- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

Human Cruelty Knows No Bounds

Rising tendrils of the morning sun peeked over the hilltops, the air becoming overwhelmed with the sound of songbirds. As the darkness of the night dispersed, Kagome forced herself to her feet, head bowed. Shrouded in the new morning light, Death itself stood before, examining her with an amused twinkle in its eyes. She had learned to live with that sort of examination; she had endured his fervent gaze for many days now-five to be exact. But-no matter how many times she tried-she could not help the shivers that overtook her body. She was scared; she couldn’t help it. The last few days had been torture. She had been forced to walk through many different terrains, and was exhausted from the effort. Of course, Death had watched her casually from his perch on a gelding, a smirk on his chapped lips. His powerful gaze was enough to make her cringe. And-through that action-she felt an eloquent sense of fear.

Sleep deprived and weary from travelling, Kagome’s tears were instantly relinquished whenever they came to her eyes; she was too exhausted to cry now. Still, a ribbon of hope weaved itself around her that her savior would come for her; that he would save her from this escapade. The demon hunters-as she heard them call themselves multiple times-had expressed no fear in the fact that she belonged to a hanyou, and that that hanyou would certainly thirst for revenge because of her kidnapping. She knew Inuyasha would be furious if he knew, and she clung to that thought as if her life depended on it.Death-or, so she called him; his name was still unknown-snickered as she stumbled.

“You’re lucky, wench,” he said flatly. “Our travelling days will be over soon. Try not to keel over before we reach the palace; you won’t serve us any justice if you’re dead.”

She nodded in response, unwilling to figure out exactly what would come out her defiance.

When she felt the lack of eyes on her, Kagome rubbed her stomach, hoping to soothe the pup that grew underneath her fingertips. Papa will come for you, she wanted to say. Papa will not let those evil men touch you.

A man saw what she was doing and called out to Death. Death halted his horse and dismounted, roughly handing the reins to a subordinate. He strode up to her, the dirt cackling underneath his boots. His dark eyes were narrowed, the wind running its fingers through his black hair. Kagome shrank back at his approach. She whimpered when someone grabbed her by the forearms, halting her retreat.He elevated her chin so that her eyes would meet his.

“You are a nuisance,” he snarled. “Why anyone would want you as their wife is beyond me. Don’t show any affection to that hanyou-spawn’s child; it will only quicken its death, as well as your own. It would be best not to test me when I’m in such a foul mood. Am I understood?”

She resisted the urge to spit in his face, but nodded to his question.

“Hmph. Watch her carefully,” Death instructed to his men, releasing his hold on her chin. His men nodded in agreement, murmuring words of consent as Death mounted his gelding. With a sharp command, they continued to move once again.

Threat or no threat, I’m not going to let them hurt Inume, Kagome told herself desperately, willing herself to believe it. I’m not going to blow Inuyasha’s one chance at happiness.

They travelled as the sun climbed higher into the sky. By the time they reached an abandoned castle, Kagome felt as if her feet would fall off. They marched past the castle gates and into the courtyard, where a crowd of demon hunters awaited. Women, men, and children watched with wide eyes as she was led into their sight, their eyes drifting to her stomach. She could see the disgust in their eyes; their fear. They cowered away from her when she came in proximity of them.

Death reined his horse in her direction, shouting, “This is the mate of a hanyou-spawn; his personal concubine, if you please. Now that she is pregnant, the hanyou will steal the child away, and leave her alone, just as she deserves. I doubt we need more abominations running around, do we?” At the chorus of “no’s,” he added, “The hanyou will come for her; of that we are sure. And we will kill him as well as his child! Then, then woman would learn the true meaning of suffering. Let them learn the stupidity of a hanyou and a human becoming man and wife-becoming mates! Humans and demons-especially half demons-should never be together!”

The crowd raised their fists to the air, calling out insults to Kagome as she was led away. Despite their insults, she wasn’t ashamed; she loved Inuyasha with all her heart, and she would not let a crowd of demon hunters alter her opinion of him.

