- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Kikyou attacks Kagome without Inuyasha there to protect her. Has she gone too far? Did Naraku manipulate her into behaving so treacherously? Inuyasha faces his emotions and wrestles with decisions.

Episode 1


            “What did you do to her Kikyou?!" Inuyasha roared, his tetsusaiga drawn and winding whipping, “Just what did you do to Kagome?!”
            “Inuyasha, you seem upset at my interfering in that girl’s life.” Kikyou smirked, lowering her bow and arrow. “Why don’t you just ask her yourself?” she added. Turning to Kagome, Inuyasha knelt down, one hand on his sword. Kagome sat, breathing heavily, starring at the ground. Her clothes were disheveled and sweat ran down her neck. Inuyasha asked, “What happened here Kagome?” 
           “No, don’t…. don’t ask…” Kagome murmured. “Well I AM asking! Did she hurt you? Tell me!” Inuyasha finally thought to look her over, she was clutching her arm, blood had soaked through her shirt. Her hair was matted and blood was beginning to dry on the wound above her forehead. “Dammit” Inuyasha muttered, “What the hell were you thinking coming here alone? Why do you have to be so stupid sometimes?” He prepared himself for her to tell him to sit, but she just sat there, tears welled up in her eyes, unblinkingly emotionless.
            “… Kagome” he said softly.
            “How interesting, you really care, don’t you? Tell me, are you going to kill me?” She raised her bow and notched and arrow on the string, pulled back and pointed it at Kagome, “Make your choice Inuyasha.”
            “Damn you.” Inuyasha gritted his teeth and stood in front of Kagome, “If you think I’m just going to stand to one side, you must really underestimate me.”
            Kikyou smirked, “hmmm, we’ll see about that.” She released the string and let the arrow fly. Inuyasha braced himself.
            “NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!” Kagome screamed, lunging forward throwing herself in front of the shot. The arrow pierced through her shirt and struck the large jewel shard that hung about her neck. Blinding whiteness lit the forest around them. When Inuyasha opened his eyes, Kikyou was nowhere to be found. He looked down and saw Kagome lying at his feet, her hand grasping his kimono, blood dripping from her wounds. The necklace had absorbed most of the impact but the arrow had still struck her throat. Seeing her helpless and injured Inuyasha balled up his hand and punched the ground. “You stupid fool! Why did you go and do that!?” He sheathed tetsuiaga and carefully as possible turned Kagome over. She was too injured to take anywhere just yet. He quickly bandaged her arm and head and made sure to stabilize the broken arrow in her throat. He gingerly picked her up and cradled her in his arms, “Don’t you dare die on me Kagome.


             “Miroku, it’s been some time since Inuyasha left looking for Kagome, do you think we should go out and look for them?” Sango asked, pulling the curtain aside that served as Kaede’s door. Looking anxiously toward the forest, she couldn’t shake the growing concern. “I mean, Kagome left last night and Inuyasha did make her pretty upset, but I thought that since he’d left so early they’d be back by now.”
            “Now Sango, there’s no need to get worked up. Inuyasha began looking for her very shortly after she left. I’m sure he’s found her and he’s just trying to make up with her by now.” He said, and added under his breath “… I know I would be.”
            “What was that, Monk?!” Sango said, grabbing his robe and pulling him off the ground.
            “Nothing!” He lied, the sweat beginning to form on his forehead.
            “That’s what I thought,” Sango said, dropping him.
            “Idiot.” Shippou muttered. 

           Inuyasha came into Sango’s view as she was about to let go of the curtain, “Oh Gods, Kagome!” She yelled, taking a quick look at her condition and running toward them.
           “What?” Miroku said, coming after her. Upon seeing the state of things, he called to a villager nearby, “You there, quick, find Lady Kaede and bring her here immediately!” The villager nodded and ran off. Inuyasha brought Kagome into the hut and set her carefully down on a mat, Sango came to her side and started removing her bandages to assess the damage. As Inuyasha stood to one side Miroku walked over to him and asked, “What happened here Inuyasha? How did Kagome sustain so many wounds? Was she this hurt when you came upon her?” Inuyasha stood starring at Kagome; he didn’t answer Miroku’s numerous questions. Miroku couldn’t help but notice that the significant wound in her throat was an arrow, and his suspicions were all but confirmed by Inuyasha’s silence. Shippou ran up to Inuyasha and struck him on the head, “Tell us Inuyasha!”
            “Inuyasha!” Miroku cried out, Inuyasha turned to him, “You must tell us what happened!”
            “Ahhh!” Inuyasha growled fiercely and left the hut mumbling, “Why… Why couldn’t I stop her…?”
            “Miroku, what do you suppose happened?” Sango asked, gathering up herbs and medicines to treat Kagome’s wounds. Shippo held Kagome’s hand lightly, sniffing back tears. Miroku returned to Sango’s side, placing a cold towel to Kagome’s fevered head. “Whatever happened, Inuyasha is not going to talk about it easily or openly. We may just have to wait until Kagome is healed to find out what really happened.” Looking down at her, he added, “… IF she can.”
          “Don’t say that Miroku! You know that she’ll live!” she has too, Sango thought. Kaede walked into the hut with haste, speaking to no one and immediately tending to Kagome’s injuries. Sango and Miroku left the hut to allow Kaede the time and room to work.

