it really was up to the wolf if there would be a fight or not. Sesshoumaru would do anything to have her, and that included slaughtering the Eastern Lord if necessary.

 

Sesshoumaru slowed his pace, which caused Kagome to slow as well, as their hands were once more clasped together. "We are approaching Kouga's den," he told her softly. "You must know, if he challenges me for courting rights, I will have to fight him," the taiyoukai explained.

 

"But I thought you said it would be fine because I've denied him."

 

"It should be, but the wolf is stubborn. He may still choose to battle. He may wish to do so simply to maintain his honor and pride. I know you will not approve, but I will not refuse to fight. Doing so would be surrendering any claim to you that I may have."

 

Kagome's lips quirked up in a small smile and Inuyasha silently cursed. "You'd fight for me?"

 

"Of course I would," Sesshoumaru replied. "I would fight every other male on the planet for you."

 

Her smiled widened. "That's... kind of sweet. But you don't need to fight. I'll just tell him no again."

 

"No may not be enough." He didn't expect Kouga to accept no as an answer now any more than he had the other times the miko had denied his claims. "Will you be able to forgive me for fighting him? I know you consider him a friend."

 

Kagome sighed and for a moment Inuyasha had hope once more that his plan would work, that Kouga's appearance would put an end to the growing relationship between his miko and his brother. The hanyou was genuinely surprised that Kouga hadn't shown up already. They were quite close to his den. Now, Sesshoumaru was trying to minimize the damages that would occur if they did fight, as if he'd realized his plan. He couldn't allow this to continue. He couldn't let Kagome decide that it was all right for the two males that desired her to fight, even if it was completely normal and acceptable in demon society. She was human and despised unnecessary bloodshed.

 

"Come on already, wench! We've got ground to cover," the hanyou said gruffly. "You can gab all you want when we stop for lunch."

 

"Inuyasha," Kagome replied in a warning tone. She was busy trying to sort through her feelings so that she could best answer Sesshoumaru's question and the hanyou was not going to interrupt.

 

"Sesshoumaru, I don't want to be with Kouga. I don't know for sure if I want to be with you or not yet, but I am certain I don't want him. If he comes, I will tell him that. Maybe he'll finally hear me this time, knowing that I might just be falling for someone else. I hope that he would respect my decision and your alliance, but if he doesn't, if he chooses to fight, then you should do what you need to. I'd only ask that you not kill him."

 

Inuyasha mentally cursed. In just a few sentences, Kagome had completely ruined his plan, and the wolf hadn't even turned up yet.