- Text Size +

Chapter 28 - Lunch Date

 

*Aquarium of the Moon* (Stella's Soundtrack Challenge 2)

 

Sesshoumaru had a hard time deciding on where he would take the miko for his date. He'd decided it had to be within walking distance of the well because he didn't know if she would be comfortable flying with him on his youki cloud. Once the area was narrowed down, he'd settled on what he hoped she would like.

 

When the taiyoukai guided Kagome to the edge of a pool of water, the miko gasped. "It's beautiful. I had no idea this was here," she exclaimed.

 

Sesshoumaru took in the trickling waterfall that dribbled down a rock face into the still pool of water, surrounded by large rocks, and smirked. He'd been successful in impressing her! "The villagers avoid this pool because it is inhabited by fish youkai. It is a pity we will not be here after dark. The fish glow and during the night, you can see them darting about."

 

"That sounds amazing," she agreed. "Maybe you can bring me back here some time so we can see it. Are the fish dangerous?"

 

"I would not recommend putting any part of your body in the water. The fish are carnivorous and very fast. Watch," he said while tossing a pebble in the water. They both watched as fish darted out of nowhere at the movement of the water, searching for prey.

 

"Wow, they're like piranhas."

 

"Piranhas?" Sesshoumaru asked.

 

"They're fish that live in South America. They move in groups like that and can kill and eat something, down to the bone, in seconds."

 

"Then yes, they are very much like piranhas," Sesshoumaru agreed.

 

"Will they jump out of the water?" Kagome asked.

 

"No, they do not jump," he assured her.

 

*Chocolate is Missing* (Stella's Soundtrack Challenge 2)

 

"Then let's set up our picnic right here on the edge," she suggested, pulling out the blanket she'd brought from the picnic basket she carried. Sesshoumaru quickly moved to help her lay it out flat and then watched as she unpacked unfamiliar containers of food. He couldn't smell the contents, which confused him and made him that much more curious about what she'd brought. "Oh crap, I forgot our dessert. Oh, well. Too late now. So, how have you been lately?"

 

"Since you were in your time, I was able to catch up on my paperwork."

 

"Oh? Is that all you did for the last few days?"

 

"It was, and it was very tedious."

 

"You know, you wouldn't have so much work backed up if you weren't sneaking around stalking me all the time. Now that we're seeing each other," she started, pausing when she saw the confused expression on his face. She set out to clarify. "Now that we're dating, courting, whatever, you really don't need to be watching me all the time."

 

"I am not sure that I know how to not watch you anymore," he confessed. He'd been doing so for so long, watching her from the shadows, that he wouldn't know what to do with himself without being near her. He had grown dependant on her scent and the sound of her voice and he knew he would miss it like crazy if he were to stop stalking her.

 

Kagome laughed softly. "Instead of watching me from the shadows, why don't you just come out and sit with me? It's not as if you'd be interrupting anything once we've stopped for the night. Really, you could even walk with us during the day if you wanted to, if you could keep from fighting with Inuyasha, that is."

 

Sesshoumaru smirked and mentally celebrated. She welcomed his presence, even invited it! That was a plus if he'd ever seen one. Maybe he was finally making progress with the miko he desired. "I doubt the hanyou would be happy to have me around."

 

"Not everything is up to him," she said while starting to pop the lids off the plastic containers containing their meal. She giggled as his nose twitched. "Hungry?"

 

"What is all of this?" he asked.

 

Kagome spend the next few minutes introducing Sesshoumaru to several different foods from her time. She would tell him what it was, how it was made, and then offer him a taste. The taiyoukai greatly enjoyed her attention being focused on him, as well as the food she'd prepared and he told her so. Once everything was identified, she made them each a plate and the couple ate in relative silence, every now and then discussing what they were eating.

 

*Words of Love that Bind the Heart* (Stella's Soundtrack Challenge 2)

 

Once they were finished, Kagome began to pack up the empty containers. Sesshoumaru was worried that their date was over, but once she was finished, the miko turned to the taiyoukai with a smile. "So, tell me more about you."

 

"What would you like to know?" he asked, unsure of where to start.

 

"What do you do with your time besides stalking and paperwork?"

 

Sesshoumaru thought for a moment before responding. "I spend a lot of time patrolling my lands, ensuring that everything is as it should be. Rin and Jaken usually accompany me, so I visit a great deal of flower-filled fields. She loves discovering new kinds of flowers and bringing them back to the palace to identify."

 

Kagome smiled. "You really love her, don't you?"

 

The taiyoukai's eyes widened in surprise. He'd never considered it before. Did he love Rin? He cared about her a great deal and always wanted his little girl to be happy. Yes, he decided. He did love her. He loved her as if she was his own pup, and he told Kagome just that.

 

"That's so sweet," the miko cooed. "Just like how I consider Shippo my son. Kids are hard to resist, aren't they. They just kind of sneak their way into your heart and you love them before you even know it. I can't imagine my life without my little kit. It's nice to know you have a soft side."

 

"Soft?" Sesshoumaru asked, somewhat offended by her comment. He was by no means soft in any way in his opinion.

 

"That you're not all tough guy, that you have feelings and can love someone. I know you're strong and powerful, but that was really the only side of you I've seen. You always try to seem emotionless and cold, but you're not. You can't be if you love that sweet little girl."

 

The taiyoukai thought about it for a moment without nodding. She hadn't meant it as an insult and she was right. The emotionless mask he wore during battle was just that, a mask, and it was okay to show Kagome what was underneath it. He had to if he ever wanted to win her heart.