- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

MS- HI :D

New story, Beneath it All. [AU, Modern, OOC] Maybe OOC, probably at some parts.

The chapters will be substantially longer than As a Courtesan. This story, will be one of my longest. I'm guessing around 30-50 chapters long.

Summary: Kagome Higurashi, a poor girl entering a prestigious High School meant for the rich and wealthy. What happens when she crosses the sole student who thinks the school belongs to him? All (if not most) Characters present.

Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi! Disclaimer apply to all chapters of this story! Plot strictly mine!

Beneath It All
MiserablySweet

Chapter 1- Hope

Kagome stumbled around the darkness of her house as she groped the walls looking for the light switch. She yelped painfully as she stubbed her big toe against what she thought was a textbook.

"Ah here it is!" Kagome glowed in triumph as the light to her living room flickered on and soon missed the darkness covering the mess.

"SOUTA!!" a young boy scrambled down the stairs with a toothy grin. "Yes sister?" Souta was no taller than Kagome's shoulders with jet black hair and a boyish face.

"What's this Souta? You were supposed to clean up after your friends leave," Kagome exclaimed as she bent down and gathered the discarded textbooks on the wooden floor. Souta glanced away from his older sister in shame. "I was planning to clean it up after they leave, i have to finish my homework" Souta stumbled back up the stairs and closed his room door with a subtle click.

"That's weird I thought he said he was going to do homework with his friends," Kagome pondered as she rid the wooden floor of the textbooks. She set the heavy textbooks by the small television and slumped on the couch.

"What a day," Kagome whispered as she massaged her temples to prevent getting a headache. She glanced over at the clock and noticed it was already seven PM, "Well time to start on dinner." Kagome walked into her tiny kitchen and rummaged through the fridge and sighed in a very troubled manner, 'out of food.'

"Well, we'll go out to eat then," she announced and called for Souta. 'Huh, no response? Maybe he's listening to the radio,' Kagome rounded the corner of the stairs and stood in front of Souta's room.

"Souta?" She knocked on the door several times softly, still no response. Kagome furrowed her eyebrows and started to worry she opened the door and managed a little crack before a force slammed the door shut and locked it. Kagome's head was spinning with worry and assumptions wondering if her little brother is safe.

"GO AWAY!" her brother's voice sounded through the other side of the door. "I hate you!" Kagome slumped down onto the floor and wondered what in the world would cause her brother this rage. Tears brimmed on the corners of her eyes at the thought of her beloved sibling never talking to her ever again, he was all she had left to look forward to the world and she didn't want to lose him. Kagome placed a hand gently on the flat surface of the wooden door, "Souta, what's wrong?" Kagome pressed an ear against the door when suddenly an object struck the door from the other side causing her to grimace in pain.

"Go away! I hate you, I hate this house!" Souta's voice cracked, Kagome knew what he was talking about now. She gently pried opened the lock with her bobby pin and entered Souta's dark room. Souta was laying on his bed face down and sobs racked through his body. Kagome sighed and sat on the side of the bed and placed a gentle hand on the back of his head.

"Souta, I'm sorry. I'm really trying. But between the school fees and grandpa's medical bills we can't afford fancy things in the house yet," Kagome ran her hands in Souta's hair. Souta sat up on the bed slowly and slammed into Kagome's chest and wrapped his hands around her back. 'Souta, I'm sorry,' tears streamed down Kagome's face as she clutched on to her little brother, "I'll try harder Souta, for you, I promise."

"That's not it Kagome. It's my friends! I hate them! I don't want to talk to them ever again," he sobbed into Kagome's chest. She brushed his hair on the back of his head softly,

"They were making fun of you, weren't they?" Souta sniffled and released himself from the embrace. "They came in the house and said that we're poor and disgusting. And they pushed me!" Souta pointed to his scabbed knee. Kagome glided her fingers across the scab and sighed miserably, "would you like to transfer back to the public school?" Kagome stroked his cheeks softly as tears continue to leak out of her eyes, "I never knew they would cause you such trouble," Kagome sobbed into her hands.

