- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Seizansha tells more than she should, but it just draws Kagome and Inu-yasha closer.

“Seizansha wait!” stopped her at the beginning of the path.

She didn’t even turn as Kagome stepped out of the cave. “No. I will not answer any of your questions Miko. I have already told more than I should.”

“What? But why?” Kagome started, not even realizing what she’d called her.

Seizansha just started down the path. “It is their lives, their stories to tell, not mine.” She kept going, hoping her fears would prevent her from following.

They didn’t. “Can’t you tell me how you two know each other? Why Inu-yasha was so upset earlier… why he’s still being so distant, so weird?”

Seizansha paused briefly. “No wonder he is confused, you act so differently and yet…” she mumbled before Kagome caught up to her, “My cousins and I did not part well when last I saw them. I… had banished them from the Forest.” She kept walking, not even realizing Kagome had stopped.

‘What? But why would she… “What could have happened?” Kagome spoke the end as she snapped out of it, seeing Seizansha standing at an intersection. “Hey wait up! Why would you have to…”

It was left hanging as they entered a clearing, youkai and hanyou children leaving in threes and fours, many turning to greet Seizansha, stopping in shock, fear, or curiosity at the powerful miko with her. Seizansha could only smile at them all as she headed to the hut in the middle of the clearing. Kagome followed closely, trying to smile at the children, “Stay here… Kagome?” Seizansha paused as she nodded, “I have to take some others their meals, wait while I get them.”

“Oh… okay,” Kagome replied, backing up to the wall of the hut as some of the children came back, started approaching.

A twelve year old tanuki came closer, looking very suspicious, “So why are you here priestess? We haven’t hurt anyone.”

Not realizing she was shaking, Kagome answered, “W-w-we aren’t here to hurt any of you. W-we just need a place to stay… for the night.”

They both jumped as someone landed on the hut roof. “Problems,” Inu-yasha grumbled.

“Who..?”

“Do you not see the resemblance? He is my cousin, Inu-yasha,” Seizansha stepped out of the hut with two large bamboo boxes.

With that, the children all turned and left. Kagome took a few steps out turning to the roof, upset to find Inu-yasha gone. “That stuck up jerk!”

Seizansha chuckled, heading for a northern path out of the clearing. “Do not be so hard on him. Inu-yasha never wanted to return to this place.”

“But why? What happened between you two?” Kagome asked, rushing to catch up.

She sighed as she started around some bushes, “Inu-yasha never liked it here. It always reminded him why he was here, made him feel weak, worthless. It’s a feeling any hanyou has to live with, but being here among strong youkai protecting you, it only intensifies…”

“Makes you feel even weaker.” Kagome finished as they approached a gorge.

A tree had fallen across about twenty feet away, but Seizansha instantly fell to one knee, Kagome getting on her back on reflex. “So… as we got older, Inu-yasha started doing what Sessho-maru and so many others have,” Seizansha said, jumping the gorge.

Immediately kneeling on the other side, Kagome got down. “So he started leaving, seeing the out side.”

“Yes. He disappeared for months, I had assumed he was gone for good. But one morning, he hopped out of his tree as if he’d never left.” Seizansha stopped walking, keeping her back to Kagome, “We had been swimming… curiosity got hold of us…”

Kagome baulked, “You mean… you two actually…”

Seizansha turned to the treetops, unsure she should continue, “Not completely. We are aware that… with our kind, cousins are not frowned upon. Both of us being half-breeds, we felt it would be better for all. But we stopped when…” she left it hanging, going down the trail again.

‘Inu-yasha… doing that… with her,’ Kagome thought, absently trying to picture it in her mind. Shaking the thought, she turned, “So how far did… Seizansha wait!” Kagome caught up at the next intersection, “What did you mean, not completely?”

