- Text Size +
Chapter 5
Kikyo blankly starred at Inuyasha for a few minutes while allowing his explanation to sink in. It wasn’t every day that your husband tells you he has a child from a previous relationship after two years of being married. “So, what you’re saying is that I have a step-child.”
“Uh,” Inuyasha hadn’t expected her to be so calm about this. But perhaps this was the calm before the storm. “Well, technically…you can put it that way. You are my wife, and the Kagome’s daughter is mine as well. So, yes…you have a step-child.”
Kikyo narrowed her eyes at him, “How do you know that baby is even yours? You said yourself that she never told you she was pregnant? The kid might not be yours. She’s just after your money!”
He shook his head knowing that question was coming sooner or later, “If I know nothing else in this world, I know that girl never cheated on me. Another thing, Kagome NEVER knew about my money, she never knew about this company, and has yet to ever see the big mansion. When we were together, I was in college and living in an apartment. My apartment was the only address Kagome knew because at the time, Sesshomaru was the one in line as the company successor!”
“Wow,” Kikyo raised an eyebrow, “You sure are doing a lot of defending for an ex-girlfriend, is there something else you want to tell me?”
“This isn’t about defending her, Kikyo. But, I know she isn’t lying about the baby.”
She threw her hands up in the air, “Look, all I’m saying is that I don’t trust that girl. Things were going just fine, then all of a sudden she shows up with a kid and you believe everything she says to you? That doesn’t make sense to me and I don’t believe the baby is yours either. If she really is entitled, then so be it…but until you establish paternity, she is nothing more than a ‘princess without a kingdom’. She won’t inherit anything!”
“She’s my child if I say she is which will make her entitled! You can’t deny her that right,”
“Actually I can,” Kikyo answered nonchalantly and held up her left hand, exposing her wedding band. “Because I’m entitled as well, Inuyasha; or have you forgotten the terms of our arranged marriage? As long as we’re married, I own half of this company until a blood successor is born from me.”
“A successor has already been born!”
“According to you, but I still have a premarital agreement that doesn’t include a child from a past relationship. So, rather she is your child or not…you still have to establish paternity and she would only be entitled to the half of this company that you own.” Kikyo stood up from the seat she was in, and started heading out the front door, “And last I checked, your half isn’t doing so hot.”
Inuyasha watched his wife leave his office and he felt a little defeated by her. Though he didn’t want to admit it, she was right. They did have a contract which was signed before they were married to one another. Everything Kikyo said was absolutely correct. He leaned back in his oversized office chair and closed his eyes, “How am I going to be able to fix this?”
-X-
Kagome was at her old shrine home, visiting her family. A few short days had passed since her encounter with Inuyasha in his office. She remembered so enraged with him that it never occurred to her that she was standing in one of the biggest cooperation’s in Japan. The fact settled in after she had already left.
‘I wonder when Inuyasha got so important,’ she thought while mixing some scrambled eggs around the frying pan in front of her. ‘I guess I could ask him when he comes over.’ The two of them had arranged for Inuyasha to visit Kagome’s apartment for dinner for to meet Ira for the first time. Initially, he wanted to take the both of them out, but Kagome felt it would be less traumatic on her daughter to be in a homier setting.
Kagome’s mother, Kaori, was sitting at the kitchen table giving Ira breakfast and waiting for her daughter to finish cooking in the kitchen. Kagome still hadn’t told her that Inuyasha reached out to her, and wants to become involved in Ira’s life. She didn’t quite know how to tell her mom that she was allowing the very man that left her high and dry with a child, back into her life to be daddy dearest. Still, she had to tell her something sooner or later. “Mom…”
Kaori looked up from her grandchild, “Yes, Kagome?” She answered.
Kagome scooped the eggs onto two separate plates and placed them on the table with some assorted fruits. “I, uh…I’ve been doing some thinking.”
Ira finished her food, and Kaori started patting her back to induce a burp. “Oh, thinking about what?”
