- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Childhood memories reveal surprising secrets.

Leaning him forward, Seizansha barely felt his weight on her left shoulder as she tied the bandages around his chest. “Not that you’ll need these for long, but they will at least control the extent of the injuries,” she absently told him, knowing full well he knew. Jumping a little at feeling his head turn to her, she eased him back to the wall, leaving him in an upright position. Her hair spilling over her shoulder caused her to turn, finding he had her hair band clenched in his teeth.

 

She quickly snatched it back, gaining a preditorial chuckle from her patient. Both alarmed and aroused by such a simple sound, she had to forcibly tear herself away from him, only to find her hand caught in his. “I can’t… Not now…”

 

He didn’t move.

 

“Your injuries are too great… He’s…”

 

Her hand was suddenly free.

 

Felling his contempt and rage emanating from him, she approached the door, stopping just inside, “I will return later My Cou-”

 

“Do not,” he interrupted, barely above a whisper.

 

She stared at the door, “My Lor-”

 

“No. No more of this. No longer are we to refer to each other by our relation or my title. Say it. The one word I have waited for. The one word that has never been uttered by those lips.”

 

The only thing she could do was turn to him. He had spoken like that once before, his emotions so blatant, so intense. The only thing she could do was obey. “I will return later with your dinner,” she paused, looking into those eyes, “Sessho-maru.”

 

The sound of her voice finally saying his name sent a strange sensation through him. Seizansha just watched as it swept over him; his eyes closed, his lips curled into a smile, his whole body relaxed.

 

 

“No one said if we should or not,” Sango tried to rationalize.

 

“But you saw the reaction when we met her, who knows what they’ll do if we go down there,” Shippo piped up.

 

“He’s right,” Kagome agreed, rolling her eyes in disgust, “What a time for Inu-yasha to bail out on us.”

 

Miroku just sat on the log, “True, Inu-yasha’s disappearance is an inconvenience. But as you said Shippo, I am sure Machi and Seizansha both realize us going to the kitchens would cause more harm than good, so I suggest we wait.”

 

“How observant Monk. Tis true, your presence there would cause great problems,” Seizansha’s voice flowed in from a path, followed by herself, a pair of tanuki, a kitsune, a tenku, and two that appeared fully human; each carrying a full tray of food. “Many here hate and resent humans, for humans are why they are here, by blood or by battle. The others, like these six, have never even seen one and are quite fascinated even though they know what each of you are capable of. Now come, before the food gets cold.”

 

She entered the cave, followed by the children. They all looked at each other, surprised at Seizansha’s almost dismissive attitude toward the situation. Absently following, they were mildly surprised to hear two sharp claps, “Come on; stop dawdling. You can set up dinner faster than this.” Seizansha stood there, watching over the children; giving one more clap as they approached, the children backing away from the fully presented meal.

 

“Suki,” Seizansha suddenly called to the third door on the left. The youkai children grumbled as the door opened and a young woman in her twenties stepped out. She was very beautiful in her plain green kimono; she bowed to them all, her hair falling over her shoulders.

 

“Yes, ma’am.”

 

Seizansha smiled as she turned to the children, their grumblings getting louder. “Please take these troublemakers back to the kitchens. If even one of them tries to come back, remind them that Hotei will be pleased,” she chuckled as they all stopped, silently falling into line.

 

“Of course, Cousin,” Suki said as she started toward the door, the children following.

 

The group turned in confusion to Seizansha as she crossed the room, sitting where Machi had. “Come, eat and relax. We do not intend to harm anyone.”

 

“What was that about?” Kagome asked as she approached, the others taking their seats. “You don’t mean he actually… exists, do you?”

 

“Who? Hotei?” she smiled reassuringly, “I have yet to see any gods on this land. He was given that name in much the same way I was given mine. Hotei is a hanyou, a rather unsightly one at that.”

 

“We’ve crossed some like that,” Kagome said, remembering Jinenji.

