- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The Forest of Orphans hides his greatest mistake... his biggest secret.
Holes in Her Soul
By: ani
Author's Note: as usual, I don't own Inu-yasha; all I own is Seizansha, Kameko, Machi, and any twist I've made.

-------------------------
(The Warring States Era)

"Why does the road go around the forest?" Shippo asked as the road came closer to the edge of the forest.

Eyes started appearing in the darkness to their left. "I'm sensing a lot of energies in there," Kagome said nervously.

"There's nothing to get scared about," Inu-yasha grumbled as they came around the curve, the road staying close to the forest.

"You'd have reason to be if you knew where--" Miroku was cut off as someone jumped out of the trees, landing about ten meters down the road.

Standing from her low crouch, it became very apparent she was female. Wearing a priestess's haori bound tight around her waist with a wide dark violet sash, her long slender legs ended within elegantly embroidered slippers. Her silver hair was almost to her knees, tied back loosely like Kaede's; that's when they noticed her ears... "She's a hanyou, like Inu-yasha," Sango suddenly exclaimed.

Kagome turned to Inu-yasha for an explanation; finding him edgy, on guard. "It's nice to see someone finally came that was capable of freeing you, Inu-yasha," she suddenly spoke, turning to Kagome, "It must have been this powerful miko traveling with you. And she would have to be powerful to put this leash on you."

She only smiled at Inu-yasha's low growl, "An orphaned kitsune, a wondering monk, and..." her laughter rang out as she shook her head in disbelief, "Only you, Inu-yasha would bring a demon exterminator into the Forest of Orphans." Suddenly many of the eyes watching from the forest vanished. "Or should I say only your miko? If she's got such a powerful binding spell on you, she must be the one in control here," she added, turning away dismissively.

"No one controls ME!" came out in a low growl before Inu-yasha pounced, this female hanyou suddenly airborne in the same instance. Two distinct blows were heard before they landed just as quickly, practically trading places.

Her silver hair was flowing in the breeze, hiding her face until she stood, revealing a few scratches going up across her right cheek, from jaw to cheekbone. "Nice to see you didn't get rusty over all those years," she said as she turned to him.

Inu-yasha stood, turning to them, "At least you've improved a little," he chided, raising his left fist. Her hair band was clenched tight, his sleeve in tatters, four long jagged scratches running down his arm.

The others stood there on edge as they leisurely approached each other, stopping only a meter apart. Inu-yasha slowly raised his hand, "Nice dodge. Where'd you learn that?"

She smiled; realizing everyone behind them was completely shocked as he handed her her hair band. "I've been training with some tenku lately. You've got to be quick, ready for anything from anywhere," she answered, tying her hair again. Turning around, she added, "Don't you think it's time we let them know?"

Inu-yasha shrugged, "Whatever. This is Seizansha, my cousin."

"Cousin?!?" four voices declared at once.

She smiled slowly, "Yes, my mother and their father were siblings," she turned back to Inu-yasha, "I suppose you need shelter for the night."

"Why else would I come here?" he replied a little too bitterly.

Seizansha understood why and started leading them down a path into the forest. Unfortunately for Inu-yasha, Kagome didn't. "Jeesh Inu-yasha, you didn't have to be so harsh. She family, right?"

He couldn't look at her, "Keep out Kagome, you don't know everything," he lead them after her.

The path was long and confusing, twisting and turning this way and that before coming out to a small clearing and a narrow cave entrance with two other paths out. Seizansha stopped beside the cave entrance, not the least bit surprised that Inu-yasha went right in. "As I already said, this is the Forest of Orphans. Most of the hanyou and youkai in this forest are just that. The tree spirits here have enchanted every bit of land. There are seven points like this around the edge: shelter, a path in and out, a path to water, and to the kitchens. Each one only leads there and back, but there are hundreds of others that lead nowhere, only two actually go all the way across." Seizansha smiled as she motioned them into the cave, "It's a lot bigger than it looks."

As they entered, all they could do was stare in wonder, "This isn't a cave, it's a castle!" Shippo called out in surprise.

"I have to agree. How many could stay here?" Sango added, trying to judge the size.

"Twenty could stay peacefully, thirty if they were willing to share their space," an older male voice answered.

They turned in surprise as an elderly man walked through the far door, sitting down on the first cushion. His plain black monk robes were now faded to a dark gray with his years; his bald head and long beard giving some idea as to how many. He openly smiled at all, as Seizansha walked past them, bowing to him, "We have more visitors Father."

"That we do Child. I already crossed your cousin and he is as unhappy as expected," he turned his baldhead to the others, "Welcome visitors, we will be kind and generous to any whom will be so to us." At that, he turned to Sango, pulling his beard in contemplation, "As the seizansha has told you, most of those living here are children. Some have started families and stayed. The only one who has caused any reason for your presence would be her," he paused, turning to Seizansha, "she has become the guardian, the yojimbo if you will, for all here. Any who have caused problems or come to take advantage of my family's handiwork have all been soundly dealt with."