“Well, the other day…I ran into Inuyasha.” Immediately, Kagome had her mother’s full attention upon saying the name Inuyasha and the room suddenly became slightly uncomfortable. “He wants to become involved with Ira.”
Kaori raised an eyebrow at her daughter, “And…how do you feel about that?”
Kagome lowered her eyes while trying to think of the right way to answer that, “Honestly, I’m a little indifferent. I’d be lying if I said the idea thrills me, because that means having to see, and associate with Inuyasha when I don’t want him in my life anymore. After all, I was doing just fine until he showed back up” She looked into the eyes of daughter that looked back at her with much adoration.
After taking a few bites of the food in front of her, Kaori passed Ira off to her Kagome. “You know I have never been Inuyasha’s biggest fan from the very beginning. However, situations like this are incredibly sensitive and you have to put your child before yourself. Think about it, if your father were still alive and he and I didn’t get along, how fair would it be for me to keep you and Souta from him just because I had ill feelings towards him? Especially when he wanted to be involved with the two of you.”
“I’d be pretty upset, because it would be fair to me and Souta. I see your point.” She took a deep breath, “He’s coming over to my house tonight to meet her…but, I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it.”
“Kagome, you have to will yourself to be strong. That comes with being grown up, and being a parent.”
Ira stood up on Kagome’s lap and embraced her around her neck. “Mommy…” She said sweetly and Kagome smiled at her.
The site in front of her warmed Kaori’s heart. “Ira loves you deeply and she depends on you more than you know. You are her comfort zone, her rock; you have to be strong for her even when you cannot be for yourself. I just hope seeing Inuyasha again won’t turn you back into whatever you were two years ago.”
Kagome nodded at her mother, “I’m sorry, mom…for everything. Please don’t hate me anymore.” She said feeling the urge to let tears fall down her face
Kaori stood up from the table, and kissed her daughters forehead, “I don’t hate you, Kagome. You’re my daughter…I never hated you, and I never will. You are my baby girl, just like Ira is yours. Nothing can change that.” Just then, Kagome’s grandfather walked into the kitchen in search of his morning medicine. “Good morning, dad. Look who’s here.”
The elder man turned from the cabinet and saw his granddaughter sitting at the kitchen table with her own daughter in her arms. “Morning, grandpa…” Kagome said to him, but he merely grunted and turned his attention back to his medicine.
She sighed in defeat, “I give up…” She whispered, but it didn’t go unnoticed by Kagome’s mother.
“Just give it some time, he’ll warm up.” Kaori whispered to her.
“I hope so…”
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
Later That Night
Kagome scurried back and forth through her tiny apartment to make sure everything was in place and looking perfect. Inuyasha was expected to show up around six, and Kagome was in the middle of giving Ira a bath. “It’s already six o’clock…” She said to herself while glancing at the wall clock in the bathroom. Ira giggled, and kicked the bath water which splashed up at Kagome making her outfit completely wet. “You are so lucky you’re cute, baby girl.” She said with slight annoyance, but didn’t let it get to her.
A knock came from the front door, “I’ll be right there, Inuyasha.” She yelled and pulled the stopper out the drain of the tub and wrapped her daughter in a towel. After drying Ira off a little, she went to the front door and opened it.
“Kagome,” Inuyasha said casually and then noted that she was all wet, and Ira was wrapped up in a towel. “Did I interrupt bath time for you, or her?”
Kagome rolled her eyes and stepped aside so he could walk in. “Very funny,” She said.
Inuyasha looked around the small apartment, there wasn’t anything too exciting going on. The walls were white, and the floor was carpeted. In the middle of the living room were a small, black couch, coffee table and two end tables. There was a small TV across from the couch, and a play pin off to the side in a corner. On top of one of the end tables was a fish bowl with a tiny white and orange goldfish inside.
“Um, you can hang out in the living room for a few minutes while I get her dressed, and change my clothes. Turn on the TV if you like; I’ll just be a minute.”
