- Text Size +

MS- Lol i'm updating later and later aren't i?

Sorry but life gets too hectic and i barely have time to sleep =/

.

Surprisingly i have less reviews for this story than AAC O_O

Actually now that i think about it, my hits have been dropping and same goes for reviews.

Do you guys don't like the story? the characters?

.

anyway, on with the story!!

Beneath It All
MiserablySweet

Chapter 5- Kanna

Previously...

Sesshoumaru knew he heard a squeal and some voices, he walked to the back of the lounge to find the girl who ruined his car, and his uniform wearing the lounge's uniform. He growled loudly, "YOU are DEAD!"

.

Present...

Kagome squeaked as she dodged his arms that try to grab her biceps, "Look, I'm sorry okay?!" Sesshoumaru and Kagome circled around the coffee table with anger seeping out of Sesshoumaru, and anxiety out of Kagome. Sesshoumaru snorted and gave her a growl, "a simple apology won't do."

Kagome huffed and placed her hands on her hips, "and why not?" she countered. Sesshoumaru placed a feet on top of the marble coffee table and got ready to pounce on his prey. Kagome squealed and Bankotsu shielded her with his body. Sesshoumaru stopped and stared in disbelief, "Are you defying me?"

Turquoise eyes met piercing golden hues and locked together in a stalemate, "No, but I am defending the helpless."

Sesshoumaru growled loudly, "LOOK at me," he pointed at his stained uniform, "she is NOT helpless!" He gave a death glare over to Kagome who was peeping over Bankotsu's shoulder with wide fearful eyes.

"She is defenseless against you Sesshoumaru," Bankotsu stood bravely in front of Kagome, still defending her. Several long minutes of heavy tension hung in the air until Sesshoumaru ran his hands in his hair and sighed loudly, "I can't believe you're going against me for some poor girl." He rolled his eyes and turned his back on a furious looking Kagome and dumbfounded Bankotsu.

'He just discriminated me again because I was poor?! Stupid Prick! I'll show you how tough a poor girl can be,' Kagome left the safety of Bankotsu's presence and hauled a cushion at Sesshoumaru's back, "HEY!" she yelled. Sesshoumaru froze in his tracks, 'that wretched girl...' He spun around on his heels swiftly, "WHAT?!" he barked loudly.

Kagome mentally gulped and inhaled deeply, "I am poor, so what? A poor person don't have eyes, hands, hearts? Do we not have brains, senses, affections or desires? Do we not eat and drink the same food? Do we not catch the same diseases as the rich? Do we not get cold or warm by the same seasons we all share on earth? If you cut us, do we not bleed? If you hurt us, do we not feel remorse? SO why, please tell me oh high and mighty prince, what makes us Poor people different from the rich?" Kagome's eyes held a burning desire to make the rich to finally understand that the rich and the poor are no different from each other.

Sesshoumaru stared at Kagome with a cool and collected face but inside, he was in turmoil, 'Such a speech from such a girl. Perhaps she does make sense. Wait! NO! What am I thinking?!' Sesshoumaru cleared his throat, "Spare me the lecture girl, you are the last person I want to hear lectures from. But for your information, true; we all have eyes, hands, hearts, brains and senses. If we cut you, indeed you will bleed, and share the same seasons, but if you hurt us, we will brush you off like you're a speck of dust. If we catch a disease we have enough money to pay for medical procedures to cure ourselves. Also, we don't eat the same food, the poor eats low grade produce while the us, the rich eat the high quality and expensive dishes. So, in this world, the poor is lazy and unable to get off their butt and complain about being poor." Kagome's breath quickened, 'How dare you...' Her body began to shake in anger over his arrogant reply and stalked over in front of him and stared at him with fierce eyes, "You..." Kagome clenched her hands into fists as she tried to contain her anger.

"...are..." Kagome swallowed a heavy lump in her throat, "... impossible" she jabbed her fingers in his chest repeatedly. Sesshoumaru smirked, "Like I care what you think about me?" Her anger spiked through the roof, her hand twitched; aching almost to feel the impact of his cheek against her palm. Kagome shivered at the proximity of the distance between her face and Sesshoumaru's face. Kagome held her anger at bay.

Sesshoumaru saw her hand twitched and his arrogant smirk widen, "you won't dare." Kagome growled and threw her arm back slightly and swung it to his face. Sesshoumaru's arrogant smirk turned to a shocked face as her fist made impact to his cheek. His head swung to the side from the great impact. He touched the corner of his lips and confirmed his suspicion when he tasted something metalic.

