- Text Size +

It was another day and Kirara was phenomenally bored. Not that it was unusual. Since the day the woman they called Kagome had left, life had been fairly dull. Sure there had been youkai her master had slain with her help but the sense of greater purpose was lost. No longer were they fighting some all embracing threat to the their world. Now it was just run of the mill petty evil and every now and again something actually challenging. She didn't really begrudge the humans the aid she gave them, and she was happy that her master was finally married and her brother was no longer trying to commit suicide, but still she felt that life was missing something. Lying in her master's lap, she idly flipped her tail back and forth just for something to do. As the breeze swept through her pelt, she picked up a familiar scent. One that filled her with disbelief. Jumping off her master's lap she looked over at the one they called Shippou. His head was lifted skyward and his nose was unmistakably testing the air. Their eyes met as perfect understanding passed between them.

"KAAGGOOMEE!" Shippou cried out as he raced away from them. Fire blazed around Kirara as she transformed and followed the child toward the origin of the scent. A second scent caught her attention, but she disregarded it because it must have been some sort of mistake.

"Well Sango, life is just full of surprises isn't it?" Miroku inquired while examining his soiled robes. That kit had startled him enough that he spilled his tea on his lap. Thankfully it was no longer hot enough to scald his skin.

"Don't just sit there like a fool, monk, get a move on already." Sango said while rising for her feet and reaching out for her favorite weapon.

"I would advise you against getting your hopes up. We don't know that this isn't a trick." Miroku said while grabbing his own staff.

"Too late my hope are up. Now lets go."

Sess had been patiently lugging up the bags but leaving the sleeping bags at the bottom for now. If he were to fall back he wanted to try and have something soft to land on. Once he had gotten the heavier stuff he would retrieve the rolls. As he finished with all the items and began to tie the rolls to the back packs, he became aware of a keening sound. Looking over to Kagome, he detected an uncertain smile forming on her lips. Before he could open his mouth to ask anything, an orange blur shot forward and bounced into Kagome's chest. As Sess stood staring at Kagome, he realized that he was having his first contact with a legendary creature. The thing in her arms resembled a child to some extent. It was about the right size and was squealing in delight as he would expect a human child to do. But it had what appeared to be ears on the top of its head, along with hands and feet that bore a close resemblance to paws. Last of all, it possessed of all things a fluffy tail which oddly enough provoked a sense of jealousy in him. Before he could examine that feeling further, he felt hot breathing on his neck and turned to see what it was.

Kirara was most perplexed. She knew this person to be dead. His grave was located nearby to the village and that toad-like creature and the little girl performed constant homage to him; never allowing his grave to have a hint of inattention. She wondered if perhaps her senses could somehow be mistaken. Bringing herself to a hovering position right behind him, she began to inhale his scent. She saw his muscles tense as he realized something was behind him. If Kirara could have laughed or even smiled she would have upon seeing his reaction. The most she could do though was to chuff as he fell backward gaping at her with shock evident in his eyes.

"Kagome...could I have some help," Sess called weakly. Kagome saw Sess's predicament as what must appear to him as a flaming sabertooth stared him down.

"Kirara, stop scaring Sess. You're going to put him an in early grave." Shippo, while still snuggled firmly into Kagome's embrace, took his first good look at her companion and then tightened his hold on Kagome.

"Kagome..." Shippou began as he tried to make sense of what his eyes told him. He KNEW Sesshoumaru was dead, he had seen them bring back the body, he had seen them dig the grave, he had seen the earth swallow up the lifeless body entombing it forever. Yet here he was somehow, with Kagome, dressed in that future style of clothing. "...How?"

Kagome followed Shippou's gaze and tried to think of an appropriate explanation. "I'll tell you after I rescue Sess from Kirara." Striding over to the fire cat(with Shippou clinging to her shoulder, he still refused to relinquish his hold), she hauled her wide eyed boyfriend to his feet and then turned toward Kirara. "I know what your thinking Kirara, it's the same thing Shippou was asking about. Well as soon as we get back to the village I'll tell you what I know."

"That's disappointing," an amused Miroku commented as he stepped into the clearing with Sango. "I was rather hoping to hear an explanation earlier, although truthfully I have a pretty good guess."

Sango broke away from Miroku and ran toward Kagome, hugging her fiercely when she got there. "Its about time you returned. We've been missing you so much the last few months. We were beginning to wonder if you ever would come back." Sango glanced at Kagome's companion. She too was more than a little unnerved that a dead youkai was in their midst but wasn't sure how to react. After all, Kagome didn't seem at all threatened. "Did you say his name was Sess?"