"Sister, please stop crying," Souta grasped his sisters wrists softly, "it's not your fault. You're trying the best you can. It's those people, they don't know that people with less money are just the same as they are." Souta scrambled behind Kagome and knelt on the bed and wrapped his small arms around Kagome's shoulders, "Kagome, I'm sorry." Souta shook with sorrow, realizing that he put all the pressure upon her once more. Kagome smiled sadly and touched his hands softly, "Souta, it's okay I'm fine now."

Kagome untangled Souta's hands around her shoulder and turned around to face him. She cupped his tear stained cheeks, "It'll get better, I promise. Now get dressed, we're going out to eat tonight." Souta's eyes lite up instantly, "Cafe Hello?" Kagome nodded, "clean your face and get dressed, I'll meet you downstairs." Souta rushed to the bathroom to get ready for dinner at his favorite location other than home. Kagome stood up and walked into her room, a lone tear slipped down as she clicked the door shut.

"Please let things get better," she whispered in the darkness of her room. "I don't want to see him suffer anymore."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

A soft chime signaled another customer coming into the cafe, a young adult waitress stood in front of the door to greet them, "Welcome to Cafe Hello! How many seats do need?" came the cheery voice. Kagome giggled, "Sango it's us." The waitress grinned happily as she nodded, "I know. I was just practicing my lines, come over here" she signaled Kagome to come closer and gave her a huge bear hug.

"Sango!" an elder voice chided over the counter. "Sorry!" Sango giggled and ruffled Souta's hair, "HEY!" he reached up to grab her intruding hands but Sango snatched her hand away fast, "still too slow, little man." She motioned for the duo to sit by the counter, their usual table. Soft pop music was playing in the background of the cafe as Souta and Kagome looked around their menu. "What do you want to eat this time Souta?"

Souta scanned the menu longer before gently closing it with his head held high and placed it on the table, "the usual" he replied. Kagome rolled her eyes at her little brother.

"You took all that time just to say 'the usual'??" Souta blew a raspberry at her and gave her a toothy grin, "Yep." Kagome giggled lightly and winked at the male waiter, "hey handsome, we're ready to order!" The male waiter blushed and walked over, "Kagome! You're embarrassing me!" Sango heard Kagome's little compliment and fell into a laughing fit.

"Come on Kohaku, I was just messing around," Kagome grinned. Souta punched Kohaku's shoulder roughly making him falter a couple of steps back in surprise.

"Hey! Souta! What was that for?" he put his hands on his hips and glared at the younger boy. "Pay back!" he grinned and Kohaku rolled his eyes at him.

"So what do you want to order Kagome?" Kohaku flipped open his notepad and positioned himself to take down her orders.

"It's already done," the same elderly voice that chided Sango was heard behind Kohaku. "Kaede! let me get them for you" Kohaku motioned to take the plates but Kaede spun around quickly leaving Kohaku dumbfounded. "Ye usual, Kagome," she placed the plates on the table. Kagome smiled softly at the elderly woman, "thank you Kaede."

Kaede nodded, "no problem child, I better get back to minding the counter. Come here Kohaku, I have a job for you." Kohaku and Kaede left them seated at their table so they can enjoy their dinner in peace. Kagome glanced over to Souta who already began to gobble down his spaghetti and meatballs and marveled at how kids can bounce back. 'I wish I can see the happiness in your eyes more often Souta,' Kagome sighed softly for no one to hear and began eating her meal, eel udon and a side of chicken caesar salad. Kagome enjoyed her meal silently listening to the slurps and gulps Souta was making and giggled.

"Souta, don't eat that fast, you'll choke," she commented. Souta grinned and excused himself to the bathroom to wash his hands. Sango walked over to clear their table.