 

“Yes, most like him are very angry, violent, and will take it out on anyone. Hotei grew up here, was one of the first actually. Now he travels, finding the orphaned and abandoned, bringing them here. Many humans have confused him for this god Hotei and he kept the name after learning who he is.” Seizansha finished, smiling as they started eating, “Yes, and every time he returns he bathes in one of the springs and the troublemakers have to scrub his back. Speaking from past experience, it’s something you would do anything to avoid.”

 

Everyone paused mid-bite, visions of what it could be and how awful it was running through their minds. Miroku shook it first, trying to change the subject, “So you’ve known Sessho-maru most of your life, how long have you known Inu-yasha?”

 

Seizansha turned away, a far off look in her eyes, “I first saw him when I was five. It was the only time I’d been to the Castle… the first I’d see of their father, my uncle.”

 

Kagome jumped all over it, “You met their father! What was he like?”

 

****** Flashback ******

 

At first glance, only one being stood in the meadow east of the Forest of Orphans. He was no older than eleven, his long silver hair pulled high on his head so that it fell to his hips. He spun, jumped, dodged, and swung a glowing yellow-green whip as if practicing his stances, his moves. The few times he stood still, one could tell he wore a dark blue hakama and a white haori decorated with purple flowers, with a sword at his side. He suddenly stopped mid-swing, the whip disappearing, as the royal guard approached.

 

“Why are you here Kiyoshi?” the young man asked as the guard circled the meadow. A forty-some male, silver hair to his knees, fully armored stepped forward, pausing as a child landed between them.

 

Kiyoshi could only stare in shock as this child, wearing a purple flowered haori that fell to her knees, bowed to the young man. He bowed in turn, beckoning her to his side. As she took his hand, she shook her hair over her shoulders, Kiyoshi just now seeing her hanyou ears. Falling back onto his position, Kiyoshi fell to one knee, bowing his head to his prince, “You know why I am here, my prince. Your father, Our Lord, is concerned for you. He has sought your presence at his side since both your mother and your aunt have died; yet, you ignore his request or go into hiding. We have been sent by Our Lord to bring you back to his domain, either by choice or,” he paused, standing to draw his weapon, “by force, as Our Lord decreed.”

 

The hanyou child jumped, both hands began glowing. The prince barely turned, the glows dying down as he said, “There is no need for that Kiyoshi. We will come willingly. Allow us time to prepare. I will not dishonor the court by appearing in my training garb. Come Seizansha.” He took the child’s hand, turned and started toward the forest. Four of the guard moved to block their way; stepping aside at the glares he gave them.

 

The entire guard followed them until their den, a cave hidden by a tall gingko and a waterfall. Before approaching, the prince called out, “Sachi.” An elderly woman stepped out of the gingko, bowing to the two of them. “Help her into her best kimono, Sachi. We are going to court.”

 

“Of course, Sessho-maru. Come child, we have much to do,” the tree spirit replied, placing a mothering arm around her shoulders, leading her into the cave. Sessho-maru followed.

 

A brown haired lieutenant stepped up, “Lord Kiyoshi, is it wise to trust him? He has slipped from our grasp before.”

 

“No, he knew this day would come. The Lord sent us to bring him back. The prince knows our number and knows he cannot face us all. He knows when to give in.” Kiyoshi said, “Still… we shall allow a few more moments.” He nodded to the others as they circled the cliffside.

 

They emerged a few minutes later: Sessho-maru in a white haori and hakama with red decorations on the shoulders and sleeves, Seizansha in an elegant pale blue kimono decorated with sakuras and a wide blood red obi. She was at his side, one step back, hands within the sleeves in proper posture. Sessho-maru turned to Kiyoshi, “Shall we go?” a cloud forming around the hanyou’s and his feet.

 

The guard followed suit, two flying away to announce their coming. The hanyou kept close to the prince’s side, never looking anywhere, just staring straight ahead. After some time, the castle of the Demon Lord of the West appeared on the horizon. Neither child looked nor reacted as they approached, still flying the cloud through the troops, the gate, the servants, the doors and even the murmuring subjects within. Sessho-maru landed the cloud just beyond them, a few feet from the dais the Lord and his wife sat upon.

