A Demon Lord's Cry by Kagome Yuki Niwa
Summary: When Rin falls ill and dies, only one person can bring Sesshoumaru from the edge on insanity, Kagome Higurashi. Whisked away to the Western Lands and subduing the Western Lord binds her tighter then she could have imagined and inadvertently elevates her to the status of Western Lady. In a skewed version of Beauty of the Beast, Sesshoumaru keeps her in his castle and refuses to let her go no matter the consequences and reasons. She never wanted the position but duty binds her and all she wants is to return home to Shippo whom battles his own demons with death. Suffering all the perks and downsides of being human among demon royalty, Kagome refuses to lose this battle.
Categories: Angst/ Drama, Romance, Romance > Sesshoumaru/ Kagome Characters: Sesshoumaru
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 10958 Read: 8646 Published: 13 Dec 2008 Updated: 04 Apr 2012
Story Notes:

:: The reason behind the making of this story is because I would love to make a fanfiction that is seductive yet sweet, loving yet hateful. Beauty brought forth only by destruction of all that is pure is what I want for this story. I want the pain wrought with terrifying sadness, to connect with my readers, to bring out emotions from them. I want this story to be like none other and to be remember by it and only it and not for another to come after like it. High standards, ne? Can I do it? Maybe... we'll see. 

 

1. Meet The Beast by Kagome Yuki Niwa

2. Consequences by Kagome Yuki Niwa

Meet The Beast by Kagome Yuki Niwa
Author's Notes:
:: This chapter is mainly the introduction to what's happening and what our dear heroine has to do. It's to give the reader an idea of what this story is to be about. I am tossing the reader in cold turkey, unprepared for what exactly will happen as is my way to do things xD If you know me from fanfiction.net, you know I love to toy with my characters and readers emotions. >3

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.

Genre

: Romance/Angst/Hurt

Pairing

: Sesshoumaru/Kagome

Summary

: Little Rin has died and Sesshoumaru doesn't know what to do. He loses himself to his beast, lost in emotions he hasn't felt in hundreds of years. Kagome is called to subdue the raging beast and in the process binds herself to the taiyoukai stronger then her bond with Inuyasha. With Sesshoumaru's subduing comes the price of being Lady of the West and with the title comes all the downsides and perks of being ningen royalty among a youkai court.

A Demon Lord's Cry
Chapter One: Meet the Beast

x . . . . x

When someone fell ill in Sengoku Judai - they died.

Her steps were small when she moved through the white that surrounded her in the blackness of the night. Her dainty feet dragged in the ice covered ground as she was unable to find it in her to move quicker when her world was falling to piece around her. There was a tiny smile playing on her face, strained, false, a lie. Someone she cared for deeply hadn't taken well to the cold that descended so harshly upon them only a few weeks prior. The time travelling miko had done everything in her power to ensure that the youngest member of their group was taken care of by using dozens of modern medicines and making even more trips back and forth through the well. Even Inuyasha had tried using variations of youkai medicines that he had been taught at a younger age.

Nothing seemed to make a difference.

Shippo was not healing with the help of any medicine and seemed to be healing at a very slow rate on his own. It was something to celebrate and be thankful for but not for Kagome. Like all mothers, the young miko was worried to tears at not being able to help her little kit and it was wearing heavily on her. She was someone he had come to rely on. How could she not fall in love with those large turquoise eyes of his? And that bright smile whenever he saw her? So she did and she claimed him as her own and that was that. Now she had let this happen of all things – the child was bedridden and she felt it was all her fault.

A soft, ragged sigh slid past her lips as she continued on with her little trek, her dark blue skirt swishing around her pale thighs enticingly. She had recently put on a warm, black jacket to accommodate the first few weeks of winter. A top her head was a black beanie, slowly gathering snowflakes, and around her neck was a gray scarf. Her little nose was a lovely shade of crimson and officially numb from the cold but she didn't turn back for the hut.

No. There was something oddly soothing about wandering around the forest with nothing but her own thoughts for company, something that made her feel almost lighter... but not better. Not better considering her kit was ill. There was something about the isolation that allowed her thoughts to go to a much darker plane then they usually did. It allowed her to think the thoughts she never would think and feel what she never allowed herself to feel in front of her friends.

She let the hopelessness and despair consume her for just a few moments because she could never do so in front of anyone else and it wasn't like the forest would tell anyone. It kept her secrets and allowed her, her solace.

So many children had died already that winter and it had just started. The heartache was terrifying and the pain was something that she was not immune to and it tried to consume her. Children that had never lain within her womb had been the cause of many tears and many nightmares as she saw their bleak and desolate faces behind her closed eye lids. Her heart broke into thousands of pieces as she thought of the many children that passed. In her pain, Kagome knew one thing.

She was not meant for this era.

She was not cut out for the cruelty and ruthlessness of it, not like Kaede or Sango who were born into the pain... not thrust into it. In her dark thoughts, Kagome allowed herself to pray for her kit. She wanted - needed - him to get better. Shippo was stuck on the fence not sure which way her kit would go. He was at the point where he could get better or worse.

She hoped it would not be worse.

Kagome looked up at the gray sky and exhaled a breath from her lips, watching distantly as the warmth made a puff in the air. As moisture gathered on her cheeks she thought snow was melting as it hit her flesh. It took a few moments for Kagome to realize she was crying. Minutes later, she found herself crouched in the snow and burying her face into her arms as she sobbed.

She had no idea how long she stayed that way, kneeling in the snow, sobbing so completely and fully. She did know that quite some time had passed considering she could barely feel her hands and vaguely feel her toes. Her body was sore and stiff to the point where even the slightest twitch of her finger caused some pain to course through her body. It was darker, she realized, but the little crying jag had done wonders for her. So, Kagome stood and stretched the soreness from her back and limbs. She looked around and then turned the way she had come.

She stopped before she could take her first step as the presence of a youkai filled her senses. She stiffened and looked around somewhat wildly. Her powers had increased in the time that had passed. She was now stronger and her arrows had more power so that she could protect herself and her friends though she still had a very long way to go and was not in complete control. She had grown weary of being a burden to her companions. Kagome paused as she heard huffing and slight wheezing as a brown and green figure flew from the trees and threw itself at her feet.

She recognized the creature as Sesshoumaru's lackey.

She knew immediately this did not bode well for her.

"Ningen wen - Miko-sama!" he cried and Kagome frowned quickly at the change in her title. Jaken had never been her friend and he had never called her anything other than a degrading name. She could feel her stomach begin to fill with dread as he bowed to her in the cold snow. Kagome was on her knees within moments after him, shaking him slightly, trying to figure out why he was so distressed.

