- Text Size +

I do not own Inuyasha and Company, no matter how happy it would make me. Rumiko Takahashi does.

This was written for MirKagFic's April challenge, prompt: Ulterior Motive

 

Chapter 2 - You Can Thank Me Later

 

 

"Dude, as much as I like hanging out with you, you've come over every day for two weeks. Something's up, so spill."

 

Miroku looked at his oldest friend while nervously scratching the back of his neck. "I'm hurt, my friend. Can I not want to spend time with you without there being some underlying reason?"

 

"You forget that I know you?" Inuyasha said with a laugh. "There's always something with you. So, what is it? Is the chick that sells the train tokens really that cute?"

 

Miroku smirked. "Yes, actually, she is quite pretty, but that is not the reason for my visits."

 

"I find that hard to believe. If it's not the token chick, then you're after someone on the train, aren't you?"

 

"You know me too well," he said with a laugh.

 

"So, spill then! She must really be something for you to ride the train out of your way every day for two damn weeks!"

 

"She was a beauty," he started, before detailing his first and only meeting with the nameless woman with a seriously heavy purse. "I haven't seen her since, though. She must not take that train regularly. Perhaps it was just not meant to be."

 

-

 

Miroku sighed as he sat on the train heading back home once again. He hadn't been able to forget about the girl on the train two weeks ago; no matter how hard he tried. Even his favorite pastime, feeling up unsuspecting women while holding the door for them, had lost its magic. He didn't know what it was about her, but she was firmly lodged in his thoughts.

 

He had to find a way to see her again, but he didn't even know her name thanks to his inability to stop himself from asking a pretty lady to bear his child. His plan of 'accidently' running into her again on the train was a failure, and he didn't have the faintest idea of what he could try next.

 

-

 

Once Miroku was gone, Inuyasha grabbed his cell phone and dialed. He couldn't believe it. It was just too perfect to be a coincidence. When he heard a sweet feminine voice answer, he stopped thinking and started talking. "Yo, Kaggie! What's up?"

 

"Nothing much, Yash, why?"

 

"I was thinkin'. You wanna go out tomorrow night?"

 

Kagome smiled on her end. "What'd you have in mind?" She sat up from where she had been laying on her bed and grabbed her calendar from her bag.

 

"Dinner, hit a club or two maybe? I haven't seen you in a while."

 

She flipped through her calendar to make sure she didn't have any previous engagements before replying. "Sure, why not? Sounds like fun."

 

They talked for a while longer, working out the details and chatting about nothing at all. When they hung up, Inuyasha had a huge smirk on his face. "One more call to make."

 

-

 

Miroku had been a tad confused when Inuyasha called him and invited him out for a night on the town before he had even made it all the way home. Why his friend hadn't mentioned it while he was there he had no idea, but it didn't matter. He needed to get out and have some fun. Maybe then he could get the girl out of his mind. Maybe he could find a new one to think about. He hadn't been able to make it to dinner first, opting to work late that Friday night so he didn't have to work early Saturday morning. Chances were good he wouldn't be getting much sleep.

 

He checked himself in the mirror before grabbing his wallet and keys and leaving his apartment. He loved clubs. Everyone was crowded together, bumping into each other all the time, so no one even blinked when he allowed his 'cursed' hand to brush across a sexy ass here and there. It was definitely his kind of place. He had a grin on his face as he got in his car and headed to the club Inuyasha had told him to meet him at.

 

-

 

Kagome was sure there was something going on. Inuyasha had been really odd during their dinner, and now he kept looking around like he was expecting someone. He kept checking his watch, too, but when she asked him about it, he brushed it off. After what had to be the twentieth watch-check, she was sure of it. He was up to something. What, she had no idea, but her hanyou friend had always been rather sneaky.

 

"Hey, Kaggie, you mind going to the bar and grabbing us some new drinks?" She rolled her eyes but walked away, and just in time too. He spotted Miroku making his way through the pulsing crowd to their usual meeting place. He knew he had to set this up just right, or he would end up with a pissed off Kagome and a depressed Miroku. He slipped through the throng and grabbed his friend's arm, startling him with his quick appearance. "Hey, pervert, come 'ere," Inuyasha said before pulling his friend a bit away from the table he and Kagome had claimed.

 

"What in the world?" Miroku asked when they finally stopped.

 

"Look, I got a surprise for you, but you gotta stop being a perv for little while. You think you can handle that?"

 

"Inuyasha, I'm offended. I never act in a perverted manner."

 

The hanyou rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right, sure. I went out of my way to set this up, and if she ends up pissed at me I'm gonna blame you, got it?"

 

Miroku's eyes widened. "She? Just what is it you've done?"

 

Inuyasha's ears twitched atop his head as he heard Kagome call out to him. "Okay, she's back. Go... go to our table, and see just how lucky you are to be my friend."

 

He rolled his eyes but figured he would humor his friend. Really, he didn't need help meeting women. Inuyasha should know that! Whoever it was that was supposed to be his surprise... well, he just hoped she was good looking. He didn't want to be stuck all night with some strange girl he didn't even find attractive. Of course, when his eyes landed on her, he was no longer worried about her looks. She was perfect, just as perfect as she had been on the train. Was this his surprise? How did Inuyasha find her?

 

-

 

Kagome turned around, still scanning the crowd for silvery white hair and puppy ears, and froze. It was him, the perv from the train... the cute perv from the train. She smiled softly. She felt rather guilty about hitting him with her purse, and, if she was honest with herself, she had been hoping for a chance to apologize to him. It could very well have been a joke, and she overreacted.

 

When she smiled at him, he almost forgot how to breathe. Inuyasha was right. He needed to keep his hands under control and watch his mouth if he didn't want to screw up this second chance.

 

She watched as the guy from the train made his way closer and caught a flash of white. Suddenly, Inuyasha was standing next to her. "Kagome, I'd like you to meet my friend, Miroku," he said smugly. "Miroku, this is Kagome. And I don't have to warn you she hits... hard."

 

Kagome turned around and glared at her friend. "I knew it! I knew you were up to something!"

 

"You can thank me later," Inuyasha said with a grin before disappearing into the crowd, leaving the two alone.

 

Kagome laughed. "I wonder if he meant you or me."