"I know, I know it's a long story, let's get to the village and I'll tell you there."

****

Jaken was in a fairly good mood. Although he would never see his master again, Jaken was certain that if Sesshoumaru was to see how Rin had been cared for since he departed from this world, he would be pleased.

-Flash Back-

As soon as news of his Lord's death reached him, Jaken knew what had to be done. He scoured the castle destroying any secret materials that Sesshoumaru would not have wanted to fall into his rivals' hands. Any that Jaken couldn't destroy because they were to valuable or because he lacked the means, he packed away so that Ah-Un could carry them. The time pressure on Jaken had been immense, he knew that the other Lords would soon put aside whatever business they had and then attend to the Western Lands. The blood letting would begin and Jaken had absolutely no intention of being around for that. When Ah-Un finally had arrived with a distraught Rin on its back, the minor spirits that Jaken conjured up began loading Ah-Un with the bags.

"Rin," Jaken started as he looked up at the crying human whom he had somehow grown attached to. "Lord Sesshoumaru was strong and wise and right now we have to be like him. The other Lords will know of our master's death soon enough and then they will come here. So we have to bear pain as our master would have while he was alive. He would not have let his pain deter him from doing what needed to be done. And we need to leave this place quickly. I've packed everything important and I've destroyed the rest so that nothing will be left for Lord Sesshoumaru's enemies. Now please stop your crying and lets go."

A silent but trembling Rin climbed onto Ah-Un and offered a hand to help Jaken up. "Where will we go?"

"I'm not sure Rin, but we certainly can't stay here."

"I think we should go to Kagome's village. Her friends said that they would" Rin' voice faltered for a moment "give a proper burial to Lord Sesshoumaru. I think we should go to their village."

Ah-Un lifted from the ground and awaited directions. Jaken wasn't sure if they could expect much sympathy from that Kagome woman or her friends, but at this point it was the best choice available.

-End Flashback-

It had taken some negotiating but Jaken and Rin had joined the village shortly after Kagome had left. On approach to that village, Jaken felt the reigns of Ah-Un go taunt as the beast swivelled both its heads to peer in the general direction of Inuyasha's forest. The youkai line that Jaken belonged to were not known to have particularly powerful senses, but he knew that he could trust the senses of Ah-Un. The dragon's eyesight in particular was quite sharp and right now whatever was held within it compelled the dragon to put on a burst of speed toward the village.

****

Exiting the forest and entering the village Kagome was struck by how things had changed since she left. The huts she was prepared to see had been replaced by more elaborate houses, which while not ostentatious, spoke of an increased wealth within the village. The farming equipment she could see also looked relatively new, as opposed to the battered and rusty equipment she remembered. She was about to ask what had happened but Miroku spoke first.

"Looks like Jaken is returning," he said calmly while looking to a black speck in the sky.

Kagome gaped at him, he said it so calmly it might as well have been an everyday occurrence. The idea of that toad creature being welcomed here made her stomach queasy.

"Jaken? Here? Why?" she asked in bewilderment

"When Sesshoumaru died, Jaken knew he couldn't possibly protect the western lands against the Sesshoumaru's many enemies so he sought refuge here with Sesshoumaru's ward Rin." Miroku paused a moment while letting this sink in. "Believe me, I was not pleased at the prospect either but Rin needed a home and Jaken despite all his griping isn't as bad as one would think. Plus he has excellent organizational skills which have helped this village to prosper some as I'm sure you've noticed. With the help of Ah-Un he can move goods and transfer information quite quickly. When you add that to the revenue brought in by youkai exterminating it is quite decent."

Kagome was dazed by Miroku's explanation and barely noticed when they stopped in front of one dwelling in particular. As Miroku led her in, Kagome had images of Jaken as a desk-jockey but couldn't quite come to grips with that notion.

Kagome's mind was snapped back to reality as the red and white clad Kaeda turned around to greet her guests. As her one good eye took in Kagome, a mixture of relief and sadness filled it. "Kagome, why did ye take such a long time to return. Thine absence has been much too long."

Kaede's words, while gentle, sent waves of guilt washing over Kagome. She really should have come sooner, instead of making her friends pine after her while she was gone. Shippou in particular, young as he was, must have been devastated to hear about her departure. Especially since she hadn't said goodbye to him, she thought it would have been too painful. But he had deserved closure and not abandonment, she had just been too selfish to think of anyone else.

Kagome took the kitsune into her arms and snuggled him into her chest. "You can all be sure that I won't try to hide in my world again."

Sess, who wasn't quite sure what they were talking about but felt certain it had something to do with a painful farewell decided to say nothing. He did however look enviously at the one they called Shippou, wishing that their places could be switched.