"What is it, Jaken? What's happened? Is the Western House alright? Is Sesshoumaru alright? Did you find Naraku?" She thought it funny how Naraku was the last thing to come from her mouth. The little toad though, looked at her with luminous, bulbous eyes filled with tears. One of the most hateful youkai, prejudice toward all ningen alike, was pleading with her using his eyes.

For what? Kagome had no idea but she could the dread settle solidly in her stomach.

"Please... " he murmured, the tears slipping down his dry and cracked skin. "Please... come to the House of the West and subdue my Lord. I have never begged of a ningen, a miko no less, but I beg of you now, Miko-sama, please."

It took her several moments to register what the small youkai had been asking her and she blinked as she released him and stared at him as though he had grown a second head. Jaken was nothing if not loyal to his Lord.

"Why?" she asked him, eyes narrowed, not understanding this at all. "I don't understand what you're asking me to do. Just tell me what happened, Jaken." she murmured soothingly.

"Miko-sama... " he began as his face scrunched up and he released a gasping sob. "R-Rin is dead." he whispered, his coarse voice cracking in his pain. It didn't take Kagome long to register to the news. She could already feel her hands shaking, the tears burning behind her eyes as brought one of the shaking appendages to her temple, her breath coming in short gasps.

Sesshoumaru had loved that little girl in his own way and she had no idea of the impact her death had on the taiyoukai. Her death though, had caused her mind to drift to her earlier thoughts.

So primitive was this time that another child had died.

"I don't understand why you need me. You need to explain to me why he needs subduing." she told the distraught youkai softly.

"Sesshoumaru-sama was there when she passed, holding her hand. One moment she was breathing and the very next Sesshoumaru-sama scooped her into his arms and locked himself into the Western family crypt where we believe he has lost control and let his beast loose. He has been locked within for days, howling mournfully day and night." he stated as softly as he could with the silent tears coursing from his eyes. "He needs to be subdued and not killed and after years of watching you on the battlefield, I know you have enough honor to help and not kill him."

"Jaken." she said, grasping his attention as she told him the blunt truth. "I am not strong enough to subdue Sesshoumaru. I have raw and untamed power. A lot of it. That doesn't mean I have enough to subdue a taiyoukai like Sesshoumaru."

"You don't understand!" he cried out, desperation vibrating from every cell in his body. "We need a miko of any power. A subduing spell is not based on power, it's just a spell! Please... we just need a miko that won't kill him!" he pleaded, again begging. Blue-gray eyes closed as her mind played over the scene in her head. Sesshoumaru, holding the small body of Rin, with his howls erupting from a throat that was most likely raw from use. Emotion clogged her throat and filled her head.

This was Sesshoumaru and he most likely had no idea what do right now. Confused and hurt were two words she would have never linked in the same sentence as Sesshoumaru but at this moment she knew that those were the emotions he was feeling. Her heart went out to the parent mourning the child that graced his life so briefly.

Kagome reached her decision.

"I'll do it, Jaken, but I have to go to the village to gather my things and let my friends know I'll be going. I can safely assume this invitation is not extended to them, correct?" she asked and even though Jaken had sagged with relief, he shook his head.

"It'll be bad enough to have you in the Western House, but to have your whole rag-tag group would be worse." he explained and Kagome nodded her swiftly. Jaken whistled and a green, saddled, two headed ryuu appeared. Kagome recognized the creature to be Ah-Un, the same creature Sesshoumaru kept around. Kagome was gestured to sit on the saddle of the ryuu and she hesitated only a moment before jumping onto its back.

The two headed youkai made a low sound of sadness, as though they - it, whatever it was - too mourned the little girl. Jaken jumped on the youkai in front of Kagome as they took to the skies. It was a short ride but time was of the essence as Jaken explained why they couldn't wait for Sesshoumaru to merely snap out of it on his own. She would use his explanation to help her to convince Inuyasha to let her go.

As Kagome leaped from the creature when it descended, she mentally prepared her argument, her heart heavy. She pushed open the flap of Kaede's hut and moved inside quickly, her face tingling from the abrupt change in temperature. Her friends were startled by her abrupt entrance but she quickly began gathering her things, talking as she did so.

"I'm leaving." she stated almost immediately, not having the luxury of dancing around the issue all night.

"The hell you are!" Inuyasha cried indignantly. "There ain't no way I'm letting you go back to your time when you barely just returned!" he growled, amber eyes swimming with anger.

"I'm not going to my time." she murmured, meeting stunned silenced as she looked to Kaede. "May I have the spare subjugation beads?" she asked softly of the older miko. Kaede moved wordlessly about the hut and gathered a necklace of dark blue beads similar to Inuyasha's minus the fangs.

"Why do ye require the beads?" Kaede asked, her single eye questioning as she handed them over to the younger miko. Kagome accepted them with a polite nod and 'thank you' as she continued to gather her things.

"I'm headed to the Western Lands to subdue Sesshoumaru." Kagome answered honestly as she finished packing her bag. A deep growl filled the silent hut and Kagome turned to meet the amber gaze of Inuyasha.

"You're doing what?" he growled as Kagome sent him a watery smile.

"Is that wise, Kagome-sama?" Miroku asked, his violet eyes filled with worry for the younger girl. Sango could only stare in shock for several moments before asking the same thing as Inuyasha had.

"No, Miroku-sama, it's not wise but I have to do it." she told her companions.

"Why, Kagome-chan?" Sango asked not quite understanding why her friend would go to risk her life to subdue Sesshoumaru.

"Jaken came to me in the forest with news. Little Rin, the young girl that traveled with Sesshoumaru, recently died and has let himself fall to his 'beast'. I have no idea what this means but he's obviously not himself. Jaken needs a miko to subdue and not kill him and he says I'm the only honorable miko he knows of." she paused and as Inuyasha opened him mouth, she stopped him. "Jaken has also said that they can't afford for Sesshoumaru to stay this way much longer. There are already speculations that Sesshoumaru has fallen into insanity and youkai are speaking of assassinating him in his present state to take over the West. Should that happen, chaos will become the West and I am duty bound to help Sesshoumaru in this time of need."

"Duty bound?" Miroku asked the young miko.

"He saved me once from the possible marriage and rape from Mukotsu of the Shichinintai." she swiftly informed them as she tightened her scarf and headed toward the fitfully sleeping Shippo.

"I'm going with you." Inuyasha stated as Kagome shook her head at him, her fingers moving through Shippo's damp bangs.

"Sesshoumaru is not going to be happy with me there and so I highly doubt the both of us is a good idea." she murmured now that she was close to the sleeping kit, knowing Inuyasha would hear her. She planted a soft kiss to the kit's brow and pulled away.

"Kagome-chan is right." Sango muttered angrily, eyes flashing, upset she could not help her friend in her plight.