Seizansha only shook her head as they approached a clearing, an elderly man playing with three young kitsune boys. Both could only smile as the boys rushed over, stopping as they sensed the miko. “It is alright. She is only here to help.” Seizansha replied as the youngest of the three, no older that Shippo, jumped to the oldest, most likely twelve. “So, who wishes to help Kazuo bring Seki outside?” Seizansha added, hoping to break their concentration.

The eldest, still holding the youngest, followed the old man around the cedar tree, disappearing into their den. “Do you think you can set up dinner on your own Yoshi? I have another one I need to deliver,” Seizansha asked, handing one of the boxes to the sole kitsune. The seven year old smiled as he took it from her, turning to set it up near a low flat rock. As he started, the others returned, a ten year old kitsune girl supported between them, her right leg in a splint. “A training lesson gone bad,” Seizansha smiled at the children as Kagome turned to her for an answer.

Seki perked up at hearing her voice, “Will you stay and eat with us Cousin?”

“I am sorry to say I cannot Seki,” she answered, putting down the other dinner box. “But I will be back later to check on you.” She crossed the clearing and gently stroked her cheek. The whole family smiled, bowing their heads and thanking her as she picked up the box, leaving the clearing with Kagome.

“That’s so sad… why are they here?” Kagome asked, turning to Seizansha.

“Their father had been killed by a strong oni. Their mother was bringing them here when she was killed for the Jewel shard she carried. The eldest, Aiko, woke to find their mother dying and the attacker gone. He told her he’d bring them here, and so they have been for months.” Seizansha explained as they reached an apparent dead end.

“One more family affected by the shards,” Kagome mumbled, absently sitting on a rock. Trying to push that thought aside, she suddenly remembered their previous conversation, “What did you mean, ‘not completely’? Just how far did it go between you and Inu-yasha?”

Seizansha turned away, casting her eyes to the ground. “We had kissed… for some time. But Sessho-maru had made his presence known, we both knew he was approaching. I had turned in his direction, turning back to find Inu-yasha gone. I had gone to welcome Sessho-maru, as I had always done. I bowed and greeted him, he nodded and asked why I had let that worthless half-breed do that.”

“He what!” Kagome almost screamed, “I can’t believe he said that to you!”

“He knew we were not alone.”

“You don’t mean…”

“Inu-yasha dropped down out of the trees behind me, yelling at Sessho-maru that he was the worthless one. Before the fighting could start I stepped between them and told Sessho-maru that if Inu-yasha was worthless for just being a half-breed than so was I.” Seizansha continued, not seeing Kagome rise, jumping as she took her hands in hers.

“He was probably happy about that.” Kagome tried to guess.

Seizansha shook her head, “No. He jumped and almost slapped me. Sessho-maru stood in front of me, stroking my cheek and said I had proven my worth a hundred times over to him. That I was stronger than many he had fought with or against. I was to never compare myself to his dirty-blooded brother again. Inu-yasha stepped up and said Sessho-maru would never understand me like he could. Before it could go any farther, I stopped them forever.”

“By banishing them?” Kagome asked, leading them to the rock.

They sat as Seizansha finished. “I told them to stop, that they were not going to pull me into their rivalry. I told them both to leave, that I did not want to see them here together again until they had made up. I would not deny them shelter or healing, but those were the only reasons I would allow them back. I had turned and started towards the forest, stopping by the first tree and said that they were both family and I try to treat them equally, but we all knew who I would choose and why. I left them there.”

“Of course, you felt close to Inu-yasha, both of you being hanyou… but Sessho-maru was everything to you,” Kagome mumbled to herself, answering Seizansha’s remembered words as Inu-yasha jumped out of the trees.

“I’ll meet you there,” Seizansha said to him before she took to the trees.

Inu-yasha stepped closer, kneeling in front of Kagome, she still hadn’t realized… “Kagome?”

She suddenly jumped up, knocking Inu-yasha into one of the trees. “Oh Inu-yasha! Where did Seizansha go?”

He just glared at her, grumbling, “Come on, will ya.”

“Okay,” Kagome mumbled, timidly following, trying to figure out how to approach it.

