- Text Size +

MS- Aww.. i wish i get more reviews for this story, I love writing it!

.

I hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I do writing it...

.

Enjoy this Chapter!

Beneath It All
MiserablySweet

Chapter 6- The Innocent Prank

Previously...

"You are not a nobody Ms. Higurashi. I have faith in you," he walked over to Kagome and placed a hand on her shoulder, "I KNOW for sure, you can change Sesshoumaru. Though it may take time, are you willing to help me?" Kagome gulped, 'For the good of his company... Then again it would be amazing to see the stuck up prick owning and running a company that needs the help of the poorer population. I should, for the good of the poorer population.' Kagome stared at her principal directly in his eyes,

"I'll do it," she pledged.

.

Present...

Kagome sighed as she took her time to head to her first class. She pondered over why the Principal will want her to change Sesshoumaru, 'There are other poor girls in the school aren't there?' Kagome snorted, "yeah right, when pigs fly." She turned the doorknob of her classroom and entered, a little wary of the fact there were no one else in school this early. "Not even teachers, huh?" Kagome shrugged and carelessly threw that thought out of her mind. She strolled to her seat and placed her bag on top of the table and noticed outside one of the large windows was a beautiful red maple tree in a small meadow.

"A meadow in the middle of the school premises?" Kagome questioned with incredibility. She opened the window and leaned out to notice there were no doors on the three walls she saw but she did notice some benches alongside the walls, "if there is no doors, why would there be benches in there?" She pulled herself back from the ledge of the window and scanned the room. Kagome glowed in triumph when she noticed a door with the same color of the walls of the room was hidden behind a curtain. She twisted the knob and entered the small meadow, "Wow..." she breathed.

Maple leaves floated with the waves of the wind around the meadow. 'Amongst this pompous school, there is some peace and something that's not affected by the wealth of the students,' she thought bitterly as she sat down under the shady maple tree. She leaned against the bark and sighed. These few days were hectic from her. Strangely the maple tree reminded her the morning when Sesshoumaru stole her first kiss. Kagome snorted, "First kiss? I have no time to worry about first kiss. Besides it wasn't even a kiss! It was a... a peck! Yeah that's it!" she conversed to herself. Her first kiss was the least of her worries, she had other more important matters to deal with.

"What to do with Sesshoumaru...," she pondered and let her eyes droop close. Kagome relaxed against the cool bark of the tree as she recalled her principal's very words.

"I'll do it," she pledged. Her principal chuckled at her determination, "However, Ms. Higurashi I do agree with you that he is much too young to inherit the company now. I do plan to live much much longer" he joked. Kagome blushed at her forwardness, 'Heh... I made him sound like he was going to die in several years.' She glanced over to his desk and saw his name tag, 'Touga Taishou'. Kagome smiled, "What a regal name..."

Touga cleared his throat, "Ms. Higurashi, our school's annual Autumn Sports festival is coming up and I would like it very much so if you are able to convince Sesshoumaru to participate." Kagome tilted her head,

"Autumn Sports festival?" she questioned. Touga nodded his head, "The whole school gathers together in the school field. Our school is basically divided into two... how you say 'categories'. The brutal, physical contact of sports or the inspiring elegant theme of music" he explained in a very light excited tone. Kagome raised an eyebrow at his enlighted face, "How does this involve Sesshoumaru?"

"Our students are either Pro Sports or Pro Music, those who are in between are usually outcasts and us as teachers and principals can't do anything about that. The group of friends both my sons trust are the outcasts, but they are the 'popular' outcasts. Both teams want the group of handsome teens to join them and they can't decide, so Sesshoumaru sits out of these festivals" Touga explained and folded his arms in front of his chest. Kagome snorted softly at the word "handsome,"

'They think they run the school,' she thought bitterly. "So... you want me to convince Sesshoumaru to participate in this festival on one side?" Touga nodded his head, "If Sesshoumaru joins, the rest of them will follow."

"Like dogs," she mumbled darkly. Touga laughed, "Yes something like that. Are you up to it?" Kagome laughed sheepishly, "Do I have a choice sir?"

Touga shook his head, "No, no you don't. And if you succeed, you will be rewarded handsomely." She titled her head slightly wondering what her reward could possibly be.

