- Text Size +
Kagome couldn't recall ever having a time where she sat, and listened to Sesshomaru tell a story, much less one without the immediate threat of death hanging in the air. He still looked exactly the same to her, down to his long silver hair. He wore a kimono over what looked like flannel pants and a simple white t-shirt, which seemed almost comical to her. She was almost used to the look, until she saw the fuzzy bunny slippers…

He seemed older, not physically, but in the way he spoke. Words were accompanied by expressions now, where an icy expressionless face once stood like a steel mask. His eyes seemed to sparkle as he spoke, recalling all sorts of memories, none of which sounded familiar to her.

She began to tell him about meeting Shoji, and him ending up walking her home, and coming across the necklace of subjugation. When she said the necklace came to life of its own will, his eyes widened slightly.

"So then, it seems not only the Shikon jewel has mysterious powers," he murmured aloud. He glanced to InuYasha.

"I always considered it too coincidental to have crossed your path. You have been reborn, yet your soul is the same. The necklace had sealed your yokai powers. When the spell was revived, it was returned to you, as were your memories."

"Is that why you became so involved in my life?" InuYasha asked.

"That, and I had my own regrets to atone for,"

Kagome glanced at the young woman whom sat across from her. Her hair was long and silky in appearance, and unlike InuYasha, her ears were like that of Sesshoumaru. Her amber eyes were darker than even InuYasha's, but were no less intense. A cat slept soundly on her lap, which she gently pet as her adoptive father spoke quietly, while a warm fire burned in the fireplace. Kagome felt herself more comfortable than she had in a while, sitting beside InuYasha on the very plush couch. Aiki was her name, and she didn't talk much, but rather opted to sit in silence as Sesshomaru spoke quietly. Her calmness reminded her of Rin…

"So, you all stayed in Edo up until the revolution around the mid eighteen hundreds," Kagome spoke up Once Sesshomaru sat down in one of the plush chairs.

"Well, we were sure that Edo wasn't the place to be at that time, not for everyone else that was in our household at the time. I took them all back to the West." Sesshomaru answered.

"Hiroshi was in Kyoto at that time though," Aiki spoke up. Sesshomaru made a funny noise at that.

"There was no reasoning with him back then, he was very angry," Sesshomaru said quietly.

"Why?" InuYasha finally spoke up.

"It's…complicated, and it's a story he should tell should he ever feel the need to share it." Sesshomaru said.

"Keh, figures…"

"We must be careful as to what is spoken here, if what you say is true, and that you do indeed travel back in time, to a time, I would much rather try to forget,"

"YOU would try to forget?" InuYasha asked with an arched brow.

"You will learn soon enough,"

Kagome couldn't help but marvel at it all. The impossible was now a living reality. When she first began to travel back and forth between the two dimensions of time, it was like she was living a fairy tale, and everything back then was gone now. But here they were, just as they had been then, flesh and blood. She was grateful that Sesshomaru survived the ages. Despite how he was when she first met him, she saw the change in him over the few years she'd been traveling there, and crossed paths with him. Namely, the small girl that adored him, and was always by his side…

The doorbell rang, and Aiki shot upright. The cat fell to the floor with a thump as she bolted out of the room, exclaiming that the pizza had arrived.

"She's kind of hard to figure out," Kagome spoke up quietly.

"She is a lot like her mother," Sesshomaru said, before getting more comfortable in his chair. Kagome wondered then where the little imp Jaken was…

"So…I take it daddy doesn't know who you really are," Ayumi spoke up herself finally. Kagome offered her a sidelong glance before looking to Sesshomaru to see his reaction.

"Of course not, and I expect you not to tell him either," he said sternly, more like the Sesshomaru she remembered. Kagome bit lip in surprise as Ayumi rolled her eyes. Apparently, she wasn't aware of exactly what Sesshomaru was CAPABLE of.

Aiki came back with two large boxes of pizza, which smelled heavenly, with a big smile on her face.

They ended up speaking late into the night, and when midnight approached, Kagome called home to let her mother know where she was, and that she was still with InuYasha.