Miroku stepped up, bowing to him, "Many thanks for the explanation sir, but we are only here for shelter. We do not intend to harm anyone."

The old man smiled, folding his hands and bowing to all, "You must forgive me, we deal with those that would take advantage more than those who merely seek shelter. Most are too frightened to stay."

"I can see why," Kagome said as each took a seat, "You said your family, does Seizansha have many siblings?" she added hoping to change the subject.

The old man chuckled slightly, "No, the seizansha has no siblings. She picked up the same habit towards me that all the orphans have. I am father to every tree spirit here; this forest is my family. Every being here calls me Father, but my true name is Machi," he leaned over, patting her hand.

"Why do you keep calling her 'the seizansha'? Isn't that her name Machi?" Kagome pressed; too eager to know, not seeing her pain.

The hanyou tried to smile, "I have no name."

Before anyone could react, Machi started explaining, "Tis true. Her life has been nothing but pain. Her mother, Kameko, their aunt, had been living here, raising and training Sessho-maru since his mother was slain. Sessho-maru was only a child; he did not know what he was doing. In his innocence, Sessho-maru had lead a wondering priest unto Kameko in her moment of need..."

"You mean her mortal father... was a priest!" Miroku cut in, shocked.

She only nodded as Machi continued, "A very powerful one at that. He had disappeared that morning. Kameko and Sessho-maru went back to their lives, though she was not sure what type of punishment to give him. Then, the very day she was to be born..."

Sango finished for him, "He returned."

He sighed as Seizansha hung her head, "Yes, intent on slaying the demon that seduced him, and the offspring they had created. The battle was long and fierce. She had decided it had to stop; so she decided it was her time... Even that did not stop them."

Shippo hopped up, stopping in front of her, "So what did you do?"

She smiled, "The only thing I could do."

"I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. She blocked a fatal blow from killing each."

"But how? No being is that powerful!" Miroku exclaimed.

Sango and Kagome turned to her in disbelief. "There's no way!" Kagome declared.

"It's unbelievable!" Sango was shocked.

Machi raised his hands, "Tis true. The energy seemed to come from Kameko's swollen belly, shielding each parent from the others attack. But even that was not enough, the fight continued until her father fell. Kameko doubled over in pain, both from her wounds and the birthing. She managed to give birth to a beautiful daughter, but realized her time was up. Kameko would not take her. She told me that she was Sessho-maru's responsibility. I placed the babe in his arms and she turned to them saying, 'This is a fitting punishment. It is your duty to raise the child you helped create.' At that she finally turned to the baby, stroked a drying ear and said, 'You would not give up your life. You tried to stop us from forsaking ours. Live long my survivor.' With that, she died." Machi finished, holding Seizansha's hand.

Kagome mumbled, "Seizansha does mean survivor."

"But you're saying Sessho-maru raised her!?" Sango asked, surprised.

"He had left her with a kitsune family that had also had a child, and disappeared for the first four years of her life. He just as suddenly reappeared, moving her into their own den and started training her, raising her. Before he returned, she was always called My Child. Sessho-maru insisted she call him Cousin, as he did her. But he was the first to call her by Seizansha, saying it was the closest to a name her mother had given her."

"And the children have picked up the same habit with me; they call me Cousin just as they call Machi Father," Seizansha tried to change the subject.

But even Machi saw it was useless, "They were no different than he was with Kameko. Every minute was spent together; training, playing, sparring, eating, sleeping, learning the full extent of her powers," he paused, smiling openly, "I will never forget the shock on his face when she revealed what he considers her greatest strength."

Everyone turned to Seizansha, waiting for her to explain, amazed to find her in a meditative state, bringing her hands together in prayer above her head. As she slowly lowered her hands, her ears disappeared, her hair went black. Everyone noticed her claws were gone as her hands rocked apart in front of her stomach.

Miroku stared in wonder, "In the very act of centering yourself... you are fully capable of changing forms."

"You'd think Sessho-maru would consider it a weakness," Sango plainly stated, Kagome nodding in agreement.

"I had asked him about that. He said I was now free to choose when; I did not have to worry about my safety when the time came. I could spend my time as a human when I knew I was safe. I could even spread it out over the month, hours or even minutes each day." She answered.

Suddenly becoming alert, nervous, Seizansha sat up, shaking her head; her silver hair, ears, everything returning as Inu-yasha walked in the same door Machi had used. She bowed to everyone before she stood, "If you'll excuse me, I'm needed elsewhere."

Machi nodded, realizing why, where she was going, "Of course Child. Go, fulfill your duties."

Inu-yasha eyed her cautiously as Seizansha left the cave.