"You'll find me if there is change in his condition, right?" Kagome asked, gesturing to Shippo.

"Feh!" he muttered as he looked away, arms crossed over his chest. He nodded his head, begrudgingly understanding. He knew that honor drove people to do odd things and he was no different than Kagome. He could not fault her but he could pissed as hell at her. "Don't come cryin' to me when that bastard shoots you full of acid!" he growled.

Kagome only smiled as she offered her goodbyes and a last lingering look at Shippo before she made her way out into the cold. Kagome shivered as a blast of cool air hit her and almost sent her back into the hut due to the severity of the temperature. She knew though, in her heart of hearts that she couldn't leave Sesshoumaru to the fate that was currently being laid before him. She couldn't leave the proud, aristocratic youkai with emotions that were consuming him. So, instead, Kagome ran to the edge of the village where Jaken and Ah-Un were waiting for her because Kagome could not turn away a soul in agony.

Jaken greeted her with a small nod of his little head and then gestured for her to leap on the back of the two-headed youkai. Kagome complied a but not before sending a small look back at the peacefully sleeping village. She then mounted the creature and Jaken followed suit, leaping in front of her to take the reins. Mere seconds passed before the young miko found herself in the skies once again, the full moon shining brightly along the trio.

It was only after the village was out of sight that the full weight of the situation crashed down upon Kagome, leaving the poor girl breathless.

She was going to Western House.

Kagome was headed to the House of the Moon.

A miko was going to be in Sesshoumaru's House.

Kagome sent a silent prayer to Kami as they flew in the sky, praying that Sesshoumaru wouldn't kill her the moment he came back to his senses. She was nothing more than 'ningen filth', after all, and 'ningen filth' did not belong in Sesshoumaru-sama's home. Then again, Rin had been ningen. Kagome blinked her eyes furiously to hold back her tears. She wasn't Rin, though. She was Kagome and Sesshoumaru wouldn't be nearly as merciful toward her as he would have been toward Rin.

"Jaken?" Kagome asked softly. The little toad turned and gave her a small nod to continue speaking. "What exactly killed Rin-chan?" she asked gently, her eyes soft yet questioning. Jaken merely sighed and Kagome soon thought he wasn't going to answer her. She was wrong when he opened his lip less mouth and his squawking voice flowed past.

"We are not ningen, Miko-sama." he began softly, looking into the night sky. "Rin very much was. The Western House had no ningen but Rin and we as youkai didn't really realize her frailties until it was much too late. Rin had gone to play outside in weather that would have been seen as normal by youkai standards but it was much too cold for her and she was much too stubborn. She was out for hours and when she came in, weak and stumbling, skin blue, body shivering, we practically surrounded her in fire. That is what killed her. We heated her body much quicker than we should have."

Kagome concluded that it was very likely that hypothermia had killed Rin and her body had been gaining heat faster than her chilled body could take. Again, blinking back tears, Kagome mulled over the situation in her head and concluded that this was most likely going to turn out quite bad. The sensation of dread in her stomach was offering no help.

Hours passed as Kagome's hair whipped wildly about her delicate face, the wind causing her cheeks to go numb and ache from the stinging cold. She soon found herself shivering slightly every now and then but nothing too large to worry about and so Kagome ignored it. Half an hour had passed when she heard them. The sound caused her to blink several times before a muffled sob tore its way past her lips.

Sesshoumaru was howling.

For a few brief moments, Kagome had thought there was a pack of wolves nearby and were responding to the howling but she soon realized that the ghost like noise, filled with such a haunting and arresting sadness was nothing but Sesshoumaru. They shook her to the bone, her very core aching with such a profound pain. They were heart breaking, sob wrenching sounds and Kagome felt her sadness simply increase tenfold. The sobs of a mother when they lost their child, to see the pain in their eyes when they realized they were gone was a terrible sight but this- this was worse. To know these sounds came from a man - a youkai that hadn't known such pain in many, many years - was simply the most unbearable thing Kagome had heard and felt in a long time.

This was a youkai that had felt almost no emotion for anyone but himself and he most likely didn't understand this pain, didn't understand how to react. Sesshoumaru and not understanding didn't belong in the same sentence... ever, but Kagome knew deep down it was an accurate way to describe the taiyoukai at the point and time. After all, had he understood, he wouldn't have been in this situation.

"Oh Kami, forgive me." Kagome whispered as the weight of what she was about to do settled on her shoulders.

The poor miko was going to subdue Sesshoumaru like a common inu. A proud youkai like Sesshoumaru would now be seen as the equivalent of a pet much like Inuyasha was. Inuyasha didn't much care though... Sesshoumaru, on the other hand, would care. That's what the necklaces were after all, collars. They bound the wearers by collars to the person that had placed them there. Inuyasha had grown to see the necklace as a sort of bond that allowed him a place in the world and Sesshoumaru would not see like that at all, Kagome knew this almost instinctively. Sesshoumaru already had a place in the world, did he not?

Kagome almost flinched when Inuyasha's words came back to haunt her.

"Don't come cryin' to me when that bastard shoots you full of acid!"

'Oh, Inuyasha,' Kagome thought sadly, panic slowly coursing through her veins. 'I think I'll be dead before even being able to come and cry to you.'

The howls began to grow louder as the trio began to get closer to the place where the sounds were originating from. As the House of the West began to come into her sight, she felt her previous fear be replaced by awe. The group had never had a reason to be this deep in the Western Lands and she couldn't prevent her reaction. It was a breath taking sight that was being unveiled before her. The Western House was surrounded by a youkai town. The House was built into the side of a large mountain, almost a wall of rock considering climbing that rock would be hazardous.

It was much like a miniature fortress in some ways. Surrounding the high walls was nothing but untouched land lacking in trees for about thirty yards or so within that of the wall. Around the thirty yards were large trees that towered over the high walls and Kagome could only relate them to the California Redwoods that she had once seen in a book back home. From her view above the trees she could see the huts and the markets surrounding another wall in the inner city. The inner wall was the wall that surrounded the Western House and the Western House was beautiful. It was much like most feudal lords had but there were differences.

It was built in a large letter 'x' with a square in the center. The middle of the square was absent except for a large court yard filled with a large pond and plants that thrived in water and grew around the small little ecosystem. It was very well kept from what Kagome could see, with green grass surrounding the pond and small stone benches positioned under large Sakura Trees. Around other parts of the 'x' she could see a large and beautiful garden, training grounds, several dojo, other small feudal mansions, among other things she was too overwhelmed in taking in.

