- Text Size +

Dreams are peculiar things, discordant images linked together by broken logic in a mental mosaic that is usually forgotten by its painter upon waking. The ancient Greeks believed that sleep was the brother of death. Perhaps that is why so many people claim to have been contacted by the dead while dreaming. Perhaps some kind of mental doorway is opened during that nocturnal time in which a powerful will can cross into a psyche to communicate. Whatever the case, in the pitch black of Kagome Higurashi's room, she saw quite clearly the one she desperately wished would stop haunting her.

Inuyasha's eyes held a strange mixture of anger and longing in them as he held her hands under the God tree. "Kagome, don't do it, don't bring him back. You don't know what your meddling with; Sesshoumaru's soul is trying to enter the land of the living and you are providing him the key to doing so."

Although it was just a dream, Kagome felt the old fire light within her as Inuyasha dared to give her orders. Knocking his hands away and she let him have it. "Listen you, Sess loves me and nothing will change that. We're going to the past to face the truth. Just because you decided that you don't deserve happiness doesn't mean that the rest of us don't. Or are you just jealous that there is another man in my life?"

Inuyasha scowled at her "Jealous? Damn it Kagome, I know it's hard but try not to be a fool. Do you really think it's a good idea to take up with him?"

Kagome felt like slapping him but put on a mock expression of thoughtfulness instead. "Well gosh, as I recall you decided to join with someone who wanted you to suffer for all eternity. As far as wise choices go, who are you to talk? Not only that but at least Sess knows the meaning of the word faithful and can give himself over to me."

Inuyasha, stared at her silently for a moment, the deepest look of sorrow and regret filling his golden eyes. For a moment she considered apologizing, but then world began melting around her. The mighty God Tree rippled like water, the Sun leaked down from the sky, and a sense of falling engulfed her. All around her, the dream swirled and the colors faded into black. Inuyasha's voice, so full of hurt, whispered to her "I've tried to be reasonable about this, but if you won't stop him on your side then I will just have to stop him on mine. And for what its worth, I never wanted to hurt you and knowing that I have is far more painful to me than anything Kikyou can do."

As Kagome felt the waking world rushing toward her, she called out to Inuyasha one last time "If you never wanted to hurt me, then why do you insist doing so now?"

****

In a nearby area of Tokyo, the night's lights pierced through the blinds of Sess's apartment and fell on the rhythmic rising and falling of said occupant's chest. Perhaps those strands of light, seeping into his room managed to also make their presence felt in his dreams. For if one were to enter into his dreams they would find them almost surreal. The gentle rays of the sun shone down on Sesshoumaru as he sat in a café, sipping a moca latte while pedestrians walked by. That fact that he was dressed in feudal era attire and was armed didn't seem to bother anyone.

"You have no idea just how frustrating it is to only be able to communicate with you in dreams." Sesshoumaru commented as he placed his beverage down on the table.

Sitting opposite him and dressed as an angel, Sess frowned picked up a packet of sweetner for his own beverage. "I would think that missing the left arm would be more aggravating than anything else. Thank God I was born with mine. I suppose we're here because you have something to tell me about my future trip to the past."

" 'Future trip to the past' such a clever wordsmith you are. Such a shame you decided to waste it all in being a lawyer. And yes while I was alive the loss of my left arm was something of a bother. On the subject of your trip to the past, I've certainly waited long enough."

"Being a Lawyer is not a waste, and why have you been so eager for me to step back in time? You'll still be dead."

" 'What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea? A good start.' Lurking in your mind, I can see that such jokes are common and that lawyers have a dubious place in your society. And as for me remaining dead, there you are mistaken. You are my reincarnation; and possess part of my soul. You will aid me in living once more."

Sess stared into his counterparts contemptuous eyes "If you think that I am just going to cease to exist just so you can exist once more, you had best think again. I'm not going to give away my life for something I never knew about."

"You cannot escape the future."

"Kagome is my future and I'm not trying to escape her."

Whatever else Sesshoumaru might have said was drowned out as an alarm clock went off. "Grip" by Every Little Thing dragged Sess into the land of the waking with its thrumming lyrics. Listening to the band, Sess felt a smile form on his face as he realized that in this dream he had managed to get the last word. He knew instantly how irritating that would be to Sesshoumaru, being the haughty youkai lord that he was, he probably always expected to have the final say on everything. Knowing that he didn't, must have left him fuming in whatever metaphysical realm he occupied. For a moment Sess wondered about whether he should feel pleased about frustrating himself, but then he decided not to let his mind obsess over the implications that would have. Besides its Friday, tomorrow I'm actually going back in time. Which means after classes I need to go shopping with Kagome to get proper equipment.

