- Text Size +

Chapter 3: Feudal Japan 101

 

            It was late in the evening, and Lady Kaede was just getting ready to get some sleep. Her day had been spent ridding the village of some lesser, pesky demons and creatures. Fortunately, Inuyasha, Miroku, and Sango were around to help. Demon activity had been increasing lately with no explanation as to why. Just as she was going to blow out the lanterns, one of the villagers rushed into her hut.

 

            "Lady Kaede! Something is happening near the well!"

 

            Kaede maintained a calm and collective behavior as she turned to address. "Is it another Demon?"

            "No my Lady! A bright light has shone several times!

            "Strange...could it be Kagome?"

 

            She follows the villager outside, and is promptly greeted by Inuyasha, as he lands next to her after a great leap. Miroku and Sango are right behind him, running up the hill. Sango is in her full armor, with the Hiraikotsu in hand, held behind her back. Just behind them was Kirara, with Shippo riding on her back.

 

            "What's the trouble? Another Demon?" Inuyasha asks, looking rather irritated.

 

            The light had been bright enough to wake him from his sleep, since he'd been sleeping up in a tree. After all the Demons they had rid the village of that day, he wanted to be able to hear anymore coming.

 

            "I do not know Inuyasha. Ye need to go ahead. It may be Kagome returning."

            "Mmmmm-I doubt it. She said she had that guy coming from another country." The Half-Demon sneered a little at the thought.

            "Is everything ok Lady Kaede?" Miroku asks as they approach.

            "We shall see. The villagers are concerned about this strange light."

            "Don't worry, we'll check it out." Sango says.

            "I shall come along." Lady Kaede says as she approaches Kirara.

            "Oh no you don't old woman! We don't need you slowing us down!" Inuyasha barks.

            "This is my village to protect. I will do as I please."

 

            Inuyasha grumbles a little to himself, knowing he isn't going to change her mind. They all leave the villagers behind as they head up the next hill. The well wasn't too far away, but far enough so that the villagers felt safe. Inuyasha was picking up a scent coming from the well, one he couldn't recognize. All he wanted was to end this quickly, and shut his eyes for the night.

 

            Kagome was frantically grabbing things for her backpack. Normally she was careful with how she packed everything, but the situation was too urgent. With all the racket she had been making, her little brother had woken up.

 

            "Kagome? What are you doing?" He walked into her room rubbing his eyes.

            "Brent's gone, I think he fell down into the well!"

            The news sobers Sota up very quickly. "What?! I thought-"

            Kagome interrupts him, too hurried to carry on conversation. "I know I know! I've got to hurry! A bright light came from the well and I guess he went to check it out! There were shoeprints leading straight to it!"

            With her school uniform on, and her backpack ready, she dashes out of her room. Her brother runs down after her, and the both of them run into their mother.

            "Kagome what are you-"

            The teenager rushes right on by and out of the back door. "Sota-will-explain-it-can't-wait-sorry-Mom!"

            As she makes a beeline for the shed, she hears her mother call out to her, after Sota had explained the situation. "Bring him home! Please be careful!"

 

            Both Sota and his mother watch Kagome disappear into the shed. Ms. Higurashi looks on worried, hoping no harm comes to either of them. The two head back inside, since there is nothing they can do now.

 

            Inuyasha and the others had reached the well, and were looking around for signs of anything strange. Shippo stayed with Kirara, who was sniffing around. Miroku and Sango were cautiously looking around, expecting something to jump out at any moment.

 

            "Where was the light coming from?" Shippo said in his squeaky little voice.

            "The villagers said it was coming from this area..." Miroku said.

            "I'm picking up a scent...Wait, it's coming from the well..." Inuyasha says while sniffing the air.

            "Be careful, we don't know what it is." Sango stepped into a battle stance.

 

            Kirara began growling, her fur standing up on her back as Shippo watched. Inuyasha stepped forward, his claws ready to kill. With his eyes having adjusted to the moonlight, he peered into the well. What he saw was not what he expected. Someone was at the bottom of the well, lying face down.

