- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 11 – “The Loss”

“Dearest Inuyasha,

It is a sad day in the Higurashi household. Gramps has finally gone home to be with Grammy in that beautiful place in the sky. I know that now he is at peace and he is with the woman he has missed so dearly for the past twenty years, but, that doesn’t mean that those of us left are having the time of our live either.

I’ve watched Souta over the past few days, trying so hard to hold his emotions together just like you always did. I believe he feels that he must be strong for Mama and me since he is now the man of the house. Numerous times I have tried to talk to him, get him to let it all out, but all he does is frown and turn away; making up some excuse about something needing to be done around the shrine. It’s tearing Mama up inside even more.

Mama, I think I feel even worse for her. Gramps was all she had left of her family before she married Daddy and now that he’s gone she’s so broken. Right now she’s just sitting on his bed staring at his various artifacts around the room with tears running down her cheeks. I’m beginning to fear for her health. She won’t talk to either of us because she doesn’t want to be a burden and I can already see everything taking its toll on her. Already I can see hollows in her cheeks and her eyes becoming sunken in. It’s truly beginning to scare me.”


Inuyasha took a moment to stare at the watermarks and the barely running ink on the yellowed page, silently taking in the old scent of salt, wishing he could have been there to support her in her time of need.

“I just don’t know what to do Inuyasha. I’m trying so hard to keep my family from drifting apart but I just keep losing ground. No matter what I try I can’t get Mama to talk or Souta to let his tears flow freely. This is one of those moments that I wish you were here. Maybe you would have a way to get through and help us get through this grieving process as a family instead of individuals.

I’m sorry. I feel like I’m laying all my problems on your shoulders, but, I just don’t have anyone to cry out to. You’ve no idea how alone I feel right now. Well, I guess you do. Gah! My hand is writing before my brain even has a chance to process my thoughts.

Forgive me if it feels like I’m dumping everything on you. This is one of those times when a girl just needs to let it out. I guess I’ll go give it another round with Souta and Mama.

~Kagome H.”

~~~~


“So much sadness permeates her writing. I feel like she too was trying to hold it together for the sake of her mother.”

Lately, he’d been sharing some of the entries with Kikyo. The reading of an entry becoming a late night routine before going to bed, unless they were doing other “strenuous” activities of course. Sometimes Kikyo helped him see certain things from Kagome’s perspective since she herself was a woman as well.

There were certain things though that Kikyo noticed in Kagome’s journals that she found odd, but she kept those thoughts to herself of course. Perhaps, throughout the next few entries, some of her questions would be answered.

“Ya know,” Inuyasha broke the silence. After setting the book on the nightstand and shutting off the light, he turned to gather Kikyo in his arms. “I knew that by the time we came back into her life the old man might be gone, but I was kinda hoping he wouldn’t be. Gramps always seemed to wryly to let death take him.”

A palm was brought to cradle his cheek. “True. Though you have to remember, we all must face death sometime.”

“Yeah, but Kagome sounded so alone…”

Fingers to his lips stopped him cold. “She did. Though now, although it’s hard to think about, Kagome isn’t alone now wherever she may be.”

Silence overcame the room once again after that. Inuyasha snuggled into Kikyo’s neck, taking in deep gulps of her scent, knowing that it was one of the only things that would keep his emotions in check. The hanyou tried valiantly to not cry out at the loss of another member of his family.

And Kikyo did the only thing she could do; be his pillar of strength as he had been for her and so many others a million times before.

Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 785

WOW – I got SEVENTEEN emails within four hours about people faving, alerting, and reviewing this story. I’ve never had that happen before! Thank you SO much for the kind reviews! And sorry to those of you I made cry.

While you guys are waiting for the next chapter, how about reading “If Only In Reality” – my other fanfic. Once you’ve read it, you won’t get enough.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!