“So what did she say?” Inu-yasha grunted, starting it for her.

“Who… Seizansha? She told us about her visit to your father’s castle… how you got here,” she paused, not sure if she should, “and why… you’re so upset.”

Inu-yasha grunted something she couldn’t make out before kneeling for her. Kagome got on, realizing Inu-yasha was holding her differently, looser than usual as they passed from tree to tree. Kagome tried to forget what she’d been told, all the other pains she now knew he’d been through, as the sound of a spring brought her to the present, Inu-yasha bringing them to the ground again. They took seats on opposite sides of a small clearing; Inu-yasha near the only entrance, Kagome on the patch of grass. Minutes passed, neither would look at the other, both too ashamed, pained by what had been revealed. The tension eased as both sensed Seizansha coming closer, stopping by the unseen spring.

Seizansha suddenly appeared behind Inu-yasha, a shamed look on her face as he stood, turning to her. “Stop. She had to find out somehow,” Inu-yasha said as he stepped around her.

“Everything is ready,” was Seizansha’s only reply as Inu-yasha walked off. She turned to Kagome, not seeing the flea jump onto her shoulder. “Would you like to go back to your comrades now?” she blankly asked Kagome, blocking the entrance.

“I’d like to know what Inu-yasha’s up to,” she hadn’t realized she spoke aloud.

“I’m sorry, I cannot tell you,” Seizansha absently replied.

“Talking to his mother again after so long,” Myoga mumbled, Seizansha realizing he was sitting on her shoulder.

“Be quiet bug!”

“What! Talking to his mother... but how?” Kagome jumped all over it, suddenly standing in front of her.

Seizansha stood there, forcing her presence upon her. “I will not allow it. It is a complex, delicate spell and any other presence will break it. He came and asked me for this time and I will not let anyone take it from him.” The power, her aura radiating off her tingled throughout Kagome’s body and soul; making her fearful, excited, anxious, and nauseous all at once. She could feel her own power rising to equal Seizansha’s, out of joy and fear.

The entire situation confused her. All she could do was back away. “I’ll wait for Inu-yasha,” Kagome answered.

“As you wish,” Seizansha replied, pulling her power back.

“It has been quite a long time, Seizansha. It is nice to know you are well,” Myoga spoke up from Kagome’s shoulder now, trying to break the tension.

Not at all surprised he’d moved, Seizansha replied, “I am surprised you are still alive. Such an annoying old bug can only be squished so many times.”

Myoga laughed at the sarcasm in her voice, “I told you once already Child. I have quiet a few left in me… but if I stay with Lord Inu-yasha my time will be shortened considerably.”

“You told her once already?” Kagome cut into the conversation, “So you’ve met before?”

Seizansha sighed, hanging her head as Myoga started grumbling, “I shouldn’t have said that, now he’s gonna kill me for sure.”

Seemingly shaking her head at Myoga’s moans, Seizansha looked up at Kagome. “It was over fifty years ago. I’d received word of an orphaned half tenku child in Inu-yasha’s forest. Upon getting there, I found the babe, wrapped in his haori. In picking up the child, Inu-yasha appeared ready to defend her. Seeing me, he said he was happy I got his message. I could tell something was different about him, but he would not tell me. I decided not to push it, even after picking up a human scent clinging to his clothing.”

Both mikos sat on opposite sides of the entrance as Seizansha continued. “I thanked him, we said our farewells, and I started back here. Of course, I had to pass through the village. Unfortunately, that was when the babe decided she was hungry. I took her to the miko, in hopes of being told at least where to find a milk tree. This miko, Kikyo, invited us in, offering some milk she had. I sat and fed her, this Kikyo watching with some interest. I could tell it was not because of the baby; Inu-yasha’s scent was upon her.”

“I asked her what was so interesting. She jumped, apologized for staring and asked about my parents. I told her the truth, a powerful human priest and an equally powerful youkai, Inu-yasha’s aunt. She asked if he’d told me about her, what she asked of him. I knew how Kikyo had said it that Inu-yasha had not allowed her to see his human form.”