The day itself was tedious to Sess, he listened with only half an ear to all his lectures which seemed impossibly long and almost completely irrelevant to the real world. The rules of law and the strategies of the courtroom, just could not hold his attention as it drifted constantly to Kagome and the fantastic sights she could show him. The fact that he was going to face the truth about himself no longer seemed as frightening as it once had. In fact, the prospect engendered within in him the same sort of feeling he had when he was preparing to return home.

Let the future bring what it may, it can never separate me from Kagome.

When his last class ended, Sess didn't even have to think as his body carried him to his car, started the ignition, and drove him to the outdoor outlet Kagome had told him about. Only when he entered the store and saw Kagome waiting for him did his autopilot shut off and his mind stop its wanderings.

"Well tomorrow's the big day."

Kagome's brow furrowed "You're more eager to do this than I would have expected. I thought you were...nervous"

Although no one else in the store would believe the truth if they heard it, Sess understood Kagome's need to be discrete with respect to their plans.

"Oh I am, very much so. However, I'm also filled with a certain sense of anticipation. I suppose we both have felt something similar right before we took a big test. Its that do or die moment when adrenaline starts pumping through your veins and you feel the need to make all that worrying and waiting worth it."

Kagome's expression softened as he gently took her hand and led her to the sleeping bags. "So what do you suggest would be good for me?"

"Well you know they do have places to sleep and all but you might enjoy the creature comforts from here a bit more. There are really only 2 types of sleeping bags: the mummy style and the rectangular style. The mummy style weighs less, is smaller so it requires less energy to stay warm at night, and has a hood you can pull tight around yourself. The rectangular kind provides more room, can be joined with another rectangular one to make a double sleeping bag, and can be unzipped fully to just make a blanket."

As Kagome went on describing the various benefits of different types of gear, Sess was awestruck by her incredible knowledge of the equipment and just how much she must know about roughing it. Although he didn't generally consider himself as having led a sheltered life, from her discourse she made him feel as though he had never stepped foot outdoors. I think my ego is hurting...

When they had finally gone through every relevant item, and Sess began to tick off mentally what he wanted. Rectangular sleeping bag(to join with Kagome's)...Backpack...Lantern...Kagome's got the first aid kit covered along with the cooking supplies...knife...water treatment stuff...towels...some boots...can't forget the ground pad...walking stick might be good...water carrier..thank god for insect repellant...Deck of cards might be good also...Jeez this is going to hurt my budget, gonna have to give some plasma or something and get some money...

"You're the one who wanted to go back." Kagome broke into his thoughts. Apparently his eyes gave away more than he wanted.

"Well you know, it's a necessary thing. Besides," Sess put on his most charming expression while preparing to test Kagome's possessive instinct "I'm sure I can get the money back. I can enter an amateur strip competition..."

"Over my dead. I'm the only one you're going to..." strip for would have been Kagome's next words except she realized with a blush that they were not alone and she certainly did not want to blurt that out inside the store.

"I'm the only one you're going to...what exactly Kagome? Please tell me." Sess said in an amazingly innocent voice with an equally innocent smile.

Kagome blushed harder thinking just how far this relationship had gone in such a short time. "Uhh...Let's get to the check out."

Sess was perfectly aware of what Kagome was about to say and was most pleased with the knowledge that she wanted him so much."Well if you insist, but I still want to know how the rest of that sentence goes. Have I told you that I used to be a gymnast? Remind me to show you sometime the fluid grace with which I can move."

Kagome blushed red as a rose and couldn't speak as he lovingly caressed her hair. His silent fingers spoke volumes as he twined them in her tresses. Kagome felt as though time had come to a halt inside the store as the desire Sess felt wound about her, securing her in his heart.

"NEXT CUSTOMER!"

"Damn, "Sess whispered. "Talk about ruining a moment."

When they finally did leave the store, Sess was quietly muttering about price gouging and launching lawsuits while Kagome tried to imagine what a closer level of intimacy would be like. They had yet to explore each other's body that way, but she knew it was coming. That moment in the store awakened her to the fact that Sess had every intention of taking it to the next level. The depths of his desire for her were so profound he could express it in something as simple as a light touch. He wanted her, and only her, and would ask her to marry him. She was certain of it. Kagome felt frightened and at the same time elated. Having been rejected for Kikyou she knew her heart had a terrible wound inflicted on it and she was afraid to love any man again. But somehow Sess had done the impossible, he had convinced her trust in him and to love again. The thought of giving him up made her heart clench in agony. She looked at him out of the corner of her eye, loving the way his hair ruffled in the wind. When this is over, we will see just how fluid and flexible he really is.