 

The Demon Lord of the Western Lands, Inu-Taisho, was showing his pleasure. That, and his attire proved this was to be an unofficial visit. He wore a simple pale blue kimono with a dark green haori underneath, smiling openly. A pale human woman sat to his left in an elegant pink robe, the hanyou child in her lap wore a plain red kimono. The woman and child watched with interest; neither had seen these visitors before.

 

Sessho-maru stood properly, arms at his sides, and bowed: Seizansha fell into place, a step to his right and one back, bowing as well. “Greetings Father,” Sessho-maru stated, causing an uproar.

 

Before Inu-Taisho could stop them, Leiko, one of his retainers, stepped forward, “You shall refer to him as ‘Your Lord’.”

 

The child stepped forward, stopping at Sessho-maru’s slight turn.

 

“There is no need, Leiko,” Inu-Taisho said, raising a hand to silence the room.

 

Sessho-maru stood, looking at him from the corner of his eye, “He is not my ‘Lord.’ He lost the title some time ago.”

 

The crowd rose to the taunt again, falling silent at the Lord’s command. “It has been many years, my son. I had hoped news of your brother’s birth would have brought you home, if even for a visit.”

 

“Like news of your sister’s death brought you,” Sessho-maru stopped as whispers started flying. “Unfortunately Father, I have been busy.”

 

The whispers became louder, a sudden outburst declaring, “The child is his!”

 

Inu-Taisho leaned over, looking around his son. “And who is this hanyou child you have brought with you, my son?”

 

Sessho-maru held out his right hand, the child approaching and taking it, “She is called Seizansha. Your niece.”

 

“My niece?!?” his shock so apparent, “How?”

Not even blinking, Sessho-maru told the tale: “I, in my youth and ignorance, had lead a wondering priest unto my aunt while she was in heat. He disappeared by morning, but returned just as Kameko started birthing her, intent on killing both. The priest was powerful, the battle was long, with their unborn child saving each of their lives once. In the end, the priest died. Kameko was badly injured and did not survive long after birth. She declared I was to raise and train the child I helped create.”

 

“No infant still in the womb has power to stop attacks of fully grown beings!” Leiko cut in again, stepping toward them.

 

Sessho-maru ignored him, staring into his father’s eyes, “She is strong in both powers. She has learned much already.” With that, she turned to him, a barely perceptible nod and her hand being released telling her to. She took two steps toward Leiko, both arms rising above her head. She swung them both down fast, a whip from each hand slapping Leiko’s shoulders as she crossed her arms in front of her. The crowd watched in awe as the whips disappeared, her hands glowing with a new energy. Leiko screamed in agony as two pink whips manifested, leaving glowing cuts burning in an X across his chest.

 

Still staring at Inu-Taisho, Sessho-maru held out his hand again and obediently Seizansha turned to take it. She turned to the dais, surprised to find the woman shielding the hanyou’s eyes from the site. “You know why I will not stay here Father. Know this, do not send for me again, unless you want your men to die.” The cloud formed around their feet again, carrying them away.

 

*********End of Flashback**********

 

“That was brutal!” Miroku called out.

 

“How could you?” Kagome added, holding Shippo close.

 

Seizansha just shrugged, “I could have done worse. I was fiercely loyal to him. He was the only family I knew until that day. He was all I knew, I followed his every command.”

 

Miroku leaned forward, taking his chin in his hand. “That could explain Inu-yasha’s total lack of technique… but what did Sessho-maru mean by ‘you know why I will not stay here’?”

 

Seizansha stood, turning her back to them, “I knew better than to say anything on the trip back. Sessho-maru told me to return to our den and he left. I found Machi waiting for me. Machi asked about Sessho-maru and I told him everything that had happened. He tried to smile at me and asked if I wanted to know.”