He nodded, and watched her disappear behind a closed door down the narrow hallway of her apartment. Inuyasha had brought an assorted bouquet of flowers for Kagome, and a small teddy bear for Ira. This was the first time ever being in a situation like this one, and wasn’t sure if it was a gift giving occasion or not. He took a seat on the small couch and shifted a few times trying to get comfortable. For some reason, Inuyasha felt incredibly awkward and he couldn’t understand why. It wasn’t like this was the first time he had ever been alone with Kagome. Plus, this night wasn’t about her anyway…it was about building a relationship with his daughter.
A few short moments later, Kagome re-entered the living room wearing black jeans and a yellow, plaid button down shirt with no shoes on, and her hair pulled back into a high pony tail. Ira was wearing a plain, pink baby sleeper and laid her head on her mother’s shoulder. “Inuyasha…”
He gasped, and snapped his head in the direction he heard his name being called. “Y-yes?”
Kagome’s heart beat sped up with each step she took closer to him. ‘Don’t be a coward, Kagome. It’s just dinner…and he’s not even here for you.’ Inuyasha stood up, and met her halfway in the middle of the floor feeling just as nervous as she was. “Ira, sweetie…I want you to meet someone.” Kagome whispered in her daughter’s ear and she lifted her head and turned to face the strange person her mother was talking about.
Inuyasha’s eyes widened when his brown orbs focused on the brown set that was staring back at him. She looked just like a small version of Kagome, except for her eyes. When Inuyasha looked into Ira’s eyes it was almost as if looking at his own in a mirror. “She’s so…beautiful.”
Kagome smiled at him acknowledging the compliment. He reached out to take the baby into his own arms, but Kagome shied away and took a step back. “I don’t think I can do this…” She whispered to herself.
Inuyasha raised a brow, “I can’t hold her?”
“That’s not it…” She answered, “This is just…new territory for me, Inuyasha.” Ira looked at Inuyasha quizzically feeling the distress signals being given off from her mother. She too shied away from Inuyasha by shielding her face in Kagome’s neck. This action didn’t go unnoticed by both Inuyasha and Kagome.
‘Kagome, you have to will yourself to be strong. That comes with being growing up, and being a parent.’ Her mother’s words from earlier flowed into her head, and it was at that moment she realized that she was right. Ira’s feelings were a reflection of her own and because she was afraid, so was Ira. Kagome took a deep breath and swallowed her pride. She walked back over to Inuyasha and kissed her daughter’s forehead before gearing herself to hand Ira off to Inuyasha. “I want you to meet your daddy, sweetheart.” She said already knowing the concept would go in one ear, and out the other of her one year old.
Ira raised her head and looked into her mother’s eyes. Kagome smiled at her, assuring that it was okay to trust the stranger in front of her. Ira giggled and reached her arms out to Inuyasha implying to be picked up. Inuyasha took the hint, and this time Kagome didn’t move back. Upon taking his daughter into his arms, Inuyasha was suddenly filled with a variety of new emotions. He was happy, and smiled brightly at the little girl in his arms. Ira smiled back, and placed her tiny hands on Inuyasha’s cheeks.
Kagome clenched her chest feeling a bit overwhelmed as well. The site in front of her was one that she never thought she would have ever seen in her life. Here she was, standing in a room with her family. It was small, and she may not care much for her ex-boyfriend…but they were forever bound together by the daughter they shared. For now, Kagome was just fine with that. “I’m going to finish making dinner; it will be done in about twenty minutes. Can I trust you enough to keep her safe while I finish?”
“Duh, what do you think is going to happen, Kagome?” He asked nonchalantly.
She crossed her arms, “Seriously, Inuyasha…when you have a one year old, you’ll be surprised how quickly something can happen. It only takes a split second.” Kagome countered.
“Yea, yea…okay. We’ll be fine.”
