- Text Size +

Chapter 34 - Depth of Emotions

 

This was written for Iy-fanfiction at Livejournal's prompt: Irk

 

"Kouga?" Kagome exclaimed. "How did you do that? I didn't even sense the jewel shards!"

 

"Barrier," he replied.

 

"Were you hiding in the bushes stalking us?" she asked with a grin. So the wolf was more similar to the inu taiyoukai than she'd thought.

 

"No," he responded too quickly.

 

"Sure ya weren't," Inuyasha said with a smirk. "Wondering what's going on here?" he asked, gesturing towards Kagome and Sesshoumaru's interlocked hands.

 

"I heard what's going on," Kouga replied. "Kagome, do you really want him instead of me?" he asked, gently grasping her free hand in his.

 

The miko's heart ached at the look in the wolf's eyes. "Oh, Kouga," she said, pulling her hand free of Sesshoumaru's. She stepped closer to the wolf and cupped his cheek gently. "I tried explaining this to you a long time ago."

 

The taiyoukai was incredibly nervous. She just let go of him to touch his competition for courting rights and she was doing so quite affectionately. She'd just said she didn't want him. Did seeing Kouga really change that so quickly? He prayed that she was just being nice, trying to let the wolf down easy. She was soft-hearted, he knew that much, and so he hoped that was what was happening before him and not something else.

 

Inuyasha was watching with bated breath. He had no idea what Kagome was doing. She'd just made it clear that she preferred his brother to the stupid wolf, but what in the world was she doing then? Why was she touching Kouga? Why was she speaking in such soft, caring tones?

 

The rest of the group of travelers was watching with just as much interest. They knew how stubborn Kouga was, had seen the enthusiasm and devotion with which he pursued the miko. Surely he wouldn't give up so easily! They were ready to see an epic battle between two powerful demons, two Lords of Japan, all for the hand of a dainty human female.

 

"Kouga, I've never told you yes. I've never accepted your claims. I've always told you that I'm not yours, that I don't want to be your mate. That doesn't mean that I want to be with Sesshoumaru rather than you. He's certainly trying to convince me of that, but I haven't decided yet. I'm not choosing him over you. I'm just saying no to you."

 

"But I love you!" Kouga exclaimed.

 

Kagome sighed. "So does he," she replied.

 

"The Aristocratic Assassin loves a human female? Ha! I doubt it. He doesn't have a clue what love even means."

 

Sesshoumaru snarled viciously. How dare the wolf question his feelings for Kagome? He had no idea what was in his heart!

 

Kagome waved her hand at the taiyoukai, gesturing for him to calm down, all without ever taking her eyes off of Kouga, which irked Sesshoumaru even more.

 

"Sesshoumaru has been watching me for a long time, getting to know me from afar, and he claims to be in love with me. From what I've seen, he's telling the truth. That doesn't mean he's won me over yet, but I believe him." Kagome turned and glanced at Sesshoumaru, her cheeks flushed a pretty pink.

 

"Yet?" Kouga asked. "So you really are falling for him?"

 

Kagome sighed. "Yes, I think so. He's not how I imagined. On the inside, he's not like what most people see. He's not cruel and vicious. He's sweet and affectionate. I'm not stupid, though. I know he can be cold and violent when it's called for, but I know he'd never mistreat me."

 

"Neither would I," Kouga exclaimed. "I'd treat you like a queen, like the goddess you are."

 

"I know you would," the miko said softly. "I've always known that. It's not you that's keeping us apart, Kouga. It's me. I simply don't see you that way. You're a friend, a good one, one that I can always count on, but nothing more than that."

 

Kouga nodded and turned his focus to the taiyoukai. "You'd better treat her right. If you don't, alliance or not, I'll tear you apart. If you make her shed even one tear, you'll pay for it."

 

The corner of Sesshoumaru's lips turned up in a half-smirk. Though he didn't appreciate being threatened, he was pleased to learn that Kouga cared enough to do so. Kagome had amazing friends who would give their very lives for her, and apparently the wolf was one of them. "Understood."