- Text Size +

Birds were chirping their morning song as they soared through the air. The sun shone brightly across the village; its inhabitants were already up and performing their work for the day. As the people worked, shooing away chickens, working crops, and building homes, Brent was still asleep. That is, until Inuyasha prodded him with the sheath of his Tetsaiga.

 

            "Hey. Get up. It's morning."

 

            Brent groans as he rolls onto his back. "Really? Just...five more minutes...please..."

            "Get your lazy butt up. We gotta get moving."

            "I hardly slept last night. So excuse me for not being a bright ray of sunshine."

 

            After the attack from Setsuko the previous night, Brent was understandably restless. Inuyasha had him stay in his room in order to help maintain the feeling of safety. But even after he and the others had come to his aid, and Inuyasha's word to protect him, he still couldn't shake off the anxiousness of his nerves. Plus, he wasn't entirely sure about how he felt with putting trust into the Half-Demon. Sure, Inuyasha had taken the front line and was ready to kill, but how long would that last before he was deemed a burden by him? Brent had also been thinking about Setsuko herself, and everything she had said. This put his mind into overdrive, further complicating his thoughts. Lying there, he reached up to rub the sleep out of his eyes, until Inuyasha shoved him off the mat with his foot.

 

            "DAAAH! I'M UP, I'M UP!" Irritated, Brent stood up and cracked his neck off to the side.

            "Come on. Get your things and change. I'll be outside."

 

            Brent was still in the white robe meant for sleeping. As Inuysasha left the room, Brent walked over to grab his clothes and weapon. Outside, Kagome was just walking down the hall toward their room.

 

            "Inuyasha, how's Brent doing?" She looked worried.

            "Not sure. Says he didn't get much sleep." His gaze switched back to the closed door.

            "I can't blame him. This is all new to him. Two attacks in one day..."

            "I have to ask...How much do you trust him?"

            Kagome gave him an odd look, before she took a strong resolve. "I trust him as much as I trust you. He's been nothing but kind, and risked his life to save me. Don't tell me that you think he's deceitful!"

            "It's not that. There's just something odd about him...I don't know what...I can feel it." Inuyasha turned back to Kagome, his eyes meeting hers.

            "There's something I should tell you. Last night, just before we all were shown our rooms, I sensed the Jewel Shard in his body...it was glowing white, like it was pure. I could see it."

            "What? He can't purify shards can he? I thought only Kikyo had that kind of power." Inuyasha looked off to the side pensively.

            "I don't know what it means, but there's nothing wrong with him. I've known that since we met. So when I say I trust him with my life, which should tell you a lot about him."

            The half-demon simply nodded as the door to the room opened up, and Brent stepped out. His shirt had been cleaned, and the stitching on his shirt was better done than it was previously. The Tanto was reattached to his belt with his shirt tucked behind it; so he could access it with greater ease.

 

            "Good morning Brent!" Kagome said cheerfully.

            "Good morning." Brent smiled back. "Did someone speak to the Lord about the wall?"

            Kagome waved her hands at the question. "Nothing to worry about! Miroku and Sango are explaining things as we speak."

            "Let's get going. Hopefully the old codger will understand." Inuyasha said as he strolled down the corridor.

 

            By the time they had exited the Manor, Miroku and Sango had finished their talk with their host. Kirara and Shippo were waiting patiently off to the side as the others gathered together.

 

            "We've spoken to our gracious host, and fortunately he was very understanding on the matter. Plus he was relieved to know that no one was seriously injured. He'll be increasing the number of guards around his home." Sango said.

 

            Brent breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing the news. He was hoping that the Lord wouldn't be mad. Now he could rest easy.

 

            "Are you doing all right since last night Brent?" Asked Miroku.

            "I'm a little tired, otherwise I'm fine."

            "He says he didn't get much sleep." Inuyasha said.

            "Look, I'm fine, really. I'm awake and ready to go. I just have one thing to ask. Is it a good idea to have Shippo and Kirara come along? I'd hate to see anything happen to them." Brent looked concerned.

            "Hey! I've been with these guys for a long time! I help out as best as I can!" Shippo squeaked in defense of himself.

            "Oh and you haven't seen what Kirara can do! Kirara!" Sango said as she looked down at the demon feline.

 

            Brent watched as the tiny kitten sauntered over and mewled. When she burst into flames, Brent jumped and took a few steps back. As the flames subsided, the tiny kitten had transformed into giant version of herself; complete with massive fangs.

 

            "HOLY HELLCAT!" Brent said looking shocked and slightly afraid.

 

            Kirara tilted her head and whined as she stepped over to the human.

 

            "It's OK Brent. Remember, she likes you!" Kagome said as she chuckled at the look on his face.

 

            When Kirara reached Brent, she nuzzled her head against him lovingly and whined. Brent was skeptical at first, but when he felt how gentle she was, it eased his nerves. Reaching to her head, he rubbed behind her ears, making her smile.

 

            "I don't even know what to say...I'm seeing and experiencing things I didn't think were possible..." Brent sounded slightly anxious as he warmed up to the larger Kirara.

