- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A stranger approaches Kagome when she's alone. Kikyou uses the separation to her advantage once more. Inuyasha rushes to Kagome's aid, but is he too late?

Episode 2


            “WHAT?!” Inuyasha roared into Kaede’s face. The old woman stood still, unflinching, blinked once and continued, “The large fragment that hung on Kagome’s necklace was pushed into her chest. The wound has healed over it. The Shikon Jewel is once again within Kagome’s body. Only now, if it is removed her very life with be taken with it.” Inuyasha could feel his gut knot up at the thought of anybody ripping Kagome’s body apart. Noticing the flinch that flashed across his features Kagome interjected, “I’m sorry Inuyasha.” His head snapped toward where she was kneeling on the floor next to the fire, the bandage that was across her chest still visible right above her neckline. “What are you sorry for?” he growled. She sighed and closed her eyes, “Now that the Shikon no Tama is lodged inside me, we can’t make it whole… unless I…”
            “Don’t even say it!” Inuyasha growled, lower, louder. He knelt at her side, placed a hand on her back and drew her into his arms. Miroku, Sango, and Kaede looked on in shock and awe. Inuyasha held her head to him and reassured her, quietly so that only she could hear, “It doesn’t matter anymore if the jewel isn’t whole. It doesn’t matter if Kikyou ever approaches me again. It doesn’t matter if I don’t become a fully fledged demon. The ONLY thing that matters to me is you now. Protecting you. Saving you.” He pulled her to him even closer, but gently, “...the way you saved me.” Kagome’s face burned red as he held her for a few more moments. When she finally pulled away, she noticed the room had emptied. Kagome shifted, uncomfortable, “uh... Inuyasha…” she began, until he stopped her. “Don’t you know just how much you mean to me? Why won’t you just let me protect you? Why do you have to be such an idiot and go get yourself hurt?”
            “Now hold on just a minute!” Kagome said, pushing the hanyou back from her, tears beginning to well up in her eyes, “I did that because you are always protecting ME. You are always the one getting hurt! Why do you always get to protect me and I have no say about it? Why can’t I protect the person I….” she stopped, holding her tongue …the person I love. Inuyasha growled at being pushed away and stood up suddenly, abruptly pushing the hanging door aside and striding away from the hut. Leaving Miroku, Sango, Shippou looking embarrassed with their ears pressed against the thin wood in his wake. Miroku sighed, “That man doesn’t realize when he could have a good thing going.” Shippou looked at him quizzically, “what do you mean?” Miroku looked toward the door and went on absent-mindedly, “to think he had a ready and willing girl in his arms and he just left without so much as a…”
            “Ahem!”Sango said in unison with her boomerang contacting Miroku’s skull. Miroku sank to the ground, massaging his head ruefully, mutter incoherently do himself.


             That woman! Inuyasha thought, I finally say some things that are in my heart and she doesn’t even want hear them. She’s too busy trying to convince me that she should get to fight and… get hurt! He snorted, Ha, like I’d let her do something stupid like that. Saying stuff about how I always get hurt and how she should get to stand and fight beside me because she… she… she what? Why would she do that? He threw up his hands in exasperation I give up. He stopped his tirade and noticed he was near the bone eaters well. He looked back toward the village. His head hurting and his heart aching at what to do next.
            So much for sending her home to be safe… now that she has the jewel inside her she won’t be safe anywhere. He sighed heavily. It’s like fate doesn’t want me to leave her.

            “Oh that Inuyasha!” Kagome gritted her teeth together, stomping off into the forest, toward the Tree of Ages. “Once I find him I’m going to sit him so hard he won’t be able to stand for a week!” she muttered to herself. She stormed up to the tree and glared at it, tears brimming in her eyes, “what do you want from me!?” she sobbed. She leaned her head against its smooth trunk, “why did you bring me here?” She turned and slid down the tree until she rested against its large roots. Funny, she thought, usually when he’s upset he comes here…

               I wonder where she is?
Inuyasha wondered. Whenever I make her mad she usually heads straight for the well, intent on going home.