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
It was getting close to nine o’clock, and Ira had already tired herself out and feel asleep in Kagome’s arms. After they finished eating, the three did a lot of family bonding with their mutual daughter. They played games, sang nursery rhymes, and even looked through a few old photo albums. To her surprise, she and Inuyasha managed to make it through the night without fighting. Though, a lot of it probably had to do with the fact that Ira didn’t need to witness that. Not on the first meeting.
“You’re doing a good job,” Inuyasha spoke up.
“Huh?” Kagome shifted on the couch they were sitting on to face him, “What are you talking about?”
“This parenting thing…” He said while picking up the teddy bear he brought earlier finding it to be more interesting than Kagome’s eyes. “All this time, you’ve been doing it alone. It makes me feel pretty shitty about-”
“Leaving me…?” She cut him off. Inuyasha cringed at her accusation, but nodded and agreed nonetheless. “Let it go, Inuyasha. Feeling sorry doesn’t change what is. Besides, I managed on my own and that’s all that matters. I mean, sure…there were times where I wished I could have had a little help here and there, but things always worked out for the best.” Inuyasha didn’t answer her. But her words did sink in. “What about you, when did you become the big business man you are now? You were into social work back when we were…well, you know.” She blushed not wanting to reference their previous relationship.
He finally turned his attention to her rather than the bear in his hands, “A lot has changed since you and I were together. But to answer your question, I inherited Takahashi Inc. from my father. I can’t say it’s one of the best things he left to me though.”
“You mean, you’re father owned that company?” She asked a little surprised at that answer.
Inuyasha nodded, “I’m the new CEO…” He answered sarcastically.
“You never told me you came from a high-class bloodline. I suppose that explains all the gifts and fancy dates back then.” Kagome chuckled. “You know, you could have told me.”
“My social status was never that important to me. Besides, when we were together…I wasn’t supposed to inherit anything but a well-respected last name. I have an older brother that was first in line to take over the company. But he eventually disowned the family and forfeited his entitlement. That forced me to have to take over…and give up one of the best things in my life.” He said, hoping she was picking up on his hint.
Kagome saw something in his eyes, but couldn’t decipher what it was she was seeing. Ira started to squirm in her arms, and broke her concentration. She took a glance at her wrist watch noticing it was going on nine-thirty. “It’s getting pretty late. I figured as much, Ira usually goes to bed around eight-thirty and she’s been asleep for a while.” She stood up from the couch they were sitting on. “I’m going to go put her down for the night and then I’ll walk you out.”

“U-uh Kagome, wait.” He wasn’t ready to leave yet. This was his opportunity to get his past off his chest and he wasn’t leaving until she knew the truth about what happened two years ago. “Can I come with you to put her to bed? I want to say goodnight before I go.”
“Sure,” She answered and gestured for him to follow him to the bedroom. The two walked into the quaint bedroom Kagome shared with her daughter. At first, it was a bit hard to see because the lights were off, and neither wanted to risk waking up Ira by throwing the lights on.
Inuyasha looked around the room, on one side was Kagome’s neatly, made-up bed with a night-stand and lamp to the left of it. Across from Kagome’s bed was Ira’s crib. On the other side was a closet, and dresser that sat in front of the window. He followed Kagome to the crib and placed the bear he got Ira in the crib next to his sleeping daughter. “Goodnight, kiddo.” He whispered to her and walked over to the dresser, allowing Kagome to do her normal bedtime routine.
A small music box sitting on top of the dresser caught his attention. He opened it up and it began playing a soft, beautiful melody. But, it was what he found inside of the box that blew his mind. Inuyasha picked up the very same necklace he had given to Kagome on the night of their anniversary. ‘I can’t believe she kept it all this time…’
“I open that sometimes when Ira is being a bit restless before bed. I think she likes the music it plays.” Kagome spoke up, breaking Inuyasha’s sudden trance.