            "See? You have nothing to fear. Everyone here is on your side." Sango had walked up and started stroking Kirara's back.

            "It makes me really happy that those massive fangs will be defending me, instead of...well...you know..." Brent awkwardly smiled as he tried not to think any further on the subject.

            "Can we get going now? We've wasted enough time standing around." Inuyasha said impatiently.

            "Geez Inuyasha, no need to rush. We have a new friend! Take it easy!" Shippo said as he swiftly hopped onto Kirara's back.

            "Where are we headed next?" Brent asked as he walked alongside the large demon feline.

            "Unfortunately, we have no set destination. The best we can do is seek out nearby villages and castles, and ask anyone there if they know anything." Miroku stated.

           

            And so, the diverse group of seven were on the road once again. The sun shined brightly, high in the cloudless blue sky. A crisp, cool morning breeze blew past them, creating the ideal weather to travel. Nothing but countryside, forests, and mountains could be seen for miles. Brent had never seen such a beautiful landscape in his life. Despite the circumstances in which he arrived, it seemed there were things he could still experience and enjoy.

 

            The faction of friends wandered along at a steady pace; not too slow, but also not too quickly. Small talk flowed in and out as their footprints left a trail behind them. Kagome talked about school, and how she was thankful she was given the month off school since Brent was here. They had turned it into a sort of assignment for her, which she would have to right a report on. Kirara had shrunken down to her kitten size, and perched herself on Sango's shoulder. While the others were talking, Brent was lost in thought. Everything from the previous night had come fluttering back into his head. His legs did all the work, while he stared at the ground, losing sense of everything around him. It wasn't until a tap on the shoulder, from Miroku's ornamental staff, brought him back to reality.

 

            "Brent? Is something on your mind?" The Monk asked.

 

            All eyes were on him now, except for Inuyasha's.

 

            "There's...a lot actually. I'm worried..." Brent became solemn as he kept walking along.

            "I told you, I'll protect you! You got nothin' to worry about." Inuyasha said from up front.

            "That's the thing. I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about you guys." Brent said, looking around at them all.

            "Why are you worried about us?" Kirara mewled as Sango asked the question.

            "Brent, we've been through a lot of tough situations. We can handle whatever comes our way." Kagome smiled warmly.

            However, Brent remained unchanged. "You say that you can handle anything that comes your way, but what if you can't? I'm not trying to offend you guys, but you're not invincible. Life throws the unexpected at people all the time, and it can truly screw people up. I know you guys are experienced, and that you stick together. But...If Setsuko is still alive, and she is bound and determined to get me, then what worries me is what she plans to do. I can say with certainty that she isn't as strong as her brother, but she makes up for it by being crafty. She somehow disguised herself as a servant, even changing her hair and eye color, and hiding her fangs! Not to mention how she hid her...what was it...her ‘Demonic Aura'? She's smart, incredibly smart. Brains can be just as dangerous as brawn, and if she was that cunning enough to sneak up that close, it worries the ever-loving hell out of me what she may try to do to you guys to get to me..."

 

            During the middle of Brent's explanation, everyone had stopped, and had their full attention on him. There was a moment of silence when he finished; only the birds seemed to be chatting around them as they soared through the air.

 

            "It seems you've put a lot of thought into this. And unfortunately, it's all true." Miroku's head rested in his hand pensively.

            "Spare me! That puny Lizard Demon is nothin'! One swipe from my Tetsaiga and she's a goner!" The cocky half-demon said as his hand rested on the sheathed sword at his side.

            "See? That's exactly what I'm talking about! You think you're untouchable, yet we have no earthly idea what she is capable of! I don't want to see anyone get hurt because of me!" Brent's concern radiated in his voice.

            "But you didn't kill her brother. Inuyasha did!" Shippo squeaked.

            "And yet she blames me! The only thing she saw was me jamming this blade into his head!" Brent's voice was steadily getting louder as his concern grew.

            "If anything did happen, we wouldn't hold you accountable, that wouldn't be fair." Kagome tried to console him as she stepped forward.

            "I would hold myself accountable! I-"

            "SHUT UP!" Yelled Inuyasha.

            All eyes were on the half-demon now. "I don't care who this Setsuko is, and what she can do. I've faced Demons that were much bigger and tougher than her. Nothing is going to happen to anyone here, not on my watch! So quit your blubbering and let's move!" Inuyasha turned back to the road ahead, and continued forward.

            "Try not to dwell on this too much. It isn't good for the mind." Miroku said as he motioned for Brent to move ahead.

            "That's easier said than done..." Brent frowned.

            "Just keep thinking about home! Who knows? We might be going back tomorrow!" Kagome said, trying to keep spirits high.

 

            Unfortunately, this didn't do much for the worrisome American. His thoughts would not stray from the idea of himself being responsible for any injuries. Brent walked along trying to think of other things, happy thoughts like home, or a nice cushy bed, his friends and family. No matter hard he tried, all his views went right back to the negative, and began to weigh down on him.