- Text Size +

I do not own Inuyasha and I make no money from these stories.

 

4 - Chicken Pox - Red

 

Miroku turned the page again, finding the entire page decorated with bright red spots. He knew immediately what the entry represented, even without the words or the photos. When they were in second grade they'd spent the long holiday weekend at his family's cottage in the forest and on Tuesday when they returned to school, Kagome and Miroku were both rather itchy. Their parents had assumed they got into some poison ivy but when the teacher noticed their scratching and they were sent to the nurse, well, they found out that it wasn't poison ivy. They had both somehow gotten the chicken pox. When the school nurse called their parents to come and get them she'd explained that it was likely that one of them caught it and passed it to the other, but it was impossible to tell since they spent so much time together.

 

They were out of school for almost three weeks until they were no longer contagious and itchy, and since Kagome had a younger brother that hadn't had the chicken pox before and had somehow avoided contracting it from her so far, they spent the whole time at his house. Her mother came by during the day once Souta was at school to help out with the calamine lotion and the oatmeal baths. They had never had so much fun, except the itching of course. Miroku's father had brought a television into his room and the two of them lay in bed and watched cartoons all day. When their teacher sent home their work they did it together. They even scratched each other's backs.

 

When it was time to go back to school the two were rather upset that they would no longer get to see each other from sunup to sundown every single day, and they'd tried to convince everyone that they had somehow gotten the chicken pox again by covering themselves with little red dots using their markers. Too bad they didn't know that you only got the chicken pox once.

 

There were pictures of the two of them sitting in his bed, covered head to toe in little pink calamine lotion circles, pictures of them snuggled up together asleep, and then a picture of them covered in their marker pox as well.  There was a small paragraph in her dainty feminine writing.

 

‘If we could, we would have had the chicken pox forever! We had so much fun together! You scratched my back and I scratched yours, just what friends are for. Sometimes I wish we could do that again, just lie in bed together all day and watch television. I can't think of anyone I'd rather be sick with then you.'

 

‘Yeah,' he thought to himself. ‘I'd love to lie in bed with you all day too. Maybe not watching TV, but... okay, so maybe we could watch TV for some of the time.'