- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

Unexpected Calling

The task was clear as glass; any other reference to the deed would be a large amount of unwanted praise.

It was simple to find the girl to which he had been ordered to capture. She stood before his very eyes, kneeling before a grave, the hanyou absent from her side. A wicked smile crept to his lips. His need to kill the miko was great; his craving was an itch that needed a long-awaited scratching, and it would not relinquish until she was in his grasp. But disobeying orders meant his life in return, and it was not something he could sacrifice, even if it meant revenge.

Shinigami eyed the miko lustily, admiration for her beauty and gentleness flooding his senses. But he was the death spirit, and no woman would dare to ever fall in love with him; it was simply an irrelevant thought.

Fury tainted his mind crimson at the foreboding thought. What if he did disobey orders, and took the miko for himself? His eyes grazed over her silky raven hair that tumbled to her lower back, and the way her hazel eyes sparkled when she talked. The only predicament lay in her protruding belly, which carried the hanyou spawn’s child. He released a torrent curses internally, knowing that she would never love him in return because of her unborn child; she would definitely not come to him willingly.

"No matter," he said quietly. “I could use her body, and simply throw her away when I am finished. But, first, I will have to kill the child of hers…”

He could vaguely hear the approach of a human, realizing after a moment that it was simply the leader of the demon hunters. The man was tall with broad shoulders and short, greasy black hair that did not resign itself to the movement of the breeze. His dull brown eyes were icy, cold, and calculating; it was as if a small, individual battle between himself and a ferocious demon were occurring in his mind, and he was pondering moves, even now. Shinigami rolled his eyes. Why do I always get stuck with the human cargo? It is simply irritating. And this man is colder than I am!

“That is the miko, Shiyuko,” he told the man instead, not voicing his thoughts. “She is the one we are after.”

Shiyuko inspected the woman with pensive eyes before giving his opinion, “She would be beautiful if she wasn’t carrying a hanyou’s child.”

“Aye.”

“Where is the hanyou, anyway? My men are surrounding her as we speak, and we are ready to attack.”

 “Are your scents masked?”

“Yes.”

Shinigami nodded in approval. “Good. The hanyou is nearing; I believe he has some news to tell the miko. Before I ended up here, I saw him arguing with a servant from the Western Palace of the dog yokai; the Lord of the West is apparently his brother.”

Shiyuko arched an eyebrow. “Lord Sesshomaru?”

“Aye.”

“Why would an infamous yokai lord be associating with vermin? It is completely out of his character.”

“Does it matter?” Shinigami inquired irritably, thrusting out his words like daggers. “The focus is to capture the miko once he is unable to smell the distress in her scent. Knowing him, he will leave immediately so that he will come back earlier to be with his mate; he is leaves the miko alone for very long. Once she is ours, we take her back to your base and lock her away in that gloomy of dungeon of yours. Then the bait will be set, and the hanyou will be lured in. It is your job to kill him before he gets to the miko. Am I understood?”

Shiyuko nodded, his eyes drifting to the hilt of his sword. “I understood perfectly; we will not fail you, or your mistress.”

“That is expected. If not, your compensation will be a slow, painless death.”

“Yes, sir.”

Rising to his feet, Shinigami took once last glance at the miko before leaving the area. She will be mine soon enough, he convinced himself, smiling slyly. I just need to be patient.

..::OO::..

The flame of anger was easily kindled at the appearance of Sesshomaru’s messenger.

Inuyasha had come back to the hut after a conversation with Miroku to find Kagome gone from the hut. Worried for her safety, and for the safety of their pup, he set out to find her…only to run-literally-into a small tiger demon.

The messenger was trembling like a leaf against the winds of a hurricane, staring up at Inuyasha with wide auburn eyes. He nearly collapsed into a faint when the hanyou narrowed his eyelids menacingly, glaring daggers. “L-Lord Sesshomaru requests y-your presence,” he managed to say through chattering teeth.

 “Why would Sesshomaru want anything to do with me?” Inuyasha replied indignantly, crossing his arms.

“H-he didn’t give me the specifics of the m-meeting, but he ordered that you come i-immediately to the Western Palace.”

“And, you’re sure Sesshomaru issued this message?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Is he delusional?”

“N-no…”

“Half asleep?”

“I don’t recall-”

“Drunk?”

“Lord Inuyasha!” the messenger said, aghast by the hanyou’s barrage of answerless questions. “Lord Sesshomaru is fairly well; he just wishes to see you.”

“Feh. I have a mate to take care of; her needs come first,” Inuyasha said simply, pushing past the shocked tiger demon.