"I suppose it won't hurt to try... Alright, I'll give it a shot" she beamed at her principal. Touga nodded in approval and dismissed her, "Ms. Higurashi, this will be a very interesting year..." he whispered as she closed the large office doors.

Kagome sighed and felt herself grow too comfortable, "After breaking his window, hurting his hand, holding his car for ransom, then dumping garbage all over him and his little brother... I highly doubt I can (yawn)... I doubt I can convince him to scoot over in the hallways..." Kagome drifted asleep in the comfortable lull of leaves rustling in the wind.

-0-0-0-0-0-

Sesshoumaru snorted as he sat quietly in Inuyasha's car. The morning breeze made their way through the car window and lifted Sesshoumaru's silver strands. His eyes trailed down to his small slight that a brown layer of scab covered over it, 'Today will be rather entertaining' he smirked and glance at the backseat of Inuyasha's car through the car mirror. There were several large piles of shaving cream, red paint and nail polish remover.

"Inuyasha," Sesshoumaru glanced at his brother from the corner of his eye.

"Yo," he nodded. Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes at his brother's weird habits but let that thought slide for another day, "have you informed the others of the lunch plan?" Inuyasha nodded, "Yep. I didn't tell Bankotsu though." Sesshoumaru donned on an evil smirk, "Good, he won't be in our way then. But we have to find a way to distract him from going to the cafeteria."

Inuyasha nodded, "Yep, Maten and Hiten will do that part." Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes, "You told Maten and Hiten?" Inuyasha shook his head,

"Nope, I'll call them to call Bankotsu and say something's wrong at the shop or something." Sesshoumaru snorted, "What makes you think the brothers will listen to you?" Inuyasha smirked, "They owe me a favor." Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes as his unusual smirk, 'Brothers... can't live with them, can't plan with them either.'

-0-0-0-0-0-

Sesshoumaru and the rest of the group noisily entered the still deserted classroom, "Wow we're early for once" Kouga joked as he sank into his cushioned chair and lifted his legs and placed it on top of the table. Inuyasha casually leaned against the mahogany table, "So, how do we plan this thing?" Kouga, Miroku and Inuyasha chattered noisily about the details of their prank.

Sesshoumaru left the group and turned the knob of the door that leads to the red maple tree. "Yo Sess?" Inuyasha called out. Sesshoumaru ignored his brother and shut the door upon entering the small meadow shielded by walls. Sesshoumaru inhaled deeply and embraced the sun's ray on his pale skin. He headed towards the maple tree but noticed dark strands of hair that floated along with the wind. He narrowed his eyes and crept closer to what he assume to be an animal behind the maple tree. The scent of jasmine drifted to his nose as he inched closer the the tree, the hair of the so called animal was longer than he expected. A pair of long slender legs emerged behind the base of the tree.

Sesshoumaru growled when he realized it was her. 'How did she find this place? This was supposed to be secluded and I'm the only one who is allowed in here,' he shoved her roughly with the tip of his shoes, "Wake up." Kagome stirred softly be remained in a deep slumber. The breeze picked up causing Kagome to sneeze unexpectedly. Sesshoumaru groaned and attempted to wake her again.

"Wake up!" he called louder than before and shook her shoulders sharply. But Kagome remained asleep and that annoyed Sesshoumaru to no end. 'How can she not hear me?!' He crouched down and cupped her head in his large hands and smirked. A small trail of drool glistened and Sesshoumaru couldn't resist. He pulled out his cellphone from his pocket and quickly took a snapshot of the sleeping Kagome. 'This will come in handy sometime later in the future,' he resumed his attention on her face, he pinched each ear on each hand respectively and pulled it away from her body harshly, "HEY PIG!" he yelled loudly.

Kagome squealed when she felt her ears were being pulled from it's natural position harshly. Sesshoumaru couldn't resist but guffawed at Kagome's face, eyes widen, her mouth dropped open, her ears stretched a little making her seem like a human Mickey Mouse. He released her ears and fell back on his rump and clutched his abdomen with his other arm supporting his weight behind him. Kagome growled, "That was rude you know!" But strangely felt happy when she heard his honest laugh.