            A pair of green eyes watched Kagome as she settled into the tree. He memorized her face and voice, and realized just how intriguing his master found this young girl. He pondered how to get close enough to her without startling her. Anxious for his first greeting of this powerful girl he walked back toward the opening of the forest and began to make his way toward her, making sure to remain as visible as possible. When he was certain that she could make him out he took a deep breath and stepped into the clearing.
            “Excuse me, miss,” He began, aware that she was taking him in with a wary expression, her feet and hands position for her to dart away as soon as she felt the need. “I don’t mean to startle you but it appears that I’m lost. And I normally would try to find my way on my own but something about you seems so… familiar.”
            Kagome had observed him walking toward her from quite some distance. He was obviously making no attempt to conceal his being there. He stood nearly six feet tall with wild red hair and striking green eyes. His complexion was pale and gentle. Kagome thought it strange that he also seemed so very familiar to her. She took his greeting in stride, and not quite believing it, stood, and said with confidence, “You seem familiar as well, but I usually don’t make it a habit to talk to every stranger that happens my way.” He smiled politely, causing Kagome to shrink back against the tree when she caught a glimpse of his pronounced fangs.
            “Where are my manners? My name is Akio Naoki from the Western Lands. I’m afraid I haven’t been in this region before and have become quite backward in my directions.” He stated, while taking a couple more paces toward her.
            “My name is Kagome Higurashi and I’m not from around here either, I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be much help in directing you.” She said, returning the greeting while trying to edge her way around the trunk.
            “Am I making you nervous?” Akio asked.
            “I just don’t like trying to be fooled.” Kagome said, narrowing her eyes.
            “Fooled? What do you mean?” Akio said feigning innocence.
            “If you truly want to put me at ease then show me your true form.” She challenged. He stopped in his tracks and shook his head, “Clever girl,” he said, “Tell me, how you figured that out.” Kagome nearly tripped over an exposed root as she replied, “Humans don’t have fangs like you do and full demons can do a better job at masking their identity. From what I have seen you must be a half demon.”
            “Sounds to me like you know a great deal about demons for a human girl.” Akio smirked.
            “Wrong again,” Kagome said, smiling to herself and watching Akio’s smile fade, “if you were a full demon you also would be able to tell that I have powers of my own…” pulling a bow out from behind the tree and fixing an arrow in an instant, “…as a Miko.” The strain hurt her tender muscles but she daren’t let that show, her survival now depended on appearing to be the stronger of the two. The arrow glowed pink and Akio took a step back, but didn’t retreat completely. He smiled again, and shaking his head replied, “So touchy, very well, since you’ve been so kind as to show yourself at your best I’ll do the same. But I should warn you, I am full demon.” Kagome watched in awe and terror as he transformed before her. His hair turned a darker shade of red, with black streaks flecked throughout. His ears lengthened, pointed and turned black at the tips. His eyes remained green but the iris no longer was a human black but an intense blue. Down his muscular arms twin dark green markings spread until they almost ran up his hands, stopping at his wrists. On his neck a long string of beads, startlingly familiar, came into view. On it hung a small, very deep red ruby in the shape of a half moon. His voice changed dramatically as he said, “I’ve been waiting… Kikyou.”

Kagome’s bow dropped.


            The scent finally reached Inuyasha. Kagome’s sent drenched in fear. He leapt to his feet and flew in the direction of the tree. Of COURSE she’s in danger he thought. Mentally slapping himself for not going to the tree after the first five minutes of waiting. Stupid fool! Baka! You swear not to leave her, to always protect her, and within minutes what do you do?! His internal tirade continued until he caught wind of another scent, which almost paralyzed him. Oh no. Not her. Please no.


            “Wh…. What did you call me?” Kagome stammered. Akio crossed his arms, looking annoyed, “On no, not you my dear,” he cooed. “I didn’t mean you…” He turned his head sharply to Kagome’s right, “ahh, now that’s more like it.” Kagome looked over her shoulder just in time to see Kikyou’s dagger flash in the daylight before it plunged into her chest.

            Inuyasha’s howl was deafening. It tore through the air like a dying animal, abused, tortured, begging to stop living. He felt his heart being ripped in two as he watched Kagome crumple to the ground. He sprinted with all his might to her side, throwing Kikyou into the air, sending her crashing into a nearby tree where she limply slip down to its roots. He cradled her in his lap, his tears cascading down onto her face as he watched it pale in the sunlight. “No Kagome, not again,” He sobbed. “I could handle anything but this.” Seconds seemed an eternity as he waited for it to set in. A faint glow shown from her chest, and a panicked Inuyasha thought her soul was leaving her body, he held her tighter.

            “Inu…yasha…” he heard faintly. His head jerked toward the sound. Kikyou lay broken at the foot of the tree he had tossed her into, “do you… love her?” He shakily nodded his head. Kikyou softly smiled, “No… Inuyasha…” she said again, “do you love her?” Inuyasha looked down at Kagome’s serene face, smoothed her hair away from her cheeks and said, “I do… I love her.” He leaned down and kissed her weakly on the forehead, on her eye lids, and paused for a moment at her lips before whispering, “I love you more than anything, Kagome.”

            Kikyou’s muffled sigh made him look up as her body shone brightly for a moment then disappeared altogether. The orbs that remained hovered over Inuyasha for a moment before descending on Kagome’s still form. Inuyasha watched in wonder as Kikyou’s silhouette appeared before him, as she faded bit by bit she spoke, “I finally understand.” She smiled, reached out and touched Inuyasha’s face one last time, “You kept your promise. Now let me make one.” An instant passed and Kikyou’s form faded completely. Inuyasha looked down at Kagome anxiously, then her chest rose ever so slightly. Inuyasha sobbed loudly in relief and happiness. The glow in her chest remained and he heard a faint voice say, ‘at last, I am whole again…’

            He stood with Kagome safely in his arms and looked toward the setting sun,  “Arigato, Kikyou. Arigato… Midoriko.”


            Akio’s eyes burned as he watched the strong hanyou race back toward the village with his precious cargo. His master would not be pleased with him. That damned Miko. That did not go according to plan.
Chapter End Notes:



Akio - Hero
Naoki - Honest
Arigato - Thank you

I loved writing this piece. I hope to continue it soon! Review please, I need opinions!