“I-I will be punished severely for this, but Lord Sesshomaru wishes to discuss the pup’s inheritance in more detail with you, Lord Inuyasha,” the messenger said quietly.

Inuyasha paused in his trek, allowing his brain to soak in the messenger’s words. Debating broke out within him on whether or not he should heed his words. Finally, he relented, recalling his promise to Sesshomaru. “Let me tell my mate,” he told the messenger at last. “She’d be worried if I just disappeared suddenly. Stay here.”

“Y-yes, Lord Inuyasha,” he responded feebly, raking ashen hands through dark hair nervously.

Inuyasha knew he was too scared to disobey his command, and departed with that reassurance; he would speak to Kagome alone without a stupid messenger breathing down his neck, and would induce fear if it meant solitude with his wife.

He found her in her usual place- Kaede’s gravesite. He hated it when he found her here, especially if she was alone. He knew that she found comfort in this place, and would usually come here if something was on her mind; before he had not anticipated it, but now he did as he made his approach. She turned when he was a short proximity away.

“You scared me,” Kagome breathed.

“You shouldn’t be out here alone,” he said matter-of-factly, dropping to his knees beside her. “Yokai hunt around this time; you’d be the perfect meal.”

“I needed to think,” she said quietly.

“Don’t we all?”

She inspected him suspiciously, detecting a hint of anger and annoyance in his tone. “Inuyasha? Did something happen?”

“Yeah. I was summoned to the Western Palace by one of Sesshomaru’s servants.”

“Why?” she asked, incredulous.

 “Apparently he wants to discuss the pup’s inheritance in more detail.”

“He doesn’t want the presence of own mother?

”“That’s the plan, I guess. Who knows what Sesshomaru’s got up his sleeve? But he’s seriously ticking me off.”

She smirked. “Doesn’t he always?”

“This time, it’s worse; he’s after my pup, and I don’t like it. What if her life is destroyed because of his influence? What if she grows up unhappily? If anything happened to her, I would take my threats to action and kill him, no questions asked. Anyone threatens my daughter’s childhood happiness better start fearing for their pitiful life.” His hands clenched into fists at his sides, and he released a low growl.

“You should go talk to him, then, and tell him your concerns. You’re providing the heir, not him; he should be appreciative.”

He arched an eyebrow. “You don’t mind?”

She dismissed his statement with the wave of her hand. “Nah. This is important; it’s our pup’s future we’re talking about. I’ll be fine.

”“I don’t know how long I’ll be gone…”

She kissed his cheek. “As long as you come back, I’ll be okay.”

Inuyasha, realizing that it could possibly be weeks before he saw his bride again, nervously pressed his lips to hers. He wasn’t surprised when she didn’t fight him, or his outburst of sensual passion; he knew her well enough by now to know that she enjoyed his kisses, no matter how rare they might be; it was embarrassment that held him back most of the time, and he had been dumbfounded when she had understood.

“I’ll be back soon,” he promised. “Don’t do anything strenuous, or reckless. I’ll make sure Miroku and Sango keep an eye on you.”

“I’m not a child, Inuyasha.”

“No, you’re not, but I don’t want anything to happen to you; you attract danger like a magnet. Just…do me a favor, and try to avoid all the danger and stuff. Promise?”

“Promise,” she agreed.

“I love you, koi.”

She grinned. “I love you, too, koibito.”

He cast one last longing glance at her before rising to his feet, his eyes glued to her as he retreated in the direction of the village. Then he was gone.

Kagome sighed, rising to her feet. The colors of the area seemed to fade before her very eyes, reduced to gray with each step her hanyou mate took. She knew his journey would be long, as would his stay at the Western Palace; arguments against the two brothers didn’t exactly end overnight, and this one would be the most heated of them all. During this extended period, she would be alone, and captive to her thoughts. This factor caused a bitter smile to rise to her lips. I don’t want to think about it, she convinced herself as she started back towards the village herself. I’ve been alone before, and I can surely be alone again; I’ll survive.

It was then that she was seized roughly by the arms.

A hand was placed over her mouth to halt the screams that rose from her throat. Struggling with her captors, she pleaded for Inuyasha’s return. She managed to turn her head, and found two unfamiliar men restraining her arms, wicked grins on their dirt-smeared faces. The manic glint in their eyes aroused fear within her. They were pleased-that she could plainly see-by the fact that she was at their mercy, and released a torrent of laughter that brought tears to her eyes. She was in trouble; deep, horrid trouble, and she could not fight back because of her unborn child. She was vulnerable, and they knew it.

