- Text Size +

L  O  V  E     S  O  O  N     L  O  S  T

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

In feudal Japan, a group of young demon-slayers is walking through a dense forest in the Western Lands, which is ruled by the group’s leader’s half brother, Sesshoumaru. Inuyasha’s brother doesn’t take kindly to unwanted visitors on his land, especially his hanyou of a half brother. Taking care to be inconspicuous, the group quietly roams the forest, in search of the evil hanyou, Naraku.

Walking through the forest, Inuyasha took a whiff of the air. He growled, “I smell blood…” The rest of the group stopped in their tracks, afraid and apprehensive about why there was blood and who it was from.

They were suddenly aware that the forest was abnormally quiet. This forest was normally teaming with youkai. “I don’t sense any youkai,” whispered the houshi, Miroku. “I can’t either,” said the miko, Kagome. “I don’t smell any demons,” said Inuyasha and Shippou, the kitsune. Sango, a young girl of about 16, had no input. She was only a taiji, an excellent one, but had no ability to sense or smell demons.

All were wondering the same thing. “Did Sesshoumaru kill all of them? Was Sesshoumaru as evil as Naraku? Or was it Naraku?” Either way, it was very bad. So far, they hadn’t been able to defeat Naraku, and Sesshoumaru’s power far surpassed Naraku’s. What if it HAD been Sesshoumaru? How would they defeat him?

They were walking in the forest, and Inuyasha began to grow more wary. “What’s wrong Inuyasha?” asked Kagome. As he was about to answer, Kagome let out a gasp. She was at the head of the group, and saw the gruesome spectacle first.

She had inadvertently walked into a mass grave. There was fresh blood dripping from the trees, and bodies strewn carelessly about the clearing. The stench of death- putrid, rancid, nauseatingly sweet scent of blood- was everywhere, making the entire group swallow against the urge to vomit.

Kagome looked down in an attempt to avoid the grotesque scene. But as her eyes met with the floor, she found her shoes were covered in blood and guts. There was an eyeball squishing out from under her shoe. Her eyes widening, she whispered “Inuyasha,” and fainted.

“KAGOME!” Inuyasha yelled. “Kagome, are you ok?” Her eyelids fluttered a bit. After a minute that seemed an hour, they opened all the way. “Please tell me it was a nightmare,” she pleaded as her gaze went to Inuyasha’s face. But try as she might, she could still see the blood beyond his beautiful golden eyes and lovely white hair.

Distracted by Kagome’s fainting spell, none of the group noticed a demon coming up on them. When it was near enough to take the whole group out in one swing, Inuyasha abruptly turned around, dropping Kagome in the process, and drew his sword, Tetsuaiga. As he drew the sword, it transformed to 3 times its regular size, gaining fur around the hilt, and far more power than any normal sword possessed.

Ready to fight, Inuyasha cursed and swung blindly at the demon. Surprised that the hanyou had noticed his presence, the youkai dodged easily. “Tanechigai! Lower your sword!” said the demon.

Tanechigai? Thought Inuyasha. Turning around, “Sesshoumaru! What are you doing here?” Inuyasha yelled.

There stood Sesshoumaru. Over seven feet tall, dressed in a white haori- with red trim around the flowing sleeves and the neck- and white hakama pants with a blue and gold obi tied around his armor. His face, the ever-blank mask of boredom, had two maroon stripes under both eyes, and a blue crescent moon in the center of his forehead. And his silver hair, the only thing he had in common with his half-brother, hung loose, as always, nearly to his knees.

“Are these not my lands? What business have you here?” replied Sesshoumaru.

 “Not that it’s any of your business, but we are hunting, Naraku, hiretsukan.” Spat Inuyasha, his face turning red from anger.

“Do not speak to me in that manner, scum. I could easily kill you right now.” Sesshoumaru replied as his only hand began to glow a bright green.

“STOP IT!” said Kagome. “I don’t want you two to fight right now!” “Shut up, Kagome. I’m gonna kill this baka once and for all!” Responded Inuyasha.

Kagome had had enough. Balling her fists, her face she yelled, “SIT BOY!” And with a resounding thud, Inuyasha was thrown to the ground by the spell.

 

* * *

 

Days later, Kagome was walking alone in the intense forest while her friends were busy with other things. Finally being alone made Kagome realized that the reason she didn’t want the brothers to fight was that she had feelings for both of them. And she knew the day was coming when she’d have to choose. But what would she decide? How would she decide? She was already beginning to doubt if she COULD decide.

Later that same day, Kagome began to realize she sensed Sesshoumaru nearby. She didn’t know why she hadn’t sensed his aura sooner. He had a very unique aura. Luckily though, he was downwind of them, so Inuyasha didn’t catch his scent. She had the feeling he was following her, but she couldn’t figure out why. He couldn’t possibly have feelings for her could he? He always seemed so stoic, and emotionless, even cold. Was she delusional? Was she letting herself believe and hope for something that couldn’t possibly happen? It couldn’t… right?

“Kagome!”

