- Text Size +

Curiosity ~ Chapter 25 ~ "The Arrival"

*Feudal Japan ~ About twenty minutes before Kagome got out of school*

"Damn it all! Why the hell did it take so long to get back to the village! We should have been here two days ago." Inuyasha fumed as they continued down the path towards Edo.

A sigh escaped the demon slayer. "We all know that Inuyasha, but the important thing is that we're here now and perhaps we made it in time to help Kagome if she truly is in danger."

"Keh, whatever, let's just get to the old hag's and figure out what the hell has been going on." And with that Inuyasha took off once again leaving his pack behind.

"He must really be worried about Kagome. Come Sango; let us make haste to Lady Kaede's." Miroku suggested before they all began running towards the village miko's hut, but when they got there, the group was just about scared out of their wits.

Inside the hut was not Lady Kaede, no, a younger priestess was using her residence which caused them great worry. Did something happen to the elderly priestess while they were away? Or, was Kikyo perhaps the cause of the Kaede's disappearance? There was only one way to find out.

"Oi wench! Where the hell is the old hag?" Inuyasha brashly asked, annoyed that he had to go through all of this.

"Inuyasha, can't you tell by her scent where she went off too?" Questioned Sango, but it was Shippo who answered her.

"We can't Sango. Kaede, Kagome, and Kikyo's scents are all in the hut but they've been gone at least a day. And there's no luck in tracking them due to the rain that came through last night."

Throughout their entire conversation, Kaede's fill-in, the Lady Takara, sat silently by the fire, merely watching the conversation between the odd group unfold, wondering just how the misfits came to be together in the first place.

She figured this was the group that Lady Kaede had mentioned before her sister had made them take their leave. If it was, then she had a message to deliver, one that would hopefully calm the infuriated hanyou down.

"If I may be so bold, are you the hanyou Inuyasha?"

The group went silent as they turned to face the young priestess.

"Keh, what's it to you?" He spat back.

A sigh left Takara; she had been warned of his behavior.

"I have a message from Lady Kaede. She figured that you would be upset to find them all gone if you heard of exactly who was behind everything. Kaede requested that I tell you that her sister Kikyo demanded to be taken to the young miko's home 'less she suffers the consequences. I do not know how long Lady Kikyo was in the village, but I do know that not two days ago she led them all in the direction of the Bone Eater's Well. That is strange though, because I know that there aren't any homes near that area for miles."

Stunned silent by what they just heard, the mismatched travelers let what was just learned sink in, none believing what they hoped Kagome didn't allow to happen while they were gone.

"You don't think she actually…" Miroku began, but couldn't finish due to the shock.

"That wench can't be that stupid. Was there anything else woman?" Inuyasha stared at the priestess, practically boring holes into her skull while waiting for his answer.

"I don't know if it is of any worth, but I sensed heavy, powerful magic before their entire aura's disappeared."

That was all they needed to hear before the Inu-tachi were out of the hut and racing towards the old well. Within minutes they had arrived and Miroku confirmed what Lady Takara had told them.

"Their aura's do end here, but I sense two others as well, only faintly though. It's like whoever it was, is attempting to hide their presence."

"I worried more about Kagome and Granny Kaede than I am about that. If Kikyo and Granny Kaede went through the well then I think we should go to so we can make sure Kagome is safe." Shippo stated, worried about his foster mother.

"Well that's all fine and dandy, but how are you lot supposed to pass through the f'ing well?" Inuyasha yelled.

Kirara, who had been keeping quiet the entire time, decided to just go ahead and check on her other human (Kagome) while the others figured out what to do. With a loud "meow", Kirara jumped off Sango's shoulder directly into the well, which allowed her to pass through surprisingly when the inside began to turn purple.

"Kirara!"

"Sango!"

"Miroku!"

The friends yelled after one another as each jumped into the well to save the other, not realizing that they were being transported to a different time and place while leaving Inuyasha standing in silence over what had just occurred.

"Guess that's one way to get them all to Kagome's world."He thought as he too jumped into the ancient well.

Groaning was what greeted him once he reached the other side.

"That's what you lot get for jumping in after each other."


*Inside Kagome's house ~ Two minutes before*

Touga was having a grand time. Granted, he wasn't doing much of anything, but he was rather enjoying watching his mate play with the little girl named Suki. She seemed to have a knack for drawing children to her and then being drawn into playing with them. They had even gotten him to play a couple of games, even help with making a snack. He quite enjoyed the "PB&J" that Suki showed them how to make. He would have to see if he could procure some to take back home with him, it was quite tasty after all.