Kaede broke the silence first as she finally noticed Sess and felt a tremor run threw her. "I think some introductions are in order."

"Oh yes," Kagome grinned sheepishly. "This is Sess Ryusaki he's a student like I am. We met a few months ago-"

Before she could speak another word though, a dragon head pushed in through the door, while another slipped in through an open window. Sess, never having seen such a creature, nearly had a heart attack as he leaped back away form the door. The glittering black eyes of the creature were peering at him intently, almost questioningly. Sess stared back into those obsidian orbs, lost in their depths. Dark shapes in his mind began to move, outlines of things he felt he should know but could not comprehend.

Like shadows against a shoji screen, Sess could almost see memories but they were frustratingly hidden behind the borders of his subconscious. In the next moment his already frayed nerves were jolted once again as he heard a familiar voice. One that was grouchy and at the same time obsequious.

"Move you stubborn beast, let me in." A short, green, creature with bulbous yellow eyes and carrying a staff squeezed past the scaly hide of the dragon and then stopped short and stared at Sess. Instantly Sess knew that this green creature, the same one from his dreams, was Jaken.

"Master, can it really be you?" Jaken's voice was disbelieving. Sess couldn't control what came out of his mouth next.

"Where is the other, the little girl?" A nervous look appeared on the retainer's face. "She will be summoned at once."

And with that, the Jaken scampered off.

"Sess...?" Kagome asked.

"I've seen him in one of my dreams and usually there was a little girl also." Sess answered with no clear emotion evident in his voice.

"So you are him." Sango stated in a matter of fact tone of voice. No matter how he had come into existence again she was certain she was looking at Sesshoumaru.

Sess didn't need an explanation for that one. "I'm not sure actually, I'm just looking for the truth. Can we step outside again? I think we might be need more room."

"I guess I better go get Kohaku, this will undoubtedly be an interesting story."

"Kohaku is with Rin, so just follow Jaken." Miroku advised.

Sess decided he needed to get off his feet. Descending to the ground, he sat with his knees raised up allowing his hands to rest on them, and then leaned against the side of Kaede's hut. "You look tired, Sess." Kagome commented as she stepped closer and brought herself down in between Sess's legs. He placed his arms around her as she leaned back into his chest. "I feel like my mind is being stretched to the limit."

"Better enjoy this moment of peace then, it's the calm before the storm. Soon we'll have plenty of questions to answer and in general a lot of commotion around us."

"I was rather hoping this would be like a quiet romantic getaway for the two of us."

"It can still happen, perhaps tomorrow when everyone has calmed down some. I just happen to know of a spring nearby where we can spend some time together."

"Sounds like a plan."

Kagome's friends, even a reluctant Shippou, had allowed Sess and Kagome a modicum of privacy, stepping away just out of earshot. Sess had closed his eyes and started to doze off with Kagome when he heard the sound of running. Turning his head, he felt certain that the running sound was coming closer and that the runner was coming for him.

"Lord Seshoumaru!" He didn't really have any question as to who it was. That voice had floated through his dreams before, always leaving him with a pleasant feeling when he awoke. It was the voice of the child, Rin.

As he expected, when he opened his eyes he saw a little girl running toward him with a gigantic smile on her face. He currently had Kagome in his arms, but he lifted one and wrapped it around Rin as she pressed herself against his side.

Kagome looked at the child in Sess's embrace and then at the assembled group, everyone looked at them expectantly. "Well I guess now is as good a time as any for explanations. I'm not quite sure though you will be satisfied by what we know."

"We'll take what we can get." Sango answered they all began to seat themselves. Sango, the untransformed Kirara, Miroku, and Kohaku, all sat together while Ah-Un rested his massive bulkbehind them providing a surface against which they could lean. Jaken perched on Ah-Un's back, with a look of uncertainty on his face. The loyal retainer had been trying to decide whether or not he owed obedience to...this new Sesshoumaru. Shippou reappeared and made himself comfortable with Kagome while Kaede stood to the side waiting.

"I don't really know where this begins exactly." Kagome said. "But as most of you know, after defeating Naraku I returned home trying to find peace. It was there that I ran into Sess. He met me in the law building and we were drawn to each other somehow, shocking though it might sound. I know what most of you are thinking, 'OK now explain why he looks so much like Sesshoumaru.' Well I don't have the answer but maybe Sess can explain this part better."

