- Text Size +

Curiosity – Chapter 24 – "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, To School We Go"

"What do you mean you're coming to school with me?"

"I told you that I wished to know why you disappeared so often, usually with Inuyasha in tow. Obviously this 'school' is one of those things for which you return. Come Kaede we're leaving!"

"Hey what right do you have to order Kaede around? She may be your younger sister but she's your elder now!" Kagome fumed.

A frazzled looking Kaede appeared in the doorway followed by an annoyed looking Yasuhiro, both upset because one of their "smooching sessions" had been interrupted. Ever since they had been reunited only a few hours ago they couldn't get enough of each other.

After having a ten minute discussion, in which Kikyo still wouldn't budge about allowing Kaede to stay home, Kagome realized that if they didn't leave now then she would be late for school.

"Alright, alright, fine, let's all go to school. But we'll have to take my car if we're going to make it in time. It'll take half an hour to get there by car whereas walking would take an extra fifteen minutes, plus it wouldn't be fair to Kaede. Meet me at the bottom of the shrine steps." Kagome yelled as she walked through the house and out the back door to wherever this "car" thing was.

A minute later the two priestesses were waiting on some sort of smooth stone (sidewalk) beside what they could only assume was the street in Kagome's huge village. Her village, that was a surprise in and of itself, was one that the two women had never expected to see in their lifetimes. It was so big that the two priestesses wondered exactly how all of the villagers got around such a humongous village. More important than that, where were the rice paddies? Usually you could see them from the local shrine, so where did these people get their food from?

And what were the strange things that sounded like demons zooming back and forth before them? Better than that, where were the horse drawn carts and merchants? Did things truly change so much in five hundred years?

Both were brought out of their thoughts when one of those things pulled up in front of them with Kagome inside. It was a nice looking car, mostly red with a dash of white in the rear fenders, but the front of it didn't look like the others they had seen in the last few minutes. Instead of being mostly rectangular as the other cars were, this one had what looked like a horseshoe or horse collar in the front and had four of the round light things instead of two.

Kaede suddenly realized that she had seen this car before. Unlike her sister, she knew what a car was but was only playing dumb so that her secret wouldn't be revealed.

"This is the car that Hiro had when we first married. I was so afraid of it, thinking it was going to eat me, but what wonderful times we had in that car, oh so wonderful times. I even gave birth to Satoru in the back because we didn't make it to the hospital in time and he just couldn't wait to come into the world."

Being brought out of her reverie once again as Kagome apparently finished her little explanation of what exactly the huge thing was. Kaede saw Kagome opening both of the passenger doors urging Kikyo that it was alright and that if they didn't leave right away they would miss out on her schooling. She also requested that Kaede sit in the front while Kikyo go in the back, after all, you should respect your elders by letting them ride "shot gun." Without complaint, the sisters made their way into the car, as did Kagome, and they were off.

"Why does this beast appear different from the others?" Kikyo asked coolly as she watched this new world pass by.

Kagome smiled at her via the rear view mirror before returning her eyes to the road. "Well, to get a little technical, this car is older than the others you see. My car is a 1959 Edsel Villager Station Wagon so that means this car is about fifty-two years old. This was actually Gramps car, but as dad grew up he fell in love with them. It's actually a rare car, only made them for three years, but dad collected them anyway. He even went as far as to rebuild them if they were in too bad of condition. I decided to drive this one when I got my license because for one, it was my dad's favorite, plus it will hold all of Inuyasha's ramen in the back."

Time passed in comfortable silence until they got about fifteen minutes away from the school. As Kagome stopped at a crosswalk her girlfriends, Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi, saw the car and ran over as fast as they could.

"Morning Kagome!" They all said cheerfully.

"I can't believe you got this thing running, sure sounds good." Eri said approvingly.

"Thanks. Hey, do you guys want a ride? I can pull up in that parking lot over there and we can set up the third set of seats."

"Sure!"

Within minutes, the third seat had been pulled up. Yuka and Eri sat in the very back while Ayumi sat beside Kikyo. When they were off again, Kagome made introductions to everyone.

"Kaede, Kikyo, these are my girlfriends Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi. Girls, meet Kikyo and Kaede."

Hellos were exchanged, after which the girls kept staring in between Kikyo and Kagome, each one trying to find the courage to ask the question that was on all of their minds. Finally, Ayumi decided to be brave and possibly face Kagome's wrath.

"Um, Kagome, I know this sounds strange but are you and Kikyo…"

"No Ayumi, we're not sisters. In fact we're not even related." Kagome interrupted.

All of the girls let out a breath that none of them knew they were holding in. None of them even noticed when Kagome shut the engine off and began to get out of the car. They were surprised when Kikyo and Kaede started to follow Kagome into the school.

"Kagome, why are they here? Don't tell me their repeating middle school!" Yuka giggled out. "Oh wait, from their dress, are they here for history class today?"

"Now Yuka…" Kagome started.

"Wait a minute Kagome she's telling the truth. We begin studying the Feudal Age in history class today and the teacher said that he would have a couple people there in Feudalistic dress." Eri explained.

