- Text Size +
AN: This chapter is actually going to be a series of flashbacks told in first person from Kagome’s POV, and maybe some of Inuyasha’s. I don’t know since I am writing this AN before I’ve actually written the chapter.
What Happened To Goodbye
Chapter 1
I can’t believe it has been two years since it all happened; all the smiles, laughs, and memories. I chuckle at that thought. I guess that’s why they’re called ‘memories’, right? I know I’m not making much sense right now. I suppose I should back up and tell my story. It’s not a good one though. Figured I should let you know that now. I’m eighteen years old, and my life can’t suck more than it already does. All the hopes and dreams I once had a few years ago are all gone, crushed by the same person who crushed my heart. I sighed as I fought back the urge to let a tear slip down my porcelain check.
“M-mama…” I heard the voice of my one year old baby girl call to me, as she climbed up on my lap and smiled in my face. Yea, I’m a teen mom. I don’t need your judgment, or yourpity.
“Hello my sweet baby, Ira.” I answered to her. Knowing I wasn’t going to get much of a response back from my one year old. Ira threw her arms around my neck and placed a family kiss on my mouth. “I love you too, honey.” I said to her, in response to her kiss.
Ira is a part of why my life is the way it is these days. But, of course I cannot put the blame on my baby. It’s not her fault, she didn’t conceive herself; and besides, I love being her mother…I wouldn’t trade that job for the world. I just would have rather become a parent a little farther down my timeline. But, that is the punishment I get for involving myself with someone the whole world told me not. I didn’t listen though. All that mattered was me, and my man. I chuckle at myself and my teenage stupidity. I gave up a lot when it came to him. I pushed away family, stopped talking to friends, and completely damaged the pretty decent life I used to live before I met him.
The most I can say though is that I don’t regret any of what I did, and I don’t regret the relationship. It was great, he was great and the feelings that we had for each other wasn’t like anything I could describe. But, it ended…and on a very bad note. That’s the only thing that I regret. Things didn’t have to end the way that they did. I thought he loved me the same way that I loved him. I was wrong though; he left me…and never told me why. Before I knew it, we were just over.
~~~
How They Met
It was an incredibly hot summers day in July when Kagome and her best-friend Sango decided to get a little vitamin D on the beach. Kagome sported a studded pink, bandue styled bikini in attempt to avoid tan lines from a normal strapped bathing suit. Her hair was in a high-side pony tail and she was laying on her kitten beach towel on her back with sunglasses on.
Sango was right next to her on her own beach towel, that was in the shape of a beach ball, sitting up. Sango’s hair was down, and she was wearing a black mono-kini . “I’m telling you Kagome, you really need to get out there and date someone seriously. You’re sixteen, and you go through guys like toilet paper.”
Kagome rolled her eyes, though Sango couldn’t see it due to the dark sunglasses Kagome was wearing. “Who needs a serious relationship in high school? All it does it open up the doors for heart break. There’s like a 20% chance that people stay with their high school lover for the rest of their lives-” Kagome rolled over to her side and put her weight on her arm to face her friend. “I refuse to let myself be one of the other 80%.”
“I don’t understand your views on relationships sometimes. You won’t even know if you’re part of the 80% that doesn’t last if you’re never serious about any relationship you’re in.” Sango looked at her friend who was clearly ignoring her by occupying her attention with her cell phone. “Kagome, are you listening to me?”
Kagome looked up, clearly uninterested in what Sango said, “Huh, yea…yea. I heard everything you said. Hey, look…I’m going to go get something from the concession stand. Should I bring you back anything?” She asked while standing up, and brushing some sand off of her legs.
“No, thanks…”
“Suite yourself, I’ll be back in a few.” She said while walking over to the concession stand.
“Inuyasha, watch out for that-” A male voice was heard from a distance.
Kagome felt a hard impact that knocked her onto her back, and she felt a body on top of her. “Ouch…” She groaned while being helped up to a sitting position by the person who knocked her down. When she opened her eyes, it took a minute for them to adjust from the blur she saw after being knocked down. But, when she finally could focus, she was greeted by a pair of soft brown eyes and a god-like angular face.
“Hey,” The guy in front of her said.
Kagome blushed lightly, and brushed some hair behind her ear, “Hey…” She answered with a sweet smile on her face.
“I’m sorry for running into you like that. I didn’t see you standing there, when I was running after the foot-”
Kagome placed her first two fingers on his lips to stop his apology, “Don’t worry about it. I’m fine, no harm done, right?”
“I guess you’re right,” He flashed her a toothy grin, while extending his hand for her to take, so he could help her to her feet. “My name’s Inuyasha, and what should I call you?”
“Kagome,” She answered with a cheeky smile of her own.
“Okay, Kagome” He stressed her name, causing her to blush even more. “You here alone?”
“Oh no, I’m just here with my boyfriend. I was heading to get some snacks for us to share.” She chuckled.
Visibly, Kagome could see that Inuyasha felt a little shut down at the term ‘boyfriend’. “Oh…”
“I’m only kidding,” She quickly added. “I don’t have a boyfriend. I’m just here with my friend, Sango. But, I really was on my way to get a snack.”
“Oh, really? Well, mind if I join and treat you? It’s the least I can do for running into you like that.”
Kagome bit her bottom lip to prevent from grinning like a school girl, “I think I’d like that.”