Kagome felt a sense of apprehension as she was ushered into the dungeon by two hunters. Rubbing her stomach and murmuring sweet nothings, she suppressed a shiver at the sudden drop of temperature. The room was dark and damp; she could barely see what was in front of her eyes, and was glad for the torch that one of the men carried. In the cells, she could vaguely see a variety of demons. Some-to her horror-were dead. The men merely sneered in their direction and pushed her forward, not caring what her reaction was. By the time they reached her designated cell, she was near tears. She was pushed inside, and the barred door was shut behind her. A lock clicked.

The man with the torch chuckled. “This is what you get for settling down with a hanyou, you despicable wench. It’s a wonder we’ve let you live this long! Don’t worry, though; we won’t have to wait long.”

The men laughed as they departed, leaving Kagome to wonder what they meant.The darkness set in after the departure of the torch.

“What do they mean?” she whispered to no one in particular, fear lacing her tone. “What’s going on?”

“They’re going to kill you.”

She strained her eyes to peer through the darkness, and was shocked at the sight of a female demon in the cell in front of hers. She could barely see the waterfall of red hair that fell to the girl’s hips, or the familiar tail attached to the girl’s rump. Kagome gasped in realization. “You’re a kitsune!”

The girl nodded. “Yes. My name is Tilita, and I am from the north.”

“Why were you captured?”

Tilita scoffed. “Because I’m a demon; I thought that was obvious. And-because I’m captured-that gives them the excuse to do unspeakable things to me. You’re the lucky one; you actually get to escape this place!”

Kagome nearly choked. “W-what do you mean?”

“I mean that you’re going to die tomorrow, execution-style.”

“And that’s a good thing?”

Tilita’s expression softened. “You’re human, and you’re pregnant. All they have to do is kill the baby, and then use you in whatever way they want. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you became their concubine in the next few days, if they take a liking to you. But-because they’re trying to kill your mate-they’re just going to kill you, simple as that. Do you know how many of us would beg for such liberation? We’re lucky to get fed!”K

agome sank to her knees, a sob wrenching from her throat. Tears sprang into her eyes. “We have to get out of here,” she whispered.

“Trust me, we’ve tried. Unfortunately, we’re in the lair of the demon hunters; they have all the weapons, and they could kill us before we take a step. That’s what happened to most of the demons that escaped. But, since you’re human-and pregnant, at that-I doubt you could leave.”

“I can try.”

Through the darkness, Kagome could see Tilita roll her eyes. “Fine, but you’re only quickening your death. Plus, you’re going to die tomorrow morning, and the guard doubles at night. How do you expect to make it out?” At her lack of reply, she sighed irritably. “I knew it. You humans are all the same; you act so tough, yet you can’t back it up. Be thankful for death, stupid; it’ll get you out of this crap.”

Kagome-lost in the tide of her sorrow-could not offer a reply.

..::OO::..

“What do you mean ‘she’s gone?’” Inuyasha demanded of the messenger, the color of his eyes shifting between amber and crimson.

He had been in a trivial meeting with Sesshomaru about the pup’s inheritance-which was not interesting in the least-when a messenger had burst through the doors, asking for Inuyasha. The messenger grew pale as he relayed the message to the flustered hanyou, who watched him like a dingo watches a human baby. He didn’t expect the furious response that emanated off of the recipient once the effect of the message set in.

“Lord Miroku and Lady Sango said that she was simply gone, and that they couldn’t find her,” the messenger stammered. “Lord Miroku said that it was urgent that you return.”

Inuyasha slammed his fist down on the table, causing the messenger to flinch. “They should’ve been looking after her! How could she go missing?”

“Do not expect your human companions to do your own job for you, little brother,” Sesshomaru admonished. “If you had brought your wench with you, she would’ve received the greatest accommodations. In fact, I assumed that you would bring her along. Do not blame others for your mistake; it is your job to protect her, and you failed.”

“Shut up, Sesshomaru! I never asked for your input.”

“No, but you needed to hear it from somebody.”

Inuyasha shut his eyes as his demon blood threatened to take over. His Tetsusaiga was at his hip; of that he was sure, but it did nothing to dissipate the inevitable takeover of his other blood.