Inuyasha slipped the necklace back into the box, and closed it. “It’s funny…” He said softly, “I’ve often wondered what my life would have been like if my brother never disowned the family…or if I hadn’t been born a Takahashi at all.”
“What are you talking about, Inuyasha?”
He still never turned around to face her; instead, his focus was on the full moon outside the window. “The reason I broke up with you wasn’t for the reason that you think it was. I never left you to go be with Kikyo. I left you because I was forced to be with her. A few weeks before I left you, my father told me that Sesshomaru left the family. He was originally supposed to marry her to finalize a company merger. But, my dad was a tyrant and a control freak. He didn’t care who he had to stomp on if it meant getting his way, even if it was his own kids he stepped on. That was why my brother left in the first place, he would rather lose his title and trust fund, than be a servant to my father; thus, making all his responsibilities my own. My father made me believe that the companies’ financial losses were due to my deficit spending and I felt like it was my responsibility to fix it. I didn’t want to do any of it, I never wanted to marry Kikyo, I even refused…and then, my father used you as bait to get what he wanted. He threatened me with you to make me do everything he wanted. I never had the heart to tell you any of this because…I never wanted to hurt you. I thought I was helping you by keeping all of this a secret and just disappearing from your life all together. I thought I was helping you heal better.”
Kagome leaned against the crib feeling her legs getting a little weak, his story really hit her in a soft spot. She could never imagine what it was like to have someone else live through you. “W-why are you telling me all this now…?” She asked.
Inuyasha spun around and Kagome saw the tears in the corner of his eyes that threatened to fall at any moment, “Because…leaving you was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, Kagome. If being a Takahashi meant losing you…I would have rather not been born my father’s son!” She gasped while settling in on his words and they replayed in her head like a broken record. “If it weren’t for my last name, we’d still be together-”
“Please stop…” Kagome cut him off, walked over to her bed and sat down. “What is the point of telling me all this? It doesn’t change anything…it doesn’t make this any easier. Besides, the fact still remains…you’re married, and I’m still a single, teenage mother; too bad, so sad.”
Inuyasha walked over to the bed and knelt down at her lap. “I’m telling you this because you need to know that there hasn’t been a day that’s gone by where I didn’t think about you. I never stopped thinking about you.”
“Inuyasha, you know you shouldn’t be saying any of this to me.”
Inuyasha took her hands in his, “I shouldn’t have left you two years ago, either; but, I’m going to make things right. You’re not going to be in this alone from now on, I promise.”
Kagome’s eyes softened as she looked into his. His face had ‘I’m sorry’ written across his forehead. She cracked a small smile and nodded her head, “Pinky swear?” She chuckled and held up a pinky. But, what Inuyasha did went beyond a pinky promise, he took both of her cheeks into his hands and brought her face to his own, capturing her lips in a deep, passionate kiss. ‘Is this really happening? He’s…kissing me!’ she thought. But this kiss wasn’t like the ones they shared in the past. This kiss didn’t say ‘I love you’, it said, ‘I miss you’. Their lips moved together in synch for a few seconds before they broke for air.
“Do you believe I’ll keep my promise, Kagome?” He asked her, sincerely.
She nodded her head yes, “I believe you…”
-X-
Inuyasha walked into his house several hours later and tried to be as quiet as possible. All the lights in the house were off and it was dead silent downstairs. “Kikyo must already be asleep…” He whispered to himself. He didn’t intend on staying with Kagome until one in the morning, it kind of just happened that way. Inuyasha crept into his giant kitchen and pulled a carton of chocolate milk from off the top shelf of his fridge and turned it up to his mouth as if it were beer.
“You’re home early…” Kikyo’s voice rangsarcastically through the kitchen while flipping on the lights.
Inuyasha jumped from the surprise of both the lights, and her voice. He even accidentally spilled milk all down his shirt and on the floor. “Jeez, Kikyo…you scared the shit out of me.”
