- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

Negotiations

 It was almost impossible to comprehend the turnout of these morbid events.

At first, he thought his eyes were deceiving him. Was this really the girl he had fallen in love with those few years ago? Was this really the girl he had vowed to keep safe, no matter the consequence? Her eyes were the same, much to his pleasure; they still shone with innocence and purity, their color like melted chocolate. And, her hair…it was still the same shade of glistening ebony, but it was longer, and reached her waist now.

Another difference was the baby cuddled against her chest, her golden eyes peering up at her mother with newfound wonder. Inuyasha watched the two interact with a grin on his face, his-their-daughter clutching onto Kagome’s kimono with tiny fingers. But he was suddenly saturated in sorrow as he watched his daughter open and close her mouth, no words or sounds escaping from her throat.

He would never hear their daughter speak her first word, or any words at all.

She was mute.

He clasped his hand to his forehead, squeezing his eyes shut. The meeting with the village healer had proven the couple’s theory: Inume had a birth defect due to her resurrection from the Tenseiga, and she would never utter a sound in her whole life. The news nearly broke Kagome, but she was instantly relieved of such pain when she learned that her daughter would indeed live. Inuyasha, however, could not forgive himself so easily.

It was his fault; he knew it was. Because of his lack of protection, Inume would never speak to him, and Kagome was forever scarred; a large scar now marred the skin under her kimono, its size as large as the blade of a sword. The scar was his punishment for his crime, and yet his mate had to bear it for him.

Inuyasha released a low growl.

“Inuyasha? Are you okay?”

He glanced up at his mate, her fawn eyes drenched with worry. She had grown up; this incident had definitely aged her several years. The music of her voice was as angelic as it had been when she was still a youthful fifteen year old, yet it was colored with a knowing tone; a tone that indicated that she had seen many unimaginable things, and that she had gained experience from their lessons.

“Kago-” He started to say her name, but he didn’t wish to ripple her pool of happiness with his words.

He was rendered speechless just by staring into her ageless brown eyes.

“Something wrong?” Kagome suddenly asked, drawing him from his trance.

“Keh. It’s nothing,” he responded quickly, avoiding her eyes.

She suddenly leaned into his side, her head resting on his shoulder. A shaky sigh escaped her lips. “What are you not telling me, koibito? Please; I promise I can handle it.”

“Kagome-”

“No arguments, please,” she said, cutting him off. Her sharp tone certainly addressed her role as a mother, despite how foreign she was to the job.

He lowered his lips to hers.

Her soft lips against his caused tingles to surge through him. At first she was shocked by his sensual declaration, but eventually gave in, her arms wrapping around his neck. His fingers became tangled in the mane of her hair, her intoxicating aroma nearly causing him to become drunk with pleasure. He was saturated by the effect of the blissful kiss; he couldn’t help but try to deepen it.

He was disappointed when she leaned away, her cheeks tinted pink.

“I couldn’t breathe,” she explained at his dejected expression. “Are you sure you’re okay? You seem…off. Please, Inuyasha; tell me what’s going on!”

Inuyasha cringed as her voice relayed her tension. “I…I can’t stand it,” he confessed.

“Stand what?”

“I can’t stand that I can’t atone for what I did!” he finally said, his words confined in a shout. “I can’t stand knowing that Inume will never speak again because I couldn’t protect the two of you! If I hadn’t made it in time…if I hadn’t been there…Kagome, the two of you could’ve actually died, and there would be no way to bring you back.”

“You know I forgive you,” she told him gently. “And I’m sure that Inume will understand, too. Don’t blame yourself, Inuyasha; it’ll drag you down.”

Inuyasha shook his head incredulously. “I know what I did…”

She sighed, placing the now sleeping Inume in the wooden cradle beside the futon before attempting to rise to her feet. She swayed, nearly falling onto the floor, before Inuyasha caught her by the forearms and drew her to his chest. Kagome didn’t resist when he buried his nose in her hair.

“You need to be more careful,” he warned in her ear.

“Staying in bed for a whole week doesn’t exactly help my balance,” she teased, smiling.

“Feh. It was for your own good; you were exhausted.”

Exhausted is an understatement.”

He pursed his lips, his eyes returning to their sleeping daughter. “If I could get her voice back, I would.”

“I know you would, Inuyasha; I don’t doubt that.”

“But it will never happen.”

“No…”

Inuyasha suppressed the urge to kiss her soft lips again. Since when had she become so tantalizing? Red kissed his cheeks at his contemplation. Since when did I become like the monk?

Then it dawned on him. Holy crap. Why didn’t I realize it sooner? It’s mating season again…

“Inuyasha? What’s wrong?” She scrutinized his expression curiously. Her eyes fell on his red dyed cheeks. “Why are you blushing?”

“It’s nothing,” he responded quickly.

She giggled. “Your face is as red as the slap marks Sango usually gives to Miroku. Are you thinking of something perverted, oh husband of mine?” 

He smiled at the resonance of her giggles. How long had he yearned to hear such an upbeat sound? Compared to his childhood period of solitude, her musical giggle meant everything to him. He didn’t want to admit it, but loneliness was the only thing he could draw fear from; he would spend many nights among the branches of the Goshinboku, drowning in his loneliness, but also afraid of spending the rest of his years alone.

With Kagome here…His face flushed at the sudden provocative thoughts of Kagome. Feh. I really am turning into the monk!

His silence was her answer. “I knew it! You are thinking of something perverted!”