Inuyasha calling her brought her out of her stupor. As she turned around, she saw Inuyasha was hiding something behind his back. Curious as to what he was concealing, she walked to him. From behind his back, he pulled a bouquet of beautiful orange lotus flowers.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome breathed. “They are beautiful!”

Blushing until his face was as red as his haori, Inuyasha shyly handed them to her. “I… I found these while I was looking for food. And they were so pretty… They reminded me of you-“ He stammered.

Before he could return to his usual brutish self, Kagome embraced him.

“Thank you, Inuyasha. I love them.” She carefully plucked a flower from the bunch and placed it in her wavy ebony hair.

“Wow,” said Inuyasha as his jaw nearly hit the floor.

“What was that for Inu?”

“It’s just… I didn’t think the flower could look so much more pretty than it already was…” Kagome was oddly pleased at his sudden timidity. Am I dreaming? That thought made her think of a quote. “If asking oneself ‘Am I dreaming?’ in a dream proves that one is, what does it prove in waking life?” She was now wondering if maybe she was constantly dreaming. And instantly became afraid. What if she WAS dreaming? What if Inu wasn’t really doing this?

 

* * *

 

Sesshoumaru continued to follow the group of demon slayers for a few days after his encounter with his brother in the clearing. He was beginning to wonder if Kagome or Inuyasha had noticed him nearby. Then, he rationalized, if that baka HAD noticed him nearby, he would have charged in head first, and probably gotten himself killed. Good, he thought, now I can have Kagome. Giving himself a mental shake, he quickly dismissed the thought of Kagome. I’m only following them so I can find Naraku and kill him for taking my other arm, he thought fiercely.

The sun was beginning to fall in the west -turning the sky brilliant shades of blue, purple, pink, orange and yellow- and Sesshoumaru hoped that they would make camp soon. He had other things to take care of.

 

* * *

 

“I sense a jewel shard! It’s a big one! It must be Naraku!” Exclaimed Kagome. Kami, he’s really close. “He’s getting closer everyone! Get ready!” Of course, Naraku just HAD to choose the time he knew we’d just be waking up. When nobody is ready for battle.

“How much longer Kagome?” Said Sango, as she tried to wake Kirara, her two-tailed cat demon, and Shippou.

“Maybe 10 minutes, HURRY.” Kagome grabbed her bow and arrows, and kept her miko sense fully alert.

Hurriedly backtracking from the night before, Kagome began calling out, “Sesshoumaru! Sesshoumaru!”

“What wench?” came the harsh reply from behind her.

About to go off on Sesshoumaru for calling her wench, she remembered why she was calling on him.

“Sesshoumaru, we… I… need your help.”

She was answered by silence.

“Naraku is closer, and I sense this is going to be one of the final battles with him… Will you help us?”

“Why should I help the likes of you?”

“Because you want him dead, too!” Fumed Kagome.

“Very well. I will assist you. But you must do me a favor in return.”

Hesitant to agree, she asked, “And what would that be?”

“I will let you know when the time comes.”

“Ok then. But only because I need you, Sesshoumaru!”

Just hearing her say those words sent shivers up Sesshoumaru’s spine. And made his groin twitch a bit. I need you, Sesshoumaru!

Not getting a response, she turned to leave.

“He’ll be here soon, Sesshoumaru.” And with that, she returned to the camp her friends had made.

Moments later, a purple miasma filled the sky. Naraku was there.

 

* * *

 

The entire group, Sesshoumaru included, was tense and ready to fight. As Naraku landed about 100 feet away from them, accompanied by hundreds of saimyoushou-, which colored the sky midnight black- the whole group, minus Shippou, went into action.

Sango threw her hiraikotsu.

Inuyasha unleashed the Windscar.

Kagome fired a sacred arrow.

Sesshoumaru and Kirara, in her larger form, both charged Naraku.

Miroku began throwing intricately written odoufa at the purple and yellow bee-like saimyoushou that prevented him from using his Wind Tunnel.

Even as they all attacked, Naraku just continued to walk forward, like the arrogant piece of poop he is, his barrier blocking all of their attacks.

Naraku let lose a wave of energy so intense, it sent Kirara and Sango, who was on Kirara’s back, flying across the field, landing in the lush, green, overgrown shrubbery.

Outraged, Miroku, armed only with odoufa and his monk’s staff, charged Naraku. “How dare you hurt my Sango!” He roared.

“Miroku, no!” Shouted Kagome. Kagome let go an arrow to protect the enraged Miroku from the saimyoushou that were so poisonous to him. A tentacle appeared from beneath Naraku’s kimono, and stabbed Miroku through the chest. His eyes as wide as saucers, he tried to turn so he could see if his Sango was all right. He saw her face down on the floor, unmoving. Outraged, on the brink of death, Miroku threw his staff at Naraku and impaled him in the heart. Naraku flung Miroku away from him, as if disgusted by his blood on his tentacle.