Sesshoumaru cleared his throat smirked, "Don't flatter yourself." He stood up and straightened his uniform, "You don't belong here" he bluntly stated. Kagome raised an eyebrow, "I'm a student in this school just like you. I do belong here." Kagome stood up and defiantly stared at him. Sesshoumaru growled,

"No, you don't belong here. This place. No one is allowed here but me," he enunciated the words 'here, no one' and 'me'. Kagome was shocked to say the least, "What makes you think I step in this place, huh? You don't know this property!" she challenged forgetting his father was the principal of the school.

"Au contraire, my father owns this school. The property in which the school stands belong to my father," he said arrogantly. Kagome chided herself, 'Dang it, I forgot about it...'

"Well your father own it, not you. So HA!" Kagome spatted and rushed towards the door that leads back into the classroom. Sesshoumaru swiftly turned around and caught her by her wrist and jerked her back to him.

"I wasn't finished," he angrily growled. Kagome gave him a defiant glare, "Like I care?" They stared at each other for several long seconds before the bell rung, signaling the beginning of the first class which they unfortunately are in. The stare was only a few seconds but to Sesshoumaru, it felt like hours. Kagome jerked her wrist back to her body and rushed towards the door.

"Why didn't I counter her?" he wondered out loud at his own stupidity. 'It matters not, she will know not to mess with me soon,' he smirked and anticipated lunchtime.

-0-0-0-0-0-

"Oh Kagome! I never knew you were so smart!" Shiori complemented as they headed out of the class together. Kagome blushed, "No not at all Shiori..." Bankotsu called for Kagome to wait for him.

"Good afternoon Kagome," he greeted with a friendly tone. Kagome returned his greetings, "Good afternoon Bankotsu, it's lunchtime... do you want to head down with us?" Bankotsu shook his head, "Hiten... uh... asked me to help with his lounge, something came up he said." He tried to cover the fact that he was the owner of the lounge and not Hiten or Maten. "Oh alright then... I'll head down with Shiori," Kagome waved goodbye to Bankotsu while he called to her, "I'll catch you later!"

Sesshoumaru and the others smirked, "It's time..." Sesshoumaru nodded to Miroku and Kouga, both rushed ahead of Kagome and Shiori who both didn't think much of it. Miroku smirked as he shook the two cans of shaving cream, one on each hand. He popped the cap quickly and emptied the contents all over the first step of the stairs, the side Kagome was on. Kouga grunted as he hauled the bucket of red paint towards the ceiling and secured the rope that was attached to the handle and over a railing. He then emptied dozens of bottles of nail polish remover in a similar bucket and hauled it to the ceiling like what he did with the red paint bucket. Miroku and Kouga high fived each over and Miroku rushed behind fenced wall and held on to the rope that secured the red paint bucket, while Kouga did the same with the nail polish remover bucket.

Sesshoumaru almost felt sorry for Kagome. Almost. When he got closer to the stairs he thought he detected a little bit of cigarette smoke but didn't think too much of it, 'Who would be an idiot and smoke in the school stairs?' Kouga and Miroku looked at each other thinking the same thing when they too smelled the offending scent.

"Hey Kouga, do you think we should check if there is someone smoking down there?" Miroku whispered. Kouga shrugged, "I don't anyone will be stupid enough to smoke in the school." Miroku nodded in agreement and settled in, waiting for the perfect moment. Sesshoumaru was feeling awfully uncomfortable as he saw Kagome and Shiori near the staircase. He was fearing the worse, something was indeed smoking at the bottom of those stairs, then he saw it, smoke. His eyes widen and his heartbeat quickened as the adrenaline rushed through his veins.

"You there!" he called out to Kagome. She turned around and noticed Sesshoumaru rushing towards her with such a expression, she was startled. Kagome stepped back several steps... "KAGOME!" Shirori cried out. Kagome slipped on the shaving cream and sent herself tumbling down the stairs. Kouga and Miroku didn't notice Sesshoumaru's frantic waves and yells for them to stop and they pulled the ropes that secured the buckets of foul smelling liquid. Blood red pain poured out of the bucket and onto Kagome as she continue to roll down the stairs. Nail polish remover drenched her hair and thinned some of the red paint from her clothes. Kagome clenched her mouth and eyes shut fearing if she opened them the foul liquid will invade her body.