"You bitch," he raised his hands to strike Kagome but she didn't flinch one bit. She stood proudly in front of Sesshoumaru with a determined stare. He clenched his hands tightly as he noticed he couldn't bring his arm down to strike her, he would never strike a female. The audience stood in shock of what Kagome did to Sesshoumaru. Bankotsu rushed to Kagome's side and pulled her towards the front entrance of the lounge, "Let's leave Kagome..." Sesshoumaru's eyes never left her head even as she left with Bankotsu. He eased his arm down and touched his aching cheek softly, 'I can't believe she just did that,' he thought in disbelief.

Inuyasha ran up to Sesshoumaru, "Yo Sessh, are you- DAMN!!" he was about to ask if his elder brother was alright when he noticed the huge mess of a dark purple and blue discolored bump on his lower cheekbone. Sesshoumaru stared at Inuyasha with a bewildered expression, "What?" he barked.

Inuyasha laughed loudly and pointed at the bruise, "the.. girl.. hahaha" he couldn't even finish his sentence. The rest of the group glanced at what Inuyasha was laughing at out of curiosity. Their eyes bulged and hands flew up to their mouths to hide their amusement. Sesshoumaru growled in frustration, "WHAT?!" he demanded to know. Hiten nodded towards the mirror hanging a few feet away from Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru glanced in the mirror and grew lightheaded from the reflection. The bruise was darkening by the second and a highly noticeable bump was growing at the lower part of his cheekbone. Sesshoumaru continue to stare and poke at the bruise through the reflection in disbelief and roared, "THAT GIRL!!!!!!"

Oh how he will make Kagome pay for this flaw on his flawless face, 'you will regret messing with this Sesshoumaru.... Kagome,' he said her name for the first time.

-0-0-0-0-0-

Kagome huffed and threw her hands up in the air in exaggeration as she fumed about Sesshoumaru's arrogant attitude, "Bankotsu I can't believe you were ever friends with that... that.. prick!!" Bankotsu waved his hands in mid air to attempt to calm the angry Kagome.

"He may play tough and arrogant on the outside Kagome, but he's a true and honorable friend," Bankotsu defended Sesshoumaru. Kagome huffed and stared directly into Bankotsu's eyes, "yea right."

Bankotsu chuckled, "It may be hard to believe but, Kagome he has bailed my family out of debt for many many times. I owe him a lot." Kagome narrowed her eyes suspiciously at her new friend, "Then why are you defending me against him if he has helped you so many times?" Bankotsu wrapped his braid around his neck loosely, "I said he's an honorable and true friend... to people who he approves of. But to strangers... well he just don't care what others think about him. And somehow I can't seem to forgive him and the rest of the group about what they did to Kanna."

Kagome nodded and glided her hands on the smooth leather interior of his car, "I've been hearing a lot about Kanna, who is she exactly?" Bankotsu's eyes glazed over in remorse. Kagome gasped, "Only if you feel comfortable telling me Bankotsu. If not it's okay," she gave him a cheery smile.

Bankotsu returned her smile, "I'll take you to her."

-0-0-0-0-0-

Bankotsu pulled his car to the hospital's parking lot. Kagome glanced at her surroundings and found it awkward that a mental institute would be located on top of a hill, "Hey Bankotsu?" He turned to face her, "yes Kagome? Is something wrong?"

Kagome shook her head, "why is the hospital on top of the hill?" Bankotsu smiled, "it's a serene place isn't it?" he inhaled the refreshing scent of earth and mist. Kagome shrugged, "It is rather peaceful." Bankotsu laughed at Kagome's agreeing face, "Let's go in." She nodded and followed behind quietly. Bankotsu greeted the receptionist at the front entrance.

"Good afternoon Ms. Kain," the elderly lady bowed softly and noticed Kagome behind Bankotsu, "bringing a friend to meet Kanna?" she asked with an raised eyebrow. Bankotsu nodded, "they have many things in common already." Kagome tilted her head in confusion.

"This way," Bankotsu motioned to the elevator not too far from the desk, "she might seem a bit distant at first, but it's almost as if she hears you... but has trouble breaking her shell." Kagome listened carefully, "has... has the doctors said anything about her finally coming back to this world?" she hesitantly asked hoping she won't offend him.

