- Text Size +

Curiosity - Chapter 4 - "Mirror Mirror on the Rock Wall..."

*Two days earlier*

"Lord Sesshomaru! Lord Sesshomaru! Aren't you going to take this lowly Jaken with you?" The small imp cried while running out the front gates of the castle towards his Lord. As Jaken came to a stop in front of his Lord, he received the answer he was dreading to hear.

"Jaken, you are to stay and take care of Rin." Sesshomaru passively spoke as always.

"No, no, I can't be left behind again with Rin! Last time I was left in charge I wasn't able to get all of the flowers off my staff for a week." Jaken gave a pleading look to his Lord, attempting to sway his final decision. But all he received was yet another order,

"I believe it is time for Rin to begin her studies for the day." With that Sesshomaru turned to face the woods that surrounded his castle, knowing that Jaken was running into the castle to tend to Rin. After all, it was Jaken's duty to teach the child, so he had to stay here with her. And besides that, he is awfully annoying after only a few hours of travel.

Today was when Sesshomaru was going to go and test this "theory" he had discovered in the scroll that Toki had given him three days before. He had to delay his trip for, as it turned out, it was time for his army's yearly inspection as per tradition.

"I pray to the Gods that you have a safe journey Mi'Lord. May you be able to find the answers to your questions, and discover the meaning of what was written in the scroll." Toki spoke as he bowed low before Sesshomaru.

"Do not worry about anything while you are gone. I will make sure everyone stays in line as always and that Rin is safe from harm." He added that last part for Sesshomaru's peace of mind. It never ceased to amaze him how much he cared for Rin. No matter how hard he tried to hide his feelings. Toki, of course, knew all of the signs for he had seen them across faces before.

Sesshomaru ignored Toki as he began his journey. After all, not responding to Toki was nothing new. Violet eyes followed the ice Lord until he was no longer in sight and then turned to make his way back into the study. He was trying to begin the day, starting with the pile of scrolls needing to be gone through setting on the table. But he just couldn't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe, this wasn't the right time to give Lord Sesshomaru the scroll. Toki glanced around the room attempting to find something to possibly put his mind at ease about what he had done.

His eyes fell to an elaborate painting on the far wall, it was of the former Western Lord in all his true demon glory. For some reason, it had always given Toki the feeling that no matter the circumstances they were under, everything would be alright.

"I truly hope that I made the right decision. I just can't shake the feeling that something dark is going to happen once this is all said and done.

Once again the feeling of calmness washed over him, but only just enough to help him concentrate on his work that had to be done. Toki couldn't help the shiver that went up his spine. Yes, there certainly was something ominous afoot.

*With Sesshomaru*

Sesshomaru's plan was an easy one, even by his high standards. All that needed to be done was to make his way to what would be used as his "experiment" and to test the theory that was mentioned in the scroll that he had read the night before.

Currently, he was walking through the dense woods towards the northern border of his lands making his way to his goal. When he got to the border, there only stood a solid rock wall, to the untrained eye that is.

"Hn, finally a reason to use this portal.

Sesshomaru raised his hand to the rock wall and placed his palm upon it. The rock suddenly began to melt beneath his palm thanks to the massive amount of poison he released. Once there was large enough hole for a man to fit through, Sesshomaru removed his palm, which gave him a full view of the dark swirling vortex.

You see, the portal was placed here long ago, by Sesshomaru's grandfather. Legend told that the former Western Lord had one of the rarest gifts an InuYoukai could have, the gift of "sight." (Or what his father called him, a seer.) Some of his many visions included one of the clan needing to get to a loved one, or help stop a war, but not being able to make it in time. Hence, the idea for the portal came up, a portal which would take you anywhere in this world that you desired. Apparently he had seen many visions in which someone down the line through his family would need it at one time or another. And so he placed it here and "locked it," the key to the portal of course being an InuYoukai's poison.

Sesshomaru stood there for but a moment, until finally deciding to dart into the vortex. The rock wall of course closing itself promptly behind him. Staring straight ahead, willing his destination to appear, he knew the portal would know where to take him, but he still had to say something to activate it's magic.

"Alright, you know where I wish to go."

And with those few words, the portal immediately began to lighten in color and his destination began to appear...

Chapter End Notes:

A/N - Please understand, in the last chapter, it has been three days since Kikyo started tracking Inuyasha and the fight started between Kagome and Inuyasha. So, this chapter is taking place BEFORE they get into a fight while heading back to Kaede's, but it has only been a day since Kikyo began following them.