"How was it?" Sango asked curiously. Kagome sighed and felt tears invade her eyes as she searched the words to tell her best friend. "They're taking him away Sango. At the end of this month if I don't find a reliable job. What am I going to do, I can't lose him," Sango bent down on her heels and grasped Kagome's hand in hers.

"Kagome, I know you don't want to apply for that school, but that's your only chance to keep Souta with you. I know with your grades you can pass the qualification test with ease, wait here," Sango went behind the large counter for several moments and came out with a brown catalogue envelope. "These are the application to the school, and the time they are going to accept resumes and qualify you for the test." Kagome looked at the brown envelope and sighed what seems like the hundredth time that day. "Alright, I'll go" she accepted the package earning herself a pat on the shoulder from Sango. Souta returned from the bathroom and noticed the envelop, "What's that?"

"Just a bunch of papers," she smiled.

"Here here! A treat for ye!" Kaede held two plates of strawberry cheesecake and placed it in front of Kagome and Souta. "I made it myself, ye better eat all of it!" Kagome gave Kaede a dashing smile and began to consume her favorite dessert. After they were done, Kagome went to the counter to pay for their bill. She took out a twenty dollar bill from her wallet and handed to Kaede. "No need child, ye are like family to us. I feel horrible I couldn't give ye a job here at the cafe, so please keep ye money and let us treat you to dinner," Kaede pushed the money back to Kagome.

Kagome shook her head, "No I can't just take you for granted like that Kaede, here please take it." Kaede sighed and took the bill but gave her ten dollars back as change, "Kaede, this is too much!" Kagome realized her change wasn't suppose to be this much. Kaede shook her head, "take it child, ye'll need it for the qualification test." Kagome felt herself swell up with tears again and ran behind the counter and hugged Kaede gratefully. Kaede smiled and pat her on the back lovingly, "if ye ever need a meal, come to us."

Kagome nodded and bid Sango and Kohaku goodbye and headed home with her little Souta.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Kagome clutched onto the brown catalogue tightly to her chest, 'God, hear my prayers I need to pass this test...' Kagome pushed through the front door of the magnificent building.

"Wow..." she breathed out as she glanced around in the hallway. Marble statues stood proud and tall between locker sections. The white themed hallway was adorned by unpainted stainless steel lockers, mahogany wood covered floors, rich golden fabrics for window curtains and marble waterfountains. 'This place is ridiculously rich...' Kagome marveled the hallway as she strides to her destination, "Room A-1, here it is" she knocked on the door softly waiting for a reply.

"Enter" an elderly raspy voice signaled for her to enter, she opened the door and revealed a short old man with a bald forehead, "Can I help you?" Kagome jumped up in shock not realizing she was staring at him.

"Oh yes, I'm here for the qualification test," she approached the old man and handed him the brown catalogue envelope. The old man scanned through the papers with a surprised look on his face, "well your résumé is indeed very impressive," he walked over to the back of the desk and retrieve a paper packet, "You may take the test, take a seat," Kagome let out a squeal of excitement and blushed when the others stared at her.

"Try to keep it quiet, Ms..." the old man glanced down at the résumé again, "Ms. Higurashi." Kagome nodded and took a seat by the window and signed her name on the front cover and started her test.

Several hours have passed and Kagome noticed students leave one by one as they finished the test, 'Damn it, this is harder than I thought' as she saw another hand the old man the test papers and leave the room, making her the last five test takers. Kagome began to panic, 'what if I'm going to fail... STOP! Kagome! Concentrate!' she stared down her test with heavy confidence and finished before the time was up.

"Was it hard?" the old man commented, Kagome smiled "yea, just a little bit" and walked out of the classroom and headed to her job. Kagome reached the front entrance and pulled the doors open, smiled into the sun.

"I'll pass."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Kagome sighed as she entered her dark house, she is just exhausted from the amount of work she's done in the past week.