Kagome was shaken from her observations when she realized they were flying over the first wall. She was about to ask Jaken if it was a good idea not to greet the deadly troops she had seen standing atop the wall when she mentally hit herself. They had all most likely known Ah-Un by sight by now. They flew over the youkai city where there were still some youkai doing last minute chores and they turned their heads skyward when they sensed the ryuu. Some waved and others moved quickly into their huts and homes. It began to snow gently again when the two headed dragon descended outside the inner wall surrounding the Western House. Several inu-youkai and a few other creatures she couldn't immediately identify turned their attention to them from outside the front gate and atop the walls.

"Jaken-sama?" called an inu-youkai positioned outside the gate as the two jumped off the ryuu. Kagome quickly took in the tone, which was cool, and then took in the features of the inu-youkai. His features were sharp, like all the features of inu-youkai in their humanoid forms, his ears pointier then most demons. Though his hair wasn't white like the Western Lord, she knew he was inu because of the aura.

"Yes, Takeshi-san?" Jaken asked almost tiredly.

"You were sent for a miko, not a whore." the inu, Takeshi, spoke. Kagome blinked several times before she glared hard at the youkai. Blue-gray met green in a clash of anger and Kagome once again allowed her eyes to roam and take in the thigh brushing raven black hair, the dark green eyes filled with anger, the claws that were clenched into fists with suppressed rage, and the brooding aura. Kagome knew that most youkai could be classified by the color of their hair or markings and she classified this one was either a black inu or an obsidian one.

Over the years she had studied cultures of youkai in order to understand their fighting habits and techniques when they encountered them over their travels so instead of getting hurt through surprise, they were able to fight with precision and with few injuries. Once again her eyes moved over him, trying to see if he wore the colors of his own house but only found the Western colors. White, blue, black, and gold.

"I am a miko." Kagome said softly though her anger was thick in the air with the sharp scent of purification energy and crackle of sparks of pure power. Kagome was filled with a sense of smugness when the inu-youkai's eyes widened. She only reigned in her power when Jaken hissed audibly and the Ah-Un growled lightly. The front gates were opened and Kagome felt that the howls had only grown louder as her brief but of smugness faded and was replaced with profound sadness.

The trio walked through the arch way, several people running to greet the small group. Kagome only looked at the two that commanded attention instead of paying attention to other servants. One of the two was a small, plump female brown inu-youkai. She had shoulder length chestnut hair with pointed ears and black eyes. Her features were small and rounded and she had a kind, serene look about her. The kimono she wore was light and not that of the high class but pink colored with a yellow obi.

The other inu-youkai was clearly that of aristocratic nature with the way she held herself. She herself was a golden inu with waist length gold hair. It wasn't the blond of humans but the pure color of gold as though someone had spun golden coins and made it hair. Her features were sharp and angelic, with rosy red cheeks song her tanned flesh, with dark lashes that brushed her cheeks, with a body that was slim, almost model like, and eyes the color of melted honey. Her kimono was most likely worth a horse... or five, and was blue silk, clinging to her soft curves, with small flowers imprinted at the hem, and a silver obi.

"Miko-sama." greeted the small inu, a gentle smile on her round features. "My name is Himeno and I shall be helping you with your preparations. Beside me is Reika-sama."

"It would be a pleasure to meet you if not the circumstances. My name is Kagome." she bowed, Himeno returning the gesture whereas the other inu didn't bother moving. Himeno indicated for Kagome to follow and she followed dutifully. Kagome turned to see if Jaken was following and when she realized he wasn't Kagome paused and gave him a reassuring smile. "Jaken-sama!" she called gently. He turned to her and she could see the strain he was going through. "It'll be fine. I promise not to let anything happen to Sesshoumaru." Kagome missed the frown that Reika had sent her at the use of Sesshoumaru's name without an honorific.

Jaken only nodded before turning and walking away. Kagome went back to following Himeno and was led through the inner hallways made of wood and shoji screens. She was led soon to a large wooden door intricately designed with the House of the Moon symbol, a Crescent moon. The door was opened and Himeno led her into a large library filled with shelves of volumes of books, scrolls, and sheets of parchment. There were several small desks covered in papers, and a larger desk arranged neatly with stacks of parchment and ink. Himeno pointed to a desk with a single scroll and Kagome looked over at it.

"That scroll is a scroll of sealing, Kagome-sama. It is the only scroll we have been able to find and we hope it helps you. It says that you need an object of some sorts - " Himeno was interrupted by Kagome when she pulled out a necklace.

"I was given a necklace to use." Kagome stated softly and the inu-youkai nodded her head stiffly, clearly not wanting to be a part of the subduing of Sesshoumaru but knowing there was no other choice.

"That will do just fine. We ask that you learn the spell as soon as possible. I'll have dinner and something warm sent to you. The door will be closed so you can study uninterrupted. Another youkai will be here shortly to read the scroll to you." Himeno said gently as she turned to leave.

"The youkai won't be necessary, Himeno-san." Kagome told her as she began to shimmy out of her clothing. "I can read just fine." Himeno arched a brow in surprise but nodded her head as Kagome kneeled before the desk and began to read. There was a large fireplace in one corner and Kagome arched her own brow in contemplation. The western youkai were certainly ahead of their time. She sighed softly but then turned her attention to the scroll where she studied and concentrated on how it was done.

Several hours passed and Kagome had the spell memorized and full stomach. She stood and went to the door where she asked one of the men posted outside to get Himeno. The inu entered the study and Kagome nodded her consent that she was now ready. Armed with only a necklace and a single spell, Kagome was nervously ready to brave the taiyoukai. Well, she was as ready as she could be without vomiting up the contents of her poor stomach. Secretly, she knew she shouldn't have eaten as much as she had.

Being led through halls once more, Kagome could hear how the howls grew louder in volume. Her stomach was in knots and she was feeling vaguely ill. Fear was coursing through her veins along with adrenaline as the duo stopped before a hallway with a large door at the end. No words had been exchanged through the short trek and no words were spoken now for several long moments. Kagome thought the little inu was going to turn and walk away after a few more minutes passed but Himeno gave her a searching look, full of a deep aching sadness.

"If you go to the door and open it, it will lead you down stairs and into the crypt. There you will find Sesshoumaru-sama where I - we as those in the entire West, ask you to please do all you can." she murmured, her black orbs being enveloped in a sheen of tears.

"I will, Himeno-san. No worries." she said gently and then she was walking toward the door, her fragile, human heart twisting with every step. She pushed the large, heavy door open, the beads clinking in her hands as her fingers trembled and shook, the door creaking open. Slowly, Kagome took one step at a time down into the dark staircase, lighted by only a few torches. The howls were louder now and Kagome took several deep breaths and paused before reaching the last few steps.