 

“So what did he tell you?” Sango asked, standing behind her.

 

“I told him I would wait for my cousin to tell me. There was a long pause before Machi finally said that Sessho-maru would not tell me, that he had once told Machi the only way I would learn why was if he told me,” she paused, turning to them and sitting, staring at her hands, “You must understand that the Demon Lord can have many wives, but the first wife has the right to challenge the new ones, the Lord’s choices.”

 

“So Sessho-maru’s mother challenged Inu-Taisho’s choice,” Sango added.

 

Seizansha sighed, turning to them all, “Inu-Taisho had fallen for a mortal princess, terrorizing her village in his demon form. He had sent word into the village that he would stop if the princess agreed to marry him. He had been wooing her in his human form as well, letting her know he was also the great dog demon. When Sessho-maru’s mother found out, she was outraged that he not only chose another, but a mortal human over her. She set out to challenge the human, but Inu-Taisho discovered her plans and sent his royal guard to protect the princess. My aunt fought well, but she did not survive.” Seizansha stood again. “The Pack Elders heard of the attack. The guard was severly punished but forgiven, for they were only fulfilling their duty. The Elders passed down orders to kill the human princess and Inu-Taisho for preventing the challenge, her right as First Mate. Upon hearing these orders, Inu-Taisho killed the Pack Elders and any who agreed with their decree.”

 

“That’s unbelievable,” Kagome cried, holding Shippo tight.

 

“Ghastly!” Miroku called out.

 

Seizansha turned away again, “That is their way. The Elders are viewed as council, advisors, but the Lord has power to overthrow their orders. Inu-Taisho could have easily overruled the Pack Elders’ wishes; but knowing of the dissention in the Pack doing so would have led their deaths anyway. Instead, he killed them and all who agreed. Inu-Taisho lost more than just Sessho-maru’s loyalty that day. Many lost all respect for him, and waited for the right moment… our visit that day. Sessho-maru returned later that night, and would not tell me anything. He would leave for days, for weeks with no explanation; sometimes returning with injuries he wouldn’t explain.”

 

“So what happened?” Shippo piped up from Kagome’s arms.

 

She tried to smile at him, “One day, about a year later, we were out playing. Sessho-maru suddenly stopped and told me to say there, taking off into the forest. I tried to follow, but Machi appeared and told me I had to stay, that company was coming. He led me to the west side of the forest and we met them.”

 

“Oh, no…” Kagome mumbled, tears welling in her eyes.

 

“Yes, Inu-Taisho stood there, injured, with Inu-yasha in his arms, asleep on his shoulder. All he did was beg Machi to take care of Inu-yasha, putting him in his arms and left. Machi asked me to follow, he took us into the first empty den we crossed and asked me to stay there, care for Inu-yasha when he woke. A few days later, Sessho-maru returned… like now, in full armor, with the Fur of the First strapped over his shoulder… the sign of the Demon Lord.” Seizansha sighed, standing and heading for the door, “Inu-yasha went into a rage, calling him a liar, that it their father’s right to wear it, not his, but Sessho-maru told him the truth. Their father was dead… and he had taken his rightful place as Demon Lord. Inu-yasha disappeared, and Sessho-maru pulled me aside and told me the truth. How Inu-yasha’s mother had died, how Inu-Taisho died… He told me that I had to stay here, in the Forest of Orphans, that I was not accepted among the court… that the only way I would be safe was if I stayed here.”

 

Miroku stood, confused, “Sessho-maru actually wanted to take you with him?”

 

“But, because of his position and the court opinion of you… he didn’t… he couldn’t.” Sango stated, perplexed.

 

“Yes, he had to fulfill both his duties… as lord and as my guardian. Sessho-maru knows I can defend myself from any attack; but the court intrigue, the rumors would be more painful than any attack… and he couldn’t allow that.” Seizansha finished, staring out the doorway. “If you’ll excuse me, I have duties to attend to.”

 

She walked out at their silence.