- Text Size +

Warning: Spoiler for end of manga

~ ~ ~

Growing Pains

~ ~ ~

When Kagome woke from the nightmare of being inside the jewel to find herself in her own era she didn't hesitate to rush back to the wellhouse - only to pause with her foot on the portal. Something hitched inside of her and she knew if she went back then that would be the end of things.

She couldn't bring herself to do it.

Despite everything she had done, regardless of everything she'd faced and accomplished on the other side, she still viewed herself as a child. She needed her mom, she needed her school friends, and she needed to finish becoming an adult. Maybe it was cowardice or simply regret for when she'd have to leave her family behind, but she knew she had to stay.

Still, it wasn't easy, never easy, because every time she saw a boy with red hair she was forcefully reminded of Shippo. She saw Sango in every woman who wore a green apron and the clatter of metal always brought remembrances of Miroku walking beside her. The hardest was that every time she stepped foot in her back yard or looked out her window or saw a vendor selling ramen her heart clenched with images of Inuyasha.

She knew one day she'd be ready, just as all kids grow up and leave their parents' home. She knew that one day she'd be able to leave everything and everyone behind for him - but she wasn’t done growing up just yet.

~ ~ ~

A/N: 'Force' drabble prompt for LJ community Iyissekiwa. 247 words.