Saturday morning arrived, and Kagome's family knew what she was going to do. Her backpack was filled, she had spent last night freezing various food, restringing her bow and examining her arrows. She were jeans, hiking boots, and had a look of determination in her eyes.

"So your going back? Why?" Souta sked even though he knew the answer.

"That's right, because I have unfinished business."

"Does it involve Sesshoumaru?" Souta asked eyeing Sess as he emerged from his Mazda. He too was similarly attired and strode with purpose towards the door.

Kagome knew her brother was putting it all together and she didn't really want to have to listen to his objections. Grandpa had already tried to get her mother to intervene to stop her after failing himself, but Mrs. Higurashi had refused saying that Kagome had come of age earlier than anyone else in the house and that she could most certainly decide for herself.

Kagome looked down into her little brother's worried eyes. "It involves coming to terms with the past, something I've long put off and something that Sess needs to face."

"Kagome..." Her little brother didn't need to say anything more. The worry in his eyes had graduated to fear as he tried to think of a way to keep his sister safe.

"Souta, one aspect of growing up is confronting pain. That is how our childhood is stripped away from us as pain peels away our naivete and confronts us with the real world."

"Where did the sister I grew up with go? That one that would never say such a thing." Souta asked as tears filled his vision.

Kagome took a moment to respond. "I think she died along with Inuyasha. I'll be back tomorrow I think."

Turning around and she opened the door just as Sess was reaching out to ring the doorbell. "Well Sess let's get going."

Leading Sess around to the well she told him how it became known as the bone eaters well. "For quite sometime people used this well as a way of disposing of youkai remains. They seemed to just vanish within in the belly of the well so people began to call it the bone eaters well. Of course they were actually being sucked out of time and into God knows where." Pulling open the door to the well she continued "I've often wondered where their remains are going. Another dimension perhaps? Is this spot some kind of weak point in space and time?"

"Wow, you really know how to inspire confidence in a guy Kagome 'will we get sucked into another dimension with who knows what in it?' I am defiantly being reassured. Absolutely no worries here." Sess said as he approached the lip of the well. "By the way didn't you say something about needing the Shikon no Tama to go back and forth between times? Where is it?"

Kagome who had shut the door to the well close behind them started over to Sess. "When the jewel was reassembled and purified it was absorbed once more into my body so as long as you hold onto me you'll be fine."

"And if I should happen to let go?" Sess asked while looking into the well.

"I don't know but I wouldn't suggest trying it."

"Do I need to hold my breath or anything?"

Smiling Kagome assured him that he did not as she stood on the lip of the well motioning him up. Taking her hand as he stepped up onto the lip he felt his muscles tense as they unconsciously resisted falling into the well.

Without saying a word, Kagome tightened her grip on him and jumped in pulling Sess with her. To his shame, Sess couldn't stifle the fearful gasp that escaped his lips as he plunged into the darkness of the well. His fear was quickly changed to surprise as blue-purple light lit up around him. Well that was unexpected Sess thought to himself while a sensation of flying overcame him. I'll bet that this could make a great ride for a theme park.

The magical light surrounding them as they stepped back in time faded and he was once more in the well. Looking up he saw a clear sky overhead instead of the wooden rafters from before. "Wow time travel is both more and less than what I expected."

"Believe me," Kagome said "I know what you mean. Now as much as I like being close to you, I think we should leave the well and not hang out at its bottom. I'll go up first with my bow and arrow. If I say its safe you start bringing out the stuff."

"Hmm...I suppose acting as a pack mule is fair trade for the time travel."

"Its not like that; I just need to stand guard while you bring up the stuff. The last thing we need is to be caught off guard by something lurking nearby. I've been here before and I know how suddenly an attack can come."

Sess was somewhat hurt that she didn't trust him to protect her but intellectually he knew she had been here before and had a greater understanding of the situation and all its threats than he did. Watching her climb up, a naughty inspiration hit him. "Alright, but I'm going to use this opportunity to take a few photos of your backside with my camera. After all I don't want to miss such a great photo shot."

Kagome stopped midway up, and looked down at him. The sun shone down on the back of her head so he couldn't see her face very well as it was hidden from the sun's rays but he thought he glimpsed a smile. "I have plenty of other features besides a killer ass that you should think of."

Sess felt his hear skip a beat upon hearing her words. As she resumed her climb upward he felt blood follow a southward migration and pool around his middle.

Heh...The expression on his face...I should have had a camera for that.

As Kagome entered the clearing around the well, she prepared her bow while noting that a strong breeze was blowing toward Kaede's village. If Shippou or Kirara are there they should pick up on my scent fairly soon.