What was she doing? Was she really going to risk her life for a youkai she didn't know? A youkai that had tried to kill her on more than one occasion? Kagome took a step back but an image of Rin her mind had rooted her to her spot. She nodded to herself and began walking once again. Yes, she was going to do this. She was going to do this for Rin and her Sesshoumaru-sama. When Kagome reached the bottom of the steps she saw a path that was lighted by torches with stone tombs on both sides. Statues of great inu-youkai in both human and beast form stood over some of the tombs. At the end of the cavernous room was Sesshoumaru, crouched, with his back toward the miko. He was howling loudly, his head of silver hair thrown back, as each howl was torn from his throat. Kagome moved forward slowly but her foot hit rock and it sounded softly in the room. Kagome hoped he wouldn't have heard it over his howling but this was Sesshoumaru after all. The howling died abruptly and the taiyoukai turned his head to look at her, his body shortly following.

Kagome's lips parted but no words would slide passed as the male turned and faced her. In his arms, cradled gently, was Rin, her small body pressed closely to his chest.

Scarlet clashed with blue and a tear slid down the miko's pale cheek as a choked sob fell from her dry lips.

"Be silent, wench." Sesshoumaru murmured, voice hoarse with a distinct rasp. It was nothing like the cool and unemotional tones she was used to hearing. Kagome could only nod her head as she took in the dried tear tracks along his striped cheeks and the dirt on the bottom of his hakama where he had been kneeling and crouched. "She's sleeping." he whispered softly, a clawed hand gliding through Rin's glossy locks. Kagome merely lifted her head upward and prayed. She looked back to Sesshoumaru and another tear slipped from her eye.

"Sesshoumaru... " Kagome began gently. "Rin is dead." she ended just as soft and gentle. Crimson eyes narrowed and then a ferocious roar tore from his hoarse throat as Kagome's eyes widened. It wasn't even seconds when Sesshoumaru disappeared from her view and Rin's body lay in his previous place. She had no time to register her head hitting the wall, her sight dancing with spots, and her body being held off the ground from her throat. A clawed hand was not yet blocking air to her lungs but in a few seconds, Kagome knew she could be dead. Kagome looked into crimson eyes once more and flinched.

"You. Lie. Bitch."

.

.

.

End Notes:

'Gome Yuki:: I'm going through and rewriting the chapters! This will be my final draft! Sorry guys! There are several things that need to be addressed and corrected so that everything can operate smoothly.

Reconstructed:: February 9, 2012

Orignally Post: 10/31/2010

Consequences by Kagome Yuki Niwa
Author's Notes:
A Demon Lord's Cry
Chapter Two: Consequences

x . . . . x

"You. Lie. Bitch."

Kagome was not afraid to flinch as she stared into blood red eyes that were filled with such fierce depth and emotion Kagome knew Sesshoumaru would have never revealed to anyone. In an odd way, she felt as though she were an intruder staring at the raw emotion that filled those scarlet hues, intruding on his pain and anger. She was jolted from her thoughts as the inu-youkai dug his claws into her pale neck in an alarmingly painful manner though not yet breaking the flesh. Kagome cried out gently as more tears spilled from her blue-gray orbs.

"Please... " she pleaded softly, begging him to come back to himself. She would give almost anything to see Sesshoumaru glare at her haughtily and toss a rude remark her way about ningen. Her right hand was clutching at his arm and her left was clinging to the dark blue prayer beads. Though no sound passed her lips, inside she was screaming. She didn't want to do what she had been asked. The consequences were unknown and she knew, without a doubt, there would be consequences and they would be dire. Powerful youkai weren't brought down in any way without severe consequences in the end. At her plea though, Sesshoumaru leaned only closer, a snarl slipping past his lips as they were curled over his fangs. "Please... " she whispered again, almost begging.

"You will die... " he hissed and then, when the bite of his claws in her previously unmarred flesh became too much and she felt blood slip down her neck, Kagome withdrew the beads with a slight 'clank' and tossed them over the taiyoukai's head. Almost immediately the beads glowed white with her power and his blood red eyes narrowed. There was a moment of confusion for the 'beast' within and then her power began to sizzle along his flesh. Sesshoumaru dropped Kagome as he began to tear at the beads with claws but to no avail. Kagome slid down the wall and quickly set about getting into to prayer position, muttering words that sounded foreign but she knew were right.

It was not moments later when the glow quickly died down and the raging lord whipped his head toward the miko and charged her. Once more, Kagome found herself against the wall, and her head hit the stone with an alarming strength, causing her vision to slightly tunnel. Sesshoumaru's growls tore through her pounding head as they increased in volume and fear flowed through her veins as she searched for a word to subdue him.

There would be only one word and that word would tie Kagome and Sesshoumaru, rather it would tie Sesshoumaru to Kagome. It would bind him to her for what could be a very long time. As the word slipped past her lips and as he was roughly torn from her, claws leaving deep, angry tears in her flesh, Kagome felt deep sense of regret. She slipped down to the floor, leaning against the stone wall and watched in awe as Sesshoumaru hit the opposite stone wall as he was thrown back roughly thirty yards. Dust and dirt flew into the air and rock had cracked and was now falling. Kagome surmised that the inu-youkai might have actually gone through the wall.

Nothing moved for what seemed like long time as the debris settled. She practically jumped out of her skin as a cool yet hoarse voice slipped from the hole in the wall.

"Back?" was the curt question she heard as the dust and debris settled. She watched in fearful awe as Sesshoumaru gracefully from stood from the hole. "Back?" he snarled angrily, pale hands cleaning off the dirty, white haori. The youkai turned and faced the miko and said miko breathed a sigh of relief as she noticed the golden color of his eyes. There was no emotion on the almost angelic face, though no ningen would ever mistake him for angel with the youkai markings along his cheek bones and forehead. Recognition filtered through those golden orbs but that was all. "Explain." he demanded coolly, voice still rough.

Kagome, never having had to put herself in the role of servant threw herself into it now. She would do almost anything to have his wrath directed elsewhere. It was almost funny how she would have done the same to bring him from his beast. "Sesshoumaru-sama... " she began, pleased to note the slight trembling in her body had not leaked to her voice. "Your servants, your retainer, they called upon me to subdue you though I did not want to." she stated softly yet strongly. She heard him take several almost shuffling steps toward her and crouch down in front of her. There was a heat, an anger in his golden eyes as he stared sown at the woman.

A clawed hand grasped Kagome's chin and roughly tilted her head upward toward him. Kagome flinched as hot tears scalded her cheeks and her eyes connected with the beads at his neck. She wanted nothing more than to tear the blasted things off. Sesshoumaru was a proud youkai and proud youkai were not bound to mikos of any kind... Truthfully though, Kagome didn't know how to unbind him from her. Kami knew she tried countless of times with the hanyou currently waiting for her to return. Even if he found the necklace as a symbol of belonging, Kagome herself saw it as a collar.