            Why couldn’t she just let me protect her? Why would she get in front of me like that? I just can’t believe Kikyou would… Would try to… Inuyasha shut his eyes, trying to block out the image of the arrow piercing Kagome. He punched a nearby tree and continued walking. Looking up he caught a glimpse of a soul collector disappearing down into the trees. I have to know, he thought, I have to know why. He ran in the direction of Kikyou’s scent. In the forest behind Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku watched him head toward where the soul collector had dropped out of view. Miroku turned to Sango, “We will have to follow him and watch what he does, maybe then we can figure out what happened."

           Inuyasha had not ran for long before he came near enough to Kikyou to observe her. She sat under the Sacred Tree; absorbing souls brought to her by her numerous collectors. She sensed Inuyasha in the trees and called to him, “Inuyasha, there is no need to hide.” He stepped out from the trees, tetsusaiga in hand.
             “You come to me armed? Do you expect a fight?” she asked. “Hmph,” Inuyasha snarled at her, “Why Kikyou? Why did you attack Kagome? Why did you try to kill her?” Kikyou stood up and began to walk toward Inuyasha who stood his ground and gripped the hilt tighter, “Inuyasha. Do you really care about these questions? Are you not at all happy to see me?” Inuyasha senses flooded with her smell, and his memories stirred.
              “Surely you have not forgotten your promise to me, to protect me, upon your death Inuyasha.” As she stood close to Inuyasha, she placed her hand on his sword and embraced him. Inuyasha, overwhelmed with conflicting emotions started to speak, “Kikyou, I can’t… you attacked Kagome, and I… I… can’t…” She pulled him closer, and drew a knife from within her kimono, lifted it and moved to plunge it into his back.
            “Hiraikotsu!” Sango yelled, throwing her weapon, grazing Kikyou’s hand, causing her to drop her dagger. Inuyasha, revived from his daze, pulled away from her. Realizing her intentions he jumped backwards and landed softly, yelling “Kikyou! What’s happened to you? Why are you doing these things?”
            “Why are you allowed to live life as you want and I must be the living dead!?” Kikyou shouted back. “I will walk this earth and feel nothing again for as long as I live. And YOU damned me to this existence, so YOU must suffer as I do!” As she spoke her soul collectors surrounded her and lifted her easily off the ground, and out of sight into the sky. Inuyasha stood starring at the stars, pleading for answers in his own mind. Slowly he came back to reality and without turning, spoke to Miroku and Sango. Quietly he said, “I found Kagome last night… she was injured already… Kikyou had… attacked her… and then she tried to murder me and Kagome stepped in front of the arrow.” Inuyasha’s head was bowed, tears poured down his face, “Tell me, Sango, will my Kagome die?” Inuyasha… Sango thought.
            “It’s too early to tell; when we left to come after you Kaede had just begun treating her wounds. Please Inuyasha, come back and stay by her side. You know that would make her happy. Running off and blaming yourself isn’t going to help her get better.” Miroku said in earnest.
            “But maybe I could stop it from happening again…” Inuyasha said hot anger in his voice. Then his face and character softened and he sighed, “But I will come back. I will come back and I won’t leave her side until she’s alright.” I won’t leave your side again. Never again Kagome, never. He thought. 