He wondered if this was what it had been like with Inuyasha. Did he love to play as a child? If so what was his favorite game? What else did he like to do? What was his favorite food? What interested him? It was true that he regretted not being there for his youngest son as a child, but he was bound and determined to make up for it now, hopefully somewhat peaceful with the help of Kagome.

The former Lord was lost to his thoughts again as he watched Izayoi and Suki play with her dolls and found joy in seeing how happy his mate was. He wondered if she would have wanted more children had he not been killed. Could she possibly want another child now?

"Perhaps not," He thought to himself. "She is most likely concerned more about Inuyasha than the musings of having a child. Maybe, once everything has calmed down we could 'work' on having another pup. I've always dreamt of having a daughter."

Before his thoughts could go any further though, Touga felt the strong magic coming from the direction of the well house and knew it was time to flee the Higurashi home. It wasn't time yet for Inuyasha to know that they had returned from the afterlife.

With speed only a demon would possess, Touga clutched Izayoi to his chest and masked every inch of the house that contained their scents, hiding the fact that they were ever there. He was about to leave when the Suki stopped him, wondering what was going on.

"Listen young one, Inuyasha and his friends have come to see Kagome, you must not tell him we are here. Do you understa…."

"Darling, she took off as soon as you told her Inuyasha was here. I believe that is our cue to leave as well."

"How smart you are woman. If I remember correctly, that is why I mated you in the first place."

Izayoi gazed up at his face, a hand to her chest and feigning a hurt look. "You mean it wasn't for my wonderfully good looks."

A playful growl and nuzzle to the neck, promising a good time somewhere in the future, was her reply as he took off into the woods behind the Sunset Shrine.


*Well house*

"Next time we come to Kagome's era, may I suggest we each jump in one at a time, giving the rest time to exit the well?" Sango rubbed her kinked neck as she walked up the steps to stand next to the doors with Inuyasha.

A resounding bout of "yes" echoed throughout the building and well while the travelers were still climbing out of the well and dusting themselves off.

"I must say I agree with Lady Sango. Landing on her Hiraikotsu was certainly smarts." Miroku huffed, still having the wind out of him from when he landed on the giant boomerang.

Fed up with waiting, Inuyasha slid open the door and exited onto the shrine grounds followed by his companions who were all getting their clothing in order. When they actually took the time to look up, they were in awe…

Not one of them had expected Kagome's family shrine to be this HUGE – certainly her village wasn't that big was it? Of course she'd said that Edo had grown a lot in the coming centuries, but it couldn't have possibly grown this much!

Meanwhile, Inuyasha was getting tired of watching his friend's stunned expressions at the size of the grounds. He was even more annoyed with the looks they were receiving from the shrine's visitors, which brought on his famous foot tapping. He could see where the people were coming from though, after all, just how many times do you see four people and a cat come seemingly out of nowhere? He sure as hell didn't know.

"Are you guys going to stand here all day or are we gonna go find the wench and hag?" He asked irritably as he headed toward the shrine steps, his friends quickly following to catch up with him.

Miroku figured he should try to reason with him. "Inuyasha, I know you have been here many times, but how do you expect to find Kagome when you don't even…." He sputtered to a stop as he took in the view of Tokyo from the top of Sunset Shrine.

"That can't possibly be Kagome's village. It's… it's…. there are so many people. I've never seen such a village before." Shippo spoke astonished by the site before him.

"Keh, if you all will quit site seeing, I should be able to track the scent of Kagome's stupid 'at-too-moo-beetle'."

But just as he was about to leave a child calling out his 'name' stopped him, right before he felt something make contact with his leg. Looking down at the little girl seemingly plastered to his leg, he could tell that it was none other than little Suki, whom was currently smiling brightly at him.

"Hi Ya-ya!"

Sango looked at the hanyou incredulously, "Ya-ya?"

A light blush made its way across Inuyasha's face. "Keh ain't my fault she can't say my name."

Figuring Suki might know where Kagome was, he removed her from his person and bent down to her level.

"Say kid, you got any idea where Kagome is?"

"Gooey is wit Ma-Maw and Kick-you. They go to school and Gooey called and told Pa-Paw that her fwiends were taking them to Wacdonald's. Are you gonna go Ya-ya? Can I go wit you?" Suki pleaded knowing her Ya-ya couldn't resist the "pouty face."