Sesshoumaru must have sensed her wandering thoughts because he roughly shook her face by her chin and made her look up at him, golden eyes clashing angrily with merely flinched, crying out gently. She soon realized the arm that held her chin had been the arm Inuyasha had previously cut off. She assumed it grew back in the year they hadn't seen him. He looked down at her and spoke, his tone harsh and commanding, "Explain to me what has happened and why you have bound me." he growled to her, golden eyes smoldering.

Silently she whimpered and closed her mixed colored orbs. The beast that had taken control and had been in denial and Sesshoumaru himself was unaware of the situation. She prayed internally as she began a slight trembling once more. Her small, dainty hand reached out of its own accord to grasp the large, calloused hand that gripped her oh so breakable neck. Cool, golden eyes watched the action and though his face betrayed no emotion, the cool gold showed a hint of confusion. He did not pull his hand from hers though the hand under hers tensed immediately. "Sesshoumaru-sama..." she began slowly, solemnly, as her eyes once more opened up and stared up at the youkai.

"Sesshoumaru-sama... you lost yourself to your inner beast and Jaken came to me saying that you would not revert back to yourself." Kagome murmured softly, delicately. "You locked yourself down here, in your family crypt with Rin-chan's body. Rin... Rin-chan is dead, Sesshoumaru, due to a ningen illness." she finally ended, her voice never once cracking but her eyes filling with tears once more.

Sesshoumaru stared down at the woman and the grip on her neck slackened slowly as he gently released her. There was a sniff followed by the touching of his cheek as he felt the dried moisture. Had Kagome not been paying attention, she might have missed the slight paling of his already pale skin. She might have missed the way whatever life he carried with him slowly faded. Golden eyes rivaling a cool burning sun, faded in color, darkening to a honey gold. He blinked once as though not truly comprehending what she was saying.

Eyes that rivaled the cold on a winter's night turned slowly to the tomb that Sesshoumaru had recently had his back to. There was a soft horror written in his eyes rather than his face as he moved forward slowly. Rin and Sesshoumaru had been together for as long as Shippo had been with Kagome and her heart went out the taiyoukai. Trembling hands moved to caress her lips as she sat on her knees and a tear slipped past her eye. Rin had once confided in the miko how she had come to end up with her dear Sesshoumaru-sama and the story had stayed with her.

They had been separated, Rin and Kagome. She was nothing more than a happy little girl with a hyperactive imagination, showing Kagome all the flowers they passed by, and telling whether they could eat the plants or not along the trees. The miko found the child adorable and extremely fun to be around, making small flower necklaces and crowns, laughing and giggling.

"Kagome-chan!" she cried happily as she leaped into the older girl's arms. Having being used to one young kitsune, Kagome was used to catching leaping children. "Rin made one for Sesshoumaru-sama!" Kagome laughed lightly and nodded her head at the young girl.

"It's beautiful Rin-chan!" she smiled gently. "Speaking Sesshoumaru, how did you come to be in his care, Rin-chan?" The question had been burning inside since the two had been along together. Think about it, she'd finally have the coveted answer as to how Rin and Sesshoumaru had met!

"Rin helped him once... he was hurt. Rin died though! Wolves killed Rin and Sesshoumaru-sama brought Rin back to life. He takes care of Rin and Rin takes care of Sesshoumaru-sama!" she smiled brightly and sighed softly. "Rin loves her Sesshoumaru-sama... he saved her."

"I'm sure he loves you too." she whispered gently, patting Rin's head. Rin nodded once and Kagome looked around into the surrounding forest where she felt his powerful aura sweeping through the clearing that the two females had made their haven. His power rolled through her, almost knocking the air out of her. She saw him standing in the shade of the trees, cool eyes, watching, waiting. The taiyoukai surprised her though by giving a small smirk as she gasped for breath and walked away, leaving Rin in her care.

Kagome opened her eyes and watched as Sesshoumaru gathered the small girl in his arms and held her almost reverently, cradling her close to his body. She watched with baited breath as Sesshoumaru rebuilt himself before her eyes. He stood straight and his face molded back to being impassive. His eyes could have passed for their normal coolness had it not been for the dark depths filled with sadness, or had she imagined that? She shook her head and looked up at the taiyoukai that moved slowly toward her and then passed her. He made his way up the stairs, stopping only a few steps above ground level before looking down at her. His gaze clearly demanded she follow him. Kagome quickly stood and began to jog after the inu-youkai.

The door she had previously entered, Sesshoumaru walked through and light nearly blinded the miko to the point where she had stumbled upon entrance into the hall. The hall that led to the crypt had been filled with youkai from wall to wall, a small gap between them so that their Lord could pass by. There were several gasps and cries as Sesshoumaru entered and she watched as some turned away from the inu-youkai.

Sesshoumaru walked down the path they had cleared, little Rin still held within his arms. The youkai bowed their heads low as Sesshoumaru passed, all of them except for the golden inu-youkai from before, Reika. Instead, she sneered at the child held within Sesshoumaru's arms as she stood arrogantly, beautiful eyes narrowed. Sesshoumaru made his way to the door but she stood apart from the crowd and blocked it.

"Move it, onna." Sesshoumaru said coolly, his voice a few degrees colder than usual.

"Sesshoumaru-sama..." she began with her own dose of coolness and arrogance, her voice sending unpleasant shivers along Kagome's spine, setting off alarms within her head. Kagome flinched at the youkai's tone, knowing it would upset Sesshoumaru. Her tone screamed 'higher birth talking to a peasant' but Sesshoumaru was no peasant. "Why would you bring the brat back up here rather than leave her down in the crypt? Are you trying to destroy us all? All ningen carry disease when they die that can be occasionally fatal to our kind." Kagome gasped as anger coursed through her swift and righteous. A low growl slipped passed Sesshoumaru's lips but before he could speak, Kagome spoke, forgetting her place, moving before Sesshoumaru.

"How could you be so cruel?" she asked as she glared up at the taller female. Reika sneered in disgust and her eyes flashed with hate and superiority.

"You are ningen. Watch your mouth." Reika growled lightly, fangs flashing, dainty but still frightening in her anger. Kagome couldn't keep the glare from remaining on her face. Tears burned the back of her eyes but she held them back in this slight battle for dominance in wills.

"You dare tell me to watch my mouth when it is you that needs constant watch upon yours? How can you be so vicious and heartless to be cold to the death of Rin?" Kagome demanded, her anger continuing to sky-rocket, miko powers flailing about and singing the flesh of Reika.