 

            "It's a person! Hey down there! You alive?"

 

            The others rush over and look down into the well for themselves.

 

            "We need to get whoever that is out of there. Inuyasha-" Miroku get interrupted as the Half-Demon leaps down.

            "Yeah I know!"

 

            As quickly as he jumped down into the well, he leaps back out, and sets the person down against the well. It was Brent, and he was still passed out.

 

            "He's human." Inuyasha growls.

            "How did he get down there?" Sango holds her weapon behind her back.

            "Look at how he's dressed. His clothing is different, like Kagome's." Shippo chirps.

            "He certainly looks like a foreigner...Could he be?..." Miroku says.

            "We should take him back to the village and wait until he awakes." Kaede says.

 

            Inuyasha leans down, and picks him up with ease. But before they head back down the hill, a backpack pops out of the well, followed by Kagome. Everyone turns in surprise to see her climbing out.

 

            "Brent? Brent where-OH!" The moment she sees Inuyasha carrying him, she's overcome with immense relief. "Oh thank goodness! You found him! Is he ok?!"

            "Kagome, you know who this is?" Sango asks.

            "Yes! This is the person who I told you was going to be visiting me!"

 

            Everyone starts to look perplexed, their gazes all point toward Brent.

 

            "Then do you wanna explain how he came through the well? We're the only ones who can!" Inuyasha says, getting irritated.

            "I think for now we need to head back to the village. We'll wait for this young man to awaken, and have him tell us what happened." Kaede was already climbing atop Kirara.

            "I really should get him back." Kagome protests.

            "Kagome, we need to find out what is going on. He could wake up at a moment's notice." Miroku insisted .

 

            The teenager knew she was going to be able to change their minds. They all began to head out of the former Forest of Inuyasha, and Kagome followed along with her pack. She was just relieved that Brent was OK. Hopefully he could give some insight as to what happened earlier.

 

            "Hey Kagome, why does this guy smell like he's been in a fire?" Inuyasha asks.

            A small nervous laugh comes from her as she scratches her head. "I'll uh, explain that later. Let's just head back for now."

 

            The following morning, Brent finally stirs inside one of the huts. His eyes slowly open, and one hand reaches up to rub the both of them. Sitting up, he groans a little, and tries to wipe the sleep away.

 

            "Yeesh...What a dream.  What in the-"

 

            When he's fully regained his senses, he looks around, and raises an eyebrow.

 

            "Ooooooook. Where in the world am I? Kagome?"

 

            Looking at the curtain covering the doorway, he can see sunlight. Walking closer the door, he can hear people outside. Right as he reaches it, Kagome pops in and surprises him.

 

            "Brent!"

            "GAH!" Startled, he falls onto his back.

            "Oops! Sorry! Didn't mean to frighten you.

            "Geez, next time give a little warning. I'm too young for a heart attack!" He smiles up at her.

            "How are you feeling?" She lends him a hand to help him up. "What happened last night?"

            "Last night? I swear I thought it was a dream. OK so-", He pauses as Inuyasha and the others enter the hut. "Ummmm, we have company."

 

            Brent takes a good look at the people who had just entered. The one up front had extremely long silver hair, hanging nearly down to his feet. His clothes were red, like his own shirt, and rather baggy. The next looked like he was some religious figure, at least that's what Brent was guessing. He carried a staff and one of hands was wrapped in beads. The third was a woman dressed in a kimono. She didn't seem out of the ordinary, compared to how he saw the Higurashis dressed last night.

 

            "Good, he's finally awake. Can we figure out what's going on now?" Inuyasha asks.

            "Are you all right?" The monk asks.

            "Kagome, what was his name again? Brent?" Sango says.

            Brent just stares, looking confused. "I did not catch a word of that, other than our names."

