- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

Death Wish

Kagome partook in the tug of war within herself with a scowl on her face as her eyelids fluttered and threatened to draw her out of her peaceful sleep. The lack of nightmares had caused a string of relaxation to weave itself around her body, and exultant dreams had danced before her closed eyes. But the sudden change in the air had aroused her from her blissful slumber, the current of wind containing the character of a foreboding force, as it kissed her skin and hauled her out of her dreams against her will. Annoyance coursed through her. What does it take for a girl to get some sleep around here? she thought to herself with a sigh of defeat. She gradually opened her eyes.

She could hear the soft breathing of her husband from beside her on the futon, and glanced down at him to see a peaceful expression on his sleeping face. A smile graced her lips. The only time Inuyasha is at peace is when he’s asleep, she thought as she rose to her feet. I wonder what this is force in the air is, and why Inuyasha didn’t sense it, too? Something’s up.

Abandoning her bow and arrows, she stepped out of the borders of their hut.She pursued the essence in the air with great persistence on finding the source. I need to have a talk with whoever granted mikos their powers, she thought with a bitter smile reaching her lips. This whole "sensing the evil aura" thing and being able to find the source of it and all is totally creeping me out.

The rising sun’s brilliant rays draped their light over the future-born miko as she chased her prize with a large sum of diligence. She cast her eyes forward on her intended path, determined to find the source of the evil presence before an awful occurrence fell upon the nearby village. She was resigned to save the village at any cost, especially since it was the place where she and Inuyasha lived and the place where, one day, they would raise their children; she did not want their home to be spoiled and dangerous.

Kagome approached the forest with caution, recalling on many different accounts the evil events that had unfolded here in the past. One of those had been Inuyasha’s sealing to the Sacred Tree, and the death of Kagome’s reincarnate, Kikyo; the thought of the angry eyes of her copy made Kagome shiver involuntarily. The undead miko must abhor her with a passion since she had pretty much stolen Inuyasha from her, but he had done that willingly, and he had shown her in more ways than one that he loved her; it was quite obvious at this point.  

Kikyo must loathe me, she thought sourly. I don’t blame her, though; I can’t imagine what would be going through my head after my beloved told me that he didn’t want me anymore. Heck, I’d probably be suicidal or something.

The Sacred Tree loomed over her like an enchanted ghost, the foliage blocking out the light of the sun. Kagome realized that the foreboding aura was centered here, and she turned to find it before it found her. She surveyed the area with cautious eyes, struggling to pick out anything amongst the forest that symbolized any danger. She sighed in relief when nothing appeared to be dangerous; perhaps it was just her imagination, or her mind was still fried from Kaede’s death. She blamed it on that as she started to make her way back to the village.

Before she could take a step forward, though, an arrow shot past her and pierced the bark of the Sacred Tree. She could feel the sting of the arrow on her cheek, and reached with a trembling hand to feel for the wound. Blood smeared her fingertips when she looked at the palms of her fingers.

“Leaving so soon? Why don’t you stay and talk for a while?”

Recognition coursed through Kagome as the words reached her ears. Her body became still, her legs feeling as if they were Jello. Feeling as if she was moving against a strong current, she turned to see Kikyo, an arrow notched in her bow. The priestess’s eyes were wide and filled to the brim with unshed tears, her expression tinted with fury. The dark aura Kagome had sensed prior to her arrival here became strapping as the air tightened and the wind became more concentrated and fervent.

Kagome retreated a step backward, the wind whipping her hair in her face. Her mouth reached the grass.

Kikyo laughed, the sound a bitter, distasteful melody. “Shocked? I don’t see why. You must’ve assumed that at one point or another I would come after you to seek my revenge. Such a naïve girl for stealing the love of a woman; you’re such a weak, spineless creature, and a sad excuse for a reincarnation; I expected better.”

“That foreboding aura…It came from you?” Kagome demanded.