Ayumi had gone home hours ago, courtesy of one of the many limo's their family owns. As she would expect, Sesshomaru was very well off. InuYasha even had his own car…which he seemed to recall as if it was something he forgot long ago. Seeing him driving down the street was something that brought a laugh out of her. He decided it was a silly thing to do, since he could run faster than he could drive.

After everyone else had gone to sleep, they went to his room….which was bigger than her entire house. Okay, so that was exaggerating…but only a little bit. He had a nice desk, which he sat down in the soft desk chair. She opted to lie down on his bed, while he explained what some of the things in his room was. There were a lot of photos of him from when he was younger, and she smiled. She finally got to see what he looked like as a small child. One of them was him as a toddler, being held by a smiling Sesshomaru, wearing the same type of talisman to mask his yokai appearance. It was so cute she wanted to hurl. If only they had those chances to be close the first time around. Maybe now they had that chance…though she was certain they would cross paths with Sesshomaru in the past, which wouldn't be at all what he's like now…

InuYasha sprawled out on the bed next to her, looking as tired as she felt.

"A lot of things are different, but somehow, nothing feels all that changed," she admitted aloud.

"It makes me wonder," he said quietly. She turned her head slightly, to look at him.

"About?"

"If any of this would have happened, if I hadn't chose to stay with you. I just can't picture a different outcome, because right now I'm where I want to be. I could be in a small shack in the middle of nowhere and I wouldn't care so long as I was with you," he said. Kagome melted, and turned on her side so that she could rest her head on his chest.

"We still have work to do," she pointed out.

"Yeah, but let's worry about that tomorrow, I'm too tired now to study for the test, and afterwards, we have to go look for Naraku,"

"Is this goose down?" she remarked.

"I think its memory foam," he said sleepily. Before Kagome could ask him anything else, she fell asleep in his arms.

**********************************************************************************************

He awoke first, with mornings first light. At first, he pondered going back to sleep, but Kagome's hair draped over his face woke him fully, and he carefully maneuvered himself so he didn't wake her up as he sat up slowly, her hair….wait, it wasn't her hair…it was his hair!! He grabbed the much longer locks, and gawked at his much longer hair. It was back to being as long as it was back then.
It slid through his fingers, and he groaned. How was he going to explain his new hair length to everyone at school??

Kagome shifted behind him, and sat up slowly, her uniform wrinkled beyond belief. He looked down at his own uniform which was likewise wrinkled. They were so tired from the long night, a night which went much better than he anticipated that they hadn't had the chance to change into something more practical to sleep in, and fell asleep in their uniforms.

"Well, I guess schools out of the question," he murmured. He scratched his head, and looked at the clock. With a half hour before school began, there was no time to wash hers, dry it, iron it, and be ready in time. He may be fast when it came to getting to school, but it didn't apply to other things…well, not that he knew of anyways.
Hopefully it didn't…

Why the hell did THAT come to mind?!

A knock at the door made him jump slightly.

"InuYasha, I have arranged for your, and the Miko's schoolwork to be picked up this afternoon. After the long night, I am sure neither of you are up to rushing to get there, when neither of you have a cleaned uniform. You need rest before you go back." Sesshomaru's voice came from the other side.

"Thanks," he answered. He wasn't used to saying thank you to him, of all the years he lived with him as a human were nothing compared to two hundred years of hostility…

He decided to take his advice, and he fell back on the bed with a sigh. Kagome opened her eyes sleepily, and smiled at him. She blinked a few times, before her eyes widened slightly. She propped up on one elbow quickly.

"You hair!" she exclaimed.

"I know…" he said groggily, rubbing his eyes.

"The time!"

"Don't worry about it, were not going. Sesshomaru took care of the school situation too," he began, he offered her a smirk.

"It looks like your reputation is still intact." he finished. She looked at him carefully, and he suddenly felt fearful. That was bold of him to say, and he was suddenly unable to read her expression…

She picked up her pillow, and smashed him as hard as she could with it.
And rather than getting the extra rest, they had a pillow fight that left his room looking like a few dozen chickens exploded.