Bankotsu shrugged, "They told me she may never return to her old self," the elevator stopped on the eighth floor and they exited the moving contraption. "They told me, the chances of Kanna regaining her memories and emotions were one in a thousand." Kagome gasped when they arrived to Kanna's room. Bankotsu knocked on the door softly, "Kanna, it's me" he called out before he turned the knob and pushed the door open. Kagome squinted her eyes as the room emitted a strangely bright light. She raised an eyebrow at the colors in the room, mainly just color. Kagome and Bankotsu were the only things, living or inanimate in the room that was not washed in white. The walls were painted white, the wooden floor was bleached to a creamy white, the bedsheets, furniture, curtains, ornaments were all white.

Bankotsu silently headed to the silent girl with silver hair. He pulled a chair merely inches away from touching the bed and sat down facing the girl. Bankotsu grasped her hands softly in his and placed a gentle kiss on her knuckles, "Kanna, it's me." Kagome felt her heart jump out of her chest as Kanna lifted her face and stared at Bankotsu; her eyes as dark and void as space itself, 'oh my god... she really... she...'s.. trapped.' Bankotsu motioned for Kagome to come closer, "Kanna, this is Kagome."

Black voids met cerulean depths, "K..aa..gu..mee" Kagome heard her eerily soft whisper and shivered. She walked over and bent down and stood on her knees and folded her hands on the soft bed, "Hi Kanna, it's very nice to meet you" she gave Kanna a sweet and gentle smile. Bankotsu closed his eyes as a heart constricting feeling pulsed through his body. He inhaled deeply and sighed and opened his eyes once more. His eyes widen as the corner of Kanna's lips tilted up ever so slightly, "n..ni..ccce" she whispered. Kagome inhaled sharply as Kanna lifted her hand and touched Kagome's soft midnight tresses, "b...lue..."

Bankotsu jumped up from his seat and rushed out of the room. Kagome grew frightened and snapped her hand behind to only catch a glimpse of Bankotsu's back, "BANKOTSU?!" she cried out. Kanna's hands flew to Kagome's folded hands and grasped them tightly, "K..aa.. gu.. mee.. sh..s..tay" she mustered. Kagome swallowed nervously, 'this is really freaky... omg am i trapped in a horror movie?!' Kagome's eyes never left Kanna's void depths in fear of something devouring her if she did. Bankotsu soon rushed in with several doctors trailling close behind.

"She spoke!" Bankotsu exclaimed as the doctors looked him dumbfounded.

"Impossible," one of the doctors exclaimed as he checked over her progress report repeatedly. Bankotsu shook his head, "it's not impossible! Kagome," he turned his attention to Kagome, "tell them, tell them what she said!" Kagome gulped and looked at the doctors,

"Kanna repeated the word "nice" after I greeted her, and said the word "blue" when she touched my hair," Kagome looked over to Kanna who was still staring at her with her void eyes, "she also told me to stay when I was about to run after Bankotsu after he left the room in a rush." The doctors shook their heads in disbelief, "Dr. Isagi, please run a MRI scan on Kanna," the doctor with the framed glasses then turned to the female doctor, "Dr. Ichio, we will perform another test for high platelet and white bloodcells." Kagome grimaced in pain as Kanna clenched on her hands tightly. She looked up to the silent female before her, "Kanna? What is it?" she whispered tentatively.

Kanna shook her head slowly, "Nn..oo..bl..ud..sh...ots," she managed to muster. Kagome caught on and called after the doctors, "Doctors, please wait!" they turned around and stared at her, "yes?" Kagome cleared her throat to get rid of the lump that was lodged there, "she... Kanna. She doesn't want the bloodtest. She said, no blood shots."

The doctors stiffened, "Why is it that she will only talk to you?" Dr. Ichio called out. Kagome shrugged and looked at Kanna's face, "I don't know. I honestly don't know..."

-0-0-0-0-0-

The drive home was in complete silence, a whole hour of quiet yet comfortable silence. Bankotsu double parked in front of Kagome's worn down house and braked his car. He sighed, "Kagome, I'm sorry if I scared you back there. I was just so excited that Kanna spoke." Kagome smiled, "It's alright Bankotsu.

Hasn't she been speaking to you as well?" Bankotsu shook his head, "this is the first time I've heard her speak in such a long time Kagome."