“The aura you felt was simply my hatred for the outcome of this event. I knew it would draw you out of the hut, and out from Inuyasha’s nose, so I focused all of my energy into my hatred.”

“And now your hatred has driven you to dire lengths that require you to take leave of your senses,” she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Kikyo’s expression soured. “I have done no such thing. Now, die!”

She launched the arrow.Pain exploded in Kagome’s shoulder blade, and the girl released a scream in utter agony. The pain forced her to her knees. With trembling and blood smeared hands, she wrenched the arrow from her shoulder with an outward squeak and tossed it into the grass.

Kikyo’s manic laughter rang through her ears.“At loss for words, Kagome? I thought you were a fiery, independent girl. Where’s that fire I’ve always heard about? That was probably the only thing that separated us from being completely alike.” Kikyo’s wry laughter increased in volume, and Kagome shuddered at the sound. “I must say, I’m disappointed.”

“Inuyasha will stop you,” Kagome growled through clenched teeth, clamping a hand down on her wound in a weak attempt to stop the bleeding.

“I wouldn’t worry about him, right now, Kagome; if I were you, I would worry more about myself. Inuyasha will do no such thing to harm me in any way, and I will never earn his wrath, even if I kill you. Even if he does come to rescue you, he will be too late; I will be done with you, and then we will be together for all eternity without the interference of a pitiful brat like you. Give up now, Kagome, because no one will save you now.”She notched another arrow in her bow and released it.

Kagome tried to run.

She collapsed to the ground after a moment, feeling another Sacred Arrow plant itself into her back. Blood stained the back of her kimono. The warm wetness spread between her shoulders, the substance sticky and revolting to the touch. It drained her strength as if someone was sipping out her energy through a straw; the thought caused Kagome to cry out and writhe as if to escape the pain, but solitude could not be found.

“Say goodbye to the world, Kagome, and remember the valuable lesson you learned here.” Kikyo’s voice was at her ear, speaking the words that caused Kagome’s soul to flinch. “And remember my face, because it will be the last face you ever see. Say goodbye to Inuyasha, Kagome, and to life.”

NO! Kagome told herself. I have to fight! I’m not going to die here.

Before she could, however, fight back, she felt a searing pain in her back where her heart resided. The pain was intimate; it felt as if she was being ripped to shreds by the fangs of an animal, and it hurt worse than any kind of betrayal. Kikyo’s laughter ricocheted off the borders of Kagome’s mind. The darkness threatened to pull her under, and Kagome couldn’t do anything but comply.

I’m sorry, Inuyasha; I hope you can forgive me.

..::OO::..

Inuyasha awoke from his peaceful slumber to the metallic scent of blood. It taunted his nostrils and yanked him from his sleep, causing his muscles to tense and his pulse to quicken. He vaguely recognized the scent, and a clawed hand sought out the familiar warmth of his mate.He was appalled to find cold, empty air.

Dread and horror fueled his actions as he propelled himself out of the hut and pursued the scent. He begged any kami listening to calm his fears; he asked them for Kagome’s safety, and for her safe return to his arms. But the more he neared the area, the more pungent the aroma became. The sound of laughter reached his ears, the sound disturbing and also familiar.

Inuyasha found Kikyo hovering over the limp body of his mate. An arrow protruded out of Kagome’s back, the sight of it causing Inuyasha’s mind to reel. He could not detect any signs of breathing coming from her; her face was ashen, and her lips were terribly blue…

With hate evident in his eyes, Inuyasha emerged from his hiding spot and approached Kikyo.

She noticed his advancement and grinned, her eyes alive with feigned mirth. She’s happy for what she did to Kagome? he raged, narrowing his eyes menacingly. What kind of sick, twisted person laughs at the people they kill? Oh, Kagome; why didn’t I sense your departure? Why didn’t I follow you, and make sure that you were all right? Please, don’t die on me, Kagome! Please!

