- Text Size +
 

Ch.6 : What’s New, Pussy Cat?”

I sat in the forest by myself for a long time, contemplating my actions over the past day. I was trying so hard to comprehend what I did wrong; why Sango and everyone else, with the exception of the still out cold Shippo, was so mad at me. A sudden twinge in my neck snapped me back into reality. I swatted the spot with the palm of my hand. A tiny speck floated to the ground. It regained its composure instantly and hopped on my nose. I squinted my eyes to get a better look.

“Myoga?”

“Ah, Kirara! I was hoping to see your new form today! My, you are stunning!”

I gave him a small smile.

“Thanks.”

“Why the long face? Is something troubling you?”

I looked away. Opening up my emotions to a flea seemed odd at first, but Myoga would probably understand.

“Sango and the others are mad at me because I don’t act human enough. They say I can’t keep this form if I don’t learn how to be human-like.”

Myoga chuckled.

“Is that all? Oh, Kirara, don’t pay them any mind. Well, if they want to be mad with someone, let them be mad at Inuyasha!”

“Inuyasha? Why him?”

“Well, he’s not exactly the ‘perfect human’ actor. He scratches his head with his foot, and whenever they go into a town, he goes down on all fours and sniffs the ground! You can’t possibly be doing anything worse then that!”

As I listened more and more to Myoga’s words, I felt a mixture of feelings. I felt sad that they accepted Inuyasha the way he was and not me. I felt jealous, hurt and most of all…I was angry. How dare they? He walks around town smelling the dirt and I get in trouble for wanting to be petted? What kind of crap was that? I stood up.

“Thanks, Myoga. I have to go now.”

Myoga hopped off and called to me from a rock.

“Wait! Where’re you going?”

I stopped and turned to him, eyes burning.

“I have to have a little chat with the others.”


Everyone was sitting around the fire eating fish when I arrived.

“Fish?” Miroku offered, waving a mackerel on a stick in my face.

I growled and swatted it out of his hand.

“No thank you!”

Everyone exchanged confused and concerned looks.

“Is something wrong, Kirara?” Sango asked.

“Wrong? Gee, I don’t know! Let’s see...”

I got down on all fours, lifted my back leg, and scratched behind my ear. I waited for their reactions.

“Kirara, stop! Don’t scratch like that!” Kagome yelled.

I stopped and stood up, hands on my hips.

“And why not? Inuyasha is allowed to do it!”

“That’s because Inuyasha isn’t wearing that skirt!” Sango shouted.

I growled and dropped to all fours again.

“How about this?”

I put my head down and began sniffing the ground in a dog-like manner.

“Kirara, no! Your cleavage is showing!” Kagome warned.

I furiously threw my hands up in the air.

THAT’S IT! I’M TIRED OF ALL THESE RULES BECAUSE OF THESE STUPID CLOTHES! HERE, MAYBE I’LL JUST TAKE THEM ALL OFF!”

“YES!” Miroku shouted.

“No!” Sango hissed.

“Why?” Inuyasha asked.

“SIT!” Kagome screamed.

I sat and watched as everyone focused their anger on each other rather then me. I growled and walked away. I had had enough. I couldn’t take it anymore. I was going to run away.


That night, I snuck out of the tree I had fallen asleep in. I had gone a mile or so when I realized I was being followed. I turned to see Inuyasha. I was very surprised.

“Kirara, what are you doing?” He asked.

“I can’t take those rules and I’m sick of getting in trouble. I like my human form and I intend to keep it. So, I’m running away.”

Inuyasha laughed and shook his head.

“Come on, Kirara. You don’t want to do that. You’re just upset. Tomorrow, everything will be…”

“No. I’ve made up my mind and no one can change it.”

I turned away again. Inuyasha grabbed my arm.

“You don’t know what it’s like out there! There are demons around every corner! What are you going to do by yourself?”

I thought for a minute. He was right. I couldn’t go it alone. I turned and looked at him, a tiny smile on my face.

“Come with me, then.”

He let go and turned away.

“You know I can’t do that. Kagome needs me. The others need me.”

I scoffed.

“Hmm. The only thing Kagome does is sit you all the time. But, you must like it. Anyway, good bye.”

I started away again. He just stood there, watching me leave. I could tell he wanted to come with me.

“Kirara, wait.”

I stopped and casually glanced over my shoulder at him.

He didn’t say anything. He just stared at me. He finally looked away.

“Be careful out there.” That said, he left me in the dark.

Somewhat astonished and hurt, I turned away, trying so hard not to shed any tears. I ran into the black oblivion of the night, never to return.