- Text Size +

It was Wednesday and Kagome had the nightmare memory of the final battle with Naraku still lingering in her mind. It had lost its razor like edge as her mind replayed it over and over again eventually dulling it but still certain aspects of it disturbed her. She didn't know why exactly but the clanging sound the Tessaiga had made as it landed in front of her echoed in her mind like a death toll. Listening to it in her mind, Kagome had the oddest feeling that she was forgetting something, that somehow that sound was a key to unlocking a hidden memory. Even odder was the fact that for some reason she felt she did not want to remember whatever it was.

Trying to distract herself from the phantom clanging, Kagome searched for something near her to serve purpose. Earlier in the week Kagome had agreed to meet Sess in the lobby of the west Cinemarc for the 5 o'clock showing of Cowboy Bebop, and so she found herself there now looking at some hyperactive kids on the new dance dance arcade game. Watching the little legs stamp down on the glowing surfaces in perfect sync to the arrows on the screen, she briefly wondered if she had time to give it a shot.

"Thinking of dancing to the groove Kagome?" The voice of Sess in her ear nearly had Kagome jump out of her skin before she realized it was him.

Kagome turned to look at Sess trying to resist the warm smile pulling on her lips. "That is the second time you have managed to sneak up on me and startle me out of my thoughts. If you keep doing that I'll have to sick Ayumi on you."

Sess brushed away a hair on her face. "Frightening as that might be, I still wonder if you want to dance."

Kagome took his hand and started leading him to the actual theater. "Honestly I was thinking about it but the movie is starting in just a minute and in these shoes it wouldn't be all that fun."

"Yes, I can see that those heels might be a bit of a problem. We will just have to save that for a later time."

Pulling open the doors and entering into the darkness of the theater, Kagome was pleased to see that the previews were still going. Still leading Sess by the hand, she located a mostly empty row by the top and climbed the stairs to it. Just as she sat down with Sess, the final preview ended and the movie started.

115 minutes later...

Kagome exited the theater with Sess's arm around her waist and feeling quite pleased. "So what did you think of the movie?"

"Spike has some sweet moves on him. Not as good as mine of course, but impressive nonetheless."

Kagome sighed in a melodramatic fashion. "Why is it that I am never surprised to hear something like that from a guy?"

Sess gently pulled her against his body so that she facing him. "I assure you I am more than able to prove it and would definitely enjoy doing so."

Through the thin layers of clothing Kagome could feel the heat radiating out from him as he brought up his right hand and with his thumb lightly brushed her lower lip. Looking into his blazing amber eyes, Kagome felt like she was melting on the sun's surface. And it was positively wonderful. He slowly leaned in for a kiss, bringing his lips to hers. The magnetism between them was irresistible and Kagome was more than willing to give into it. When their lips did meet, she felt such intense fire race through her veins that she half-expected her clothes to burst into flames. If before she felt as though she were on the surface of the sun, now she felt she was the sun. His every touch sent blazing sensations through her mind of such brilliance that she was blind to everything around her. She had never felt anything so intoxicating or addictive and when it came to an end every nerve of her body cried out in protest demanding more. Wow...he is hot

Kagome's scorched mouth managed a sentence. "Ok I believe you."

Sess was still holding her, which was a good thing for her because her legs might as well have been made of rubber. Kagome leaned her head into his chest as he softly cradled her to him. When I came here I wasn't really planning to do that...but I sure don't regret it. In fact, I think I want some more. A lot more. Sess or Sesshoumaru, I'm not sure which, you've got me wound around your finger and I love curve of it.

"I thought you would." Sess murmured in her ear.

Kagome began to feel unwanted attention from onlookers."I think we should go to the car now. We seem to be attracting a lot of attention."

"They're just jealous, but yes it is time for us to go."

When Kagome returned to her shrine, she was still savoring the taste of Sess in her mouth and relishing the warm glowing feeling filling her. For the first time in a long time she felt contentment in her heart. Stepping into her house she marveled at how good Sess made her feel. Unfortunately for her, that feeling of good cheer left her when she saw her mother's face.

"Kagome, I need to speak with you." Her mother's urgent voice reawakened her to the fact that she could not escape this imperfect world. "Kagome, I was in your room today, getting your laundry and I found this." A shining set of black prayer beads appeared in her mother's hand. Kagome stood mute in shock as suppressed memories surged forward in her mind like waves crashing against the shore, washing away her mental guards.

"I don't even know what to think Kagome. You said it was over, that I wouldn't have to risk losing my daughter 500 years in the past. Do you still love him? Is he coming back?"

Kagome didn't answer for a long moment. Staring into the obsidian depths of those beads, she felt like reality was collapsing around her. Perhaps those beads acted like miniature black holes and swallowed into oblivion the life she been trying to rebuild. At last she said with grim finality "No, he isn't coming back. He's died for his first love and I stopped loving him some time ago."

Taking the beads from her mother, she placed them in the only place she thought was appropriate. Her bow and arrows had been hung on the wall as a trophy and a reminder that the past was over and that she could move on with her life. Placing them out of sight within the quiver she did her best to ignore the feeling that someone was begging her not to.

"Just leave me alone." She whispered.