- Text Size +

Curiosity - Chapter 10 - "What Goes Up"

*With Kagome riding back to the well on Kirara*

"Oh that Inuyasha he just makes me so mad! He says he doesn't remember but I know good and well that he does. I told him in advance so that he would be prepared AND I gave him a list of days that I had to go back. Grrrr, one day Inuyasha, one day," "TO THE MOON!" Kagome silently fumed, while yelling that last part out loud my mistake.

Kirara turned her head and gave Kagome an incredulous look that said "you want me to take you where?"

"No, no Kirara! Ignore that, I was just venting out my anger about all the things that Inuyasha tried to pull. I don't want you to take me to the moon. Just go ahead and continue onto the please." Kagome said, shaking her head back and forth in the "no" fashion.

Kirara meowed in response as to respond "ok, whatever you say" and turned her head back to continue on their journey.

Meanwhile, Kagome took in the sights around her. It was always exciting to take a ride on Kirara, well, when your not in the middle of a battle that is. You got to see the countryside as few would see it. Beauty as far as the eye could see and forests that went on for miles.

Kagome's mind went from thinking about the wonderful view to the homework she had stashed away in her backpack. "Let's see, I've got my two book reports, the thesis on man, all of my math homework, my sketchbook for art, the essay on dog packs for zoology, and... oh there is something I am forgetting! The herbal remedies essay, that's it! Good thing I know a person like Kaede or I would get an "F" on that paper for sure!"

When Kagome was last in school, she had collected all of her work in advance, thanks to all of her helpful teachers. Apparently in her health class, the teacher had been teaching the class about natural and homemade remedies, that of course involved the usage of herbs in the medical field. So naturally one of her assignments had been to write a report about the uses of herbs for all different remedies. This assignment really made Kagome excited, for she knew that without a doubt she would ace this one, with the help of Kaede it is. As soon as she returned to the Feudal Era, she immediately enlisted the help of Kaede. Kagome even made Inuyasha stay an extra day in the village so that she could pick Kaede's brain for all she knew so that she could write her report while on the road.

"I'll have to make sure to bring Kaede back something special from home for all the help she's given me. Hmm, I wonder if I got all of the information right. Maybe I should stop off at her hut before going home so she can read it to see if I wrote it ok. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea."

Kagome came out of her reverie and saw the Sacred Tree coming up ahead, signaling that they were almost to the well. "Kirara, could you drop me off at Kaede's instead? I need to have her go over something."

Her reply was a resounding roar from her feline companion and within minutes they were landing in front of Kaede's hut. Surprisingly, none of the villagers were scared that a neko youkai just landed in front of their village priestess hut. In fact, some of the villages even greeted them.

"Good day Lady Kagome! You too Kirara!" "Hello priestess!" "Welcome back Lady Kagome!"

Of course she replied back to them earnestly and then bid Kirara goodbye, with the promise of bringing her back some kitty treats for flying her back. And with one final pat, the two tailed cat made her way back to her mistress and the rest of the rag tag group.

Kagome was about to walk into Kaede's hut when a cold chill went down her spine that made her hair stand on end. She had this odd feeling that she was being watched. She glanced over her shoulder towards the woods to see if there was anything, even went as far as sending out her aura to see if she could sense anything. "Huh, guess I'm just becoming paranoid." But she was right, she was being watched. And not by two sets of eyes, but three.

With that Kagome made her way into the elder miko's hut. Upon entering she saw Kaede next to the fire pit mixing up some sort of concoction, most likely for a sick or injured villager.

"Good afternoon Kaede, how have you been?"

It was then that Kaede noticed the girl standing in her doorway. "Come in child and set a spell, I've been fine. Protecting and taking care of the village as ye know. What about you?"

Kagome removed her shoes and walked over to the fire pit to take a seat near Kaede, who had begun to make some tea for the two of them.

"Oh, I've been fine, so have the others. Tired and in need of a rest as always." She paused and took the tea Kaede offered and nodded her head in thanks. "The reason I stopped was to ask if you could please read my report that I asked you so many questions about. I wanted to make sure I got all of the facts right before I turned it in at school."

Kaede took a sip of her tea before putting it down and looking towards Kagome, "Aye, I will look over it. But ye will need to stir this potion for me while I do."

Setting down her own cup, Kagome pulled her bag over, unzipped the top, and pulled out her homework folder, which she immediately began searching through the endless papers for her essay. After about two minutes she finally found it and handed it to Kaede.

"My child, ye certainly have a lot of work from this school ye go to."

"Yeah, but that's only because a certain hanyou won't let me go back more so I wouldn't have all this work to do."

At that statement both of them laughed as Kaede started to read through the young miko's four page report.

When ten minutes had passed, Kagome finally got her papers back, and Kaede's potion was returned to her. "That was very well written Kagome. I am sure that ye teacher will be proud of the hard work ye put into it. Ye are a very smart girl."

Kagome glanced at Kaede with a look of appreciation, "Well, I did learn from the best you know."

A smile covered the old miko's face at that complement before she turned her attention back to her task at hand. Every once in a while she would glance at Kagome, only to see her trying to get her backpack into order. But this time when she looked up, she saw Kagome with one of her flat scrolls and odd writing brush. (Notebook and pen)

"What are ye doing child?"

"I'm writing a list so I can be sure to remember all of the supplies I need to get before coming back here again. Is there anything you need Kaede? You know, any special medical supplies or food."

A thoughtful looked crossed Kaede's face. "No child, not that I can think of at the moment. There are still plenty of supplies left from the last batch ye brought me."

She didn't even look up from her writing to answer Kaede, "Ok, but if you ever need anything just let me know. You do so much for us, it's only fair that we do something for you."

While Kaede answered, she mentally went over her list, "Ok, Ramen and potato chips for Inuyasha, crayons and paper for Shippo, shampoos and wax for Sango, cola's and new brushes for Miroku, kitty treats for Kirara, and finally something special for Kaede. Yep, I think I've got everything listed. No wait, I forgot the all of the medical things. How could I have ever forgotten about those?"

"Child that is unnecessary. I am a priestess and it is what I do."

Kagome smiled as she packed her list away in her bag, "I know Kaede, but it's only fair. You know, sometimes I feel that we impose on you way to much and I just feel the need to show all of our appreciation to you for all of the things you do."

A low chuckle answered her, "Ye have no reason to think like that child. This old woman is just happy to have some company every once in a while."

As Kaede finished speaking, the old yellow backpack was already on the young miko's shoulder as she began to head towards the door. "Well, if you think of something you need just tell Inuyasha. Knowing him he'll be after me to come back early anyway." She giggled out as she put on her shoes, "I guess I'll be going home now. Have a nice day Kaede!"

"I'm afraid you won't be going anywhere just yet Kagome."

Both miko's inside the hut turned to the direction of the door to see a person that neither expected to see.

Chapter End Notes:

A/N - Sorry for the shortness of this chapter, but this is where I wanted to stop at this particular time. Didn't think you wanted to hear every single detail about everything, it would only make it more complicated and redundant. Besides, if I didn't this chapter would be WAY too long. BUT, due to the shortness of this chapter, I WILL POST THE NEXT IN TWO DAYS!