“Shut up, wench,” he retorted, pushing her down on the futon.

Their lips touched, and their bodies melted into one.

..::OO::..

Morning came early the next day…in the form of Sesshomaru’s appearance.

Inuyasha-who had been sleeping soundly-was instantly awakened by the grunt outside the reed flap to his hut, Sesshomaru’s familiar scent assaulting his nostrils. He hurried to dress, and managed to awaken Kagome in his haste.

“What’s wrong?” she asked groggily, her arm shielding her eyes from the abrasive sunlight.

“Sesshomaru’s here,” he said simply.

She, too, quickened her morning routine.

Inuyasha stepped outside the hut as his mate tended to their daughter, dressed in only his hakama and undershirt. Sesshomaru observed his clothing with narrowed eyes, his nose wrinkled in obvious disgust. “I see you and the miko have been busy,” the regal demon mused, raising an inquisitive eyebrow.

“Feh. It’s none of your business what we do,” Inuyasha sneered, but he blushed nonetheless. “What are you doing here, Sesshomaru?”

“It has come to my attention that the pup has been born. I feel it is my right to meet her.”

Instead of arguing, Inuyasha merely gestured for the demon lord to follow him into his hut; he would keep his word, especially if it meant the protection and happiness of his daughter.

Sesshomaru followed his half-brother into the hut, his regal grace forgotten in the presence of his niece. He stared at the young pup cradled in the arms of his half-brother’s mate, stared at the dog ears at the top of her skull, and at the signature amber eyes that proved her inheritance. But what struck him as odd was the pup’s silence.

“She is mute,” he concluded, still observing the pup and the flustered miko.

It was Kagome who answered him, “She was resurrected by the Tenseiga, but her voice was lost in the process. It’s a birth defect.”

“She is blemished; imperfect.”

Inuyasha released a feral growl as he moved to stand in front of Kagome, hoping to block any harm that the demon lord would inflict upon his mate and child. “She’s just fine, Sesshomaru,” he snarled. “If you denounce your word to make her an heiress, then that’s fine with me; she’ll be better off with us than living such a regal life in your presence.”

“I am not desperate for an heir, little brother, but I still extend my offer; her protection is guaranteed.” He glanced at Kagome, gesturing toward Inume. “May I?”

She nodded, and stepped in front of Inuyasha’s defensive stance to deposit the child in Sesshomaru’s waiting arms. He held her like she was going to break at any second, his eyes observing her features with interest. His surprise grew when Inume’s eyes widened, and she reached out to grasp the material of Sesshomaru’s kimono. A smile became visible on the child’s thin lips.

Inume cuddled deeper into Sesshomaru’s arms until her eyes closed from the effort, and she lapsed into sleep.

Sesshomaru’s mind was reeling. “You may take her back now,” he said stiffly, handing the slumbering child back to her mother.

Kagome cooed and kissed the pup’s forehead before laying her in her cradle, wrapping the warm, thick blankets around her daughter’s small body.

Inuyasha grinned at Sesshomaru’s obvious discomfort. “New for you, eh?”

“Hn,” was his brief response.

“Will she really be okay, Sesshomaru?” Kagome inquired of the demon lord worriedly, returning to Inuyasha’s side. He wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him, never tearing his eyes from his half-brother. The couple awaited his answer.

Sesshomaru gave a curt nod. “I will live up to my word, as promised. The pup has been placed under my protection.”

Kagome smiled. “Thank you, Sesshomaru.”

“I will visit often as she grows to inspect her lifestyle. When she comes of age, I expect her to prepare for lessons on becoming the first female Inu-no-Taisho. Is that understood?”

“Depends,” Inuyasha growled. “When does she come of age?”

“When she reaches the age of sixteen.”

“Do we have permission to visit her?” Kagome asked, biting her lip.

“As often as she permits, yes.”

Inuyasha’s eyebrows knitted together. “And, what will you be doing when she finally reaches sixteen? It’s not like you’re going to die anytime soon.”

Sesshomaru avoided Inuyasha’s eyes as he replied, “I am waiting for Rin to come of age, as well. She is twelve at the moment, but when she reaches the age of sixteen…I will ask her to become my mate. I do not wish to become Inu-no-Taisho and hold on to my relationship to Rin at the same time. Father’s relationship with my mother as well as your mother was jeopardized by his being the current Inu-no-Taisho, and I wish to live in peace with my mate and any pups she might give to me.”

“So you’re going to dump all this responsibility on my daughter?” Inuyasha snarled. “How selfish can you get?”

“In sixteen years, these feudal times might be over, and your daughter will rule over peaceful lands. I simply want to be…happy…If your daughter chooses not to become the Inu-no-Taisho when she comes of age, I will respect her decision.”

Kagome covered Inuyasha’s mouth with her hand to halt his argument. “Do we have your word on that?” she asked, hope glistening in her eyes.

Sesshomaru nodded. “I give my word as the current Inu-no-Taisho.”

“What will you do if she refuses to become Inu-no-Taisho?”

“Then I will reclaim the title, as is my birthright, with my family at my side.”

Kagome nodded her approval. “Very well, then.” 

“I…agree also,” Inuyasha finally admitted once his mate’s hand was removed from his mouth.

Sesshomaru nodded. “It’s settled, then. Sixteen years, and your daughter will claim the title Inu-no-Taisho.”

It was not something Inuyasha was looking forward to.

Chapter End Notes:
Last chapter to follow