Sesshoumaru dashed towards the stairs, "Someone is smoking down there!" he called out to Kouga and Miroku who both grew frantic. They rushed to the flight of stairs on the other side to check, but no one was there. Kagome cried out in pain as she felt a sharp jam at her ribs, 'Don't tell me it's broken...' Bitter tasting nail polish remover slipped into her mouth and Kagome coughed and gagged, attempting to drain the contents from her mouth. Kagome groaned in pain as she came to a halt when she came to a dead end, with a back door leading to the end of the cafeteria.

Sesshoumaru rushed down the stairs, almost slipping himself to Kagome. There she was laying on the floor covered in red and clutching her ribs. He felt guilty, extremely guilty. Sesshoumaru sighed with relief when he discovered no one was at the bottom smoking. He reached over to the uncomfortable Kagome, "hey..." he whispered softly. He didn't expect her to get injured, well he did but he expected a couple of bruises. Sesshoumaru bent down and noticed she was not releasing her rip on her side, mainly around her rib cage.

"Does it hurt?" he poked the side softly earning a sharp cry from Kagome, "Get AWAY!" Kagome knew. She knew it was him who organized this prank. She felt tears sting her eyes, how can someone... no a student do this to another student? Sesshoumaru swallowed the lump in his throat, "let me help you" he offered and slipped an arm under her knees. Kagome refused and kicked him forcefully back, "Get away I said!" Sesshoumaru stumbled back, "Look, I didn't mean for the prank to go this far! Now stay still and let me help you to the infirmary!" He bent down to try to pick Kagome up again.

"SESSHOUMARU!!" He heard Miroku cry, 'What in the world?' was his last thought before the scent of burning paint invaded his nose. Miroku's eyes widen as he saw a cigarette stub float down from the flight of stairs above and down on the staircase that had the shaving cream. Miroku held his breath as he saw the stub roll down the steps, 1... 2... 3... the stub touched the red paint only slightly. Miroku sighed in relief as stub didn't ignite the paint, "phew..." His relief was thrown out the window as a spark flashed from the paint and started to spread quickly down the staircase, eating the trail of red paint and nailpolish remover on its way.

"FIRE SESSHOUMARU!" Kouga cried, 'Oh my freaking god.' Kouga's hand flew up to his hair and he gripped his strands painfully, he grew very very frantic. "SOMEONE! Call the fire department! There is two people trapped down there!!!"

Sesshoumaru heard every word and felt his blood grow cold, he caused this. He rushed over to the door and attempts to open it. It didn't budge. Sesshoumaru tried again this time with more force, not a single creak. Adrenaline rushed through his blood as he reacted quickly without thinking, he removed everything on him that had any traces of flammable paint, only his shoes. Then he looked at Kagome, she was covered head to toe with red paint. Sesshoumaru quickly glanced at the top of the staircase, he saw the golden flame flicker on top of that flight. He reached down to Kagome and hauled her drenched shirt over her head and threw it on top of the stairs, next her skirt. Kagome protested, but was helpless. Her ribs ached horribly and she let him continue. Kagome was too much in pain from her broken rib to scream for help to save them from the fire. Sesshoumaru threw Kagome's skirt, socks and shoes to the flame that progressed another two feet down the stairs.

Smoke filled the narrow staircase as he scanned the floor, there was about a good 2 feet of clean flooring, untouched by the flammable liquids. He looked down at the very scared Kagome who stared at him with such helpless eyes. "God dammit!" he banged the locked door, "SOMEBODY OPEN THE DOOR!" Another several seconds past, nothing. No response. Kagome coughed and gasped for air as the oxygen in the staircase was diminishing due the the burning fire. They were trapped, like a hamster in a hamster ball in a cardboard box. Sesshoumaru shrugged off his wool vest and picked up Kagome in bridal style, "we're going to die..." Kagome whispered helplessly and buried her face in his neck.