            The pain was burning her neck. She coughed and felt blood rise in her throat, making it hard to breathe. Where was she? It was black. Her whole world was black. She started walking around this strange world of black. Then she began to see a light ahead of her, she walked faster. As the light got closer she began to see the outline of a woman. At first she was afraid it was Kikyou and hesitated, but something within her was comforted so she continued on. Soon she was starting only a few yards away from the woman who seemed to have light radiating off her.
            “Who are you?” Kagome tried to ask, but found that she could not make words come out. As if knowing her unspoken question the woman spoke. “I am Midoriko, an ancestor to Kikyou, and an ancestor to you. I have come to try to bring balance back to this broken world.”
            “Balance?” Kagome whispered. “Yes.” The ancient miko continued,  “Kikyou’s desire to kill you has made the balance of history wane. If she had been successful in killing you, the sacred jewel would never be able to be purified again, as it would be forever tainted by a priestess’s hate.”
            “Why does Kikyou wish to kill me?”
            “You live a life she had so desired. Her selfish need for that life overtook her and caused her to be blinded: because of that Naraku fooled her when he posed as Inuyasha to trick her. Her greed for the life YOU get to freely live was not hers to have, and she knew it, but she still yearned for it and attempted to grasp it.”
            “Kagome? Kagome can you hear me? Please Kagome…” Kagome heard softly behind her. She spun around, recognizing the voice. “Inuyasha.” She whispered.
            “Kagome… please don’t go. I need you…” she heard him plead.
            “You must not let Kikyou kill you, Kagome.” Midoku said, slowly starting to fade. “If she does, the world will turn darkness and all that you know and love will be ripped apart shortly after. Be brave, be strong. Wake up… it is time to wake up.”
            “Kagome please, don’t leave me. I’m right here. I’ll never stop protecting you. Please wake up Kagome. Please.” Inuyasha kept saying, as the black world around Kagome became less and less apparent.
            Kagome’s eyes fluttered open, the burning pain in her throat persisted. She looked next to her and saw Inuyasha sitting, slumped over, by her side, his hand grasped onto hers. He was softly whispering her name in his sleep. She gingerly and painfully reached over and smoothed over his hair and lingered her fingertips on his ear. She smiled lightly and looked at his face and saw that his eyes were now open. He had been crying. Usually he would have tried to hide it and Kagome looked embarrassed that he was caught in such a venerable state, but he didn’t even flinch. Inuyasha looked deep into her eyes and said “Thank you for coming back to me.” He squeezed her hand and as she attempted to let go, he held on. He lay there and waited for her to fall asleep and rest some more; when she did he slept himself.


            “So Inuyasha has finally begun to realize his feelings for the girl.” Naraku spoke silently to the darkness. “Hmmm… this could cause a few problems.” He looked toward the darkness and a figure appeared, silhouetted in the doorway “The time for you to finally show me what you can do will soon be here.” The figure nodded once, and disappeared.
            “Soon, very soon.” Naraku laughed.


             Inuyasha woke from fitful nightmares to the sun just cresting the hillside. He slipped out of the hut quietly, and began walking toward his forest. What have I done? I can’t be pursuing this… I made a promise to Kikyou. He stopped walking and looked up at where he had ended up. The tree. Our tree. The tree where I last saw Kikyou before my sleep. The tree where I first saw Kagome… when she released me. He rested his head against the broad tree, softly pounding his fist into the bark. She can’t possibly stay safe is she remains with me… Kikyou will keeping trying to find a way to hurt her, to harm her… to kill her. And so will Naraku. He jumped into a neighboring tree and watched the sun fully rise, all the while contemplating different solutions to his daily growing predicament.

              “Are thee still asleep in thy bed Kagome? You need to eat to sustain thy health if thee wishes to recover faster.” Kaede softly scolded Kagome, pushing the frail door to the side, letting sunlight wash over Kagome’s prone form. Sighing Kagome sat up, and wordlessly began to eat the food lain next to her. Sango and Miroku watched her silently, each brimming with unspoken questions.
            “Kagome!” Shippou squealed in excitement as he entered the small hut, and quickly ran to her and cuddled into her lap. “I was so worried! I am so happy to see you! You can’t leave me like that again Kagome! You should have seen everyone, they were sick with worry! Especially Inuyasha.” Shippou rapidly babbled on. Kagome looked startled, she had assumed that what she had experienced while unconscious was merely a dream, and that she had only imagined Inuyasha’s tears and words from the night before. She looked down at Shippou and asked “Inuyasha was worried? Come on, he doesn’t get upset over anything.”
            “What? You don….”
            “Umm, Kagome, you really should finish your food and get up, stretch, get your strength back as soon as possible. We’d all like to see you up and moving.” Miroku quickly interjected, shooting the young kit a glance that hushed up his explanation. Kagome, distracted by Miroku’s insistence went back to her dazed state and began eating again. Kaede spoke to her about how she should treat her wounds while there were traveling, as it would be some time before they were fully healed, though it had been almost two weeks since the incident. Kagome had been on the brink of death for quite some time, though she hardly knew it. Miroku wordlessly stood up and left the hut, seeking the missing hanyou. He had not long to walk before he spotted Inuyasha’s still form in a tree near the Tree of Ages. Miroku called up to him, “You can stay up there all day, but it won’t change what’s happened. You need to come down here and face Kagome.” Inuyasha softly landed next to Miroku,
          “Don’t you think I don’t already know that Miroku? But just what the hell am I supposed to say? Just how much does she remember? I can’t… I can’t do this Miroku.” Inuyasha paced back and forth, wildly ranting with his fists clenched, “She’ll DIE if she stays with me, either by Kikyou’s devices or Naraku’s! How can I let her stay here knowing that?” He stopped and faced Miroku, close up to his face, “What kind of hanyou would I be to risk someone I care about just so I can keep her around and use her priestess powers?”
            “There’s no use getting angry at me Inuyasha,” Miroku began, backing away, “but you need to decide what you are to do. Kagome has chosen to stay with you for a very long time, it would be insulting if you did not take everything that she thinks and feels into consideration before deciding something on your own and leaving her out of it. She deserves better than that Inuyasha.” Miroku turned to leave. “It seems that you have a lot to think about.” He then walked out of the clearing and back toward the village. Leaving Inuyasha to wrestle with his thoughts and emotions.