~~~
I smiled at the bitter-sweet memory. If I hadn’t decided to give into my snack craving at the time, I probably would have never met him. I’d be lying if I said it was a bad memory though. I mean, we did hook up in the beach bathroom right after we finished talking at the concession stand. I guess you could say from that point, I was hooked, line and sinker. He had me caught before I even hit the ground when I was knocked over.
We had started dating pretty casually from that day, till the rest of the summer. I was sixteen, he was twenty-two. My whole family and even friends told me he was too old for me, but I didn’t care. Like I said before, nothing else mattered when it came to me and him. The age difference didn’t bother us, so, why should it matter to anyone else. We were happy…well, I was happy. I can’t speak for him. I thought he was happy. I did everything in my power to keep him happy. I guess you could say that’s why our relationship got physical so soon.
When he had to go back to school at the end of August, I practically lived out of his apartment my entire junior year of high school, much to my mother’s dislike I should add. We were practically doing it every night because, I didn’t want him to think that we couldn’t be together despite my age. I couldn’t be just as much of an adult as he was. It didn’t matter in the end though. My efforts were in vein. I still lost him in the end, but, he lost out on something too. I lost a relationship, he lost a family.
~~~
How it ended
It was seven in the morning on a rainy Aprils day when Kagome was throwing up what was left of her last night’s dinner in the toilet. This had been going on for the past week and a half, and she had missed her period for the past two months. After weeks of denial, she finally broke down and purchased a drug store pregnancy test. Once finished releasing her insides to the porcelain king, she sat on top of the toilet seat staring at the results of the pregnancy test that she had just taken.
“How could I have let this happen…” She whispered to herself.
*buzz buzz*
Kagome heard the sound of her cell phone vibrating on the floor indicating that she had a text message. She looked at it, and her heart nearly skipped a beat when she saw Inuyasha’s name pop up on the screen. When she opened the texted, all it read was,
‘We need to talk…’
“What is that supposed to mean.” She asked no one in particular, but agreed nonetheless, that they did need to talk about what they were going to do about their future family. So, she replied,
‘Yes, we do. Can you meet me in the park pagoda this evening, around 6? Hopefully, the rain will stop by then.’
Inuyasha never did respond to her text message, but, lately he had been acting pretty moody towards her anyway. So, it didn’t alarm her too much that he didn’t say anything back to her. However, what did strike her as alarming is that, since that text…he hadn’t spoken to her at all for the rest of the say.
The only good thing that came from not having any contact with her boyfriend was that it gave her a chance to come up with how she would break the news to him that she was going to have a baby. After hours of contemplating, it was nearly time for her to meet Inuyasha in the park. So, she started walking her rout to where he was supposed to be meeting her.
It was a pretty chilly evening, so Kagome sported one of Inuyasha’s old, red hoodies that he had given to her, and a basic pair of black leggings. She had the hood over her head, which obstructed her peripheral vision, so she didn’t see Inuyasha standing in the pagoda before she got there.
She sighed, “I hope he doesn’t take it too rough…” She whispered, before looking up only to be met with the back of her boyfriend who was facing away from her looking out at the park scenery. “I-Inuyasha, I didn’t even see you standing there.” She spoke up.
You could hear him let out a deep, breath. “Yea, well…you won’t be seeing me much longer anyway.”
Kagome raised an eyebrow, “Well, if you don’t have time to talk right now…we can talk later, or over the phone. You know, whatever is convenient.” She said while trying to sound understanding.
Inuyasha sighed, “There won’t be a next time because,” He said while finally turning around to look her in the eye. “I’m breaking up with you.”
“W-what?” Kagome said in a low whisper that was barely heard. Without realizing it, she crossed her arms over her stomach. “B-but, why…what did I do?”
“I just don’t want to be with you anymore, sorry…” He said while walking past her, but was halted when Kagome grabbed the back of his jacket.
Tears were streaming down her face, but she didn’t want him to see her in a weak state. “Inuyasha-” She said lowly. “Are you sure you want to do this…especially right now?”
Inuyasha didn’t turn to her, “Please let me go, Kagome. We’re done here…” He said, and Kagome released his jacket. Inuyasha walked away and left her in the park in tears.
Kagome squatted down to the ground, wrapping herself in her arms as the tears continued to fall off her cheeks. “Why…” She whispered, “WHY!?” She screamed and then sobbed some more, “Why now…”
~~~
The was the last time I had ever seen or spoken to him. It doesn’t matter though, who says you need a man to take care of your child. I think I do a pretty good job on my own. Sure, I had to drop out of school in the middle of my senior year because I went into labor in the middle of my fourth period. Sure, my plans of finishing school valedictorian and getting into a good college for pediatric nursing were halted. Oh, did I tell you I was top of my class before I met Inuyasha? Yea, I was, until my relationship became more important than life itself. But, I can’t go back and change any of the decisions that I made. I just have to live with them. Besides, it’s not all bad. I have a beautiful daughter that I wouldn’t trade for the world, and a relatively supportive family. I have a job, it’s not the best. But, it keeps food on the table, and a roof over mine and Ira’s head. So, it’s not all bad. The only question that plagues me about life is…
What happened to goodbye?
-X-
AN: Okay, well yea. This was all Kagome’s memories. So, I guess I’ll write the second chapter in Inuyasha’s POV. I think this is going to be a pretty good one to come out of me. I already know where I want to go with it. I also guess I should give a shout out to the story that inspired me to write this. It’s called The Heir by Isabella Rain. Anyway, I hope you guys like it. Please review and give me some feed back. Also, HAPPY NEW YEARS!
-Kriss