- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Spoilers for Inuyasha, the first few episodes, as well as about, the first episode of Case Closed.

Kagome had been taken care of at the hospital, and Richard took them all back home only after because Rachel refused to leave her alone there. He didn't know why, and he really didn't care. If she was an orphan, she should go to an orphanage, or so he thought. But the others didn't seem to think so, and they got angry when he had brought that up. Though Kagome just fake smiled through it all, everyone could see that she was in more pain then she let on.

'She's wearing some kind of mask,' Rachel thought, as she looked at the girl who was sitting on her couch, just staring at the tv but not really watching what was on. 'Like me, when Jimmy's not around. I act all happy when I'm around others, but when I think I'm alone... I let it all out.'

Rachel was peeking at her through her barely open door. Richard and Conan were asleep. She was only awake because she had a nightmare about Jimmy, and that got her thinking about him constantly now. She knew she wasn't going to be able to sleep, so she had gone to her room door to open it, only to find Kagome outside. Feeling the need to hide, she watched her to see what she was doing. 'Poor girl...'

"I know you're awake, Rachel, and you're watching me."

Rachel jumped up in surprise. Kagome hadn't even turned around once, she was staring right at the tv. Unless she saw the reflection somehow in the tv screen... maybe it had something to do with the pink light she saw before.

"S-Sorry, Kagome," Rachel smiled weakly and walked out of her room, closing the door behind her. Kagome turned to look at her, blinking at seeing her red and puffy eyes.

"You've been crying."

Rachel wiped at her eyes, nodding slowly. "Kagome... have you ever heard of a detective named Jimmy Kudo? You live in Tokyo, so you must have."

Thinking back, the name sounded familiar to her, but she just couldn't place it before. She nodded. "I remember hearing his name before, and that he was a pretty good detective... I think he solved a mystery where I lived or something. That's all I know about him."

She sighed and looked down. "Did something happen to him?" Kagome got worried.

"He disappeared...it's been months now," Rachel whispered. "He took me on a date to one of the theme parks-- don't look at me like that!" Rachel exclaimed, blushing as she saw the sly smile on Kagome's lips. "---and he ran off. For some reason, I thought then I wouldn't be seeing him for a long time. Shortly after that, Conan appeared with our friend Dr. Agasa, who's a great professor who makes all of these wonderful inventions... though some of them work better than others."

Kagome sweatdropped. "I see...but don't you find it a bit odd, that Conan appeared right after Jimmy disappeared?"

Conan was peeking at them now through his door. They were talking about him... or rather, the person he used to be. Jimmy Kudo. An 18 year old, great detective. He always solved the case, no matter how hard it may be. But this one was very confusing. This had never happened before. Kagome looked human, but she had some... sort of ... was it magic? He didn't know, and he had never really believed in such things since he was a detective, and liked looking at the facts rather than other worldly things.

Kagome seemed just like your ordinary teenage girl who attended high school. But there was definitely something not ordinary about this girl. That pink glow. It still puzzled him. He sighed and closed the door, going back to lay on his bed. He didn't want to hear Rachel crying, he heard it enough when she thought no one was listening throughout the night.

"Rachel.... I wish I could tell you... I really do..." Conan murmured to himself, unaware that someone was watching him. Moments passed, but Conan remained awake still.

"I love you, Rachel... I wish I could tell you, but I'd rather tell you face to face than over the phone," he said to himself. "I promise, when I get back to my old self, I'll-"

He was interrupted moments later by a voice. "Conan?" he jumped as he looked over at the door, seeing Kagome.

"Y-You didn't hear any of that, did you?" he laughed nervously. Kagome just laughed softly and smiled, nodding.

"I heard when you first mentioned you wished you could tell her."

Conan sighed, staring at the ground. She walked inside and sat down on the bed beside him. "Conan, you're not really a kid are you? No normal 10 year old boy talks and acts the way you do."

The detective turned kid looked up at her with teary eyes, and this shocked Kagome.

"I heard Rachel tell you the story...half of it anyway... I did disappear at that park we were at. I saw something I shouldn't have seen, and these thugs in black hit me over the head, knocking me out. Then they said they'd be testing their latest poison on me, in hopes that it would kill me I guess."

"But instead, it turned you into a kid?" Kagome asked, tilting her head.

"Yeah," he nodded. "At first, I really thought I was gonna die...it felt like my bones were melting... that I was on fire... I didn't know how much longer I could take it. But then, all of a sudden I heard some cops calling to each other about a little boy who was hurt."

"That must've been a shocker," Kagome commented. He nodded again.

"Tell me about it," Conan said to her. "But I've gotten used to it... the best I can anyway. Besides you, Dr. Agasa, the man Rachel told you about earlier, is the only one that knows I'm really Jimmy Kudo. He helps me keep my identity a secret, and makes all these really cool inventions for me to help bring criminal to justice."

"So I'm assuming you're how Richard got so famous?" Kagome asked with a small smirk in her voice.

Conan blinked, then laughed and rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah. Did Rachel tell you?"

"Yeah. She said that whenever he would really solve a case, he would be sitting down in a chair... almost as if he were sleeping. But his head was always bowed, so it was hard to tell."

