- Text Size +

Curiosity – Chapter 19 – "One, Two, I'm Coming For You."

*Feudal Era ~With Inu-tachi*

"Damn it!" Inuyasha bellowed as he took down yet another demon with the Wind Scar. Honestly, how many more demons were going to spontaneously decide to attack them on their way back to the village of Edo?

This was the twelfth time in two days that this odd occurrence had, well, occurred. They just couldn't figure out why these demons all of a sudden wanted to attack them. It just didn't make any sense. And these idiotic demons weren't helping them any by blocking the road back to the small village. At this rate, it would take them two weeks instead of the normal two days to get home, and only God knows how much trouble Kagome could get into until then.

"When the hell are these damn demons going to leave us the hell alone?" Inuyasha yelled out to no one in particular.

He heard Sango sigh from the other end of the clearing as she hoisted her Hiraikotsu back upon her shoulder before hearing her footsteps getting louder and louder until they stopped right behind them.

"It does seem odd. Even with all the exterminating jobs I've been on I've never seen twelve demons attack in two days for no apparent reason. It just doesn't make any sense."

Jingling alerted the two to Miroku's presence. "I must agree with my beautiful Sango. I was thinking the…"

"HENTAI!" Sango yelled before Miroku received yet another bump on his head by the Hiraikotsu.

"Bouzou I swear if you do that again I will cut your damn arm off and then you won't have to worry about that f'ing curse anymore!" Inuyasha let out frustrated.

"He said that the last two times too." Shippo muttered to Kirara who, in return, meowed in agreement.

Growling could be heard from Inuyasha as he turned to glare at Shippo while cracking his clawed hands.

"What did you say kit?" He asked murderously.

A chase was about to ensue between dog and fox but a bop from Miroku's staff stopped that little incident rather quickly.

"Inuyasha now is not the time to be picking a fight with Shippo. We need to come up with a possible explanation as to why this is happening." The monk explained.

Silence encompassed the group as they tried to come up with a logical reason as to the current wave of attacks. It only took two minutes for Inuyasha's thought processes to stop and his incessant foot tapping to set in.

"Keh, this is stupid. Let's just head on back to the old hag's already. We're behind enough as it is." Without even looking to see if they were following, Inuyasha took off down the path towards Edo.

"Well they can't be after the jewel shards because they're with Kagome right?" Shippo questioned as the rest of the group trued to keep up with the hanyou's pace.

Sango gave him a soft smile to let him know that he was right, but kept silent so as to not upset their hanyou companion.

But wouldn't you know it, not even an hour later, yet another random demon decided to attack the group. It was a dirty and very smelly pig demon, clad in nothing but a pair of hakama and its sword.

Tired of being halted so many times on their way back to the village, Inuyasha did what he would normally do in an intense battle; jump right in without thinking up a strategy.

"Should we get out there and help him or let him blow off some steam?" Sango wondered aloud as she turned to ask Miroku's thoughts on the subject.

"Mi…Miroku I don't like that look on your face." His face was twisted in a way that looked thoughtful, but also like he had some sort of sadistic, possibly stupid plan conjured in the depths of his brain.

"Miroku, what are you thinking?" She asked.

He didn't answer for a few moments as he gazed out at Inuyasha fighting what seemed to be a seemingly easy battle. Then he did the most reckless thing that he had probably ever done.

Miroku ran towards the pig demon just as it had jumped way from Inuyasha and was preparing to go engage in swordplay again. Just as the demon sprang after Inuyasha again, Miroku was before him, brandishing his staff, and within the blink of an eye the demon's sword was thrown to the other end of the road and the pig was being pinned against a tree, Miroku's staff at his throat and sutras mere inches from its face.

"What the hell are you thinking monk?" Inuyasha yelled irately as he ran up to the pair and was preparing to chop off the pig's head with Tessaiga.

"No Inuyasha, I have a better plan. Perhaps we could get some information out of him as to why there have been so many attacks."

Yet another bump appeared on Miroku's head courtesy of the Hiraikotsu.

"That's what your plan was? How stupid can you be? You almost got yourself killed!"

"Sango, I believe we should discuss how stupid I am later. For now, I think we should focus on getting answers from this demon."

"As if I would ever tell you anything!" A squeaky voice declared.

All heads turned to face the pig demon in their mitts. Surely that little high pitched voice didn't come from this demon.

