- Text Size +

8 - The Third Date - Saturday

 

"You," Kagome growled as soon as Inuyasha answered the phone.

 

"Aww, fuck. What'd the perv do? I told the idiot to tone it down."

 

"Inuyasha, I would appreciate it if you stopped thinking that you know what I want in a man. You tried to ruin Miroku!"

 

"Ruin him? How the hell could I ruin him?"

 

"I liked him just the way he was! Because of you and your big mouth, I spent half our date trying to figure out what the hell happened to him. Why would you tell him he needed to change to have a chance with me?!"

 

"Because I thought he did! Come on, 'Gome, think about it. How many times have you whined at me that the guys you go out with are immature? Sure, you haven't gone out recently, but did you change your preferences that much?"

 

Kagome sighed. "I might have said that in the past, but, I don't know. I'm not looking for that right now. I like Miroku because he's fun. He makes me laugh, and his odd compliments make me feel good about myself. Maybe it's a rebound thing."

 

"Don't say that! He likes you, Kagome, a lot! He isn't looking for a short-term thing here. Don't make him the fun guy who carries you over until you find your next serious relationship. He wants to be the long-term guy. Why else would he try to change everything about himself to make you happy?"

 

"I don't want him to change to make me happy, that's what I'm trying to tell you! I like him already. He doesn't need to change."

 

"But if he wants to be your boyfriend in the long run, he'll have to," Inuyasha pointed out.

 

"No! I don't want him to pretend to be someone he's not. I... I like him, too. I don't want him to be a rebound either, but who knows what will happen. What I want to hear from you is that you won't poke your nose into our relationship again, and that you won't ever tell him that he needs to change."

 

"Alright, alright," Inuyasha grumbled.

 

"No, not good enough. Say it."

 

"You're damned annoying, wench. Fine, I won't interfere in your relationship, and I won't suggest the perv keep his hands to himself. But don't blame me when he screws up and things go bad. I was only trying to help. So, the date went well?"

 

"Once I called him on acting weird. Really, the guy looked like he was about to explode, trying to hold in a comment about a monkey we saw jacking off."

 

Inuyasha broke down laughing. He could only imagine how Miroku had looked. "Yeah, I suppose that made it obvious. You seeing him again?"

 

Kagome blushed; glad Inuyasha couldn't see it. "Yeah, tonight. We're going to dinner, and he mentioned maybe dancing after."

 

Inuyasha smiled. "Two days in a row? Not too shabby. You know, this will be your third date," he hinted. "Have any special plans of your own?"

 

"Inuyasha!" Kagome hissed. "Whether I have sex with him or not is not something I want to talk to you about! And he'd better not either. Even thinking about you guys chatting about that..." She shuddered. "It's just creepy."

 

"Hey! I take offense to that! You know guys like to compare notes."

 

"Ewwww. No. Besides, what would you have to contribute? We've never had sex, thank the gods."

 

"Well, maybe he'll want some tips," Inuyasha said arrogantly.

 

"No tips! No advice, no meddling, no fishing for details, nothing! I swear, Inuyasha, if you can't stay out of it, it won't be Miroku that ruins this relationship. It'll be you!"

 

-

 

The evening had gone wonderfully. Kagome couldn't remember having more fun on a date than she had that night.  As he was walking her to her door  she decided she didn't want the night to end. When Miroku leaned down to give her a chaste kiss goodnight, Kagome wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. She poured passion into it, and when they finally pulled apart to breathe, she smiled at him.

 

"Do you want to come inside?" she asked in a seductive tone, clearly relaying what her invitation included.

 

Oh, how he wanted to come inside! Still, a part of him told him that it was too soon, and for once in his life, he decided to listen to that part. "I... I don't think that's a good idea, Kagome."

 

She pulled away from him as if she'd been burned, feeling utterly humiliated. "Oh, okay."

 

"No, let me explain," he started quickly. He could see how upset she was, and the guilt tore at him. "It's just that I really want this relationship to work, and I'm afraid if we jump into bed too quickly, it'll screw things up."

 

Kagome nodded her understanding, though he didn't think she truly believed him. "Alright, well, then I should go in." Before he could stop her, she slipped inside and slammed the door closed. She leaned against it, tears welled up in her eyes. She couldn't believe he turned her down! No one had ever rejected her before, and it hurt more than she could have imagined. She thought for sure he wanted her! She felt it, more than once, as they danced and then during their kiss as well. What was wrong with her that he would turn her down?

 

She headed towards her bedroom, having decided on taking a hot shower. She suddenly felt dirty and wanted to wash the feel of his hands on her body away, hoping the embarrassment of rejection would wash away, too.

 

-

 

Inuyasha growled as he rolled over, slapping his nightstand several times before he successfully located his ringing phone.  "What the fuck do you want?" he snarled, not even looking to see who was calling him.

 

"I screwed up, man," Miroku said sadly.

 

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" the hanyou muttered while rubbing his eyes, trying to clear his vision enough to see his bedside clock.

 

"It's after three. I'm sorry for waking you up, but I need help."

 

"Oh, no. I've been forbidden from giving out any advice. She tore me a new one last night. I'm not looking for another lecture."

 

"Please, Inuyasha. I screwed up big time, and I need someone to talk to, someone to help me figure this out."

 

"Aww, fuck, what did you do now?"

 

"It's actually what I didn't do that is the problem. The date went wonderfully. It was perfect! Then when I kissed her goodnight, she invited me in. I... I told her no."

 

"Wait, wait, wait. Did you just say that you turned down sex?"

 

"I just thought that we should wait, that if we slept together now it would mess things up. I really want this to work with her and thought we should take it slow. But she looked so upset, man. Like I'd just broken her heart. I don't know what to do."

 

"I can't get past the fact that you turned down sex!"

 

"Not helping, Inuyasha."

 

"I'm sorry, I just can't believe that happened. You never turn down sex!"

 

"And I've never had a successful relationship! Nothing ever lasts! I thought that if I did things differently this time, it might turn out better."

 

"But she was upset? Angry?"

 

"No, not angry. Hurt, humiliated, even. I tried to explain why I wanted to wait, but it didn't help. She's never going to talk to me again. What should I do?"

 

"I dunno. If it were me, I'd go back there and bang on the door until she answered, and then fuck her brains out. Of course, I'm not supposed to be giving you advice, and that would completely go against what you were trying to do in the first place."

 

Miroku sighed. "I should have accepted her invitation in the first place. I wanted to, so badly."

 

"Yeah, I don't need to know just how much you wanted to fuck my best friend, Roku. Just go to sleep, and call her in the morning. Then you'll be able to judge just how much damage you did. Hell, by then, she might just be fine with it. She'll realize why you did what you did and appreciate it once she's had a little while to get over the sting of rejection."

 

"But I didn't reject her! I just said we should wait."

 

"To her, I'm sure it felt like rejection. Just stop thinking, and try to get some sleep, buddy. Things will look better in the morning."

 

"I sure hope so."