"What exactly did she say Inuyasha? I couldn't understand her." Shippo asked from behind Suki which scared the living daylights out of her. She immediately clung to Inuyasha for protection, shoving her face into the crook of Inuyasha's neck.

"You're so stupid, she said that Kagome is with the old woman and Kikyo and that those three annoying friends of hers went to get something to eat with them."

"Fine, I'm guessing you know where this place is Inuyasha? I suggest we get going then before anything happens to Kagome. You know how much trouble she gets in when you're not around to protect her from demons. Kirara!"

The giant fire cat transforming in front of the small child not only scared her again, but fascinated her as well. "Ooooh… pretty kitty…"

"One problem with your thinking Sango, there ain't no demons in this time. If the locals see Kirara they're likely to attack so we'll have to huff it on foot."

"Not a problem Inuyasha," Miroku smiled as he held up a sutra. "This sutra is a spell for invisibility so there is no need to worry my friend. You'll still be able to see us of course." He explained as he boarded Kirara behind Sango and placed the sutra upon the fire cat.

Wanting to get going, Inuyasha starting putting Suki down, but that only made her cling to him more.

"No! Suki go wit Ya-ya! Pa-paw no fun to play wit and Soda at ball game!"

Just wanting to get to the wench and find out what in the seven hells was going on, he indulged the little girl and took off after making sure he had a good grip on him, and he on her.

Inuyasha REALLY didn't want to face the wrath of Kagome if anything happened to little Suki.


*At Wacdonald's ~ Ayumi, Yuka, and Eri are inside and Kagome is helping Kaede and Kikyo out of the car*

"Child, exactly what is this place?" Kaede asked as she slowly eased herself out of the car with the help of Kagome. Walking throughout the entire school all day certainly did take a lot out of an old woman.

"I'm getting to old for this."

"It's a restaurant, a place where you can go order food and someone will cook it for you and then you eat it in the building. This pace mainly serves chicken and beef, which would you, prefer Kaede?"

Apparently not understanding what Kagome was saying, Kaede responded, "Do ye honestly think this old woman could eat a whole chicken?"

Kagome couldn't contain her laughter then as she held the door open for the two elder miko's.

"No Kaede, they don't cook you a whole one, they only give you some. I've got an idea, how about I get chicken and I'll order you a burger and we'll split it that way you don't have to decide? By the way, would you like to try some coke?"

Agreeing with Kagome on her idea and expressing her desire to try this "coke", the young miko went ahead and set them down in a booth while she went to order with her girlfriends. It amazed Kaede how much Kagome laughed and – well… looked so alive and carefree with the three gaggling girls. She turned to gaze at Kikyo, who turned out was also looking at them.

"Ye know sister, I remember a time when you were like that. Aye, it has been many a year, but ye were once surrounded by loving, gossiping friends." She took a moment to look upon the four girls again.

"I miss it sister." Kaede's voice whispered as it escaped her. She was so quiet Kikyo almost didn't catch it.

"What do you mean Kaede? Miss what?"

A sad smile made its way across Kaede's face. "Throughout the years, I've often missed seeing you smile. Not the one you hide behind either, no, the true smile filled with joy and happiness. I've yearned to hear you laugh again; in the way those girls are doing now." She noticed a tear running down her cheek and hastily wiped it away. "But now is not the time to listen to the ramblings of an old woman, it is time to rejoice in our new found friends."

It was in those few precious moments that Kikyo had finally realized how truly alone Kaede had been throughout these past fifty years and that truth made her feel like she was stabbed through the heart with a knife made of the coldest ice.

"I should have fought harder to stay with her; I was all she had left. Mother died giving birth to our brother and father died before that in the wars. How was she ever able to stand being alone for so long? I am sincerely sorry sister; perhaps… just maybe I will be able to make it up to you somehow before my time in this world is done."

Kikyo grimaced as those thoughts ran through her mind. She could tell that Kaede was barely holding it together so she placed a hand on her shoulder in silent support, vowing silently to make up for the years of loneliness in any way she could.

Smiles were put back into place as Kagome arrived with their food and everyone was given their share. Both of the elder priestesses found the food strange, but oddly tasty, and Kaede had obviously developed an addiction to Diet Coke. (She was already on her third refill.)

