- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha

Eclipse Of The Heart

At first, he didn’t know how to react.

Her smile was still intact despite her lack of life. The blood was soiling his fingertips, his claws becoming bright red with her blood. He could smell her fear of death no matter how hard she tried to hide it; she couldn’t conceal it behind a smile this time. Vaguely he could feel his tears cup his cheeks. He couldn’t stand to watch another woman die in his arms; not like this. First Kikyo, and then Kagome…it was too stifling to bear. But this new pain…it seemed to slaughter his heart to miniscule fragments. The

agony was undeniable as it was excruciating; he couldn’t bear to lose her, not yet. To be subject to this pain for his whole life could easily defile all he worked so hard to build. He wanted her to be the mother of his children; he wanted her to wake up by his side for the rest of their lives, and to live with him throughout the ages. They had deserved it after all this pandemonium, haven’t they?

The pain that struck Inuyasha then was worse than a sword to the heart; worse than losing Kikyo all over again. Her body was limp in his arms, and he couldn’t halt the torrent of tears that sprung from his eyes. Moaning like a wounded animal, he clutched her to his chest.

Distantly, Inuyasha heard the yells of the demon hunters, and the brandishing of weapons. But he didn’t care about the approaching danger.

She was gone; she was far beyond his reach.And Inuyasha couldn’t help but be swallowed up by his own grief.

Vaguely, he could feel his youkai blood overwhelming his body. His eyes flashed crimson, adrenaline searing through his body. His heart eclipsed into his youkai heart. Gently laying Kagome down on the grass, the hanyou slowly rose to his feet. No one in the courtyard missed the red that glinted in his normally amber eyes. Inuyasha lunged forward, Tetsusaiga absent from his hand, and brought his claws down in the direction of the nearest demon hunter.

The man let lose a horrid scream as the blood gushed from his wound, his life seeping out of his body. He fell to the ground, obviously dead.

Like ants, the men started towards them, weapons aimed at his heart. Surprised by the agility and speed of the hanyou-gone-youkai, the men had little time to react before Inuyasha’s claws were upon them. Their weak assaults on him were easily thwarted; they barely fought back against him as his claws tore them all to shreds. Finally, he cornered the man who had killed his mate; his Kagome.

The man was in the corner of the courtyard, his sword raised to defend himself against Inuyasha. The sword trembled in his grasp as Inuyasha advanced toward him.

Inuyasha flexed his claws, sending the man a murderous scowl. “You’ll pay for what you did,” he snarled. “She didn’t deserve it!”

“She did deserve it, half-breed,” the man retorted, feigning bravery. “She mated you, a disgrace to all youkai! She deserved to die for her stupidity, as well as her child.”

Anger seared through Inuyasha at his words.

 “You will die for what you have done!” he seethed.

With a growl, he released the fury of his claws. Upon impact, the man was stabbed with unimaginable pain; it was something that not even he could fight back against. The darkness closed over his eyes like wildfire, and his final breath receded from his lungs. He collapsed into the dirt, his screams dying away on the wind like an echo of a memory. 

Narrowed crimson irises surveyed the landscape, obviously disgusted. Littered remains of human bodies decorated the span of his vision, the stench of decay assaulting his sensitive nostrils. As his eyes returned to their normal color, and the tattoos faded from his cheeks, he turned to his fallen mate.

Her ebony hair framed her ashen face, her blood soaking her kimono. This image taunted his sanity and threatened to throw him over the edge. She was dead; her chest neither rose nor fell to symbolize breathing, and her once rosy cheeks were as pale as a fish’s belly. And he knew-despite the hope that it might not be true-that his unborn child was dead as well.

“Kagome…” he mumbled, almost incoherently. He choked on his tears.

Risking a glance at his claws, he winced at the blood that smeared his fingertips. She would not approve of this; she would not approve this massacre. It was clear that the ball was in his fate’s court, and that he was simply a bystander, waiting for the outcome of the game.

In the midst of his thoughts, he was dumb to the blanket of rain that draped itself over his shoulders. Moisture soaked his body, causing him to release a violent shiver. The chilled air laid unmerciful kisses on his exposed skin as he gathered his dead mate in his arms, a scowl embedding itself on his face. His destination was clear.