She shrugged her shoulders, grabbed a glass out the cabinet and took a seat at the mini bar in their kitchen, “Not my fault you’re creeping inside the house at wee hours of the night. What are you so jumpy for anyway?”
“I’m not jumpy,” He answered her and wiped his shirt dry with some paper towels. “What are you doing up at this hour?”
Kikyo raised an eyebrow, pouring chocolate milk into the glass the retrieved moments before. “Since when do I have a bed time?” She took a seat, “Besides, shouldn’t I be the one asking you all the questions, Mr. Walk in the House at One AM after dinner with my EX?”
“Alright, alright…you win. What do you want to know?” Inuyasha leaned up against the fridge and crossed his arms.
“What were you two doing, that you came in so late? I’m sure the baby was long asleep by now.”
“She was asleep, and you know what, Kikyo…so were me and Kagome! Are you satisfied?”
Kikyo choked on chocolate milk when she heard ‘sleep’, “You slept with her!?”
“Not like that! I mean, we literally SLEPT. We were talking about some things, and eventually nodded off. It wasn’t intentional…but it was late and I didn’t want to leave early. It was the first time I met Ira, I just wanted to stick around for as long as I could.”
“Oh, that’s it…huh?”
He nodded, “That’s it…” ‘Sort of...’
Kikyo finished the glass of milk she was working on, “So, did you swab that baby yet?” She asked attempting to change the conversation.
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow, “What…? No! I can’t do something like that the first time I meet her. Besides, the proof is for you not for me! I know that little girl is mine!”
“That’s what you think…until you know for sure.” Kikyo sang in a high tone, mockingly.
He narrowed his eyes at her and shook his head, “I’m not going there with you about this, again.” He started walking past her and out of the kitchen when Kikyo stood up and wrapped her arms around his waist from behind.
“Don’t go to bed upset with me, Inuyasha…I’m just, worried.” She said softly.
“Worried about what?”
“I’m worried about how all this will end for me. You just started warming up to the idea of being together, and now…it’s already falling apart because of that girl!”
He swung around and grabbed Kikyo by her upper arms, “That girl…is my daughter!”
Kikyo winced at the pain from the tightness around her arms, “I wasn’t talking about the baby, and I was talking about her damn mother! That girl! And please let go, Inuyasha you’re hurting my arm!”
Inuyasha took a deep breath and released her from his grasp, “Sorry…” He said to her, and she snaked her arms around his neck.
“No…I’m sorry.” Kikyo said and pulled his head down to hers, placing a tiny peck on his bottom lip.
At first, Inuyasha didn’t respond to her kiss. Something about it just didn’t feel right, but he knew that it wouldn’t be wise to keep rejecting her advances. They were supposed to trying to make things work as a married couple after all. But, he still had lingering feelings for Kagome…and after tonight, he knew she at least still held small ones for him as well. Or at least, he hoped so. In a bitter defeat with his consciousness, Inuyasha closed what remaining gap there was between him and her by pulling her closer and returning her kiss.
‘This isn’t right…’
-X-
AN: Chapter’s done 1/15/2014! I’ve decided from now on that I will update a new chapter when I complete at least half a chapter of the following one. Did that make sense? Basically, this fifth chapter is complete, but I won’t post it until I am at least nearly complete the 6th one. That way I always have something that is ready to be posted. I think it will make my updates a little quicker that way. I figured I’d explain the confusion with you all getting notification about chapter 5…and it not being there. I posted it, then thought about it, and deleted it. Please don’t have me lynched! I love guys!
Anyway, so what did you guys think? Pretty crazy that Inuyasha makes out with Kagome, and then comes home and starts kissing Kikyo…freaky! Also, why is Kikyo so dead set on not wanting Ira to be Inuyasha’s child? What does she have up her sleeve? And, why is Inuyasha’s company still losing money when his marriage to Kikyo was supposed to fix all of that?
I hope all are enjoying this because I am having a super fun time writing it! Leave me a review, and I’ll return the favor with quicker and longer updates!
Kriss