“What… you mean, you knew he didn’t trust her?” Kagome asked.

Seizansha nodded, “There are only two reasons a hanyou lets another see their weaker human form: they cannot get away or they trust the other with their secret. Neither had happened for them. The baby was finished so I made to leave, Kikyo asked for my blessing, being the only family Inu-yasha has. It was not my place to say he has a brother, but I did tell her this; if what you feel is true, you can overcome everything. He should not have to bend to your wishes. I left her wondering how I knew she had asked him three times to use the Jewel to be human.”

“How did you know?” Kagome asked, confused herself.

Seizansha only smiled, “Like I know you prefer his hanyou form… sorry, demon secret. I was not even two days away when Myoga appeared, telling me I had to return. I went as fast as I could with the baby, Myoga telling me all that had happened. I found him drooping from the arrow, in an almost death-like state. I summoned the tree’s spirit forth, she was injured in her leg and crying for the both of them. I begged her to do something for him, that I could not stand to see my cousin stuck there like some common vermin. She agreed, roots and branches forming to hold Inu-yasha as you found him.”

“But why didn’t you try to release him?” Kagome asked, confused.

“She did Kagome, she did. But before Seizansha could even touch it, their energies interacted and she said that for being close to death that miko had a clear mind,” Myoga cut in.

“True. The spell could only be removed by the same power, the same soul. So even as the miko died, she was planning to forever keep him there. Fortunately for Inu-yasha, Kikyo did not remember Destiny is stronger than all of us. Inu-yasha’s history with the Shikon Jewel is far from over.” Seizansha paused, sensing something in the distance, “I left Inu-yasha in the spirit’s care and returned here, sensing Sessho-maru’s presence miles away. After leaving the baby girl with the right youkai, I found him in the same clearing we trained in. Sessho-maru did not say a word, I told him what had happened. Sessho-maru approached me, wiped away a tear I had not realized I shed, told me I did well, and left. That was the last I had seen of either.”

“And now they’re both here,” Kagome blurted out, not even realizing how she knew.

Seizansha jumped slightly, eyeing Kagome in confusion at her words. Kagome started fidgeting under her glare, about to say something when Inu-yasha suddenly appeared in the entrance. “Come on Kagome, let’s go back.”

“Okay,” she could only mumble as she got up. Inu-yasha turned his back as she approached, kneeling for her. Kagome instantly got on; feeling how tense, how tormented Inu-yasha was; his back and shoulders rigid, his hold loose, open. Knowing better than to ask as Inu-yasha took to the trees, Kagome tried to sort through everything she had discovered about him in one evening. ‘Well, at least now I know why Sessho-maru despised him so much… why he didn’t want to stay here… see Seizansha. Kikyo didn’t trust him… wanted to punish him… she asked Inu-yasha to become human three times! I wouldn’t… I couldn’t put him through that. I’d never make him choose.’ She decided, holding him closer to her. Inu-yasha jumped at the tender move before relaxing into it.

Before either realized it, they landed on Suki’s very tree. Inu-yasha jumped down, letting Kagome off, and started towards the entrance.

“Inu-yasha, wait.”

He stopped mid-step, “I know what she told you Kagome. It’s okay.”

She took a few steps toward him, her hand stroking his hair. “I just wanted to say… I understand.”

Before she knew it, Kagome was suddenly looking into Inu-yasha’s eyes, his surprise, his disbelief so apparent. Inu-yasha’s hands came up, covering hers, now just touching his beads, his chest. They both tried to smile at each other as they pulled closer. Kagome stretched against him, kissing Inu-yasha’s cheek before pulling away, rushing into the den.

His hand absently covered the lingering tingle.


Chapter End Notes:
yeah, yeah, this time the his was Inu-yasha… hey it is about the family after all, not just the two of them.