Conan pointed to his bowtie. "This is a voice changer. It's how I imitate Richard's voice." He demonstrated it for her by turning it on and programming it to Kagome's voice, which he had only now put in. Kagome's eyes widened....her voice coming out of his small body....weird.

He then pointed to the wrist watch on his left hand. "This is a Stun-dart watch. I use it to put Richard to sleep so I can solve the case, and it's the only way they'll actually listen to me."

Kagome nodded in understanding. Of course, no one ever really listened to kids.

"So, what do you plan to do now?" Kagome asked him, interested in everything he was saying.

"Find out who did this to me, find their hide out, and bring them to justice, find an antidote as well," Conan replied with a nod. "I can't have them roaming around with that poison. If they turn more than me into kids who knows what could happen. But I can't do it as Jimmy Kudo. No one but you and Dr. Agasa must know who I am, because if word got out that I'm still alive, the Organization would come after those I care about."

Kagome nodded. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." She smiled, and for some reason, he felt like he could trust her.

"So, what's your story, Kagome? I've told you mine," Conan stated, and she knew it was true. She sighed.

"Mine's a real fairy tale, are you sure you wanna hear it?" Kagome asked. When he nodded she continued.

"Alright. Well, everything was normal until my fifteenth birthday. I'd never once believe in magic....ghosts...demons...that sort of thing. Until then, that is. I lived in a shrine with my mother, grandfather, and younger brother, that had a smaller house with a well inside. The well was said to be the Bone Eater's well. It's original use in the Sengoku period was to dispose of the remains of slain demons, hence the name Bone Eater's Well. On my fifteenth birthday, I found Souta in the well house looking for our family cat, Buuyo. He had apparantely run inside. We weren't supposed to be in the well house, but we went in anyway to find Buuyo.

"I had my back turned to the well when all of a sudden the cat jumped out of nowhere. I was about to leave, when suddenly, the well started glowing, and something pulled me down into it, demanding I gave it something called the Shikon Jewel."

Conan blinked in surprise. "I heard about that! But I thought that it was just-"

"A myth? A legend?" Kagome asked. He nodded. "I know. So did I. Anyway, it pulled me down, away from my brother, away from my time all together. Remember when I told you about the Sengoku period?"

Conan nodded. "That was around the 1500's... right?"

"Right," Kagome nodded. "That's where the centipede was from, and it took me there. However, down the well, I put out my hand as if to push it away, but a blast of pink energy came out of it, like you saw earlier today. It happens when I'm scared. I thought I had killed it, because it wasn't moving. But when I climbed out, I met the most interesting boy. He wore a gaudy red outfit, a haori, he had long, silver hair that went way past his shoulders, and he had golden eyes. That may have been the strange thing to you- but believe me, it's not. He had dog ears. But he was also asleep, pinned to a tree."

Why did all of this sound so familiar? Like he had heard this fairytale before? The story of the miko and hanyou who fell in love but thought they betrayed one another... he attacked her, demanding she hand the jewel over to him, and took it when she was weak enough so she couldn't move. With the last of her strength, she pinned the hanyou to the tree.

He voiced his thoughts to Kagome, who blinked in surprise. "That's it exactly! The miko's name was Kikyou, and the half-demon was Inuyasha. Did you hear anything else about the story?"

Conan nodded. "Yeah. That the miko died after pinning the half-demon to a tree for fifty years. Also, that she burned the jewel with her body, and she was reincarnated into another woman who reappeared fifty some years later after her death, releasing the half-demon from his sleep."

Kagome pointed to herself, a small sad smile on her face. "I'd be that miko."

Conan's eyes bulged out of his head and he nearly fell off the bed in shock. "You're Kikyou's reincarnation!? Unbelievable! Show me proof." He needed proof to believe such a thing.

Kagome nodded, taking out something from her pocket. In her hand was a small, pink jewel that seemed to glow in the palm of her hand. "This is the shikon jewel. The one that you said burned with Kikyou's body. It came out of my body when the centipede demon that dragged me down the well bit me in the side, proving to the world I was Kikyou's reincarnation." He noticed the bitterness in her voice as she said the last two words. . . did she have a problem with Kikyou?

"Wow," Conan stared at the jewel in awe. It seemed to have some sort of power, it was like it was drawing him to it. "That's the jewel from the legend-er....story now, since it's true."

Kagome chuckled and slowly nodded. "That's right." She tucked it back inside her pocket and then yawned, looking over at the clock. "It's getting really late, we should get some sleep Conan. . . or should I say Jimmy now?"

Conan laughed and rubbed the back of his head. "You can when we're alone, just like now. Or when we're with Dr. Agasa. But other than that, call me Conan when we're with others."

"Okay, I'll remember that," Kagome smiled. This time Conan yawned. She smiled and ruffled his hair, making him huff.

"Get some sleep, I might be able to help you with that problem of yours in the morning," she winked at him, walking out of his room, leaving him confused.

Kagome climbed into bed and sighed. Looking at the bed next to hers, she saw Rachel sleeping. Good...she didn't hear anything... I hope... she thought to herself as she climbed into bed. Today had been a long day, and she needed her rest.