"No, I won't let you," He covered Kagome with his vest, wool was the least flammable natural fiber out there, he hope that will protect her for now. "KOUGA, MIROKU, OPEN THIS DOOR!!" he yelled as loudly as he could, his voice was hoarse from the large amounts of deadly smoke he inhaled. Miroku and Kouga rushed around to the other flight of stairs on the other side of the building, which the fastest runner of the school will take as long as two minutes to reach the flight of stairs.

'Can they wait that long?' Miroku prayed to god they can survive. Sesshoumaru coughed as the fire was only two feet away from him and Kagome. The only thing protecting them now was the small patch of clean floor, it was shorter than two feet. If they didn't get burned alive, they would've died from smoke inhalation. Sesshoumaru clutched Kagome closer to his body, hoping she can live through this horrifying ordeal. "Kagome" he called out, she was unresponsive and limp. He looked down at the unconscious girl in his arms, her lips was stained a dark hue. Not good, she was dying from the lack of oxygen. Sesshoumaru felt himself grow weaker by the second as the smoke was affecting him as well. He continued to pound on the door, no response.

The flame flickered closer to the two, "I'm sorry..." he whispered in her ears. Never before seen tenderness radianted out of his eyes as he caressed Kagome's pale cheeks, "I'm very very sorry." He was the cause of her death, and his as well. He was a murderer. He slid down to the ground, with his back to the door. His mind was in a haze, he couldn't think straight. His body was shutting itself down to preserve what little oxygen was left in the narrow staircase, his eyes were drooping...

Miroku and Kouga reached the door. Dark smoke poured out from the small crack between the floor and the bottom of the door. "Sesshoumaru!!! HOLD ON!!" Miroku cried out as he attempted to pull the door. It wouldn't budge. Kouga and Miroku together pushed it door, nothing. Something was wrong, the door wouldn't budge and they couldn't hear any sounds from the other side. They were fearing the worse. Miroku groaned loudly in frustration and suddenly he noticed it, a ray of hope hanging on a hook several yards away from the door. Miroku dashed towards the set of keys and tossed it to Kouga who caught it with ease. Kouga fumbled with the keys, there were too many. One... Two... three... four... seconds ticked away as the keys failed to open the door.

Miroku banged on the door, "HOLD ON SESSHOUMARU!!" he yelled as loud as possible hoping they didn't give up yet. Sesshoumaru's eyes widen suddenly as his head felt a little impact from the other side. He heard Miroku's voice, he can't give up, "OPEN THE DOOR!" he cried.

"IT'S LOCKED! WE DON'T KNOW WHICH KEY TO USE!" Miroku replied. Sesshoumaru coughed, his chest heaving from the lack of oxygen, his body was forcing itself to shutdown again, 'Key... which key...' he tried hard to remember the set of keys his father explained to him.

'My freaking god why didn't I pay more attention?!' He slammed his fist on the door. The flame crept several inches away from his knee a large flicker singed his knee and he cried out sharply, a sudden flash of memory jogged through his head, a silver key with a triangular head.

"SILVER!! TRIANGULAR HEAD!" he yelled through clenched teeth, his knee was badly burned. Kouga fumbled through the set of keys, there were four silver keys, but none of them had a triangular head. Kouga tried them anyway. Nothing. Kouga growled and grabbed the doorknob and shook it vigorously, "GOD DAMMIT!"

Miroku sank to his knees, 'I killed them...' he thought with guilt spilling out of his eyes. Loud yells sounded across the cafeteria and caught the attention of Miroku and Kouga. Half dozen men in yellow uniform rushed towards them holding a crowbar.

"SESSHOUMARU! HELP'S ON THE WAY!! STAY AWAKE!" Kouga pounded on the door continuously hoping the loud booms will keep them awake. Kouga cringed in pain as the heat of the metal door burned his skin slightly. Sesshoumaru gasped for breath, he was losing it. He was slipping into unconsciousness despite the loud booms from his friend. The golden flames was mere inches away from him and Kagome. "Kagome..." he whispered and looked down at the pale female in his arms.

"It was supposed to be a small prank..." he whispered before he slipped into the world of darkness.

.

.

.

MS - OH NO!!! MY SESSHYY!!! KAGOME!!!

Will they survive?

.

Please review guys, review review!!! I want to know what you guys think!!!