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that," Kagome mumbled. Bankotsu let out a hearty laugh, "Don't be sorry Kagome! Kanna responds to you for some odd reason, she spoke! The doctors told me several months ago she can only break out of her shell when she begins to speak again. And god Kagome! Thank you so much!" Bankotsu reached over and pulled Kagome in a happy embrace, laughing merrily. Kagome blushed at the contact and leaned into his embrace, "Thank me for what?"

"Thank you for being here, for being you, for helping Kanna," Kagome's blushed deepened, "Oh no I didn't do anything." Bankotsu pulled back from their embrace and sighed, "you're a miracle to me and Kanna, Kagome. Thank you so much" he reached over and brushed his lips against her cheeks. Kagome stiffened,

"Isn't this too much for a 'thank you'?" she joked. Bankotsu blushed, "yeah, I suppose it was. Sorry." Kagome shook her head, "don't be. Well, Good night!" she stepped out of Bankotsu's car and slammed the door as softly as she could. Kagome waved goodbye and he waved back and drove off in the distance, 'How nice...' she thought. Kagome reached the front door and inserted her keys and twisted the door knob.

She smiled when she saw Souta and Kohaku chatting away nosily on the couch playing Chinese poker.

"Oh Kagome, you're back!" Sango greeted from the kitchen doorway. Kagome nodded, "hi guys." She walked over and ruffled Souta and Kohaku's hair earning a growl from the growing boys. Sango hugged best friend, "So, tell me all about it!"

Kagome sighed, "over dinner?" Sango grinned, "Of course! Come on guys let's eat!" The boys cheered and raced the the small kitchen and sat down waiting for their shares. Souta stuffed his face with his favorite dish, preserved bean curd and thinly sliced white carrots and asparagus, then his face lite up suddenly,

"Oh yea Kagome! Some guy with a really deep voice from your school said to go in several minutes early so he can talk to you in the Principal's office," he coughed as he choked from trying to talk and swallow at the same time. Kagome raised an eyebrow, "deep voice?" she shrugged it off, 'I'll go in earlier, no harm done.'

The boys soon finished their dinner and raced off to the living room to watch tv. Sango and Kagome cleared the table and began washing the dishes, "So... tell me Kagome. What happened on your first day of school?" Sango drawled out.

"A lot of things Sango.. a lot..." Kagome sighed.

Sang rolled her eyes, "Stop being such a drama queen and tell me already!! Start from the beginning!" Kagome began telling Sango about her whole day, from breaking the car window to beating up the brothers. Kagome and Sango squealed in laughter in Kagome's room as she finished her story.

"Oh my god Kagome, I can't believe you did that!" Sango laughed as she clutched on to her aching stomach. "I'm so dead tomorrow though Sango," Kagome whined and flopped down her bed. Sango shrugged, "But Kagome, you won't give in to them. Tell me more about this Bankotsu," she changed the subject. Kagome shrugged,

"Nothing much about him Sango. He helped me with finding me the job, defending me against Sesshoumaru, and well not being a prick," she said casually. Sango stared at her best friend suspiciously, "How does he know you needed a job?"

"I told him remember?" Kagome chided and knocked Sango's head softly. Sango giggled, "Oh yeah! But then again, a waitress job at $60 an hour... that's insane, I bet he owns the place." Kagome tilted her head, "Now that I think about it... he found the job for me a few hours after I tol dim. That's kinda strange isn't it?" Sango nodded in agreement.

"Well, I'm tired, scoot over Kagome! Stop hogging the bed!" Sango complained as she jumped under the blankets. Kagome scowled then laughed lightly, "Good night Sango." She reached over the night table and switched the lamp off and snuggled under the blankets with Sango.

-0-0-0-0-0-

"Kagome!! wake up lazy butt! You're going to be late for being early," Sango yelled towards the stairs. Kagome scrambled out of bed, "What time is it?!" she looked at the digital clock on the night stand; it read 7:32 a.m. "Oh my gosh!" Kagome raced to the bathroom and rushed to do her morning rituals. She raced down the stairs and into the kitchen and found a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich sitting on the table. "Kagome eat it, oh I took your dirty uniform to the dry cleaners earlier this morning, it's on the couch." Kagome stuffed the peanut-butter sandwich in her mouth and finished it in a few bites and gulps, "fank wu!" she squealed in gratitude and took the uniform to her room and changed into her uniform.

"I'm leaving, bye Sango!" Kagome called out as she slipped on her uniform heels, "I still hate wearing heels during school" she mumbled darkly.

