- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 13 – “Moving”
 

She was still in the family room, exactly in the same spot she had been since her husband had presented to her the newest occupant of the mantelpiece. Even though it was far past the hour of bedtime, Kikyo just couldn’t tear her eyes away from Kagome’s gift. In all her years with Inuyasha, never had they received such a thoughtful and heartfelt gift.

“Ye are still here I see.”

Light from the hallway revealed the form of Kaede. Something about seeing her sister right at that moment set something off inside of her which caused another round of tears to fall free from her eyes. The comforting arm of her sister was felt being wrapped around her shoulder; tightening ever more as the silent sobs rocked her frame.

“What has got you so emotional sister?”

Kikyo sniffled and wiped her eyes before answering Kaede, still staring at the gift.

“I had always wondered what those little gadgets were that Kagome had at our wedding. I remember secretly memorizing what every one of them looked like and what they did; determined to find out at a later time how they worked. Over time though, I’d forgotten what they’d looked like, therefore the connection wasn’t made when we finally lived until this century. That is, until tonight.”

She paused for a moment to take in Kaede’s form. Never had she thought that her only blood kin would live for so long. Her presence reminded her of something Kagome had once said long ago.

"You never know Kaede; your soul mate could appear and sweep you off your feet at any given moment."

“Why do you cry Kikyo?”

“It isn’t fair.” She wiped her eyes. “I’ve got this beautiful piece from one of the most important days in my life and you don’t.”

A knurled hand was felt rubbing soothing circles on her back. Calmness overtook Kikyo, the same one that soothed her when she was small and her mother was comforting her. Dear Lord it was annoying to have to keep reminding herself that Kaede wasn’t her mother; although, in a way, she could be considered as such. Besides, of course, being older than them all (except Inuyasha), her elderly sister had stepped in and became the matriarch to all of the family; becoming the mother to so many that had lost their own. Even when Cornelius came along he had, naturally, become her counterpart and took on the role as everyone’s father without even a second thought.

“It matters not Kikyo what I do or do not have. What matters is that we have our memories,”

“And that we have each other.”

Both looked over to the hall to find Cornelius leaning against the doorframe, smiling lovingly at them. Casually, he walked towards them and gathered Kaede into his arms, kissing her chastely on the cheek before turning back to Kikyo.

“I understand that I never met Kagome, but, I believe that I’ve heard enough of her tales to guess that she wouldn’t have wanted you to fret over frivolous things. She seemed like a woman who only wanted to make others happy and I am certain that is what she was trying to do for you and Inuyasha. From the events that have taken place and the clues given within her journals so far, that has been her only goal from the beginning.”

“Such an insightful man you are my love.” Kaede smiled up at him.

“And that is one of the many reasons why you married me.” He gave her a kiss before gathering her up into his arms and headed out the door.

“I hear the bed calling our names so we bid you goodnight dear Kikyo.”

Silently, Kikyo watched as Cornelius carried Kaede back their room. It still amazed her how a demon of his immense age still possessed the strength to do such a thing. That though was something to ponder on later, for her bed too was calling out to her.

Rising from her seat and stretching her muscles, the hanyou’s wife made her way across the room to the hall. She prepared to shut off the light, but, not before taking one last gaze at the glittering gold frame that encased one of the most memorable moments in her and Inuyasha’s life;

Their first kiss as husband and wife.

Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 731

Side note – those last two lines were intended to rhyme, total coincidence.

Also, Cornelius is the name of Kaede's husband. Yes he is a demon, a very old demon and he is from a different continent. (Hence his odd name)


PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!