He didn’t know how long he traveled, but his strive was clear. His legs propelled him forward, unaffected by exhaustion or grief. By sundown, he found himself at the Western Palace.

He brushed past servants and guards who dared to halt his advance, and soon found himself in the presence of Sesshomaru himself in the borders of the demon lord’s study.

The elder demon lord paused to distinguish Inuyasha’s physique before removing his eyes to the girl who lay in his arms. His eyes neither widened nor filled with tears, but remained impassive and calculating. His eyes swept over Inuyasha’s bloodied claws.

“It seems you have been busy, little brother,” Sesshomaru mused.

“Feh. Don’t try my patience, Sesshomaru.” Inuyasha gestured to Kagome. “Save her.”

Sesshomaru frowned. “She is dead.”

“I kinda figured that out,” Inuyasha sneered. “Use the freaking Tenseiga and save her! Save her and the pup!”

“I assume it is the death of your wench that sent you over the edge, has it not?” Sesshomaru ignored Inuyasha’s growl as he rose to his feet.

 “Do not call her a ‘wench!’” Inuyasha snarled. “Please, just save her and the pup! I’ll get on my knees and beg if you want me to. Just…please…”

Sesshomaru seemed pensive for a moment, his gaze locked on the dead, smiling face of his brother’s mate. As if unconsciously, he unsheathed the Tenseiga.

“I will save your mate, and your pup,” he finally answered. He scoffed at Inuyasha’s surprised expression. “Do not misunderstand; I am only committing this act for the pup, since she will be the heir to the Western lands. But I warn you…the pup may not be able to be saved.”

Sesshomaru raised the sword, briefly admiring the imps of the underworld with narrowed eyelids. He sliced through the unworldly beings without strain, and exiled them to the underworld once more. They melted away with a cry of pain. He sheathed the blade as the girl’s soul returned to her body.

“It is done,” he said simply.Inuyasha pressed Kagome to his chest as she breathed her first breath of life. He glanced up at Sesshomaru, unconcealed gratitude in his amber irises.

“Thank you,” he said sincerely. “What is my consequence?”

“No consequence; just leave. I do not want human and hanyou filth in my castle if I do not need it.”

Inuyasha nodded. “I will leave.”

Carrying his mate, Inuyasha left the Western Palace.

..::OO::..

Shinigami cursed at the scene before his eyes. Littered remains of humans soiled the dirt beneath his feet, the scent in the air enough to cause him to wrinkle his nose. Lady Sayurhi will not be pleased, he thought bitterly. The hanyou will pay for this.Suddenly, the intoxicating scent of blood reached his nose. He smiled at the aroma.

 “So, the men have not failed me after all,” he mused. “The girl is dead. Now it is the hanyou’s turn.”

Turning on his heel, Shinigami fled the scene.

..::OO::..

A spasm of apprehension coursed through Kagome's entire being when she opened her eyes from the invisible lock that held her eyelids together. She inhaled sharply at the adjoining darkness. She was simply floating in midair, her arms wrapped around her. The fear glided down her spine and caused perspiration to bead on her forehead. W-where am I? she asked herself, her eyes darting around the barren landscape in utter fear and despair. Tears brimmed in her pinecone eyes. What's going on?

The realization hit her like a bus: she was dead.

 Wait! I can’t be dead, she insisted to the darkness, unable to speak the words that flew to her lips. I’m not dead! I can’t be! Inuyasha…where are you?

It was then that she was hit with the realization that she was never going to see him again.

Ever.

“He is alive, Kagome.

She nearly jumped out of her skin at the unfamiliar voice, eyes wide and filled with tears.

“He is waiting for you.”

Waiting for me? she thought. Is that…even possible? I thought I was dead.

“You must go to him. Do you want him?”

Her heart swelled.

"I want Inuyasha," she whispered, covering her face with her hands as tears spilled from her eyes.

Intense sobs wracked her body.She was astonished when heat kissed her skin and light appeared through her eyelids. She opened her eyes and removed her hands from her face. A void of bright white light was surrounding her, drowning her entire body in an ocean of untainted light. Kagome could feel herself falling, and a spark of hope ignited within her as she clung to consciousness. Perhaps this was her escape; perhaps she would make it out and be reunited with her beloved Inuyasha.The thought sent thrills through her.

The light consumed her, and Kagome opened her eyes.