The young miko was surprised by that and explained that they weren't, which only had to make her come up with an explanation as to why they actually were there. The only plausible thing he came up with was that Gramps was tired of bothering with all the newfangled medicines for her "illnesses" and decided to take a different approach because he thought that maybe it was an evil spirit that possessed her or something. Astonishingly, not only did her friends believe her, but the school as well.

The day passed in a whirl for the two priestesses, both being stunned silent by how much Kagome had to learn in order to graduate. It was no wonder she got so aggravated with her homework, especially the math. Mind you, Kikyo and Kaede knew basic math, as was required with the job, but what was the use in adding letters? Neither could believe that Kagome could wrap her head around such nonsense, but she apparently had a very good understanding it for when they did the problems at the board, she had beaten everyone in the class. Kaede guessed that last night's study session had paid off for the girl.

Kaede was beyond amazed at what the children in the room learned throughout the day. She constantly whispered questions to Kagome, wanting to make sure she understood what they were teaching in the various classes. Even in the computer lab, the teacher had allowed her to try her hand at using one of the laptops the teenagers were working on, with Kagome's supervision of course.

Kikyo though just went through the day in silence. Silently though, she was interested in what they were teaching and found it mildly interesting, but she was having more fun watching Kaede. Her eye was filled with what could only be described as childish wonder at all of the facts and equations being said.

"Hn, Kaede was always a smart child, wanting to learn anything and everything she could. Her mind has always been like a sponge, soaking up all the knowledge that was presented to her. It pleases me to see her like this again, excited and happy."

It was finally time for their last class, History with Sensei Morimoto. As everyone took their seats and the teacher walked into the classroom, the entire class became silent, envisioning stories of bloody and horrific battles being told. Boy, were they wrong.

"Today as you all know is when we start studying the Feudal Age in Japan's history." Mr. Morimoto began. "Just like all my other classes today, I know you are expecting to hear of battles, this is where you're wrong. You all know that I take a different approach when teaching my classes, so we will be beginning with a tale I am sure you are all aware of; the legend of the Shikon Jewel."

Moans were heard throughout the class at this announcement; one of the boys even voiced his opinion on it.

"You can't be serious Sensei! We've all heard this tale, what, a million times? Besides, it's always the same thing. Boy meets girl, girl tries to kill boy, boy and girl fall in love, girl pins boy to tree, and girl dies. Simple as that!"

A chuckle resounded from Mr. Morimoto. "I'm afraid it isn't as simple as that. Now, most of you know the gist of the tale, but do any of you know the finer points? For example, with a show of hands, who knew that the priestess Kikyo had a younger sister?"

The two women who were in "question", if you will, were certainly surprised to be the center of attention, in one way or another. Their eyes focused on the eight students who had raised their hands, Kagome included of course.

"Good, now from you eight, who knows the name of the sister?"

As expected about four of the teens lowered their hands and the teacher asked the remaining to tell him her name.

"Aiko."

"Akemi."

"Kamiko."

"Kaede."

"Correct Ms. Higurashi, the younger sister's name was Kaede, in fact she was known as Lady Kaede to most of the villagers. This, class, is what I mean by saying you will be learning some of the more minor details. Now, if each one of you will come up and get a copy of my lesson we will learn more about Kaede and another lesser known person in the Shikon Universe, Myoga the Flea."


When the bell finally rang and students began to leave, Kagome trudged to her locker to pick up all her make-up work and to grab her sketchbook which she took to her art teacher to receive credit in the class.

Wanting to get home to make sure Gramps didn't destroy the house, Kagome began to leave with the two women when an unexpected surprise stopped her.

"Higurashi!"

Kagome turned at her name being called. She, like Kikyo and Kaede, paused from getting in the car and discovered that Hojo had stopped beside her with yet another gift in his hands.

"Oh hi Hojo, what's new?"

"I'm sorry Higurashi but I don't have any time to talk today, I'll be late for piano lessons if I don't get going, but here, I got you something for your nerves. Your Gramps told me you had a nervous breakdown so I did some research and got you some herbs to help you with that. Well, I've got to get going. Have a great day!" Hojo spoke as he rode off on his bicycle.

"I'm going to have to have a talk with that man. Hiro can't just go around saying that Kagome is having nervous breakdowns!" Kaede silently fumed.

The young priestess quietly laughed as she and the others got into her car. She set the present in between herself and Kaede and noticed she had a strange look on her face.

"Child, was that who I think it was?"

A giggle escaped from her again as she started the car.

"Yes Kaede that was the reincarnation of Akitoki Hojo."

Chapter End Notes:

A/N ~ Hope you all like this chapter. I will try to get another one up soon, maybe in the next day, who knows?

I would like to give a shoutout to EnnaLight who has reviewed every one of my chapters! *huggies*

BEFORE ANYONE ASKS ~ INUYASHA AND THE GANG WILL BE IN THE NEXT CHAPTER I PROMISE!

Also, the car is a real car. I decided to make Kagome's father an Edsel enthusiast. To see a pic of the car go to my DeviantArt page (same username) and there will be a pic in my gallery.

What did you think of this chapter? Was it to your liking?

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS! ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!

PROUD KAEDE/GRAMPS SUPPORTER!