- Text Size +

Everything its Price

~ ~ ~

The Inu-youkai council had grown stifling, over-reaching in their demands, and there was only so much he could put up with. He was the Inu no Taisho, the most powerful among them and their proffered leader, and he chafed under their constant gaze.

So he did something to flaunt his authority, to show that he could do as he pleased and they truly had no say. For those ends he chose that which they found most distasteful: consorting with a human woman.

And if he happened to grow to care deeply for the woman…well that was of no consequence. He could always ignore his instincts and pretend it didn’t matter in the least to him.

Then he learned of his son and everything in him changed. He was clenched with a painful regret, knowing the hateful, spiteful world his son would be forced to face – because of him.

The council, while willing to look the other way at his frivolities, wouldn’t stand for a hanyou in the bloodlines and incited a riot among the humans. Inu no Taisho had known he was mortally wounded when he rushed to them but he was set to give his life to save his son’s.

He left for him the only legacy he could and felt relief at least in the fact that his bastard would grow up strong. He knew his son would prove his worth in the end.

Then the council would know all their efforts had been for naught. Both he and his progeny would be forever beyond their reach.

~ ~ ~

A/N: 'Rebel' drabble prompt for the LJ community Iyissekiwa. 250 words.