"I will tell you once more, ningen, and then I will tell you no more. Watch. Your. Mouth. You are speaking to the - "

"I could care less as to who you are." Kagome interrupted the tirade with a sneer and a soft growl. Honey eyes narrowed and the inu-youkai stepped forward, wisps of youki beginning to make itself known and allowing the miko to see the inu was more than just a pretty face. Reika had power to back up all of her lovely trash talk and cruel words. Another step and Kagome stood her ground as the taller female continued to get closer until Sesshoumaru stood before Kagome. All power ceased from both sides as Kagome growled.

"That is enough." Sesshoumaru said coldly though it may have been screamed in the deafening silence. Kagome nibbled her bottom lip as she put a lid on her ever-growing powers. Lack of control seemed to be her largest issue lately, ever since restoring the life Kikyo had by purifying miasma that poisoned her incarnation's body. Power that had always had the possibility to become formidable became what it would and began manifesting in physical forms and even changed colors from pink to silver. "Reika, you will remove yourself from my sight before I remove you myself. Do not show yourself to me again."

Red slowly began to creep into the lovely, cool gold of Sesshoumaru's and Kagome watched the thought slide through Reika's eyes. The thought that she may actually push the issue and say, 'no' and continue to go after Kagome. Reika was smarter than she seemed though considering she merely sniffed and turned. She walked from the hall and it seemed like the youkai released a collective breath. No words were said as Sesshoumaru continued on to his destination, expecting Kagome to follow him and follow him she did. They left the stuffy room and wandered through the halls, twisting, turning, winding to and fro. It wasn't long before she felt the cool of the outside air hit her face.

Barefoot, she followed as Sesshoumaru stepped into the cold and unforgiving snow. She was unprepared for the biting chill that scalded her flesh just as easily as the heat could have. Her toes numbed almost instantly and she wrapped her frail arms around her body, attempting to preserve some warmth. She looked around as they walked out into the night and her eyes widened. They walked through what most likely was a garden once before the cold had gotten to it. It was dead now, frosted by the touch of winter, much like Rin. Such dark thoughts were pulled aside as Kagome avoided stepping upon the cracked and rustling shrubbery. Her eyes flickered to Sesshoumaru, his face stoic, small white clouds blaring from his nostrils as he breathed.

They walked to a large tree that must have been beautiful with shade to protect from the harsh sun during the spring and summer. Now though, in the moon-light it looked almost frightening and ominous. Sesshoumaru placed Rin on the ground reverently and Kagome choked back a sob at the picture the little girl made. Her hair was a stark contrast against the snow, her sleeping yukata a bright yellow, her pale skin almost gray. Her lips were parted and her eyes closed and Sesshoumaru's eyes moved along her face as though memorizing this moment, her pain, and then he turned away... turned and began to dig her grave using bare hands.

His sharp claws penetrated the frozen earth and the grave was quickly dug. Soon it was six feet deep or so and roughly three feet in length. Standing straight, Sesshoumaru moved and picked Rin up and held her in his arms for a few moments and then he placed her into the grave as though he were doing nothing more than tucking her into bed and Kagome cast a look at the night sky and then returned to the scene of Sesshoumaru burying the only person he had ever loved most likely other than his mother and Kagome knew it was love. There was no way it wasn't.

Sesshoumaru piled snow and dirt into the grave and never once looking up from his task, spoke to Kagome. "Pray for her, miko." was the soft spoken demand. "Send her soul to the afterlife as you ningen like to do." he continued, his voice tired, borderline distressed. Kagome could only nod her head and glance at the grave. Blue-gray eyes closed as her head of raven hair was bowed. The cold that swarmed through her body was abruptly pushed away by a warm rush of power slipping through her flesh. Her dainty hands were pressed together in a prayer position and words whispered through her mind.

Fear jolted through her once but the fear was replaced with a sense a knowing, a sense of familiarity, in the words. Kagome was lulled into relaxation by a separate entity in her body that seemed just as a familiar as a mother's embrace. The thing, the person, the entity, whatever it was felt as though it had been with her all her life and she hadn't recognized it until now. Pursing her lips, Kagome allowed her power to flow through her, and allowed ancient words to slip pass her lips because there was no reason for to her fear something so comforting, something that seemed so right.

Kagome's chanting soon came to end and the power died in a rush as the sound of childish laughter lit the air. Kagome's eyes opened and for some odd reason or another, she saw Rin skipping upon the grave she had just been buried in. The only way to describe the corporeal body was simply a silver see though image. Skipping and dancing she turned to the two standing before her and waved her little hand at the two.

"Farewell, Sesshoumaru-sama!" was the call, followed by more of her laughter. "Don't you worry, Kagome-chan will take very good care of you!" and then she turned and ran, her laughter ringing around the tai-youkai and miko. Soon her form disappeared and Kagome could feel her heart wrench as she glanced the male beside her. His eyes were trained on the little girl's dancing figure until it soon vanished into mist. Sesshoumaru looked down at Kagome and nodded to her as though giving her his thanks. He soon crouched and patted the earth that now held Rin's physical shell.

Kagome's feet were once again frozen and numb as the power that filled her was gone completely. She was once again cold and weary, wanting nothing more than to find a warm place to sleep. A tear slipped past her eye and slid down her cheek as she trudged toward the grave. She too bent down and crouched beside Sesshoumaru. Pressing her fingertips to her lips and giving them a short kiss, she then touched them down to the earth, saying her own good-bye to the little girl. Sesshoumaru stood and Kagome soon followed, craning her neck to look up at the youkai.

"You will sleep in the guest wing." he told her, voice cooler than the winter's night breeze once again. He gave her a cool glance before heading back to the House of the Moon. Never once pausing to see if she followed, he continued on, "Tomorrow... you and I will speak. Himeno will take you to your quarters as I will not have roaming about my home." About to retort angrily, Kagome paused as she saw the inu-youkai from before appear before her.

There was a smile on her kind face and Kagome couldn't help but smile back. When she looked to Sesshoumaru to be angry again, she found he was gone. Himeno merely laughed at the miko, a small feminine chuckle and gestured from the frozen, tired girl to follow her. Kagome nodded her head and took no more than two steps before her knees buckled and the strain of the power she had used fell upon her.

.

She was wandering... wandering alone and in the dark. Cold filled her and seeped through to her very bones. She trembled in the darkness as it threatened to engulf her very being. A soft, dry sob slipped passed her throat and Kagome did everything she could to keep it together but the blackness spilled into her and there was nothing but the dark. She continued walking until she could walk no more and then she crawled.

Pathetic. Useless. Disgusting.

She crawled until she felt numb and then she screamed. The black was a fearsome and threatening thing, causing tears of anxiety and fear to slip down her cheeks. There was a soft, childish giggle that bounced through the emptiness and Kagome looked up, seeing a light that hadn't been there before. Energy renewed, she ran toward it. The light grew, filling her with warmth and security.