“Isn’t it wonderful, Inuyasha?” Kikyo mused. “The girl is finally dead, and now we can be together forever.”

Inuyasha’s eyes widened at her words, and he looked to Kagome to see if her words were true. He almost exhaled in relief when he saw the vague rise and fall of Kagome’s chest. Kikyo, however, took Inuyasha’s lack of answer as a silent agreement and wrapped her arms around his waist, burying her nose in his chest. He stiffened at the sudden contact.

“Together forever,” Kikyo whispered, her voice muffled. “Doesn’t that sound wonderful, Inuyasha?”

He grabbed her by her hands and yanked her off of him, his molten amber orbs alive with fury. “Don’t you understand?” he yelled. “You just killed my mate! And you expect me to forgive you? Let’s face it: you’re not the woman I used to know, Kikyo. Your hatred for Kagome caused you to do things that would make you undesirable by anyone, human, demon, or hanyou. You took the life of an innocent human being, and you should be punished for what you did!”

She stared at him with wide eyes, her expression shocked beyond compare. “She captivated you by a spell, Inuyasha; I know she did. That girl is a witch!”

“Do not accuse her of such a thing! Kagome is a pure, kind being, while you are conniving, cruel, and insane creature. I can’t even find a name to describe you!”

Kikyo recoiled from him and took a step backward. “What will you do to me? Kill me? I’d like to see you try.”

He looked away. “No, I will not kill you, but I will the next time you threaten my mate. Get that through your thick skull, Kikyo; Kagome is my mate, and you aren’t. I love her more than my own life. I will spare your life this time because of the ‘love’ we once shared, but I will not be so considerate the next time we meet. Understand?”

Tears glistened in her hazel eyes. “Inuyasha…?”

Do you understand me, Kikyo?

She bowed her head, unable to look him in the eye. “I understand.”

“Then leave.”

She turned on her heel with one longing glance cast at him before retreating into the vegetation. Her soul collectors followed closely behind until their glow disappeared into the shadows.

Inuyasha heaved a relieved sigh and rushed to the side of his mate, feeling for a pulse on her body.He sighed again in relief when he found her pulse. “You never do give up, do you, Kagome?” he murmured, a faint smile on his lips. “I’m thankful for that. I’m so glad you’re alive.”

Inuyasha gathered her into his arms and bounded off in the direction of their hut, struggling not to inhale the aroma of her blood. Worry waded through him when he felt the red substance on his hands. He whispered sweet nothings as he carried her in hopes of her awakening. His hope faded when he realized that her eyes were still shut.

Once he reached the village, he immediately bee lined for the healer’s hut. When she saw him carrying the injured miko, she snapped at him to quickly bring her into her hut so that her wounds could be addressed. He laid her down on the healing futon with a kiss to her forehead before being ushered out by the healer. He complied, but only for Kagome’s sake.

He waited impatiently, watching as the sun climbed in the sky as each hour passed. Finally, the healer emerged from the hut, her hands soiled in Kagome’s blood. Inuyasha quickly rose to his feet.

“Is she okay? How bad are her injuries? Is she going to live?” he demanded of her, resisting the urge to grab onto her shoulders and shake her until the answers came out.

The healer only smiled, her eyes twinkling with what looked like fatigue and relief. “Do not worry yourself, Inuyasha; she will be fine. Her injuries were fatal, yes, but with the right amount of rest, she will be back on her feet in no time at all.”

“That’s great,” he sighed in relief.

“Oh, that’s right,” the woman said suddenly. He tensed when she suddenly laughed at herself. “Excuse my scatterbrain; I forgot to tell you the most critical part."

“Pardon?”

“Her baby is fine as well; it suffered through no injuries, and it’s going to be as fine as well as its mother.” At his dumbfounded expression, the healer’s eyebrows furrowed. “You didn’t know she was pregnant?”

“N-no…”

“She is about three months along. You had no idea?”

“No, I didn’t…” Kagome is…pupped? And, she didn’t tell me?