 

            Kagome comes to the awkward realization that Brent can't speak Japanese, and that was the only language her friends knew. She looked back to see them with the same look as Brent.

 

            "Oh boy not good."

            "Kagome? What language is that? And why are you speaking it?" Sango asks.

            "Uhhh...Guys, I'm sorry but he doesn't speak Japanese!" Kagome changes tongues.

            "Oh you gotta be kidding me!" Groans Inuyasha.

            "What's going on Kagome? And where are we? And who are-does he have DOG ears?" Brent asks rather quickly.

            "Look, I'm not babysitting some half-wit who doesn't know our language!" Inuyasha points at Brent.

            "Why do I feel like I was just insulted?" Brent glares a little at the Half-Demon.

            "GUYS! GUYS!" Kagome shouts in both languages. "Look, for now I can translate, let's just figure things out. Brent, please tell us what happened." She says in the two tongues.

 

            With Inuyasha slightly calmed down, Brent sets to enlighten everyone on last night's events. He tells everyone how he saw the light flash from the well. How, as he went to investigate, he felt something stir inside him with each flash. He would pause every once in a while to let Kagome translate for everyone else.

 

            "Then once I got to the well, everything just went...black. And here we are now." Brent says.

            As Kagome translates the last bit of information, no one in the group looked as if they knew the answer. Miroku and Sango sit there looking pensive, while Inuyasha seems more interested in getting the dirt out from under his claws.

 

            "This is most interesting. Perhaps Lady Kaede can make sense of it?" Miroku ponders as he grips his chin.

            "I can't say I've heard of such a thing happening before." Sango mentions.

            "Whatever. Just take him back home." Inuyasha picks at his claws.

            "There could be some sort of meaning behind this. We need to look into it more." Sango says.

            "I ain't worried about it. It's got nothin' to do with me." The Half-Demon walks out of the hut looking entirely uninterested in the situation.

            "Where's he going?" Brent asks.

            "Don't worry about him. Let's just head back home for now. I'm glad you're all right." Kagome smiles.

            "No damage done. You know, you still haven't told me what's going on here."

            "I'll explain on the way to the dry well." Kagome turns to the others. "I'll be back later, we can discuss things then."

 

            Miroku and Sango simply nod and head out of the hut.

 

"Come on Brent. Follow me."

 

            Upon leaving the hut, it's apparent that they weren't in Tokyo any longer. Getting a good look around showed Brent that everything was rather primitive, compared to the world he was used to. No skyscrapers, no sidewalks, cars, nothing. The village they were in was comprised of small huts, with rocks holding down the roofing. As they walked through the village toward the dry well, Kagome tried to explain to him how they were in Feudal Japan, 500 years in the past. The well acted as a portal between present day and ancient times. Brent was finding it very hard to believe, at first. When he saw the well, it looked the exactly like the one at the Higurashi Shrine. He even noticed the same old tree that sat in their home. Though the circumstances seemed insane, there just was no other alternative to accept.

 

            "This is nuts. There's no way any of this is possible. And yet I look around, and I can picture your shrine being right here." A light bulb springs in his head as he comes to a realization. "Wait a sec, the friends you said you were thinking of meeting, are these the ones you were talking about?"

            "Yeah, there's a reason for it too. But I'll explain that in greater detail. For now, just jump down the well."

            "Excuse me? Jump?" Brent looks at her like she's crazy.

            "Yeah! Don't worry, when you hit the portal, it's like going through water! Only there's no drowning or lack of air, it just catches you gently. Next thing you know, you're on solid ground. Go on!"

            "Alright. I trust you. Let's go home and grab some breakfast." He smiles and leaps over the edge of the well.

 

            Kagome watches him fall and waits for the glow of the portal, before she jumps herself. Instead, she hears a thud, a yelp of pain, and then a groan.

 

            "Brent?!"

            "Owwww...Kagome...I think...the portal...hates me...Ugggghhhh..."

 

            Eventually Brent climbs out of the well, with Kagome helping to pull him up once he nears the top.

