- Text Size +

Ordinary isn't so Bad

~ ~ ~

Kagome was by nature an optimist but everyone had their down days – and today was one for her.

She’d failed her last test and was starting to feel like she wasn’t terribly good at anything. Granted, she could blame her rotten grades on traipsing around the Feudal Era but truth was she’d never been good at school even before getting dragged down the well.

Her miko abilities weren’t exactly top notch either. She certainly helped out but she didn’t think she’d ever see the day when the others ran to her for protection. At least she had Shippo – until he grew just a bit older and discovered more of his innate power.

Then there were her looks – she wasn’t ugly but neither was she a raving beauty.

Fact was she was just…ordinary; and, she slid a glance Inuyasha’s way, no one wanted ordinary.

Her thoughts were cut off by Inuyasha’s sharp, irritated yell. “What the hell d’ya do to the ramen, wench?!” He was rapidly rubbing off his tongue, confusing her to no end.

“What are you talking about?”

He cut his glare short as he spotted her half-full canteen. “My ramen burned,” he groused, “like that cure-ee stuff.”

“Oh, well, I thought variety would be nice so I bought some other flavors…”

He’d already turned away to finish off the water. “Keh, stupid. I like my ramen; plain ramen is the best.”

Smiling softly at his back she thought that maybe ordinary could have its own appeal after all.

~ ~ ~

A/N: 'Plain' drabble prompt in the LJ community Issekiwa. 250 words.