The first few minutes were filled with Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi filling Kagome in on the rest of the school gossip that they hadn't gotten to talk about at lunch. As Yuka was finishing her food, she remembered a really important question she forgot to ask Kagome.

"Oh my gosh, Kagome, did you know that the new Twilight movie is coming out next week?" She practically shrieked, making the other customers turn and stare.

"Really – which one are they on now?" Kagome asked.

"The last book 'Breaking Dawn' – the company is making it into a two-parter. Totally sucks."

This bit of information intrigued Kaede. "Ye mean that they have that one made into a movie already? I only just finished reading the book."

While the girls were staring at Kaede with wide eyes, like she was crazy, Kikyo was gazing at Kagome questioningly. Said girl was giggling madly in her mind. Of course Kaede was a Twi-heart! The elderly woman had become instantly addicted when she found a copy of the first book in Kagome's bag and, being the wonderful girl that she is, Kagome brought back a DVD player and made sure that Kaede saw the movie versions of the famous books.

"Whoa, wait a minute, you're a Twilight fan?" Ayumi asked suspiciously before taking a breath as a smile broke across her face.

"That is TOTALLY AWESOME!"

"Are you for Team Edward or Team Jacob?" Eri asked excitedly.

"She looks like a Jacob kinda gal to me." Yuka said.

"Yeah right, she is an Edward gal." Eri responded.

Wanting to break up the fight before bringing on any more attention, Kaede interrupted the feuding girls.

"Actually, I am a member of Team Carlisle myself. Since we're both, of course, interested in medicine and the medical field."

The conversation went into Twilight mode from there, but before it went to deep Kagome asked Kaede if she wanted to try some ice cream, to which the rest of the girls wanted some as well. So Kagome went and ordered their dessert and left her bag at the table, which after about two minutes started playing "Who Let the Dogs Out."

Figuring it was Kagome's cell phone; Yuka pulled the bag into her lap and fished around for the device. Once she found it, she flipped it open and just about squealed with delight. The chatter suddenly stopped as Yuka answered Kagome's phone, curious as to whom it was.

"Hey lover boy, whatcha up too?"

"Who the f*** is this?" The brash voice on the other end asked.

"Silly, it's Yuka! Don't you remember, we met at Kagome's a couple weeks ago? You can't have that bad of a memory Inuyasha."

"It's Inuyasha!" - "Let me talk to him!" – "No me first!" The other two began fighting until Kagome took the phone from Yuka.

"Yes Inuyasha, what is it?" She asked sweetly.

"Keh, don't give me any of that crap wench. I'm trying to find you and I don't know where this 'Wacdonald's' place is that you're apparently at cause I've already been to three of'em and ya obviously weren't there."

Boy did Kagome have a quick fix for this one, a smart one too might she add.

"Do you remember how to take a picture with your phone?"

"Yeah wench."

"And do you remember how to send it?"

"Damn I ain't that stupid!"

"Ok, ok, don't get upset. Just take a picture of where you're at and send it to me. Then I'll be able to tell you how to get there 'kay?"

A grumbling "whatever" was her reply as he hung up the phone and Kagome dug into her ice cream. She was halfway through when her phone rang again; alerting her that she had a picture message.

What she saw when she flipped open the phone was something she would never forget.

"OH…MY…GOD…"

Chapter End Notes:

A/N ~ Cliffy anyone?

Hopefully this chapter is to your liking, I got some heat about the last one not being long enough. FOR THE RECORD this chapter contained 3,460 WORDS.

And yes... I made Kaede into a Twilight fan. I just couldn't help myself! C: Sorry folks, I had to do it!

Sooooooo... Kagome taught Inuyasha how to use a cell phone... yeah... XD

Just to recap about Suki - she can't pronounce people's names below are the "whose who"

Kagome - "Gooey"
Kaede - "Ma-maw"
Kikyo - "Kick-you" (literally - say KICK YOU)
Inuyasha - "Ya-ya" (Ya like "Yasha" NOT like "yay"
Souta - "Soda"
Gramps - "Pa-paw"

Also, I am going back through and revising some chapters due to requests. Chapter 1 has already been re-written. Please go have a look at it if you have time. I tweaked some things that make more sense and flow with the story.

PLEASE NOTE THAT UPDATES WILL BE SLOW AGAIN DUE TO STATE FAIR DOG TRAINING ~ UPDATES WIL CONTINUE REGULARY AFTER AUGUST 23!

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!

PROUD KAEDE/GRAMPS SUPPORTER!