 

            "That's so strange...If you came thought it before, why can't you go back?"

            "I don't know. All I know is that is nothing but earth down there." Brent rubs his back while Kagome wipes some dirt off of him.

 

            Off in the distance, hidden in the woods, two strangers were watching Brent and Kagome. They had been drawing closer and closer, eyeing them closely to keep from being seen. They stopped at the tree line, hiding behind some wild shrubbery.

 

            "All those diminutive vermin we released in that village nearby did nothing Brother. That Half-Demon slaughtered all of them. Along with that Monk and Demon-Slayer." The female of the two hissed.

            "Patience Sister. I'm as famished as you. And fortunately, these two humans are alone. They will be easy prey. You will wait here, I shall deal with them. The girl will be mine." The other stranger is a male, with a deep and raspy voice.

            "I wanted the male anyway." The female says as she ducks down.

 

            Meanwhile, Brent and Kagome were discussing what to do next. It was a short discussion, but the only thing to do was to head back to the village. Hopefully Lady Kaede would have some advice that could inspire some ideas. Just as they were leaving the well, Kagome stopped, and suddenly looked worried.

 

            "Something is here!"

            "What are you talking about?"

 

            At that moment, a Demon lurched out in front of them. Kagome squeaked in surprise and bounced back next to her friend. Brent couldn't believe his eyes when he saw what was in front of them.

 

            "What-What the hell is that?!"

 

            Before them, stood a Lizard Demon. He towered over the both of them, covered in thick scales. A long tail stuck out the back of his armor, spikes lined the top of it. His mouth was lined with razor sharp teeth, and were threateningly bared. He resembled  a Kuriowa Ground Gecko, and he looked hungry. Saliva dripped from his fangs as he stared them down.

 

            "I can make your deaths quick, or agonizingly slow. One way or the other, you will be devoured." He started to step forward while the two humans backed up.

 

            "What did he say?"

            "He's going to eat us!"

            "Come on! RUN!"

            Brent grabs her hand, and pulls her out of her gaze upon the massive Demon. The two begin to run in the opposite direction, yet the Lizard seemed unfazed.

 

            "A poor choice, Humans."

 

            The Demon opens his mouth, and his tongue shoots out towards them. The dripping strand of flesh was impossibly stretched, crossing further than fifteen feet, and wrapping around Kagome's foot. A shriek echoes in the forest as Kagome falls to the ground. In turn, Brent hits the ground on his back as he had kept trying to run while holding Kagome's hand.

 

            "BRENT HELP! AHHHHH!"

 

            Kagome was being dragged quickly along the ground, as the Demon retracted his tongue, pulling the poor girl closer to his gaping jaws.

 

            "NO YOU DON'T!"

 

            Brent scrambled up and took a dive at Kagome; his hands met hers and gripped tight. He got to his feet quickly and pulled backward with all his might, grass and dirt kicked up from his struggle, but it was a futile effort. The sweat he put forth only slowed the Demon's progress in dragging his prey closer.

 

            "You both will meet your end here!"

 

            There were only a few feet between Kagome's ankle and the Demon's terrifying maw. She started to scream, and Brent could only think of one thing to do. Letting go of Kagome, he sprinted forward furiously, jumped, and performed a drop kick with all his weight. Brent landed the move right into the Demon's gut, knocking the wind out of him, and freeing Kagome. The giant Lizard forcibly exhaled sharply, and landed on his back a few feet away. As he tried to catch his breath, Brent grabbed Kagome and dashed past the beast.

 

            "RUN FOR IT! GO!!!" He yells.

            "You...little...CRETIN!!!"  The Demon gets back to his feet, clutching his gut. "YOU ARE MINE!!!"  

 

            His tongue fires out again, but with a taste for revenge as it hooks around Brent's ankle this time. Falling face first, he grunts and tries to clasp onto anything he can.

 

            "BRENT NO!"