"Keh, you really are a pipsqueak if you talk like that. You must've not reached maturity yet if you're talking is that high. You just trying to be all tough are ya? Well if you don't give us answers there is going to be a big damn fight on your hands. One that I can guarantee you won't survive." Our hanyou said threateningly.

Miroku could feel his staff move from the huge gulp the pig took due to his nervousness. They could all tell he was scared, but they didn't know in which direction the pig would want to choose to move further down; the one that let him live if he answered all their questions correctly, or the one that led down towards destruction, which basically included giving up his life.

What happened next surprised them all .The demon suddenly started wailing and squealing its head off. And throughout the entire time, between all the squeals and wails, he pleaded over and over again for his life.

After almost two whole minutes of his bawling, a slap echoed throughout the clearing and a bright red mark appeared upon the pig's cheek, followed by a look of shock.

"Your damn yowling is hurting my ears. Now I want to know why the hell you were attacking us!" Inuyasha asked through clenched teeth.

"I…I…I was tricked into it! I was told to keep you occupied!" The pig sputtered out quickly.

"Why were you trying to keep us occupied?" Shippo asked curiously.

"That information is for me to know and you to never find out." He spat out.

Shippo took things into his own hands then and threw one of his spinning tops, only to have it land on top of the pig's head, burst into a bigger form, and torture the poor demon; making him once again cry out in pain.

"Ow, ow, ow! Ok, I'll talk! I'll talk! I wasn't told the reason to keep you occupied. All I know is that I had to keep you here as long as I could so that she could put her plan in motion! Then if you didn't kill me I was supposed to wait until that weird blue floating snake thing came to signal me to retreat and let you pass."

That last sentence made their blood grow cold, especially Inuyasha's.

"Weird blue things? Those have to be Kikyo's soul stealers, but why would she want to detour us?" He wondered.

Growling low in his throat due to all of the frustration, Inuyasha grabbed the demon by his neck and hoisted him up higher onto the tree.

"This woman you speak of, did she have dark hair and was she wearing priestess clothes?"

The pig, fearing for his life once again, nodded his head furiously before adding the icing to the already layered cake.

"She did. And for some reason she smelled like graveyard soil and dark magic. I could only detect the slightest hint of her natural scent. I wouldn't have agreed to do anything but she swore if I didn't she would kill me right there on the spot." He sputtered out.

"Kikyo!" "Kikyo is behind this?" "What?" "Meow?" Inuyasha heard each member of the group say simultaneously.

Inuyasha's grip tightened on the pig's throat once again.

"Any other information we need to know about pipsqueak?"

"O…O…O…Only thing I can think of is that I was hired two and a half days ago to do this and my only reward was my life if I succeeded."

Tired of all this stupid shit, and the pig's abnormally high voice, Inuyasha threw him down to the opposite end of the road where his sword lay, telling him to get out of there and not to expect him to be so kind again.

Wanted to make a quick escape, the demon picked up his sword and began to walk away, but one last piece of information nagged him from the corner of his mind. He turned back to the group, who hadn't moved a single step and yelled back to them.

"Hey! If it's any consolation, when I was leaving the clearing where she managed to get my services I heard her tell one of those snake things that now it was time to head back to her village and stop her copy, whatever that meant."

Yet another bout of cold blood overcame the group due to this startling information.

"Does that mean what I think it means?" Shippo asked nervously.

Sango just nodded her head in response to his question, to stunned to actually speak.

"If he said she left two days ago and Kagome left two days ago, then that means that she is already there by now." Miroku added.

"Then what the hell are we all standing around for? Come on, we've gotta get back to the old hag's village and stop her!" The hanyou yelled back to the group as he started to take off, but was cut off by Sango.

"Do you think Kikyo would hurt Kagome? But why? Kagome hasn't done anything wrong. And Kikyo's never tried to harm Kagome."

"Shows what you know. Guess Kagome didn't tell her about that little 'almost getting killed' detail when she took our half of the jewel. I sure as hell am not gonna let that happen again." He vowed in his mind.

"I don't give a shit what your theories are. All I know is that we need to get back to the village now so that if she does have something planned I can prevent it."

With that, Inuyasha left the rest of his pack to get back to the village by themselves. He would make better time without them tagging along. Besides that, he didn't want them to see how worried he actually was. With each tree he passed, his worry for the futuristic miko only grew worse and worse. If this really was Kikyo behind this, and not some sort of trap, what was her point in all of this?

He shook his head to clear his thoughts. He didn't need to be thinking of this right now, he need to focus on getting back to the well before anything bad happened.

"Don't worry Kagome, I'm coming for you."