More men emerged from the cluster of the trees, forming a circle around their comrades and their prisoner. One man, however, stood out from all the rest. He held a sort of authority amongst the group, as if he had all of their respect, and was quickly made a path in the direction of the distressed girl. And she recognized him.The nightmare she had had before her pregnancy; it was coming true right before her eyes, from the two men grasping her from her arms to the men surrounding them. A startled sob wrenched from her throat. Inuyasha was not here; he couldn’t save her this time. He was off towards the Western Palace without a clue of what was going on, and he would not be returning. She was alone.So she beseeched them for their mercy.

“Please, you have to let me go,” she wailed once the hand was removed. “I didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Nonsense, girl; you have done the unimaginable,” the leader snapped in reply. “You deserve no mercy.”

She struggled against the iron grips that held her back.The man slapped her across the face with the back of his hand, the ring on his finger causing a deep incision to form on her cheek. Blood dripped from the wound, and Kagome cried out at the sudden pain. He smiled in pleasure, and Kagome found herself stupid for not anticipating the consequences of her actions. She had known previously that he would hit her; she should’ve expected it, but she was too naïve and blind to see it. He tilted her chin so that she would gaze into his lustful eyes.

"Struggling is useless, honey; take it from an expert." He chuckled before adding, "Where we're taking you, you can struggle all you want, but nothing will come out of it besides the death of your child. Tell me: does the hanyou leave you alone like this often?"

Shock numbed her struggles.

No, Inume…

He chuckled darkly again and released his hold on her chin. "I knew it. You understand that hanyous deserve nothing more in life than death, correct? And any mate of theirs is an enemy of ours. Now, imagine if a hanyou's child comes into the picture; can you imagine the outcome, little priestess? Aren't you sad and angry now that he has defiled you with his child? Have you come to your senses yet?"

No, she raged mentally, fearing that if she spoke aloud that it would harm her baby's safety. Inuyasha loves me! He only left me alone to speak with Sesshomaru; he'll rescue me like he always does. He didn't want to part with me, but he promised me that he would be back. He promised! He would never defile me so dishonorably; it's totally out of his character. Inuyasha has more honor than all of these men combined!

She was stunned when she found herself thinking the same thoughts as she had in her dream.

"Nothing to say, huh?" the leader said, admiring her through narrowed eyelids. "I see." He turned to his men and yelled in a mocking tone, "The girl still has faith in her hanyou! Pathetic, don't you agree? Don't you think that we should show her just how much her hanyou has a distaste for her company? He probably used her body for his enjoyment, and once his child is born, I guarantee that he will steal it away and leave her alone. Shall we teach her a lesson, men?"

The men laughed and agreed in yells and shouts.

"Kill the child!"

"Let the hanyou learn a valuable lesson!"

"Show the world that hanyous are not meant to have a family!"

Kagome squeezed her eyes shut and willed the darkness of her mind to take her; she wanted to faint now and allow her mind to conceal her from the insults that the men offered about her beloved husband. She couldn’t bring herself to fight back; not now. She was frightened; there was no denying it. I should’ve been more careful, she told herself as more insults broke out. I should’ve listened to my dreams. Instead, I was blind and stupid. How could be so selfish as to neglect my own child’s safety? I’m so stupid…and now I’m going to be punished for it.

"Kill the child!"

"Let the hanyou learn a valuable lesson!"

"Show the world that hanyous are not meant to have a family!"

She resisted to the darkness without resistance, hoping that it would numb the pain of her heart.

Inuyasha…I’m waiting for you…I know you’ll…save…me…

..::OO::..

From a distance, the Shinigami observed the capture. So the miko is finally brought to her knees, he mused, chuckling. I believe those demon hunters deserve a bonus for their work; it is truly remarkable.

She was beautiful, even in unconsciousness. She looked like a slumbering angel without wings, her dark hair framing her ashen face, as a man tied her hands and slung her over his shoulder. It was this act that caused him to grit his teeth. The girl is mine! he wanted to scream. He resisted the urge to sprint down into the group, pull the girl into his arms, and run from their spiteful glares with her warmth melting away the cold his skin supported. But that act was forbidden; he wanted her, but he could quell his cravings until the hanyou lay dead. Later, if given permission by his liege lady, he would take the miko and make her his own. Love didn’t concern him; he loved her, right? Why did he need her permission when he was a man? Her protests meant nothing.

“You will be mine soon, miko,” he murmured as the demon hunters departed. “I will not be swayed by the threat of death. You will belong to me, and no one else. Just wait until that hanyou is gone from this world; you will be too broken to even consider the emotion ‘love’ ever again, and that is when I will steal your heart.”