-0-0-0-0-0-

Kagome knocked on the grand mahogany door and waited for a reply. She stood for several seconds only but to her it felt like hours.

"Enter," a loud baritone voice sounded from the other side of the door. Kagome swallowed nervously and pushed the doors and entered the massive room. Kagome's eyes glowed with astonishment as shelves of books mounted against the walls reflected the light from the sun to Kagome's eyes, "Wow..." that was the only word she could muster out.

"Do you enjoy looking at books, or reading them, Ms. Higurashi?" the baritone voice interrupted her musings. Kagome blushed, "Sorry sir," she bowed apologetically. Kagome squinted her eyes to try to get a better look of the prinicipal but the window behind the study desk allowed massive amounts of light into the room. Kagome only saw the dark shadow amongst the blinding light.

"Sorry, the light must be in your way," he stepped out to of the light and walked towards Kagome until he was only two feet away, "Is this better?" Kagome gasped at her principals image."Y..yes" she managed to answer, 'He looks exactly like Sesshoumaru... but older.'

The principal chuckled, "let me introduce myself, I am Principal Taishou, Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha's father, and President and Founder of Taishou Inc." he extended his hand out to Kagome. Kagome hesitantly shook his hand, "I never met such an important person before Mr. Taishou" she said before thinking. The elder man laughed, "everyone is important in this world Ms. Higurashi. More importantly I asked you to come is to speak with you about my son, Sesshoumaru." He walked to the back of his study and pulled out a thin folder, "here" he handed the folder to Kagome and motioned for her to sit.

Kagome sat on the comfortable leather chair and opened the folder. There was only one piece of paper and it listed Sesshoumaru's impressive grades on tests, but poor grade point averages for each class, "What's this?" Mr. Taishou shielded the blinding light from the window with a grey translucent curtain allowing certain amount of light in the room.

"Sesshoumaru has great knowledge, yet he refuses to attend all his classes. These test scores were taken on the same day without breaks. It took him several hours but he aced them all. He skipped all those classes and managed to pass the midterms," the principal sighed "I am worried this behavior will be embedded in him when he inherits the company."

Kagome gasped, "inherit the company? Sir, how old is he?" Mr. Taishou smiled, "He is 19 as of several months ago."

"That's too young to even consider inheriting a company sir," Kagome exclaimed. Mr. Taishou raised an elegant eyebrow, "is that so Ms. Higurashi? My company is a very important aspect in this country. Everyone dreams of affordable insurance that doesn't cut corners, and I supply it. I will need Sesshoumaru to be ready to inherit the company."

"Sir, if you don't mind me speaking freely. Sesshoumaru is an arrogant stuck up prick who does not even understand a little the hardships of being poor. Though I know him for only one day, he doesn't seem like the type that will change just to inherit a company," Kagome exclaimed. Mr. Taishou laughed, "I like the way you talk my girl."

Kagome blushed bashfully, "Hm... heh." Mr. Taishou chuckled and cleared his throat, "That is why Ms. Higurashi, I need you to help me change Sesshoumaru. I need him to understand that the foundation of this country, the world starts from the poor. The poor who works hard to make something out of themselves. I regret and admit that I have spoiled him and his brother since they were born. They don't know the meaning of hardships, yet I am not strong enough to cut off their assets. So Ms. Higurashi, for a good cause help me make Sesshoumaru understand." Kagome gulped, "Such a hard task for such a nobody..." Mr. Taishou chuckled,

"You are not a nobody Ms. Higurashi. I have faith in you," he walked over to Kagome and placed a hand on her shoulder, "I KNOW for sure, you can change Sesshoumaru. Though it may take time, are you willing to help me?" Kagome gulped, 'For the good of his company... Then again it would be amazing to see the stuck up prick owning and running a company that needs the help of the poorer population. I should, for the good of the poorer population.' Kagome stared at her principal directly in his eyes,

"I'll do it," she pledged.

.

.

.

MS - Done! yay! another chappy!

Someone brought up that there was a lot of Bankotsu and Kagome from chapter one to four.

Truthfully, yes there is. But i had to build a solid foundation of their friendship. As you can see Kagome and Sango are really close, close enough to share houses, beds and food O_O

.

Please review guys, if you like this story tell your friends about it. I hate to see my Hit rates drop.... it's so painful..

... my little heart might just break....