            The sun was starting to sink into the horizon as Kagome and Shippou sat on a fence lining a potato field, Kirara pounced on insects beneath them. Kagome had been silent most of the day, speaking hurt her throat most of the time. Finally Shippou spoke, “Kagome, I know it’s unfair to ask, but you’re not going to leave us now are you?” Kagome looked lovingly at the little kitsune and assured him, “I won’t leave Shippou. I love it here. After all, I couldn’t do that to you.”
            “Or to Sango? Or Miroku? Or Kirara?” Shippou asked anxiously.            “No, I couldn’t do that to them either.” Kagome said, smiling. Shippou tilted his head and asked one final question, “What about Inuyasha?”
             Kagome’s eyes misted and she looked toward the setting sun and replied. “No… I could never leave Inuyasha.” Shippou watched the sun set with her, Kirara jumped up on Kagome’s lap and curled into a ball. Kagome absent-mindedly stroked her soft fur, unaware that they were being watched; by more than one pair of eyes.
             Inuyasha leaned on a building some distance away from Kagome, his keen ears picking up her soft-spoken conversation with Shippou. He sighed heavily and closed his tired eyes. He felt as though he hadn’t slept for weeks. Well I haven’t. He growled, if it hadn’t been for her running off like that I would have gotten to sleep. AND if she wouldn’t have run off she wouldn’t have gotten hurt and I could have slept! He sighed again, opening his eyes to watch Kagome climb painfully down from her low perch on the fence. It did no use to try and blame her for what had happened. She stood there holding Kirara, peacefully masking her pain and looking every bit as happy and beautiful as the first day he’d met her. He shifted from leaning to a quick seat with his arms crossed. It was just too much to bear, the thoughts in his head were causing him so much pain and he just couldn’t tolerate it much longer. He scowled and attempted to sort through the seemingly endless flood of questions and poor solutions. Closing his eyes once more to try and shut out the overwhelming emotions that threatened to betray his indifferent countenance.
            “Inuyasha?” a small voice interrupted, his eyes slowly opened, but only half way. “Can I sit with you?” Kagome asked.
            “For someone as injured as you, you sure do move quiet enough.” He grumbled. Kagome traded her weight from foot to foot and asked, “Does that mean I can?” Inuyasha humphed, which Kagome took to be a ‘yes’, she sat next to him. She sat for a long while watching the stars begin to poke through the evening’s twilight. When she suddenly spoke it was so quiet it strained Inuyasha’s superlative hearing to pick up her words, “I never thanked you for coming after me… if it weren’t for you…”            “Don’t.” Inuyasha interrupted.
            “…But… Inuyasha…” Kagome began again.
            “I don’t want to hear it.” He interrupted for the second time. The silence that followed was deafening.
“I almost lost you, the thought of that alone is hard enough to bear,” Inuyasha shocked Kagome. “So please, don’t… don’t ask me about it. Not just yet.”
            “Okay.” Kagome nodded, a small smile finally forming on her lips. She looked back up and surveyed the stars yet again, then looked toward Inuyasha and cautiously leaned her head on his shoulder. Startled by her touch he unfolded his arms and placed them on his knees. He shifted, but for once not out of discomfort, but rather to accommodate for the space she had to lean. He was about to speak when a quiet noise from her stopped him. He looked down and saw she had drifted to sleep. She’s probably exhausted. Inuyasha tentatively picked her up and cradled her close to him. Kagome opened her eyes briefly and gazed sleepily at him, total trust in her deep blue eyes. She quickly drifted back to sleep. Inuyasha carefully carried her to the hut and stepped inside the warmth and protection it promised.


A small smirk spread across the features of the face that had sat observing them throughout most of the day. Soon Inuyasha’s heart would be once again lost to the hands of a mortal… and then he would strike.

Chapter End Notes:

And thus begins the first of many Inuyasha stories ever posted. Thank you for the opportunity. More to come shortly.