Inuyasha, infuriated by the loss of his friend and wishing to protect Kagome, charged at Naraku, his Tetsuaiga turning red as he dashed madly toward Naraku, broke through the barrier, getting hit by a tentacle in the process. Sesshoumaru, seeing an opening, tore through the gap between himself and Naraku, and, pulling Tokijin from its sheath, slashed his head off. Blood burst everywhere but stayed suspended in midair once outside of Naraku. Kagome, knowing Naraku’s spirit would just filter to another body if not destroyed, fired what must have been the most powerful sacred arrow she had every released.

It hit the mark, dead on Naraku’s heart. Kagome could see Naraku’s spirit dying as he slowly fell to the ground. Seeing that, Kagome felt uncontrollable happiness. Naraku was finally dead!

“Inuyasha! We won! We did it!” Kagome exclaimed gleefully.

Wondering why he wasn’t celebrating with her, Kagome turned around, expecting to see Inuyasha running towards her. But she didn’t see him. Then her eyes fell to the ground.

“INUYASHA!!! No!!!”

Inuyasha was lying on the floor, near death. He was bleeding badly. His normally red haori and hakama pants were near black from the blood seeping from what seemed every pore of his body. His silver hair that Kagome had so admired was being turned a deep red from blood also. Even his dog-ears, which Kagome loved to play with, were beginning to droop from blood loss.

“Inuyasha-“ Kagome sobbed. “Inuyasha, don’t die!”

“K-Kagome…” choked out Inuyasha.

“Yes my love?”

“I-I”

“Shh, if it hurts, don’t speak.”

“I must. Aishiteru -“ his voice broke from the strength it took to speak.

“I love you too, Inu. My lovely Inu. Please hold on. I’ll have Sesshoumaru heal you.”

Turning to Sesshoumaru, she pleaded. “Please. Will you heal him?”

“Before I do, I need to tell you something. I need to tell you-“
            Alarmed that he would speak to her like this, but intent on saving Inuyasha regardless, she spoke. “Tell me quickly, and heal him with Tenseiga! Before he dies!”

“Kagome, I think I have feelings for you. If I don’t heal him, then we can be together.” Seeing the shocked look on her face, he proceeded quickly. “I want to be with you. I want you to be happy. Will you be with me, Kagome? If you say no, I will heal this scum and leave. Remember the favor I said I’d ask of you?” She nodded. “This is it. Be honest. Don’t just be with me so I will heal him.”

After all this time, Sesshoumaru wanted her! But she needed to help Inuyasha.

“Sesshoumaru… I’ve watched you for some time, but right now, I need Inuyasha. Please heal him.”

“Very well.”

With a slash of his healing sword, Tenseiga, the gremlin-like death demons vanished. Before he could lose too much blood, Kagome began to treat Inuyasha’s wounds.

As she worked, Kagome turned to thank Sesshoumaru. “Sessh-“ but she stopped. He was gone. He was walking away, with his head held low. Quickly finishing with Inuyasha, Kagome hurried off after Sesshoumaru. “Will you please wait?” she called out.

Sesshoumaru halted his walk, and waited for her. When she reached him, he turned to face her, his face once again the stoic mask it had always been before today.

“Sesshoumaru, Gomen ne. But, right now at least, I need to be with Inuyasha. He risked his life to save me. He nearly died, and would’ve if you hadn’t helped him. Arigatou, by the way.”

“It’s fine, wench.”

With that, Kagome returned to the battlefield. Inuyasha’s wounds were already beginning to heal now that she had stopped the bleeding. He was tentatively sitting up. Seeing that he was, by some standard, okay, she moved on to see check on Sango, Miroku, Kirara, and Shippou.

Sango was lying about 50 feet away from Inuyasha, face down on the floor, next to Kirara, who had reverted to her smaller form. They were both breathing shallowly. Kagome could see the wounds, miniature now, that Kirara had sustained protecting Sango from Naraku. Deciding they would be okay, Kagome moved on to check on Miroku.

It wasn’t until she spotted a bunch of odoufa strewn about a tree that she found Miroku. He was lying at the base of the tree, apparently having fallen from the top if the broken branches on the tree were any clue.

Miroku appeared to have stopped breathing, but when she checked more closely, she found he was still alive, but just barely. Calling Inuyasha over, she had him help to carry Miroku to where she could work on him.

Setting Miroku gently on the horsehair grass, she set to work cleaning his wound. It took nearly an hour to get Miroku’s wound cleaned out. Moving on to Sango and Kirara, who were being watched over by a hobbled Inuyasha, Kagome set to work. Soon, all of her friends were healing, and on their ways to being their normal, crazy selves.

Chapter End Notes:

JAPANESE                                                    ENGLISH

 

Hanyou                                                           half demon

Youkai                                                            demon

Houshi                                                            monk

Miko                                                               priestess

Kitsune                                                           fox demon

Taiji                                                                 exterminator

Tanechigai                                                      half brother

Hakama                                                          pants

Haori                                                               formal shirt

Obi                                                                  scarf-like belt

Hiretsukan                                                     bastard

Baka                                                               idiot

Kami                                                               God

Hiraikotsu                                                      giant boomerang

Odoufa                                                            spell scroll

Aishiteru                                                         I love you

Gomen ne                                                       sorry

Arigatou                                                          thanks, thank you