            "GET OUT OF HERE! RUN DAMN IT! AGH!"

 

            The beast behind them pulls his prey along at the same pace as before. Kagome tries to grab Brent's hand, but she misses. She can see the panicked look on his face as he's dragged toward certain death, and does the only thing she can think of.

 

            "INUYASHAAAAAAAA!!!"

            Off in the distance, back in the village, a set of dog ears flicks on the head of a half-demon. Inuyasha jumps down from his perch on a tree, he immediately becomes alert, certain he'd heard Kagome scream.

 

            "Sango! Miroku! Something's wrong! I just heard Kagome shout!"

            "What?!"Miroku grabs his staff.

            "Kirara! Come!" Sango throws off her kimono, revealing her armor.

            "Shippo you stay here!" Inuyasha barks as he sprints toward the well.

            "Hey, why do I always gotta stay behind! I wanna go! You might need my help!"

 

            Shippo runs off after them, hopping as fast as he can. Kirara transforms into her full size in mid-air, roaring as Sango leaps onto her back. Inuyasha lead the charge as they all quickened their pace.

 

            "You are not the one I wanted, but you will do boy!"

            "NO! STOP! SOMEBODY HELP!" The teenage girl screams.

 

            Kagome tried her best to grab onto Brent, but the Demon would just back up toward the well. As he was dragged, Brent turned onto his back, and at the worst possible moment. His leg was lifted off of the ground, and his ankle grabbed by the Demon. As he was hoisted into the air upside down, Brent spotted a small blade hanging from the Lizard Demon's waist. He wasn't sure what it was for, and was certain he didn't want to know, but he reached for it and seized the grip. The Demon was too hungry to notice, and right as Brent had withdrawn the blade, the Demon turned his head, and bit into Brent's chest. An agonizing scream fills the forest as the entirety of the Lizard's jaws clasp over his prey's upper body. Blood fills the mouth of the large predator and he hums happily, much to Kagome's terror.

 

Never before had Brent experienced such pain. The teeth punctured his body as if it were made of paper. The pressure from the bite squeezed hard enough to the point that he believed his ribs were going to break. Trying to fight through the immense pain, Brent lifts the blade in his hand. With all the strength he can muster, he brings the blade down, and makes his mark. The blade pierces the Lizard Demon's skull and buries itself to the hilt. Immediately, Brent is dropped, and the blood that had filled the Demon's mouth pours out as he stands there dumbfounded. His body quivers as he falls to his knees, staring into the sky with a pained expression.

 

            "You...human...scum...how..." The scaly predator collapses, and stops moving.

 

            It was that moment when Inuyasha and the others arrived.

 

            "What happened?!" Inuyasha barks.

            "We were attacked by that Demon! It bit Brent!"

 

            In the woods nearby, Inuyasha heard some rustling, and what sounded like a sob.

 

            "WHO ELSE IS THERE?!" The half-demon snarls.

            "We'll take care of it! Get them to safety!" Sango shouts as she and Miroku run into the woods.

 

            Brent laid there on the ground unconscious. His shirt was drenched in his blood, slits cut perfectly in the form of the Demon's teeth. The wounds were bleeding profusely and slowly pooling around him.

 

            "Inuyasha we have to get him out of here!"

            "Right...AGH!"

 

            It was when Inuyasha went to pick up Brent, the Lizard Demon sprung up after faking what should have been a deadly blow. He snarled in an enraged bloodlust, as his eyes took on the color of life itself.

 

            "I don't think so! RRRRAAAAAAGH!"

 

            With a single swipe, the half-demon's claws cut clean through the Lizard's head, sending a spray of blood and flesh the opposite direction. The headless corpse collapsed, and the blade that had been embedded was sent into a nearby tree, digging deep into the bark. With the threat finally taken care of, Inuyasha picks up Kagome's savior. She hops onto his back and they hurry as fast as they can to the village. Brent's precious blood soaked Inuyasha's hands, and created a trail of death behind them.