- Text Size +
Chapter 4:  Companions of the Feline Persuasion  Thwack!  Thwack!  Thwack! 

            Kagome was in a good mood today.  Probably the best she has felt since coming back.  After breakfast, she decided to practice with her bow.  Just because she wasn’t in the feudal era anymore didn’t mean she should just let her hard-earned skill go to waste.  Who knows, perhaps she would find a use for her archery.

 Thwack!  Thwack! 

            She placed down her bow and moved towards the tree she was practicing on to retrieve her arrows.  In the middle of pulling out her fifth, and last, arrow she felt something.  She paused as a well-known feeling welled up in the back of her mind, a familiar tickle.

 

            No, that can’t be right… there aren’t any demons here.  Kagome looked to the skies.  After a minute or so she spotted the aura that she was sensing.  A smile made its’ way to her lips.

 

            A large, black fire-cat demon with blue markings was flying toward her.  Kagome ran to it as it landed in the yard.  After reverting to its’ smaller form, the demonic feline jumped into her arms, purring contentedly.

           

            “What are you doing here, huh, Kaoru?” Kagome snuggled him close.  “I thought you were going to stay and help Jii-chan?”

 

            Kaoru looked up at his master with doleful grey eyes before mewing innocently.

 

            She looked down at Kirara’s cub remembering when they had first met.

 ~~             “Kagome is something the matter?”  Her best friend, Sango, peered over at her, concerned with Kagome’s continued silent behavior that day.             Letting out a sigh, she looked over to the slayer.  “I’m fine.  Hey, Sango, you up for a bath?  I’d like to go to the hot springs.”             Sango agreed, knowing that something was bothering the younger girl and that that something wasn’t something Kagome wanted to discuss with everyone.  So the pair made their way to the hot springs, all the bathing supplies in tow.             “Okay, now,” Sango began as soon as they were both settled in the water.  “Spill it, what’s bothering you?”             The miko sighed yet again, for what felt like the umpteenth time today.  “Buyou.”  Seeing her friend’s confused look, she elaborated.  “My cat, he died.  I know, it sounds stupid that I’d be all depressed because of some house pet, but I’ve had him since… well, forever.”             Sango frowned.  “That doesn’t sound stupid to me.  If anything were to happen to Kirara, I’d be devastated.”             “Yeah, but Kirara’s more than just a pet.” Kagome justified.  “Buyou was just a big, fat, lazy, house cat who’d always tickle me with his fur when I was trying to sleep.”  She started chuckling, and unknown to her, a few tears rolled down her cheeks.             The young demon slayer watched her friend while formulating a plan.  She hummed in thought, and the rest of their bath went just as quietly as the day. ---A Few Weeks Later---             Inuyasha was grumbling impatiently as their group (minus two) sat around the campfire.  “She was supposed to be back yesterday.” He complained.  “I let her go back to her village for a little bit and she takes up a whole week.  She’s almost as bad as you, wench, with those ‘tests’ you always have to take…” 

            Kagome just rolled her eyes at the half demon’s childish ranting.  Although, she was getting a little worried for her companion.  What could’ve happened to keep Sango away this long?

 She sighed, and then settled down into her sleeping bag.  She had faith in her and Kirara’s abilities, all Kagome could do was hope they’d return soon. Time passed by slowly as the group slept through the night.  Early morning, a few scant hours after the break of dawn, Kagome stirred in her sleep.  There was wetness on her cheeks. Is it raining?  No… something… something’s licking me?!  Blue eyes quickly sprang open before she blinked rapidly, trying to adjust to the sunlight.  Looking down her nose, she gazed at a black fuzz ball that was sitting on her chest.  She slowly sat up, so it wouldn’t tumble off of her. 

So small…  Kagome started petting it.  Yawning, it lifted its’ head and showed off his white fangs and tiny pink tongue.  The miko giggled as his blue-tipped ears twitched.  He looks like…

 “Ahem.”  Kagome glanced up to see Sango’s brown eyes smiling down at her in amusement.  “I can see you’re having fun.” Kagome grinned sheepishly before responding.  “Is this what took you so long?” Sango nodded and bent down to scratch the demon kitten behind the ears.  “And before you start, Kirara’s fine.  After a day’s rest she’ll be better than ever.” Kagome opened her mouth to speak, only to be stopped again. “Demons, such as Kirara, have extremely quick pregnancies, the only thing that takes long is finding another demon that’s to their liking.  It took Kirara four days and about twenty-three dead cat demons before she settled.” “He’s adorable…”  Kagome cooed, scratching the furry kitten.  “I think I’ll call him Kaoru, I’ve always liked that name.” 

She knew why Sango had done this for her, so she needn’t ask.  “Thank you so much.”  Kagome go up, holding Kaoru in one arm, and reached over to hug the slayer.  “I love him, you really didn’t have to do that, but thank you so much.”

 The older girl embraced her right back, careful not to squish the kitten in her arm.  “I’m glad you’re happy with him.  I know it’s mean to get a replacement, but you were so sad, and…” Kagome beamed and shook her head.  “Not now.  Not anymore.  You’re the best ever, like the sister I never had.” Pride filled Sango, knowing the girl before her saw her as family.  “You, too, little sister.  I’m just glad you’ve got someone to watch over you now when you go back through the well.” Both satisfied with one another, the two girls began fawning over fire-cat kitten.  The entire morning was spent playing with him, until a certain deject-feeling half demon saw fit to get moving. ~~ 

            The memory faded in Kagome’s mind just as soon as it had submerged.  Sighing to herself, she absentmindedly stroked Kaoru.  The blue eyed teenager shook her head as if to rid herself of the sadness that had started to pour over her happy day.

             Grabbing her things, Kagome and Kaoru made their way back into the house.  Kaoru, still in her arms, had quickly fallen into an exhausted sleep.  Traveling so far, he must be so worn out… 

            Fussing over the kitten, who had spent four days and three nights (straight) wandering, Kagome left the yard, forgetting the last arrow, still embedded in the tree.

 

--