"Kagome!" Sango greeted her from the living room. Kagome scrambled in and smiled at the display before her. Kohaku was teaching Souta hands on combat.

"What are you guys doing here?" Kagome hugged Sango briefly and sat on the couch. "I was picking up Kohaku from karate practice when he told me he wanted to show Souta his new moves" she giggled.

Kohaku grinned as he grabbed Souta by his shoulders, hauled him close to his body twisted Souta's body gently and kicked the back of Souta's knee causing him to buck his knee foward and with a little strength Kohaku pushed him down onto the floor. Souta landed flat on his back with an "umph". Kohaku grinned proudly and made Macho man poses. The girls laughed heartily as Souta got up and stood behind Kohaku, mimicking his poses.

"You guys want to stay for dinner? We're having baked macaroni and cheese and some salad," Kagome offered. Kohaku's face grinned madly waiting for his sister to say yes.

"Why not, your baked mac and cheese is Kohaku's favorite," Sango sighed and the boys cheered in victory. Kagome left to the kitchen and began to cook the meal when the phone rang, "Sango, can you get that for me?" she called out through the kitchen. "Sure," she reached for the receiver "Hello, Higurashi residence, how may I help you?"

A smooth baritone voice sounded through the other line, "Is this Kagome Higurashi?"

"No, sorry she's busy at the moment, do you want to speak to her directly?" Sango politely asked, the man on the phone agreed and Sango called for Kagome.

"It's urgent," Sango said as Kagome took the receiver into her hands, "Hello, this is Kagome."

"Congratulations Ms. Higurashi, You've passed the qualification exam with flying colors," Kagome squealed into the phone and jumped with excitement, Kagome muffled the receiver into her shoulder and hopped up and down repeatedly, "Sango Sango!!" she squealed, "I passed the qualification test!" Sango clapped her hands merrily and gave Kagome a hug, "So you're accepted now?" Kagome forgot to ask and apologized to the other line, "My apologies, am I accepted into the school?"

"Yes, but there is a high tuition cost for this school, I've a file in my hands stating you are in financial crisis. Will you be able to afford the payment?" Kagome sighed, "Sir, how much is the tuition?"

"Fifty-nine thousand dollars per month, not including textbook and uniform expenses," Kagome's eye bulged and gulped down a heavy lump in her throat.

"I'm sorry sir, I won't be attending then," Kagome looked at Sango with sad eyes and shook her head, she was about to hang up when the other line called for her to wait.

"Wait, Ms. Higurashi," Kagome lifted the receiver back to her ear, "yes, sorry sir, as you were saying?"

"We do have a scholarship program that will pay for your tuition due to your high score on the exam, our school has never seen a score that high before," Kagome held her breath waiting for something to knock her down from her head in the clouds, "But what does the scholarship demand of me?"

A sharp laugh was her first reply, "All you have to do is, attend at least two extra curricular activities per week, have a grade aver over ninety-five percent, and ninety percent attendance for all terms."

Kagome smiled, "It sounds reasonable enough, yes I will be attending the school sir."

"There's one more thing though," Kagome listened on, "You must make Sesshoumaru Taishou attend all his classes on the first day of school, that is your hardest task, do it well." With that the other line went dead and left Kagome in a dumbfounded state.

"Sesshoumaru Taishou? Who is that?" Kagome pondered and Sango hugged home tightly! "I heard everything from your other line!! Congratulations Kagome!! You finally have a scholarship!" Kagome snapped out of her stupor and rejoiced along side with her best friend, "Come Sango! Let's eat!"

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

A man with a slender hand placed the receiver back on the phone and a mischievous smirk adorned his face.

"What an interesting semester this year will be. Kagome Higurashi, You will be the one who will change my son," the man chuckled softly and left the principle's office.

.

.

.

.
Chapter End Notes:

MS- First chapter done!!

Do you like it? Tell me what you guys think okay?

Please review!