"Trying to make me do all the hard work huh? Alright it is my story anyway I suppose." Sess paused for a moment, trying to think of how best to proceed. "For the longest time, I've had dreams about the feudal era. They were so real I could smell the burning fires and feel the wind on my cheeks. In them I would see incredible creatures that in the waking world didn't exist. In these dreams though there were certain recurring images most often it was you-" Sess pointed to Jaken, "and her." Sess looked down at Rin. "I wasn't sure what to make of these dreams until I met Kagome. Shortly after I met her, my dreams changed. Now I often see the one called Sesshoumaru. He told me that I am his reincarnation and that Kagome could give me the answers I needed. So...to make this story short...she told me her story about traveling through time and then she helped me to come here so I can..."Sess faltered

"Know yourself?" Miroku suggested helpfully.

"That's as good away as any to put it."

Jaken meanwhile was quietly thinking over all that had been said while the others peppered "Sess" with questions. If he truly is Sesshoumaru's reincarnation then the Tensaiga will call to him. Since he is now the only living son of the mighty Inutaisho even the Tessaiga might now acknowledge him as its master. So for now I will have to wait and watch.

It was nightfall before everyone had all their questions satisfied, or at least were just too tired of talking to ask anymore. Sess and Kagome both were a little horse from all their talking and Rin in particular had asked the most questions almost all of them concerning the future and what it was like. Sess had managed to distract her with Tetris on the Gameboy and she was now in front of the fire light taking turns with Shippou in playing it. Miroku had silently resolved to have a crack at the game later but left with Sango to return to their own hut for now. Jaken was no where to be seen, but Sess was not overly concerned with him. Right now he just wanted some privacy with Kagome. They had joined their sleeping bags together in a guest hut for the night and were preparing to go to turn in. Sess had pulled on some drawstring pants and an undershirt mirroring pretty closely Kagome's choice of night clothes.

"I'm surprised Shippou isn't in here right now trying to get into your sleeping bag. That kid is like a magnet."

"I can't believe you brought Tetris back with you. Did you think it might get boring? It is the warring states period, you know."

"Hey its thanks to Tetris we finally have some peace. Those kids were going to talk our heads off; so let us now give thanks to the great Nintendo and its addictive games for occupying them."

"Whatever," Kagome said as she grabbed Sess's hand and pulled him to their conjoined sleeping bags. "You know it can get pretty cold here, especially at this time of year. We will have to keep each other warm."

Sess smiled as he lay and pulled the covers over them, but his stomach was knotting with nervousness. He had been close with Kagome before, and he certainly enjoyed it, but he was unsure just how far to take it with Kagome tonight. At a certain point he wouldn't be able to step back and the last thing he wanted was to give Kagome any reason to regret choosing him. Laying flat on his back, with Kagome next to him and the moon light caressing them both , he was frozen in indecision.

For a few awkward moments, they just lay there, next to one another but not touching. Mere inches separated them, but it might have been a world away. In some unspoken message they both turned to face each other at the exact same moment. Each could see the other's desire, but trepidation held them back. Shaking slightly, Sess reached out tentatively and with a feather light touch traced her lower lip. She smiled and her eyes sparkled with moonlight and contentment. Reaching up, she brushed away his soft bangs to reveal his golden eyes. Letting go of the breath he hadn't known he was holding, Sess pulled her to his body hoping she wouldn't protest. Kagome sighed happily and moved closer while her hand went from his hair to his handsome face, exploring its perfect lines as if to memorize with her fingers every bend and groove, lovingly gliding over the silken skin like a soft wind. Catching her hand in his, Sess gently licked her fingertips, then continued with his tongue to taste her palm and her wrist, causing a shudder of pleasure to ripple through Kagome's body. Feeling her tremor, he brought his mouth back to hers and kissed her deeply.

Such a simple thing a kiss, yet the power of that deep expression is something that can never be adequately described with mere words, no matter how elegant they might be. When his lips met hers, Kagome felt a connection between them so profound it was almost painful. She knew of the terrible longing, the desolate loneliness that had consumed his heart until he had met her. She alone had been able to fill that black void with her soft touch, her alluring smile, that gentle light from her eyes that he would give anything to see. In that moment of total surrender, of complete defenselessness, her own soul was bared to him willingly. He could sense her own gnawing insecurities. The hidden fear that she was unworthy to receive anyone's love, that she was somehow inferior to other women and incapable of having someone's heart belong to her alone. He longed to soothe her insecurities, tell her, show her that his heart was given completely to her, that he couldn't bear to lose her. Ever. They became lost in time and in each other, only when their lungs pounded in their chest, did they break their embrace, and then only reluctantly. Exhausted, they stared into each other's eyes perfect understanding between them.

Sleep had claimed them soon after that.