Kagome, he thought, picturing her facial features. Kagome! I will protect you this time; I won’t let anyone hurt you again! I promise!

His eyes flashed open, the irises as red as the blood that would soon stain his claws.He pushed past the awestruck messenger and made his way towards the exit.I’m coming, Kagome; don’t worry.

..::OO::..

She didn’t succumb to sleep as easily as she wished. Once she was half asleep, a disturbing image would flash before her closed eyelids, and she would bolt awake, sweat beading on her forehead. The darkness offered her no comfort; it only seemed to increase her fear, if anything. In front of her, she could hear Tilita pace inside her cell, murmuring incoherent words under her breath.

Sensing the kitsune’s tension, Kagome asked, “Do you have a family?”

Tilita paused in her excessive movements. Kagome didn’t have to have night vision to see the pained expression that flickered on the girl’s face. “Yeah, I’ve got a family. In fact, I have a mate, and a son named Toyito. The demon hunters were trying to take my son, but I got captured instead. I don’t regret it.”

Kagome raised an eyebrow. “What about your mate? Has he ever attempted to save you?”

“Once. He was killed, and they made me watch as they cremated his body. I don’t know what happened to my son.”

“I’m sorry for making you remember such a painful memory; it’s not my place to ask you such a personal question.”

Tilita shrugged. “S’alright; I don’t care. What’s done is done, and there’s nothing I can do to change what fate has laid out for me. I just…I just hope that my son is okay; that he’s alive.”

Kagome offered her a small smile. “I’m sure he’s just fine.”

“Yeah…you’re probably right. So, what’s your story?”

“I’m an inu-hanyou’s mate,” she said quietly. “I was captured a few days ago near our village. He had to leave to speak to his brother, and he couldn’t bring me along, so I was left behind. But I was taken by the demon hunters, and that’s how I ended up here.

”“His brother is Lord Sesshomaru of the West, isn’t he?”

Surprised by Tilita’s reply, Kagome said, “Yes, he is. How do you know?”

“They speak of Inuyasha a lot around here; I assumed that he was your mate. A lot of people were surprised that Sesshomaru was his brother.” She laughed without a trace of humor. “I was surprised; Sesshomaru is one intimidating demon. I met him-once-by accident, and he nearly wiped me off the planet with his sword. Luckily, I managed to escape. Please tell me that your mate is not as idiotic as his brother?”

She laughed. “Sometimes, but he’s truly a great mate; I don’t think I could live without him. Sesshomaru…well, they don’t get along much, but sometimes you can see the resemblance between the two.”

“I can imagine.” Tilita was silent for a moment before reluctantly asking, “Do you really think we’ll get out of here?”

“Without a doubt,” Kagome replied bluntly.

“I…I hope you’re right. I want to see my son again.” By her tone, Kagome knew that the kitsune was near tears.

Kagome gripped one of the bars with one hand, staring at Tilita as she wiped away her tears. “You’re going to be fine,” she whispered. “I promise.”

Tilita snorted through her tears. “Promises mean nothing to me at this point; a promise won’t save me from death; a promise won’t bring back my mate. Why should I believe in your promises?”

“Have some faith, okay? If it’s not for getting out of here, then have faith in me; I promise I’ll find a way to get you all out of here.”

“You sound determined…”

Kagome smirked. “Maybe because I am.”

“You’re either really, really kind, or really, really stupid.”

“Compassion and annoyance are one and the same; without one, you cannot have the other. They are intertwined, and yet people misuse their purposes. You can choose to show kindness, but can you choose to become annoyed and bitter? Kindness is a choice, whether it’s positive or negative. Bitterness? Annoyance? Yes, I believe they are a choice. When did humanity become a race of theft, deceit, and lies? When did we succumb to bloody wars that ravaged the world? When did people start to take the fragile lives of others, and find joy in the process? Human cruelty knows no bounds.”

Kagome frowned as she replayed Kaede’s wise words. Releasing her grip on the bar, she settled back down into a comfortable position, preparing to fall asleep once again. Human cruelty knows no bounds, she mused, shutting her eyes. Is that really true?

She allowed sleep to take her then.