Light exploded around her and she soon found herself by a lake, Rin sitting beside it, her little feet splashing in the water. Upon Kagome's stumbling into Rin's peace, she looked up at her chocolate orbs brightened at the older girl. "Kagome-chan!" she cried, tossing her a wave. She stood, wiping her little hands on her yukata, and then moved toward Kagome, wrapping her arms around the older girl's legs.

"Rin-chan..." was the soft whisper that fell from Kagome's lips as she pulled the girl into her embrace, feeling her light, feeling her warmth and love. Pulling away, Rin wiped Kagome's cheeks and looked at her very seriously for one so young.

"Rin has a very, very big favor to ask of you, Kagome-chan." she said softly. "In return, Rin will help you."

"What is it?" Kagome asked curiously, her hands still clutching at the little girl.

"Rin wants- Rin needs you to take care of Sesshoumaru-sama!" she whispered urgently, gravely, the tone not suited for the jubilant face of Rin. Kagome thought about it for just a moment before nodding her head. Rin had looked so serious, how could Kagome deny her that one request? Rin nodded her head once and smiled happily. "Good! Your reward is a piece of information from a very nice lady. She wanted me to tell you that the entity you felt earlier is your power. You have to find a way to control it; Sesshoumaru-sama may be able to help you. Rin has to go though, Kagome-chan! Bye!" And just like that, Rin pulled away from Kagome and ran off.

"Wait! Rin! I don't understand!" Kagome called, feeling the dark beginning to close in on her as Rin ran away, taking all the light with her.

"It's okay, Kagome-chan! Rin will talk to you again! Promise!" Rin continued to run and Kagome attempted to chase after her but the dark continued on and soon was around her once again. She needed answers! What did she mean that Sesshoumaru needed her? What was this of her power? Cold seeped into her bones and Kagome screamed.

Kagome sat up in bed, a screaming clawing at her throat but she held it back as she wiped her brow of sweat with her hand. She glanced at her surroundings, unaware of where she currently was. Once again wiping the sweat from her brow, Kagome took in what was around her. She was in a large bedroom, lying upon a goose feathered futon. Covered in several intricately designed blankets, thick but soft to the touch, Kagome knew she wasn't in any ordinary home. She looked around again and noticed the beauty of the cream colored room. To her right was a polished oak vanity, complete with small drawers. She vaguely wondered if they contained anything. A large mirror was attached to the vanity and beside it was a large chest made of the same material.

Behind her was another chest next to a large wardrobe that was more than three times wider than she was. In front of her was a shoji screen door and to the left another shoji screen door. She noticed that the futon was in the center of the room and that her large, yellow backpack was pressed against one of the walls. There was a small fire pit beside her, still lit and giving off heat, keeping her warm throughout the night. Sighing, she stood, taking in the chirping of the birds outside in the early morning. There was a knock at the screen and she answered with a quiet, "Come in."

The door slid open and Himeno entered the room, sliding the door closed behind her. She smiled, gave a small bow, and sat upon her knees before Kagome. The miko soon found herself following the inu-youkai and doing the same. Her eyes were warm and welcoming and Kagome returned the feeling whole heartedly.

"Good morning, Kagome-sama." she greeted warmly, and Kagome responded in kind with her own warm. 'good morning'. "I have been sent to help you prepare for the morning. I am to help you get into the robes that have been provided to you by Sesshoumaru-sama and help with your bath should you want one. Sesshoumaru-sama asked me to assure you that you do not have to bathe if do not wish to. We understand that most ningen believe themselves to become kappa should they spend too much time in the water. We do not want to offend you or your ningen customs. From there you and I will proceed to the dining hall for breakfast with the a few of the Outer Court members and you may speak to Sesshoumaru-sama there." she said to Kagome quickly, but softly, leaving Kagome to make her decision. A smile worked its way onto her lips and Kagome chuckled softly.

"Kappa." she murmured with much humor. "Some ningen are funny" she said conspiratorially. "Personally, I prefer to bathe all the time. I would love to take one now actually." Himeno smiled brightly and stood, Kagome following her example as she was led to wardrobe. Himeno opened it and Kagome released a soft gasp at the kimono's that littered the space. Each kimono was delicately and intricately designed and Himeno sifted through them like she had down it a thousand times before and would it do it a thousand times over. She touched several and glanced at Kagome once more twice before shaking her head and moving on to the next.

Finally, she stopped at one and turned a critical black eye to the miko and then nodded once. She pulled out a light blue, almost ice colored kimono and smiled softly. "It fits the season, it is quite warm and will protect your delicate flesh, and will being out the blue of your eyes." She murmured with a nod of her head and smile on her lips. The kimono was more than beautiful with its lovely coloring. There was a silk covering that was stitched into a heavier, warmer material. The silk was light blue and held silver and white snowflakes delicately stitched into the material. The ice blue silk faded into white around the hem and the sleeves, both lined with bright, white fur. It had a silver obi that was plain but was trimmed in ice blue. The under kimono that the silk was stitched to was white and trailed behind slightly, the white fur thicker there.

"I can't wear that." was the soft exclamation that came from Kagome, turning frantic eyes to Himeno.

"Of course you can, Kagome-sama." Himeno answered her, confusion marring her features. "You have to."

"No, no, no. I don't think you understand. I have the tendency to destroy anything remotely nice! All my uniforms get destroyed and bloodied!" she said urgently. Himeno shook her head at the miko and gave her a smile.

"No, Kagome-sama. I'm sure you'll be fine, after all, Sesshoumaru wants you to dress as your station." Himeno informed lightly. Kagome gave her an odd look and tilted her head to the side.

"Miko's are generally a poor lot, taking a vow of poverty, Himeno-san." She stated almost dead panned.

"Oh dear, Kagome-sama." she sighed in exasperation playfully. "You have bound a taiyoukai to yourself... that alone gives you high standing amongst out kind, but the fact you have bound Sesshoumaru-sama, Lord of the Western House... well, that makes you a Lady of the court. You will be looked after, treated justly, and will have all the things befitting a Lady of the House of the Moon." Kagome turned large, blue eyes to her, giving her a look that screamed she was simply mad.

"Pardon me, Himeno-san, I don't like this joke much." Kagome answered. "I am ningen, after all, I could never be a lady of any court."

"Ah yes, that's right, Kagome-sama. The very first ningen to ever be admitted into any youkai court..." Himeno smiled and chuckled softly. "That may pose a slight problem."

.

.

.

End Notes:

Reconstructed:: February 9, 2012

Original Posted:: August, 22, 2011

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=975